Too many Nattering nabobs of Negativism

Jump to Last Post 1-47 of 47 discussions (296 posts)
  1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I never thought I'd quote Spiro T. Agnew but it was written by William Safire. He used it to refer to the press. I think the political section of forum is being taken over by the "nattering nabobs." There is nothing wrong with criticizing but when you constantly do it and have nothing to add on how to improve things what is the point? Surely there must be something positive in your life?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why didn't you tell that to the liberals and atheists who swooped in on anyone who said conservative things all this time?  Ever since I've been on here to attest to that fact anyway.

Oh...that's right....you're one OF those liberals....
      And like the government can't investigate itself, neither would I expect you to hold yourself responsible for anything;  nope, not anything at all.   You are very very negative;  I even see paranoia in that post of yours.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol It's too funny! lol lol lol

You hit it right on the head. lol

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did I say it was only conservatives who do this? I didn't, there is much negativity on every side.

Believe me, I am not paranoid. Give me an example of paranoia? I am not a negative person. You are good at seeing things in people you disagree with that are not there.

3. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And I think you could use a dose of your own medicine, Brenda. What insights and solutions are you offering that are inclusive of all people in all religions or political ideologies that I'm not aware of?

And I am in complete agreement with UW. There is derision and contempt on all sides, and few offer any worthwhile, inclusive solutions that show equality for all.

I'm working on my own self and how I look at things as a way to try to begin to solve a few little problems. Perhaps some will make fun of that, but I think a change of heart and insight is where all problems begin their solution.

4. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh dear Brenda, it looks like your imagining things again, have you taken your medication today?

2. ilmdamaily profile image68
      ilmdamailyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen.

I'm as guilty of anyone else of that.

My suggestion as to how to improve things?

Tear the whole freaking thing apart. Everything. The defects of our present system of living are so extensive as to be way beyond merely incidental, and are in fact systemic. There is way more wrong than there is right, and for that reason, it all must burn.

And all of my contributions on the (political & social) forum are made in that anarchist spirit:-)

3. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Today's Republicans/Tea Partiers don't really have a plan about how they'd govern if they were to be elected. They're against everything, but for nothing (unless it's to start a new war that I'm unaware of).

They're basically arguing for their status as an opposition party.

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, it is more than that,. There is genuine and understandable disenchantment with government.  Unfortunately, too many of the disenchanted aren't very bright and their antics sometimes tends to drown out the intelligence that can be a part of this.

If we could strip away the racism and fear of homosexuality, the mindless flag waving, the fervent religious blabbering, there are issues we could at least have rational discussions about.   That we will be distracted by the unintelligent is unavoidable, that we will disagree on basic principals is expected, but there are things worth talking about rather than talking past.

It isn't easy.  I get pulled off track by the nut cases as easily as any of us and it is all too easy to be misunderstood when you can't inflect,  soften, wave your hands and wink and grimace as you can when face to face.  It's too easy to get angry and dismiss the other person as a hopeless fool.  We have all done  it and we will continue to do it.

That shouldn't stop us from trying to see the other guys point of view.  I appreciate the arguments against big government and can even partially agree.  I have strong reasons for believing that big has benefits also, but am willing to listen to why someone disagrees.   I am not in favor of unbridled capitalism, but we can certainly talk about where the limits should be.  I believe that the rich should be taxed more, but we can certainly talk about fairness and alternative revenue streams.

We are going to disagree.  None of us are smart enough to be doing anything more than guessing about most of this stuff.  Rather than insulting each other constantly, why don't we look for opportunities to hear each other?

1. livelonger profile image86

I agree with all of you, and I do think there are sensible conservatives out there (although relatively few nowadays, and very, very few in the HubPages political forums). I will call out ledefensetech as a conservative who had pretty solid reasoning behind his positions. I rarely agreed with him, but at least he was coherent.

But a lot of the cranky, incoherent ranting that passes for conservative thinking this days starts with the current leadership, which is more concerned with tearing down the Obama administration by throwing everything possible at him than with putting out actual, actionable proposals of their own. It really is more than a turnoff to hear a bunch of bitching, moaning and insults, but complete silence when asked for an actual, concrete counterproposal.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think some of the most intelligent political discussions I've heard or read are with those from the millennial generation, the 20 somethings. many of them are smart, college educated, optimistic and for the most part unbiased. they keep up with what's going on and they have something to say. they could be our next 'great generation.'  and with what I see, they'll make sure they are!

And the great things too about that generation is that they are conservative. Yes!

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
                Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How do you know they are all conservative?

Magical thinking. lol

Ah yes, another insult further cementing how the left responds to things they don't like. Thank you for your examples and for showing us the hypocrisy once again. big_smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image85

certainly not all of them!  I am around them often and many don't affiliate themselves exclusively with any party. they are pragmatic, they don't insult each other during discussions.
                http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/ … ation.html

http://www.americanprogressaction.org/i … hange.html

1. bsscorpio8 profile image61
                  bsscorpio8posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not yet.

2. Flightkeeper profile image67

No not all of them but as a group, they are conservative.  And of course they don't insult each other during a discussion because as I said before, they're conservative.

lol

who can possibly have a discussion here with you? hmm
                    that's exactly what I'm talking about, and yet you are a conservative.

3. Jim Hunter profile image60
                Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have talked to some young adults recently and they don't say they are conservative they just say they can't wait to vote against Obama.

"Small scale anecdotal evidence" that it is, I kind of like the way they think.

I agree, they probably won't align themselves with a party because the two we have are on the whole just godawful.  I referred to them as conservative because the generational studies show that this group values stability. Not a lot of risk-taking in this group according to the studies by one of th Big 4 accounting firms.

