I got a gunea pig

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Ms Chievous profile image67
    Ms Chievousposted 13 years ago

This is the first  guinea pig  I have ever owned.  Any advice?  I have a dog  and cat a and small child.  The Guinea has a cage with a tight lid.  The dog thinks it is a new play friend.  I haven't introduced it to the cat yet becase I know what it will think!

1. lizmoss71 profile image61
      lizmoss71posted 13 years agoin reply to this

First of all, you should get your guinea pig a friend. Guinea pigs are sociable creatures and do not like living alone. If you have a girl, then that's easy, just get another girl. If you have a boy, it might be a bit trickier, but hopefully you will be able to find a friend of the same gender for him.

Both the dog and the cat should be kept away from the guinea pig, they will both be dangerous to it. When you get the guinea pig out to play, make sure the dog and cat are locked out of the room.

I have written a hub with a bit more advice, feel free to take a look.
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Guinea-Pig-Care-Guide

1. profile image49
        Winnigpposted 13 years agoin reply to this

with my guinea pig--i have had her for 2 months now. yes, i bought her alone, and she is content with it. i know they enjoy the company of other piggies, but as long as you pay attention to them often, there is no need for a second piggie.

2. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 13 years ago

About the only thing I can think of to add to lizmoss' advice is that guinea pigs react differently to viruses and such than humans do, and things like colds can be deadly to them. I don't know how old your kid is, but mine is in preschool and brings home a sniffle or worse about every week smile. Also, if your child is very young I'd suggest very, very close supervision for a while because guinea pigs are short-sighted and curious, so they often test things with their teeth, and many are easily frightened and they bite HARD when they're scared.

3. Megavitamin profile image69
    Megavitaminposted 13 years ago

This is just a random piece of advice, don't put newspaper in its cage.  I grew up with guinea pigs, and that was a mistake my sister made.  Guinea pigs love to chew on anything you put in front of them, and the news print is toxic to them.  Good luck with your new pet!

4. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Whats his / her name?

Get it a bigger cage - most people put their animals in insufferably small cages

5. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Unless you really, really, really know and trust your cat.....introducing the cat to the pig ain't a good idea.  The pig might see friend, the cat will probably see entre'

6. Ms Chievous profile image67
    Ms Chievousposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the info everyone.  The Guinea Pig is named Brownie and my son loves it.  I have heeded your warnings about letting my son hold it.  Brownie is way to skiddish for him to hold yet.    I did not know about the colds.  My son is a preschooler so I will have to watch.  I keep the cage up as  my cat is unaware of the new housemate.  My dog still thinks it is a playmate.  I plan on getting a bigger cage an perhaps another Guinea pig as i have read they prefer company.  I just love the sound Brownie makes when he is happy!

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

When my kids were in late high-school years, my elder daughter acquired a guinea pig, and shortly after, a second.  They both had very large wire-mesh cages, and each had their own cage...but placed immediately next to the other, so they could visit.
    The first was an Abbysinian...adorable with tufted rosettes in her fur.  The second was a Peruvian...long-haired.  They had to be kept apart unless supervised, as the Abby fancied herself a barber, and gave the other one 'haircuts.'  LOL
    We would let them out in a specially-prepared area, and since 'piggies' cannot be housebroken, we had an old scrap carpet remnant for the floor of their play area.  We blocked off access to places like under the bed...and would build them 'mazes' to run through, using plain wood 'kindergarten building block.'  They loved their playtime!
    We would sit on the floor with them, to supervise, and try to keep 'the barber' away from Cocoa's 'bangs.'  They would run figure-8's around our feet and legs as we sat.

From upstairs on the second floor, where they lived in daughter's room, they would hear the crinkle of the bag of lettuce being opened, and shout out loud "Wheeeeep!  Wheeeep!" sounds demanding their treat.  Carrots, lettuce, alfalfa cubes...all favorite treats.

We had them for about 6-½ years--fairly long lives for guinea pigs...but these two girls were loved and spoiled rotten! 
    They are marevelous little animals, and, given the chance, actually quite social, with very distinct personalites.  Enjoy your new pet!!

8. givingfairy profile image59
    givingfairyposted 13 years ago

Don't do like many people who only feed their guinea pig from a container. Build trust while taming by allowing your pet to eat from your hands now and then.

9. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

If it is a male guinea pig and you introduce another male guinea pig there is a good  chance they will fight. Mostly when male guinea pigs get along together it is because they are brothers who have never lived separately.

Also guinea pigs are short sighted so do n't trust there judgement about places they might fall from; this includes hanging on to them as you put them back into their hutch or cage because held loosely they sort of do a 'take off' leap as they get near to their home base.

Guinea pigs once settled love being cuddled and the range of sounds they make is fascinating.

10. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 13 years ago

A few years ago I had two guinea pigs in my classroom at the school where I teach. They would come home for the holidays with me. They were good friends with each other and also liked to be cuddled by humans. I made an enclosed play area for them which they loved to explore when they weren’t in their cage. They adored broccoli, and gave excited chirps whenever they saw me coming with broccoli in my hands. 

A companion guinea pig, broccoli and playtime outside their cage kept our guinea pigs happy.

11. lindajot profile image66
    lindajotposted 13 years ago

I loved my guinea pigs when I was younger.  I made a purse to carry them around in, and would brush those rosettes til they were perfect.  Handle them a lot so they get used to the interaction.  I would probably have another, but they poop so darn much!

12. caninecrtitics profile image60
    caninecrtiticsposted 13 years ago

I have 4 guinea pigs now and love them and they get along great with my rabbit.  Like the above info guinea pigs can catch the cold from us.  So it's very important to make sure you feed them vegetables rich in Vitamin C like carrots, oranges or even their are drops you can add to their water for Vitamin C.  Pine and aspen bedding worksbest because carefresh can be to dusty sometimes. So defintly not newspaper like the post above said.  Also their are vitamin c fortified foods thatare great to.

13. Maria Cecilia profile image83
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

I love the peruvian Guinea Pigs.. you need to comb their hairs too...but yes must be separated from dogs.

14. caninecrtitics profile image60
    caninecrtiticsposted 13 years ago

My shepard rotti mix loves my guinea pigs and will actually cuddle with them.  It's funny the do need to be introduced slowly and with supervision.  So not all dogs are mean toward guinea pigs

15. smile0826 profile image60
    smile0826posted 13 years ago

I have 6 guinea pigs.  We adopted two girls and one was pregnant with 4 babies.  You can find a lot of good information here:

http://www.cavyspirit.com/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)