Do you regret coming to HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (89 posts)
  1. SPomposello profile image68
    SPomposelloposted 12 years ago

I wasn't sure where to post this, so anyway... Before I started writing here, I was choosing whether to go with a site that pays per views (i.e. Triond, ExpertsColumn) or per ad click (HubPages). Before starting to write on HP, I wrote 18 articles on Triond, then I went full-fledge with HP because the community is great, you can do a lot with your hubs in terms of set-up, etc., and ad clicks can have unlimited earning potential depending on certain factors.

Well, it's a year later and now I'm looking back.

Triond
    Articles: 18
    Views: 2738
    Earnings: $4.06

HubPages
    Articles: 50
    Views: 3520
    Earnings: $5.51 (from HP ad program)

If I were to apply my total views from HP to Experts Column (which is $1.50 per 1000 views) then my earnings would be approx. $5.25, a quarter less than what I earned on HP. But looking at Triond, I reached the $4 mark with only 18 articles and nearly 3000 views). I reached past the $5 mark on HP with over 3000 views but it took me 50 articles, nearly double the amount I wrote on Triond.

I guess you can say I'm kinda going through some form of buyer's remorse and wondering whether or not I made the right decision. Any thoughts, advice?

1. profile image50
      Shiny new accountposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL If you made $9 last year as a writer I think you need a new profession smile

SPomposelloposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you like picking on people, I think you need a new attitude and to get the heck off of Hubpages, thank you very much. Apparently, you know nothing about the work and sweat that goes into making money online.

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You may know about the work and sweat but apparently you missed the part about not making the majority of your Hubs on topics which are heavily over-saturated and extremely low-paying. 

BTW, I calculated that your 2011 Hub ad earnings represent .07 percent compared to what I earned.

I can understand that part, and I am planning to branch out, but right now those topics are where my passion lies at this moment. However, my point is that the way the above poster went about saying what he said was completely uncalled for.

1. brittanytodd profile image89
              brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If it's about passion, why are you so obsessed with earnings?

2. bgamall profile image68
            bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's cold Relache. You must be a libertarian. smile

1. seanorjohn profile image72
              seanorjohnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't see why that makes relache a libertarian!

2. relache profile image72
              relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cold?  When someone has devoted the majority of their efforts to the topic of entertainment, I'd say my comments were honest.

As far as libertarianism goes, I have not found a political party or label anywhere in the world whose beliefs or actions suitably matched up with mine such that I would identify myself using their choice of name.  I remain unlabeled.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You want to know what I hate on this site more than anything else? Pansy ass wimps like you who open up a fake sock puppet account all for the sole purpose of mocking someone else, when in reality, you lack the cajones to do it under your regular account name and profile.  Shame on you sir.

1. mega1 profile image81
          mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't let them get to ya, Steven!  that's their plan - just to irritate, annoy, and distract and get attention.

Anyway, nice to see you!

1. profile image0

I know, but I just don't like seeing other people getting kicked when they're down like that, as that's just classless if you ask me. 

However, there's no worries, as i already forgotten about the sock puppet already.  lol.  Anyway, it's good to see you too Mega, as always. smile

2. profile image0

To be honest, I think it really depends on what you're expecting to get out of writing on hubpages.  Are you here for the joy of writing about your favorite films?  Or you trying to make money?  It really depends.  Personally, I can understand how you feel, as I too have pondered this question more than a few times.  In fact, I still ponder it to this day, but I stay because of a promise I made to a good friend of mine a while back. It's a long story. 

However, I can certainly see where you're coming from, as I too haven't made a lot of money on this site either; in spite of popular opinion.  If anything, I've only gotten paid out through adsense once, and I've gotten maybe only a 100 bucks so far in HP ad programs, but that's about it.  I haven't really earned much else.  Amazon and E-Bay earnings are a joke for me, as I can make more than that easily working less than one hour at my day job. 

Sure, I was on the right track before the panda hit, but now I'm lucky if I earn maybe one penny from adsense every other month since. 

However, I have been trying to learn more ways to get my links out there on google though, so hopefully that'll help.  If you want, you can register with twitterfeed and hellotxt though, as that's one good way to get your links automatically distributed across multiple social sites like facebook, twitter, myspace and such.  I don't know if that helps you or not, but I hope it does.  I do hope your traffic picks up soon, as I have to say your probably one of the best film critics on this site, so it would be a real shame if you left us.  In fact, I encourage everyone on this forum that wants to read a great review on a bad movie to check out your profile.

