What Would You Consider to be a 'Beautiful Movie'?

Jump to Last Post 51-75 of 75 discussions (101 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sarahsherlockposted 13 years ago

Lost in Translation. At first it seems like a pointless movie but you will take more from it each time you watch it.

2. Andy Webb profile image67
    Andy Webbposted 13 years ago

Malena – between the flow of the story, the passionate recreation of the era and brilliant camera work it is a beautiful movie.

3. profile image53
    Heatherr")posted 13 years ago

The Green Mile .. It Has Everything, Drama Humor Sadness Etc And It Really Is A Beautiful Movie smile

4. Thunder Vixen profile image64
    Thunder Vixenposted 13 years ago

I Am Sam...It was the only movie to make me literally cry, I balled multiple times. It was so emotional and in depth and truthful.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I watched it yesterday and literally sobbed during parts of it.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it is beautiful, I agree.
      most of the films I think of are deeply emotional.

I especially loved watching The Piano, The Red Violin, The Thin Red Line..

5. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I bought a DVD of the film Gone With the Wind at amazon and I love it! second  -- The Way We Were

6. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Gran Torino

7. jdflom profile image67
    jdflomposted 13 years ago

Magnolia by Paul Thomas Anderson -- or any PTA film for that matter.

8. PFranz profile image59
    PFranzposted 13 years ago

In The Mood For Love - a Chinese film set in Hong Kong in the 1960s. Gorgeous.

1. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh!  I just saw that last week - it is really mesmerizing and the images are just beautiful!  the dresses she wears - all those rainy street scenes -everything - beautiful!

but then, there was Dr. Zhivago  and Bertolinni's Romeo & Juliet, any film by Akiro Kurasawa!  and of course Felini's films are all beautiful.

Cinema Paradisio - also lovely

9. ReggieD06 profile image61
    ReggieD06posted 13 years ago

"My Dog Skip"

10. Devanni profile image59
    Devanniposted 13 years ago

The most recent film I've seen I'd put into the vategory of 'Beautiful Movie' would be 'Crazy Heart'.  It's beautiful visually, musically, and of course, the story.

11. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I've always liked the old movies to describe beautiful. The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Gigi, My Fair Lady, Oklahoma, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, you get it.

12. susanlang profile image60
    susanlangposted 13 years ago

The Note Book
    A Christmas Carol

13. LizzyBoo profile image60
    LizzyBooposted 13 years ago

Precious :is the most beautiful movie I have seen. I mean beautiful in a way How it was recorded and made. There were many unforgetable moments which made this movie special

14. profile image0
    lover of arts!!!!posted 13 years ago

Jules and Jim, Last Year at Marienbad, and Orphans of the Storm.

15. profile image53
    NathanJWposted 13 years ago

There are a great many movies out there that are visually beautiful.  The ones that come to mind right away are "Amelie", "The Painted Veil", and "Last of the Mohicans"

16. CrimsonBelle profile image61
    CrimsonBelleposted 13 years ago

To me, a beautiful movie is one that has an awesome cast, a director that is willing to think outside the box, and a good story. And the right music score. To me the music can make or break a movie. My beautiful movies would be : Last of the Mohicans, A Beautiful Mind, V for Vendetta, Star Wars Saga, Lord of the Rings, and one of my personal favs would be Sense and Sensability with Emma Thompson.

17. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

Besides Avatar, (no other film looks anything like it) and The Incredibles (again, the tropical island scenery is astounding for an animated film), I would incude Amelie (French film) and Curse of the golden Flower, or any film by that Director. They are all beautiful. And there are plenty more besides...

18. profile image0
    Destrierposted 13 years ago

Awakenings- De Niro and Williams
    The Notebook
    March of the Penguins

19. ecoggins profile image90
    ecogginsposted 13 years ago

The Man from Snowy River. The mountaintop footage was absolutely breathtaking.

20. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

I thought Brokeback Mountain could be considered beautiful. It was a great story, and some of the wilderness scenes were very nice. I am not wild about country living, as I spent my teen years in a very small town. but, I think if I were to grow up in that setting, I think I may have enjoyed it a lot more.

The Sound Of Music is another beautiful movie. It is just full of life and romance, in a beautiful setting. Too bad it had to be set around Natzi Germany. That pretty much ruined the rest of the movie for me. But I really liked it.

I think I would also have to throw in Avatar for it's stunning visual effects. It is also a great story. They put so much into this movie, that I think it is one of the most creative movies ever made. Imagine having to do all of that imaging without todays technology. I don't think it could be done. And, if it did, it would cost so much money, it would barely make a profit.

The Wizard of Oz would be another one. The world that you are taken into in the wizard of oz is one that can only come from a dream. And, from being made in the 1930's it was quite an impressive task. Just all the handmade backdrops, and the huge sets must have cost the studios a fortune. Not to mention gathering all the extras together for the crowd scenes in Munchkinland, and the Emerald City.

There is talk that they will remake the Wizard Of Oz once again.
    I hope that they don't screw it up. I have seen plenty of spin off OZ movies, and none of them capture the beauty or the magic of the original. But, we'll have to wait and see.

21. dasamerman profile image64
    dasamermanposted 13 years ago

Seems pretty obvious, but American Beauty.

22. lianhughes profile image60
    lianhughesposted 13 years ago

Pan's Labrynth seems to me to be beautiful, it has a good mix of visual effects and a strong storyline that captures the attention. Also i found House of flying daggers like that too, the drum scene and the bamboo fight scene especially.

23. christiansister profile image61
    christiansisterposted 13 years ago

"The Notebook" is a beautiful movie

Also "My Sister's Keeper"

24. profile image0
    prayersposted 13 years ago

A Walk In The Clouds 1995 Keanu Reeves, Aitana Sánchez-Gijón and Anthony Quinn

25. NateSean profile image66
    NateSeanposted 13 years ago

For me the concept of a "Beautiful Movie" is this.

It is a movie that leaves you profoundly changed when you are finished watching it. It tells a story without shoving morals down your throat. It doesn't bias you at anytime and insteads asks you to think for yourself.

A movie that comes strongly to mind when I think of this definition is Last Kiss with Zach Braff and Casey Affleck.

All in all, it's a movie about long term relationships. About the fragility of couples and how even when you've been together for thirty years, you still don't have it all figured out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)