Have You Ever Made an article based on keyword research....

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Smart Rookie profile image60
    Smart Rookieposted 13 years ago

..only to find that, a day later, someone else has used that exact same long-tail keyword to create a page somewhere that boosts themselves onto Google's front page and messes with your ranking in search engine results?

Am I just paranoid? I doubt it. Share your thoughts on this, please.

1. barryrutherford profile image75
      barryrutherfordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No

not Yet !

2. Spacey Gracey profile image40
      Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope - but if it helps cheer you up I have written a hub, spent ages on it, only to realise that when I did my competiton research I had made a typo and it wasn't quite such a niche as I thought - think 1 miliion other pages on google, instead of the 7,000 I found initially.

2. Sheila Wilson profile image86
    Sheila Wilsonposted 13 years ago

sorry, I didn't mean to. LOL
    Just kidding.. maybe..

I don't do nearly as much SEO research for my hubs as I do for my websites. For hubs, I only use the Wordtracker SEO blogger plugin for KW suggestions and make sure no other hubs are written on my topic.

Smart Rookieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aha! I knew it was you! XD

Seriously, though, just to clarify, I wasn't referring to any of my hubs. It seems Wordtracker is just the tip of the iceberg in research. If I may I ask, would you mind elucidating on your more thorough research methods?

1. Sheila Wilson profile image86
        Sheila Wilsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh, I wish I could, but I was literally sworn to secrecy. I have an awesome client for whom I have written web content articles for years. He's an SEO expert and has taught me a lot. (He's also the one who told me about HubPages.) I promised not to share information with anyone.

But yes, it involves more than WordTracker, but I find WordTracker to be an excellent starting point.

SEO is awesome. I still smile when my articles are within the top 5 Google results.

3. Dale Mazurek profile image61
    Dale Mazurekposted 13 years ago

I never sweat the small stuff.  Things are going to happen.

I do my keyword research, do my seo and write.  I write hundreds and thousands of articles and trust me many do flop. 

I have no time to worry about the ones that flop though.

I just focus on whats working and go from there.

Cheers

Dale

Thanks, Dale. I appreciate the words of wisdom. I'm just at the beginning stages of seeing stuff starting to come together, so I suppose I got a bit wrapped up in it.

On another note, my small collection of hubs here is actually something of an embarrassment to me. It's a little experiment in writing sales oriented copy in some hubs, mixing it up in with blunt, "edgy" emotional appeal in others, and sarcastic humor and absurdity in others. Together it's a small portfolio of badly performing tripe, and I'm thinking of wiping it all out and starting over with a more professional attitude. But I digress.

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

This is called competition LOL

5. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 13 years ago

I do refine my keywords but never write with the express intent of generating views--that way if/when it actually happens I'm a bit proud.

Oh, and perplexed. Here's a shot of some of the keywords used to find one of my hubs:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_BRMr2D3unLI/TAqSe5afDaI/AAAAAAAAAJ0/7dUihE_pAQU/s800/keyword.png

6. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

Here is a clue, one reason you do keyword research is to find low competition niches. It sounds like that was what you were doing, so why are you surprised when someone else does the same and knocks you off your perch.

Because the page that is outranking mine was thrown together with a quick paragraph, an embedded youtube video, a news feed, and an amazon capsule. According to Google, it published and indexed within hours after my article.

I know there are tons of off-page SEO tactics out there from the slightly shady to those that outright rig the entire system. I just don't know the extent of what I'm dealing with here.

By off-page SEO, do you mean promoting your articles and getting links? Just out of curiosity, what do you consider shady off-page SEO? I guess I would only consider off-page SEO to be shady if it involved some sort of automated system or SPAM.

That's pretty much what I mean - automated  content spinning and spamming to get backlinks.

7. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

If someone does better, then you just have to improve what you have done... Everyone has competition, even if you have free reign today, it will not be long before someone tries to knock you off your perch..

very true.. and considering the evolution of search engines, what works today may not work tomorrow.

8. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

I'm sure it happens fairly often with the amount of new hubs every day. OK start again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)