Sin

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (47 posts)
  1. profile image52
    haj3396posted 13 years ago

How did sin enter the earth, and what can we do about it?

1. profile image0
      Over The Hillposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sin was brought to his world by Lucifer and all we can do is to avoid it in all it`s pleasures.

2. pisean282311 profile image64
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

sin is subjective term..there is no such things as universal sin..context is important...what is sin or what is not sin is debatable..it would keep existing becoz it is perception based...

3. getitrite profile image70
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is an easy one.  Sin entered the world through God.  Since God created everything and sin is a thing, it's simple logic.

Syllogistically:       God created everything.
                                Sin is part of everything.
                                therefore, God created sin.

Also by giving man free-will, he actually Forced man to sin, because many things that he inclined man to do are sins. It's like He played a sadistic game of "Gotcha"

What an evil God.

4. Arjumand01 profile image60
      Arjumand01posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sin may be defined as any act of immorality or disobedience to the creator of all.The creator has created every creation and all are bound by His law.Sin is disobedience to that law and it has inherent nature of remorse in it.Only those who have a choice in obedience to Allah can commit sin, in other words those who are created both with intellect and have desires can commit sin.For example men, jinns(creatures made of fire satan being amongst them).Those who are devoid of desires and have only reason/intellect cannot commit a sin  eg angels.All those who are subject to sinning have desires which lead them to sin,their reason and rational prevent them from doing so if they firmly choose to heed their intellect.When a man thinks relying completely on his rational or reason which is inborn  without being biased by society he comes to know that there is no deity of worship other than one true creator of all-Allah, when he decides to act completely on his rational without foriegn influences he reduces his disobedience to Allah,the creator

1. Paraglider profile image90
        Paragliderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree entirely that that is where reason leads. Reason is opposed to superstition. Reason tells me, for example, that there are no creatures made of fire. And it certainly does not lead me to the conviction that there is a Creator.

1. aguasilver profile image69
          aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you don't believe in sin, then by default you accept that you have never done any wrong against anybody else, for sin is 'missing the mark' (in archery terminology) and that's what we do when we sin, we miss the mark we aimed at hitting.

Guilt comes from Satan, God brings conviction, so believers get convicted of their sin, and unbelievers get to feel guilty.

How you view sin determines who is your master and is judging you. Satan enjoys bringing guilt, it makes the recipient either self justify their sin, to feel better about it, or declare that there is no sin, to harden their heart to correction by conviction by God.

Sin is like pain, it tells us when something is wrong.

Without feeling sin, it's like feeling no pain, you hurt yourself and others in the process of blundering through life.

That's an astonishing post. It starts off wrong, then turns nonsensical. I don't need the concept of sin but I acknowledge having hurt other people. No contradiction.

Guilt does not come from Satan since Satan does not exist. Please don't bother trotting out the old formula: 'Satan's greatest triumph is persuading people he doesn't exist'. I've heard it before.

And I don't have a master.

denial.

arrogance.

Please tell me by what authority you insist the everyone has to have a master?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
                  Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This one has degenerated into meaningless gibberish and delusions of grandeur. I can only assume things are not going well - that seems to be the way. The worse things get - the more righteous damnation gets handed out. wink

Did you check with your master for permission to post this? wink

2. aguasilver profile image69

Well Bob Dylan for a start, he saw it and wrote it and sang about it, but apart from that, you and me make that a rule, because IF I were the one with ALL authority, I'd make EVERYONE come to faith, whereas if you were the one with ALL authority, you'd make everyone think the way YOU feel is correct.

So obviously neither of us are the ones with ALL authority, and even Mark may agree that it's not him either.... so if WE cannot control even our own point of conception or beat death, whether we win the jackpot or live in abject misery, even who gets to post on the forum.... well then there are authorities over us, whether we want them or not.

I simply recognise through experience that what we view as reality is actually just a farce we experience called life, one whereupon folk struggle to try and gain CONTROL over themselves and others, mostly failing in that, and seldom realising that the REAL existence is in the spiritual world, and all this is just a test to see how we do encumbered by a body and each others interaction.