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unless I am missing something here you seem to be under the impression HP's Ad Program pays on clicks. It actually pays on 'impressions' (essentially views of your pages). Don't know if this helps or not, but just thought you should know. You would get paid on clicks if you opted for Adsense over HP's Ad program here though, so you do have a choice. You might want to experiment by doing a month on each to see which one pays better for your type of writing.

To answer your original question, no, I don't regret coming here as I do well right now financially from HP, but I have had many 'post Panda' frustrations with HP, and wasted endless hours making trivial changes they demanded at the time.

edit: I see you joined a year ago, so then you would have been paid on clicks through HP. I think this is what you were saying and I misunderstood. Sorry smile

4. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I make that amount here per month!! I have just 16 hubs and you with 50 and a year make that much??

Well, I just reached 50 like a week ago. My first month I only had a few hubs and HP Ad Program wasn't even available yet.

5. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmm I made 0.03 at Triond - and several thousand times more at Hubpages! what's not to like!

6. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can only say I'm surprised, because I've known several people write on Triond and they generally do much worse there than here on HP.  Maybe it has to do with the subjects you write on?

One big reservation I have about Triond - I don't know if it's changed, but isn't it impossible to delete your articles?

As for HP, it seems to me if that's all you've earned in 12 months, you're doing something wrong. I notice you've posted the names of your other websites/blogs on your profile but haven't made them hyperlinks - that suggests to me that you have very little idea about self-promotion.  I suggest you sign up for a free trial at the Keyword Academy to learn the basics (you don't have to buy the program after the trial).

7. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No I have no regrets about coming to Hp's. In fact I have met many new friends here. This also a great site to learn if you take the time to find things out. There are plenty of hubs on Keywords and SEO  which I suggest you read, if that is all you have made in a year. Has for making money on Triond, I have struggled there to make hardly anything. Stick with Hp's is my advice to you.

8. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm in the same boat as you, S. I have been here 8 months and have averaged about a dollar a month. I suppose if I had time to write more Hubs (and I had sixteen hours a day to do nothing but post backlinks to those Hubs all over the internet), I'd be in better shape, but quite frankly, I am not worried about it. I didn't join this site expecting to get rich. I'm just having fun writing about goofy sh*t. smile

9. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's early days for me still.. I will give it another couple of years and see if I break the 5 cents a month mark, before I start to have any regrets

10. Marisa Wright profile image87

I just read this again and it made me wonder - have you signed up for the HP Earnings Program?  If not, why not?  Most Hubbers find it is far more profitable than Adsense alone.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I don't. I make at least 50 times more here than i do at Triond.

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I don't regret things I do. So, no.

1. ryannaylor profile image60
      ryannaylorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess it depends on why you're here. Certainly not for the money...thanks for the insight.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And you are who exactly and know why I am here how? roll

4. Richieb799 profile image77
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Nowhere has come close to the earnings I make at HP, HP is very easy to use and has the ranking power to gain views. One of my hubs continues to earn a lot for me, it pays my car insurance and my money for indulgences each month smile

5. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 12 years ago

I only regret being here when I spend too much time in the forums instead of doing other things and writing more hubs!  and I regret it when I have to read silly s**t from people who put other people down in the forums - like "shiny new" who has 0 hubs and obviously just wants to annoy people.  It is a waste of time what they do.  And probably it is a waste of time what I do in the forums - being silly and writing huge, long responses that nobody reads - but it fills some need I have so, I am satisfied.  If not, I wouldn't be here.  Duh!

1. Seek-n-Find profile image70
      Seek-n-Findposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your comment made me laugh.  (laughing with you, not at you).  The forums can be addicting in a good way--and in a not very good way.  :-)

6. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

No regrets at all. smile

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Really?  You are seeing $5 in a year of 50 hubs? Man. Or did you only have a few hubs for most of that year?

8. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

Steven and mega, it was really nice to see you two stick up for someone like that.  smile  That's what I love about this community (and why I NEVER have regrets about joining it).

