What Do You to Find Inspiration and Creative Energy?

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (53 posts)
  1. jdeschene profile image60
    jdescheneposted 15 years ago

The subject line just about says it.  I've been at a bit of a loss lately.  Some of the things I usually use, such as free/automatic writing are beginning to bore me.  Any suggestions?

1. My Inner Jew profile image61
      My Inner Jewposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it finds me when it is ready...it usually hits me when i get to thinking about or dwelling on the moments in life that i am really passionate about

2. Sonrisa Soleada profile image60
      Sonrisa Soleadaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Someone suggested playing a game online. I'd suggest joining Gaiaonline.com or any rpg site. I get so many story ideas from the threads there.

3. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Meditation and contemplation.

4. anjalichugh profile image68
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, what works for me does not have to work for you. smile I close my eyes and relax till my mind gets emptied of all the crap stored in there. Music really helps in such moments. I feel totally energized by the time I open my eyes. smile

5. goldenpath profile image66
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exercise!!  I find that going to the fitness center or going for a jog often triggers new thought processes.

2. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

Whenever I can't write or think I do some pointless thing, like watch tv or play a game online. Sometimes I take a break from it for a week or two.

I also post on forums, like I am now because I get to write because someone else motivates the response XD makes it easy.

3. GK16 profile image61
    GK16posted 15 years ago

Hi, it can be difficult but one should not give up. Taking a small break will help. Do something else you enjoy. Relax. Then you will be able to get back on track. Goood Luck!

4. mohitmisra profile image60
    mohitmisraposted 15 years ago

Meditate and contemplate.

1. jonmark222 profile image58
      jonmark222posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's right.

5. Squimpleton profile image87
    Squimpletonposted 15 years ago

Well I get my inspiration from newspapers sometimes. Whether they make me happy or mad, many articles make me feel something, and that something can result in a new article/hub.

There's also TV and video games, they can provide with loads of inspiration - or another tactic is to stumble for ideas, or go to Wiki's random article link. These can help you figure out what to write about next.
    Let's see...what else..going to Helium's Rate can also get your opinions going since you're rating two articles about a topic. If you agree/disagree or simply go off in thought, there's a hub topic waiting to happen.

Also, I have 2 hubs with 26 topic ideas each if you're really blocked smile

6. Earl S. Wynn profile image79
    Earl S. Wynnposted 15 years ago

I usually get out of the house and go for a walk, or take a break and watch a movie, usually with pen and paper nearby in case I get an idea.

And then sometimes when it gets really bad, I just go somewhere totally different than usual and forget about writing altogether for a little while. Then, when I come back home and see my desk, I can usually sit down and go again.

Oh, and wikipedia or Stumbleupon. Just keep hitting the randomizer and see where it takes you. Helps sometimes.

7. Lidian profile image67
    Lidianposted 15 years ago

I plunge into learning about/ getting into a totally different topic, either new to me or something I haven't got into for awhile.

Going for a run can really help me too. Just getting away from the desk.

Or just allowing myself to write ANYTHING. SOmetimes I get bored because i am restricting/editing myself too much.

1. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is what I do too.  When I come accross a hub for instance that is completely outside my scope of knowledge and it is written clearly, I find myself wanting to find more info and I don't stop until I think I have enough. Then I compile it and share it.

Lately, I've been on a mission to find the best and most successful ways to promote my writing and my hubs. Everything from SEO to generating traffic and it's starting to pay off.  I'm working on my self promotion hub now and should have it ready by the end of the weekend.  I have a lot of good stuff to share.

8. mothermia profile image57
    mothermiaposted 15 years ago

i find a lot inspiration where i live..i just look out at nature and my surroundings and it can come easly..but i havent writing anything in a while..you could say im in a hole and digging out isnt so easy to do..so for now im chilling on the computer and watching t.v...i have over 10 childrens books waiting on the self for something to do...

9. Pete Michner profile image69
    Pete Michnerposted 15 years ago

I go to the library.

10. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Sometimes looking through old photographs can be a trigger. They don't have to be yours, in fact it's better if they're not. You can then make up an accompanying text.

11. profile image0
    geminitwinposted 15 years ago

I do quilting, sewing, gardening, music. Lots of things interest me and keep me busy.

12. profile image0
    dabblingmumposted 15 years ago

I've never been good at being inspired simply for the sake of being inspired. I usually need a task in mind. However, I was editing some photos I took recently and I was truly inspired to think about using them to create art. Now if only I could actually draw!

13. Nickny79 profile image67
    Nickny79posted 15 years ago

I look at a beautiful naked woman and smoke a cigar.

14. scheinandras profile image59
    scheinandrasposted 14 years ago

i go and see friends:)

15. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

you only need to look at the threads from the last few days to see what folks on here do...... eat chocolate mostly...

seriously, listen to music...

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ha ha..chocolate...wine and..err...showers...  smile

16. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I listen to the birds and squirrels tongue they gossip lots lol jus kidding, lol ...sorry hmm I usually get ideas from listening to the news, music, small talk, reading, eaves dropping on my sons, tongue wink lol

17. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Music and Movies always do it for me. But I'm a madman sometimes, really. I could sit and just listen to a song like say, Walking On A Dream By Empire Of The Sun and Boom, I'm in it, and not just me, but its like I immerse my characters in the song as well. Like my characters start living in the midst of this music score I created. Its crazy, I can't even explain it. I wrote a hub about it though. "The Taste: Books and Movies" you might wanna check it out.

18. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Dennisematt, you've been visiting our chocolate thread on the religion forum!

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ha ha ha. I like choclate too. not a big fan of jogging tho...

19. AsherKade profile image56
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I watch people, drives my spouse crazy. I don't stare at them like I'm nuts, but I make myself find something interesting about even the most ordinary people, in the most ordinary of places. For example, even in my hick town where everyone is pretty much the same race, you can still find at least ONE feature that pops out.I focus on it and make a little story in my mind about it. I may jot down those thoughts for later inspiration.If all else fails, make the ordinary SUPER ORDINARY. You would be amazed how that in turn makes something extraordinary!

20. Prince Moses profile image61
    Prince Mosesposted 14 years ago

From a bush that was on fire but did not burn.

21. profile image0
    liminalposted 14 years ago

I look deep into my past and I focus on moments that may not have been pleasant, but that affected me and still do down through the years. It's not always fun, but it works!

22. Drew Breezzy profile image63
    Drew Breezzyposted 14 years ago

feed off emotions

23. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

People watching. Especially at book stores. I was sitting in the medicine section studying for an anatomy test. It was right next to the psychotherapy section... I could write forever about people. I live in South Florida, where there is an amazing diversity of people.

24. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

It's kind of a goal orientation thing at times, for me. 

Other times, it's allowing myself to just drift, walk, sit by an ocean or a river (it's been proven people are more creative next to water) and just let thoughts flow...and experiment, whether in writing or drawing/painting.

Both are necessary modes, I think--and play off each other.

25. lxxy profile image59
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

I actually don't have much creative energy, so much as a bunch of random ideas constantly colliding and permutating.

At any given point, I'll grab one from the stream of conscious and mess with it until it's good and bruised.

Then it becomes something, like a Hub.

26. scheinandras profile image59
    scheinandrasposted 14 years ago

I often play on my bass to get to the mood to paint:)

27. my-success-guru profile image56
    my-success-guruposted 14 years ago

I get in touch with nature where I feel totally connected- totally peaceful smile Sometimes I get a lot of my inspiration from music but the biggest inspiration is from the woman I love smile

28. mirandalloyd profile image60
    mirandalloydposted 14 years ago

I'm writing a novel, so when I've got a scene or situation that I can't think of how to develop properly, I get out some tarot cards. Silly, I know. But I throw down a random card and use that as a jumpstart. Other times, I take what has been going on in my own life and have that happen to one of my characters. Subtly. Self-insertion never gets anyone very far.

29. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Meditation, hiking through the woods, running, time with my horses and listening to my friends.  If I'm really stuck (like I have been this past 3 weeks...) I usually take a short vacation and get back to nature (no internet or cell phone). Hmm...maybe I'll disappear for the next few weeks.... lol  smile  Good luck!

30. jDesigner profile image58
    jDesignerposted 14 years ago

I browse inspiration sites on daily basis.

31. profile image0
    Hack Retisposted 14 years ago

Generally I walk away from reality for awhile and wait to see what's changed when I've come back.

32. profile image56
    anapurmaposted 13 years ago

I wrote a couple of e-books (in Polish language). When I am writing the e-book I do not have the whole story ready in my mind. It comes slowly, chapter after chapter (sometimes I make some correct in my chapter's order).
    When I have found some idea and I can not to write it down at this moment I am always trying to tell it over and over in my mind. What I have got by doing that? When I am sitting down to write my story - it is currently smooth and clear. Obviously better than a story which came to mind and appear on paper instantly.

33. Ashukah profile image61
    Ashukahposted 13 years ago

I usually listen to music, look at DeviantArt, and maybe even do some physical activity such as swimming.

These all help me, anyway!

34. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Imaginative thought.

1. Ashukah profile image61
      Ashukahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Imagination is a must have too!

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Trust me, I have a vivid imagination. big_smile wink

35. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

I read a newspaper,especially the letters page.  I always set myself to find five new topics every day.  Sometimes it's only five, but often it's many more. This way I get lots of ideas that I would never have thought of.

36. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I have a five knuckle shuffle and just chill out away from writing and then come back refreshed, although with a stiff wrist!

1. goldenpath profile image66
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, so you roll up newspapers for the paper route.  That's a very intriguing idea......... yeah.....  smile  smile  smile

2. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope you anti-bac your keyboard regularly, you  mucky pup!

1. waynet profile image70
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hahaha lol!

37. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

I keep a scrap book of stuff I find in newspapers.  Some examples are - a knitting pattern for a Hitler doll.
          An obituary for a dentist who had an automatic locking front 
          door, so his patients couldn't change their mind.
          An 80 year old woman who applied for a pole dancers job and         claimed she was being unfairly discounted because of her age.
         With stuff like this in the real world, it's hard to get writers block!

38. love2scrap profile image58
    love2scrapposted 13 years ago

I just take a break and stop putting so much pressure on myself. Taking a walk or looking through beautiful photos is usually enough to get me started again.

39. heart4theword profile image59
    heart4thewordposted 13 years ago

Sometimes, it seems I don't find time...I have to make time.  So glad when I do, because I have more energy, and want to do more:)  When I think about it, there are times, where something or someone has inspired me, to create a new design or item.  Then I just want to get it done, to see the end result:)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)