So on that foundation I sought to establish WHO controls this sideshow, and guess what, I found out it was God, not Satan, who had been my 'master' by default, and who I rejected and then Christ cancelled Satans authority over me, when I surrendered my rebellion against Christ, and chose Him as my Master.

...and answering a later post, YES Christ does permit us to post these clarifications for those who need them....

2 Timothy 4 1:3

I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Sorry, but your argument appears to be "I am not the master; you are not the master. Therefore there must be another master". That is no more sensible than "I am not the tooth fairy; you are not the tooth fairy. Therefore the tooth fairy must be somebody else".

As a general rule - where proof is impossible, it is unwise to insist on being right.

2. Beelzedad profile image58
            Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aren't those two completely different concepts? Isn't sin a wrong committed against a god?

I can't speak for anyone else, but my own set of derived morals would not allow me to do anything wrong against anybody else, intentionally. Maybe accidentally, but that doesn't really count, does it? Therefore, I would have no guilt.  smile

self justification.... and denial!

1. the pink umbrella profile image75
                the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your just saying that to piss him off. Why dont you just call him a poopie head and get it over with.

Yep, that would work wink

2. aguasilver profile image69

Nah.... to simple! smile

5. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

1 John 3:4
      Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

2. kess profile image60
    kessposted 13 years ago

Sin is made by the sinner, To the righteous man sin does not nor can ever exist.

The earth is because of Light not Darkness.....

Sin has made it's appearance because of darkness....where light is the darkness must recede.

1. profile image0
      Over The Hillposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kess,you`re in for some rough days

2. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah...and when it rains there is litle dust.

3. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Also by giving man free-will, he actually Forced man to sin, because many things that he inclined man to do are sins. It's like He played a sadistic game of "Gotcha"
    ==========

Jerami says  ...  do you see a contradiction of words in your statement?

Free will was forced upon mankind so it is all Gods fault ???

1. getitrite profile image70

I fail to see any contradiction.  And just when are you gonna start holding your God responsible for the egregious bumbling mistakes he has made.

If you could expand your mind, just a little, you would see that your omniscient, omnipotent God should be responsible for everything, not man.

You want to give your God all the credit for creating the universe and for being all loving, but you never seem to understand--with great power, comes great responsibility.

If God wants to pass the results of his incompetence on to us, then He is a feeble and unscrupulous leader.

If He wants to be God, He is gonna hafta stand up and be a leader.

You can't become a sergeant just by sewing stripes onto your sleeves.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You say that God has made mistakes in his game plan when you can not preceive what kind of game that he is playing.

If you want to call what he is doing a Game.

4. Paraglider profile image90
    Paragliderposted 13 years ago

Sin is a construct of religion, requiring an offendable God, another such construct. Forget about God and religion, and then sin disappears, as does the guilt that oppresses so many. Thus freed from superstition, we can focus on what really matters - taking care of ourselves, our families, our friends, our neighbours, our World. Working for the benefit of society. And having fun along the way.

Can you fault it??

Except for the "Forget about God" part, I agree completely with your logic.

When religion stands between us and God .. this is not good.

When religion stands as our interpreter  between us and God we have little if any relationship with God.

I think that Jesus died on the cross that we have a short cut to God.

For some reason many people choose to remain in the maze that only exists in their minds.

Even if that were true (which I very much doubt) what EARTHLY difference does it make? I see nothing in Jesus's supposed teachings that goes against my formula for living in the here and now. So take it or leave it, but get on with the only life we know we have.

I do agree with your concept as long as we remember what it was like raising our children. They required knowing that there were boundaries that they had to stay within, if they wanted to be happy living in "OUR" world.

We have to have a center of focus in order to walk the balance beam.  We can't just shut our eyes and go forward.

Jerami - that is what Ethics is all about, and it does not need to be tied into religion. The Ancient Greeks had no problem separating the two, but the Judeo/Christian and Islamic traditions have always been confused in this matter.