9. Anamika S profile image67
    Anamika Sposted 12 years ago

No, I don't! I think writing on HubPages was the best decision I have made. I write on many other sites. I have a couple of Blogs and websites. I am a Ghost Writer to a celebrity. I write on a couple of Television/Bollywood (India) Sites. I have many clients I write content for... But HubPages was where I started first... It is my Hubs which got me many things that followed... It is because of HubPages many people took notice of me... Many times I earn much more than HubPages elsewhere, but I definitely do earn a stable income here (I would not disclose how much though)... I learned a lot of things here in the 3 years I spend here than elsewhere... So I am grateful to be here... and I don't regret being here.

10. brittanytodd profile image89
    brittanytoddposted 12 years ago

You aren't supposed to tell others the amounts of your earnings...it's against the ToS.  If you aren't making money here and do not want to learn how, then you could try somewhere else.  I am doing just fine.  HubPages is awesome not only for the earnings, but the community.

1. profile image0

Really?  Are you serious?  Hmm..I guess I must've missed that part of the TOS. If that's the case, then aren't all the hubbers that open up threads boasting about their first payouts or how much money they're making are technically guilty of breaking the tos agreement?  i only ask because your the first person that brought that up, as far as i know.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87

Yes it does say this under the 'Payment' section of the TOS. Quote:

"You acknowledge and agree that You will not publicly disclose Your payments or Earned Balance (including any subcomponents thereof) from the HubPages Earnings Program without prior written consent of HubPages."

1. profile image0

That's good to know.  Thanks for the warning, but does that mean when people open up forums bragging about how they made their first payout are technically guilty of violating the TOS agreement then?

Sometimes.  Read the ToS.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87

Who knows? It is a bit vague, but I am guessing it is not okay to publish exact figures, be them per day or per month. Best to check with the HP Team if in doubt though. Saying you 'made your first payout' seems okay to me, as that is a huge variable and can change from month to month. It is like saying you have now got 'x' amount of followers, this varies too, so is not really giving anything away in terms of HP's private info.

2. SPomposello profile image68

That's rather strange, because I see sooo many hub topics about how much they earned this and this month and they even post screen shots of their earnings. Well, I guess I'll have to edit out my earnings in this post then.

Yeah, they are breaking the ToS.  You should flag those hubs.

2. SPomposello profile image68

Oh nevermind, I just realized that its too late to edit the original post. Ahh, well, HP Staff, if you're reading this, feel free to delete the original post or the entire thread if required. My apologies.

You should contact the staff via email.  Maybe try Cagsil, as I know he is a forum moderator.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
              Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No he isn't smile

2. Cagsil profile image71
              Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Brittany,

Please do not go around telling people that I am a forum moderator. As far as I know and can tell, I am not.

I don't work for HubPages and I am not paid by HubPages for any such service.

Oh sorry!!!  I guess what I read must have been a joke or something...So sorry about this, Ray!

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

I wouldn't panic too much about it, personally.

The HP Earnings Program is actually fairly new.  Before that, we earned through Adsense, Amazon and eBay and it was perfectly OK to discuss earnings for those programs - you just couldn't be specific about earnings per click etc.

Sounds like the TOS was changed when the Earnings Program was launched and of course, most of us skimmed them and didn't notice that detail!  However, I've seen lots of people still discussing their earnings and never seen a staff member pull them up on it, so I wouldn't get too anxious.

2. andersonmoore profile image58
      andersonmooreposted 12 years ago

I spend too much time in the forums instead of doing other things and writing more hubs!  It was really nice to see you two stick up for someone like that.

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image91
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

Hopefully, previous answers have addressed your monetary concerns. I understand that earnings are a huge part of the attraction for many Hubbers and agree with that fact. They are of course also important to me, even though I haven't the faintest idea what some previous posters are talking about!!! smile

I joined Hub Pages a number of lifetimes ago (in personal terms) back in 2007. Since then, I have lost a business (thanks, Tony bloody Blair!) two homes and she who was the love of my life - but I have made two (at least!) wonderful friends directly through Hub Pages, both of whom I will treasure forever.

Regret coming to Hub Pages? Never in a million years! Love being here and feel privileged and honoured to be allowed to be a part of this wonderful community...

4. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Oh yea, you can also try using "shetoldme.com" if you like, as it's a great bookmarking site to use.

edit: Plus, redgage works pretty well too.

5. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I vaguely remember somebody from HP saying somewhere in the forums that it is not permitted to reveal the CPM, but it is OK to state total earnings.

Thus, I guess it is not OK to give earnings + views, since the CPM can be calculated from that.

I recently entered the $20-30 bracket for monthly earnings here.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There was this thread by livelonger (who is HP staff), and it shows what can be shared and what can't (I think):

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/86117

As for the regret thing, I don't regret finding this site.  What I regret is that when I started I didn't really think I could earn anything, so I didn't get into the habit of writing more Hubs.  I didn't want to risk "wasting" too much time writing Hubs and instead used that time for other efforts.

If I had a couple of thousand Hubs instead of the few hundred that I now have I'd be making very decent money now (instead of "pretty decent" money).

Mentioning earnings in forums is tricky, and it's too bad.  On the one hand, a lot of people won't say they're earning anything because a) they don't want to come across as "bragging", and b) they're concerned about being targeted by thieves of of sort or another.  On the other hand,  a lot of new people (or even not so new people) are under the impression that one can't make money (mostly because the people who feel free to mention money are the ones who have had trouble making any).  My only reason for wanting to mention earnings is to encourage anyone who doesn't think he can earn by writing Hubs.  It kind of bothers me when I see people thinking that because I know if they hang in and find the kind of Hubs that work for them they can.

I've been in the hundreds a month bracket since eight/nine months after signing up.  In comparison, with 500 so-called "articles" on Helium I was in the $30/$40 bracket (minus any extras like purchased licenses) before I got sick of rating and decided it wasn't worth it.  (I say "so-called" because when I signed up with Helium 5 years ago it was a matter of "write whatever you feel like writing for whatever titles were offered".  My stuff there really wasn't always an "article", but a lot of my Hubs aren't either.)

For me, the mix of subjects and types of Hubs has worked because between better performing Hubs and consistently (but less stellar) performing Hubs that add up with other non-dynamic performers; the earnings eventually add up.  I've got some that are such poor performers they don't earn every month - but then the next month a whole other bunch of non-performers will fill in where those left off.

I have , I think, 4 articles on Triond.  I tend to make about 38 cents a month (or thereabouts) on those.   lol   lol

In any case, I don't regret finding HubPages because it offers the kind of flexibility I want for my non-work-time writing.  There's a lot of stuff that goes on on here (or any site like this) that does get kind of tiring; but in the scheme of things (and my liking my earnings here), they're kind of the least of my problems.  I know what I could do to earn more than I do on here, but I don't have the time and/or inclination to do any of those things.  It's enough for me to know, though, that if I did them I'd be earning that "very well" on here, rather than just the "pretty well".  (By the time "spare" time is available I don't have a lot of energy left for much more effort than I already put in.)

6. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I don't regret a minute of it.  HubPages has given me an outlet and a new hobby.  From being an internet asshole whose main aim in life was to make sarcastic comments on forums to becoming a writer - HubPages and the community feedback has given me room and encouragement to grow.

After a year or so of this I can call myself an article writer without feeling like a fraud.

In addition, there is so much to learn and HP is brilliant for that.  Working on your own, in the dark, on your own website somewhere is much more difficult.

Finally.  Money.  I still have hope even if no actual money worth talking about.  It will come as I learn, and write, more.

Thanks HP!

7. LoriSoard profile image66
      LoriSoardposted 12 years ago

I know a lot of people making good money on HP, which is why I've been trying to focus my efforts here and build a residual income. I think it takes time and experimenting and patience. Use tools like Google Keywords to come up with good titles and topics that people are interested in and I think you'll start to do well.

I do think HP is worth the effort. I haven't tried the other site, so I can't really compare them, but I was on Bukisa for a while and it was a complete waste of my time and then they said my Adsense wasn't working when nothing at all had changed. I like that HP lets me track my earnings daily.

8. Rik Ravado profile image86
      Rik Ravadoposted 12 years ago

I'm earning around 7 times what I was earning 6 months ago with very few new hubs. I'm amazed how much people complain about HubPages earnings. If this is bad then the other sites must virtually allow you to print cash!

9. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 12 years ago

I have no regrets whatsoever. HP made me what i am today in terms of having a presence online, and im doing things i never dreamed i will be able to do ever since i came here.
      I write on a number of sites Infobarrel, Squidoo, etc., but none of them come close to HP in terms of imparting knowledge about article writing, and earning potentials.

I know nothing much about Trinod and from what i gather there is no comparison anyway.

10. mega1 profile image81
      mega1posted 12 years ago

If we're all making on average $1 a month - imagine HP's share of 100,000 hubbers!  that's pretty good - now if I could only scheme some online dream that would pay off like that!

1. viryabo profile image94
        viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

11. leahlefler profile image93
      leahleflerposted 12 years ago

My only regret is not signing up earlier - I would have had far more hubs by this point in time. My monthly earnings paid for my son's audiology appointment today - it is a huge relief on our finances to have the extra cash!

12. wordscribe43 profile image91
      wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

Oh my goodness, NO!  No regrets whatsoever, HP has been great for me in too many ways to list.  The key is persistence, learning, applying what you learn, patience and the ability to enjoy the process.  Plus, it's such a great community of people and staff. How could I regret any of it?

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
        wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I second that!

13. Aiden Roberts profile image67
      Aiden Robertsposted 12 years ago

I haven't posted for a while but felt compelled to do so when I read this thread. You have been given very good advice in some replies and the secret is to pick out the bits that will help you move your hubs on; ignore the rest.

Hubpages have some great tutorials for improving your hubs, niches, keywords etc... study them, read others hubs and think about what makes them good or bad then figure out how the good can be applied to your hubs.

Hubpages has become a good source of income for many, not overnight but after hard work, research and patience. There will be plenty who have tried and given up; don't be one of them, instead look at your topics and see if you can do anything different or better.

Am I sorry I joined Hubpages? Absolutely not as without it I wouldn't be doing half of the things online that I do today.

Don't give up, don't spend too much time looking for greener grass; simply make what you do now better!

Good Luck

Aiden

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
        Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great advice, Aiden!

14. Rik Ravado profile image86
      Rik Ravadoposted 12 years ago

I think things have got better since the Panda changes.  I worry less and less about SEO and artificial backlinking. Good writing seems to be rewarded far more than in the past.

I'm also grateful to the many people who have shared good advice here over the years.  long may HubPages continue!

15. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't worry about your OP, if it was wrong to discuss as you have, it would have been closed to reply or staff would have posted a comment. I'm sure this thread title would have caught their attention.

No, I don't regret finding HP. I enjoy writing here and being part of the community. I was skeptical about earnings, but make a monthly payout now, have a decent page rank, write when I have time (which isn't as often as I like), find amazing people from around the world, and read some of the best articles online.
      Learn as much as you can and do your best, that's about all the advice I can offer.
      And you don't have to write a zillion hubs to make money. There's plenty of great advice in the learning center.

16. Don Simkovich profile image59
      Don Simkovichposted 12 years ago

I like writing on HP even though I don't earn nearly as much as other writers who have produced at the same level as me. However, I like the fact that I own the rights to my hubs and can re-publish the content (rewritten, of course) elsewhere. I'm really gearing up to turn a few of mine into ebooks and see how those sell. Just keep producing quality work, consistently, and you'll see some positive returns.

1. seanorjohn profile image72
        seanorjohnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ebooks are the future. Free publishing and no excuses for not publishing and seeing if people want to read your works. Good luck and hope you have success.

17. seanorjohn profile image72
      seanorjohnposted 12 years ago

No. But hubpages might regret coming to me.

18. Cardia profile image76
      Cardiaposted 12 years ago

Nope! No regrets with joining Hubpages!

19. Ian Dabasori Hetr profile image75
      Ian Dabasori Hetrposted 12 years ago

Steven and Mega. I admire how you to answered this question. Writing is an art and true writers are artist themselves that blend wisdom with creativity to produce brilliant results. You both have that. When someone asks for advice, give him, don't make a mockery out of it. What if you were the one who was in that situation and needed answer? I find it quit disturbing to see some hubbers acting like infants with their irrational and illogical comments in a highly professional forum like this. Ask yourself if you are a mature adult or an infant still bottle feeding. I can bluntly say this because we want responsible, rational, mature writers here in Hubpages.

