Will you defend this?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (31 posts)
  1. CaribeM profile image71
    CaribeMposted 13 years ago

"An Arizona elementary school mural featuring the faces of kids who attend the school has been the subject of constant daytime drive-by racist screaming, from adults, as well as a radio talk-show campaign (by an actual city councilman, who has an AM talk-radio show) to remove the black student's face, and now the school principal has ordered the faces of the Latino and Black students to be changed to Caucasian skin."

Read the whole story here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/0 … 01436.html

Will you defend this? Why?

1. Valerie F profile image61
      Valerie Fposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, the good news is that the mural will not be changed. The bad news is that the principal didn't grow a backbone until after the Huffington Post article.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's good.

Publicity really does work doesn't it? smile

2. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

That is very sad and I hope that someone steps up to put a stop to it before they actually disfigure the mural.

CaribeMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, some people are asking to send e-mails to the school Director to ask him to keep the mural in its original form. Let's see what happens.

On the other hand, I wonder if this issue has something to do with the "Non-racist" new Arizona law... roll

Just what I was thinking smile

3. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

You can't defend it because it is indefensible! The mural should be representative of all the students who attend the school.  How are these people even trying to defend this type of racism???

CaribeMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you... Thank God we don't have anyone around in Hubpages that will defend this.

I'm very glad!!!

Don't hold your breath...

4. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

Um, I don't live in or anywhere near Arizona but isn't that one giant step backwards for mankind?  I thought we were past that garbage.

1. lovemychris profile image77
      lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That garbage is always there...it just is allowed to flourish more now that they have "legitimate" voices behind it.
      Limbaugh makes racists statements and little innuendo's all the time. Glenn Beck does too. Sarah Palin and her "real" Americans...who do you think she means by that? It aint immigrants in Arizona!!! Or me, a liberal white person, for that matter either!

Ugly is back, and legitimized by people like them.
      And it's heavy against Muslims too. Any muslim.

It's real dis-heartening, but it's there, and only one way to deal with it: fight back!

I

5. Polly C profile image91
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

What an awful thing to happen! It's so disgusting that it is almost unbelievable - I am shocked for words, to be honest, that anything like this should happen in a first world country. Where are these people's minds at? And children faces as well - totally inexcusable!

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I think they should set up a camera there and plaster the faces of those who yell the racist insults all over the place. See how they like it when they are not anonymous...

And the talk radio campaign must be against some FCC rule shouldn't it?

1. Ohma profile image60
      Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that is a great idea.
      The school should set up recording equipment that feeds to a projector on the courthouse step that project to one of those inflatable drive in screens and broadcasts this all over downtown. see how quick it stops.

I like it!

2. lovemychris profile image77
      lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rush and co...all of them, get away with MURDER!!! Insurrection really....
      Race hate, women hate, immigrant hate, liberal hate, Obama hate...hate hate hate hate and misleading "facts".

Yet, you can't talk about breasts and peepee's.

Obama the Magic Negro is not offensive, but Howard Stern making fart jokes is.

So glad we have a new FCC now....maybe they will reverse the trend.

7. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 13 years ago

I had to check my calendar..holy cow..it's 2010.yikes

Whew...for a second there I thought it was 1964 or something... roll

8. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

It must be made known that discrimination, in any form, will not be tolerated and that illegal immigrants who have entered the country illegally are breaking the law by being here and are not being discriminated against.

This case has nothing to do with illegal immigrants.

The proponents of that bill are capitalizing on what racism really does exist against all Latinos whether you want to admit it or not. I believe that is causing things like this to happen; I doubt it would have happened otherwise.

Suddenly illegal immigrants (read Mexicans) are blamed for every wrong in American society...

1. Rafini profile image83
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand this case doesn't involve illegal immigration - it's a matter of being in Arizona. 

Discrimination will soon be a concept of the past since it has been proven that a black mans DNA can be 98% white. 

It isn't important whether or not I 'admit' there is racism against Latinos or illegal immigrants.  What is important is I feel discrimination, in any form, should not be tolerated - and I don't think Arizona's immigration law is discriminatory.

9. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Are sales of white sheets and pillow cases on the increase here??

10. raisingme profile image76

I think this may well have its roots in the reactions after 911 when the entire nation and it's allies were  in a state of shock.  Out of that state of shock many decisions were made without consideration of future consequences and those whose purpose it served to push forth their adgendas such as racial prejudice, capitalized on the instability of a nation who was frantically trying to redefine itself.  At the time I lived a five minute drive from the US border (providing the traffic lights were all green).  We used to cross three or four times a week and freely visited our many friends on the other side of "the line".  I am a 5'4" female, mother of three children, retired business owner who got a speeding ticket when I was twenty.  That's it for my run in with "the law" until the last time I went down to visit friends in Washington State.  One and a half hours of being well and thoroughly interigated by three border guards (all three at once) five minutes from my home has dampened my enthusiasm for travelling anywhere in the US.  I haven't been back since.  It is a sad thing when we treat our friends as enemies.  The once bustling little town on the other side of the border is all but dead and I have heard that other border towns have suffered the same fate.  I could go on here but I will refrain.  Suffice it to say that it is the first time in my life I have been treated bady because of my nationality and it was an unwelcome experience.  My heart goes out to those who experience it on a daily basis!

I don't quite understand...were you entering the country legally? It sounds like it, from Canada - am I wrong?  The main thing is, you were only coming to visit.  I'm sorry you had to suffer through an interrogation like that but I'm sure you can understand the reasoning behind tightened border security.

1. raisingme profile image76
        raisingmeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh I understand the reasoning.  And I understand how an individual responds when in shock...and an entire nation was in shock and has suffered several shocks since in the form of Katrina and now the BP mess.  The incident I speak of took place quite some time after 911 and yes I was entering the country legally as I have done thousands of times in my lifetime.  It is the contrast between before and after 911...before 911 we were treated as friends, after not so much.  And yes Canada, we were not even allowed to get trained, professional crews down to help our neighbours fight an out of control fire in neighbouring Washington and Idaho last summer.  Tightened security yes, bullying and intimidating no.  The truth of the situation for me is that I have more very good friends living in the states than I do here.  When they have come to visit me they have had trouble getting home...not up here...but home.  We keep in touch by facebook for the most part and at times, though not near as frequently as in the past, one or more of them will brave the border.  Also, it is not consistant - some days it is not a problem and other days it is a royal pain in the nether regions!

We so rarely hear of issues with the Canadian border, I'm saddened to hear about it.  I don't understand the point in interrogating anyone at the border unless they're suspect in some way or another - and I would think the same border guards are there on a regular basis, just like any other job.  So, how ridiculous for them to remember you one day and be intimidating another.  You would think in the case of a fire the border guards could understand why a bunch of Canadians with fire trucks and/or gear would suddenly be at the border wanting across...do we really want to succumb to what Bin Ladin wanted?  To stand alone....

May I suggest you write an article about your experiences?  Canadian Border Crossing Experiences before and after 9/11.  I would be very interesting in reading something like that.

That is an idea.  Thank you.  I haven't been on a plane since 9/11 that I don't think about those people.  And I often wonder what they would think of what our world has become since their passing.

Do you think they'd understand?

Understand, Yes!  Agree?  I'm not so sure.

11. raisingme profile image76

The point I am making in my posts here is that if I as a grown woman, 3/4's of my way through my life find being treated the way I was at the border (and I had the good sense not to take it personally) difficult and uncomfortable what then is it like for a child to experience it on a daily basis in his or her own neighbourhood.  To take the pictures down on the school in Arizona is to make those children wrong for something they have no control over - the culture they were born into being their only crime.  The thought of wiping out the faces of those children makes me want to cry.  The same way I cried when I was 12 years old, living 800 miles north of the American border and seeing on the front page of our local newspaper the face of a boy, the same age as me, staring out through the bars of a jail cell - he was black.  I was very grateful that my freckles might get me teased but they were not considered an offence!

12. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 13 years ago

Just to play a bit of devil's advocate here--is there any record of murals in inner city schools depicting only minorities?

I'd assume not.

not in my son's school.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)