I don't see the word SIN as having any mystical meaning.
              It would seem to me that anything that is BAD for us individually or as a group is sin. 

In that respect ...Sin doesn't have a religious connotation.

That's a refreshing view. Unfortunately there are many who insist that sin requires redemption to avoid damnation, which is why I prefer to do without the word altogether, in favour of the less emotionally charged 'wrongdoing'

2. Aya Katz profile image84
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so. I think consciousness of having sinned predates organized religion. It is the feeling that we have done something terribly, terribly wrong. All moral people are capable of feeling guilt. And yes, morality predates religion, too. It is just a set of rules that we internalize to help us survive in our relations with our peers. But if the consciousness of wrongdoing were not a visceral, automatic emotion, then it would be very hard to enforce any morality. True morality comes from within.

I agree that consciousness of wrongdoing probably predates religion as we know it. But I think wrongdoing is defined by by human society, as behaviour that harms the group. After all, people have always lived in groups, especially children, who need society if they are to survive into adulthood.

1. Aya Katz profile image84

Anything that helps the individual ultimately benefits the group, as groups are always composed of individuals, although not all individuals are members of groups. To the extent that individuals are benefited by group membership, traits that help both individuals and groups are selected for by nature. To the extent that group membership is harmful to the individual, such traits are not selected for. That's why a sense of wrongdoing when stealing is rather common across human societies and is found even among relatively isolated individuals. But... people naturally rebel against being enslaved, because slavery may benefit the group, allowing it to build beautiful pyramids, but it is harmful to the individual.

I think we're agreeing that morality serves society, albeit with our usual philosophical difference over the relative importance of individual and group in the balance.
            I'm sure we're agreeing that morality and/or ethics does not require religion or God.

1. Aya Katz profile image84

Yes.

2. the pink umbrella profile image75
            the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aya, your first sentance is totally incorrect. If I am living in a population of ten, and i have eaten all of my food, and i steal from others in the group, yes, it benefits me, but not the group as a whole.

1. getitrite profile image70

Correct!

5. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Paraglider  said  ....
       Unfortunately there are many who insist that sin requires redemption to avoid damnation,
    ===========================================================

When we do things that are detrimental for our health physically or mentaly it does hold us back somewhat from ataining our intended purposes.
       I see repentence as becoming aware of how we are holding ourselves back and not doing that again.

It sometimes takes the passing of time before our past stops catching up with us. Before we stop paying for those "sins".

Once we get past that point we are then saved from ourselves.

Forget about it, put it behind us and move on.

I do believe in an after life that we do not want to take any of that trash with us.

So in a way I am agreeing with much of what "Religion" is saying.  I think it just needs to be looked at from a different prospective.

6. Paraglider profile image90
    Paragliderposted 13 years ago

@Jerami - I think we're pretty close on how to conduct this life. Our only difference is in the unresolvable issue of whether or not there's another life to come.

Back to home for a little bit.

As far as the unresolved idea of a life after death?

For me there is not an issue. I just revert back to when I was a child. Long before I was taught that there was a death of the life force within???   I already knew that there wasn't.

I believe that the human imagination has a power of its own.
      We can do nothing that our own mind tells us that we can not do.
      Anything is possible that our mind says that we can do.

Until we start putting conditions upon it.

Until outside power of suggestion is inflicted upon our pitiful little concious minds.

I believe that whatever our mind believes at that moment of physical death has a bearing upon what we have created for ourselves after we pass over into a different realm.

If you create nothingness in your mind? that is what you are goina get. 
         Now this is where flawed thinking comes in.  Ya caint just want it! Ya caint get just anything that ya say that ya want! 
        Ya gotta really believe it.  And what ever your subconscious mind " Really Believes" is what you have created for yourself.
      That is the way it is in this life!! 
         Why should that change upon death of the physical body?

We are all much more than this physical body!
         Unfortunately the power of suggestion has convinced the masses that this is not so.

Trouble is, there is evidence suggesting that mind/consciousness is dependent on an organic (and mortal) brain. I've not seen a lot of evidence to support independence of these two.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)