Give help and you will be given help.

Cheers all.

20. Bard of Ely profile image79
      Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

Not at all! HubPages for me personally is the best site to put my writings on though I am nowhere near the high earners here in what I make.

21. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I used to think Hubpages was great, but now I am having serious second thoughts. I put a huge amount of work into this site, where, fair enough, in return I got a huge amount of forum support, but now I feel it was all a waste of time.

I am putting the hubs back that I took offline because my traffic and earnings fell through the floor, despite the fact that those hubs never got traffic anyway. Taking them away seemed to knock my top hubs down a few points (not to mention all the broken links because my hubs are largely interlinked in some way or another).

I can only put a few back each day due to bandwidth restrictions.

I still have ideas for new hubs, in fact I am bursting with them LOL, but I might put them on Wizzley instead because I feel like publishing here is like flagging a dead horse.

1. profile image0
        andycoolposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Better late than never. smile

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Andy, I can't see the point of your post. What do you mean "better late than never"?
          HP was a great experience for me up until recently. I am only talking about my circumstances which are quite different from nearly everyone else, for some reason.

2. Don Simkovich profile image59
        Don Simkovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wizzely? Now that's a site I haven't heard of.

22. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 12 years ago

Yes. I'm addicted to this place irrespective of my traffic and earnings.

23. isis7542 profile image59
      isis7542posted 12 years ago

I do not regret coming to hubpages as it is a pool of wealth in the way you can express your self in your writing get some wonderfull help from other hubbers.

24. Ehtesham12 profile image41
      Ehtesham12posted 12 years ago

Nope..In first few days,I little regret but when i write my first hub from then its nice to be here

25. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

I like the crazy and or helpful forums, the friendly friends and the ease of writing here.

Money?

Apparently that's a fat chance in the near future, but this place is more full of humans than WordPress, works better than Helium and offers more freedom to write than Allvoices.

26. bruzzbuzz profile image60
      bruzzbuzzposted 12 years ago

I do not regret coming to Hubpages. I have met a number of great people and my earnings go up with every hub I write. Here is a question I am wondering about. I see that people state that you either opt for Hubpages ad program or Adsense. Can't you opt into both of them? Thanks for your help.

27. WD Curry 111 profile image58
      WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

How can I regret something that is free? Look around. You can do what you want with this gig. The learning experience and talent pool are invaluable. I see how this hotrod runs!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5769412_f520.jpg

Look at the size of that search engine! Big brother's hotrod runs on key words, baby, keep slinging them!

1. KeithTax profile image72
        KeithTaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WD, a fat lip is free. I'd regret that.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
          Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You really need at least 50 hubs before you start to see results. I get the payout from HP most months, but lately it's been short a little. Then you have to wait. Backlinking doesn't seem to help anymore, so just write about what you know and like. Other sites do not give you much creative freedom. Even the way HP has the gray lines around your hub at least separates your writing from all the ads. Some sites only allow 1 picture, or none. We have to cite sources here, but some have ridiculous footnote systmes that I've never seen (my degreee is in business and I never had to write huge papers). The stats go up and down, and I get discouraged. But compared to other sites, HP is good. Having said that, and also that many are getting paid by HP instead of Google, I don't think HP is in a good financial situation.

1. Beth100 profile image71
            Beth100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a serious accusation you are pointing at HP.  Unless you are familiar with their financial statements and have up to date copies of their financials, I would suggest that you never make this accusation towards any coporate organization (online, in person or otherwise). 

With respect to the OP,

Absolutely not. I have no regrets.  I came here to write and to build my portfolio.  I have and am doing both.  The income is a welcome addition to my efforts.  smile

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
              Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you are over reacting. It wasn't an accusation, I think it's a valid concern. Hubpages was not paying writers directly before, so that money was not coming from their pockets. Now it is. It has to have a direct effect on their financial situation. Neutral statement. Nothing more, nothing less.

2. WD Curry 111 profile image58
          WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

True dat!

28. marriedwithdebt profile image78
      marriedwithdebtposted 12 years ago

Just popping in to make sure that EVERY forum topic contained personal insults from sock puppets and braggadocio from established elite users.

Check!

Back to writing...

1. WD Curry 111 profile image58
        WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey come back here, I haven't thought of an insult yet!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)