2. bsscorpio8 profile image61

What is the counter-proposal in politics? The people who have the radical,yet rational ideas are dealt with swiftly,either that or the become pariahs.Look at what is happening to Michael Steele right now,he is speaking truths that do no vibe with his party lines,they are saying maybe he should just be a politician and not speak the truth.Does that make any sense to you? With all that we are bombarded with in the news media,it is not hard to,"keep up with what is going on." We all know that it is time for change,but at whose cost?

The way is being paved for those up and coming 20 somethings,hopefully(hope?)we of the older generation do not leave them with too much of a mess to clean up with all of the nonsense that is going on today.

2. Jim Hunter profile image60

I know I haven't been here long but other than one semi insult at the beginning of this thread the insults have been from liberals.

I am very impressed by some of the names they choose to call others, I am especially fond of the "teatard" comment left on another thread.

As for an actual concrete counterproposal what is the proposal to counter?

4. katiem2 profile image60
      katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ignore trouble!  smile

2. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

UW, I love the it! "Nattering Naboobs that is certainly a classic and have to say you made me laugh! lolololo big_smile

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't agree more UW big_smile

3. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

I agree with you UW smile I prefer trying to resolve a problem rather than crying about it. As that quote from somewhere goes - 'One can go out standing or on their knees' tongue  wink nattering naboobs, lol lol

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

mirrors... mirrors... mirrors everywhere... wink

5. Jim Hunter profile image60
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

I guess I don't really understand the problem people have with others being critical of the POTUS or Congress. Are we supposed to sit quietly and not have opinions, be good little sheep?

It is our right and our duty to question what our leaders do, it is important that we don't just follow in lock step with politicians, any politician.

I read a few posts back that the Republicans are arguing for opposition, they are the opposing party, what should they be doing?

It is not the job of the opposing party to see that the agenda is accomplished, where did that idea come from? My representative is representing me, that is why I voted for him, I wanted him to oppose the opposition, what do the rest of you expect?

6. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 13 years ago

Ironic isn't it UW, that even this thread wasn't spared the 'negativity' ? All I know is that these forums, esp. the political/religious ones represent a 'mini' world where you will always have opposing views on anything and everything. Except here, everyone is free to join in...which in itself would be a good thing if the civilities that guide our manners in real life weren't so easily dispensed with online... smile

1. profile image0
      Non-offensiveUserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I completely disagree with that!  I'm not sure why yet, but I'm sure I can come up with something though.

1. profile image0

And I completely disagree with you! I will wait to see what you come up with for disagreeing with MOW before explaining in further detail big_smile

1. myownworld profile image73
          myownworldposted 13 years agoin reply to this

....and so the story goes.....on ...and on.... and.....on.... wink

2. profile image0

Well I disagree with the fact that you disagree with my point of view in the first place. 
          This has nothing to do with MOW at this point, because I haven't figured out what to disagree with her on yet.

Would you like to buy a small argument?

1. profile image0

I would love to, but I really don't think that we would be able to agree on a price though...

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

an image of nattering nabobs.  cavedwellers.

http://zanesafrit.typepad.com/.a/6a00e55197a0e188330120a53e22e8970b-320wi

1. Lisa HW profile image60
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know....   They're kind of cute, aren't they?   hmm    They need to start showing up in every thread, maybe....

that was the image I found when I looked up nattering nabobs. I had never heard the phrase, thought it was from Dr. Suess ..  they are rather cute in a cave dwelly type of way.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80

republicans national anthem. lol

9. Dame Scribe profile image57

lol great video, lol

10. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

And the illusion of civility is quickly dispelled!!! How appropriate big_smile

1. Jim Hunter profile image60

Its the pot/kettle philosophy.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Brenda destroyed any civility in this thread.

And by all means you should react in the same way! Its the adult thing to do, isn't it?

When someone insults me I tend to bite back. And my reply was hardly an attack.

And the point was not to start so many negative threads without offering a solution. Obviously it went over the heads of many.

Come on people, let's not be a nattering nabob and have any negativity. lol

1. profile image0

roll

Maybe you shouldn't, maybe you should ignore that person and move on.

I intend to follow my own advice and do that from now on.

3. Misha profile image62
            Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am trying to see where exactly were you offering a solution, in this negative thread you just started Susan? Did it go over my head?

4. Jim Hunter profile image60

I'm sorry, did you offer a solution to something?

1. profile image0

Misha just said that, we don't need a resident parrot...

My apologies, I was unaware that had been said, should I remove it or leave it up?

I await your opinion, no, wait, I don't care.

1. profile image0

Great use of punctuation there Jim. Or should that be...

Great, use, of, punctuation, there, Jim.

Thanks! You are a shining example of positivity, I want to be just like you.

lol

But of course.

It's all mirrors and smoke.  I think Brenda just exposed the hypocrisy.  lol

11. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

mad

1. myownworld profile image73
      myownworldposted 13 years agoin reply to this

exactly! same here...

12. Flightkeeper profile image67

People we must have civility!

CIVILITY! (Raises arms up to the sky!)

13. Flightkeeper profile image67

lol lol lol

14. Dame Scribe profile image57

Criticizing and condemning others for their personal views isn't what UW was discussing. hmm One must be able to sit back and anaylize objectively without taking a conversation into a personal context tongue hence the question, why complain and vent in anger and give no solutions. hmm Isn't it more constructive to offer ideas for a solution? can you imagine the ideas many of us could come up with between us? smile

It is more constructive to offer solutions, I totally agree, solutions were offered by republicans and completely ignored.

We had 8 years of republican solutions.  But they solved nothing and only made things much worse.  Otherwise they would still be in power, NO?

You are absolutely right, they squandered the chance to regain power for many years to come.

But I am not talking about Bush I am talking about solutions offered by current members of congress. Constantly saying the republicans are the party of no (which makes a great political statement) does not make it so. Of course Obama doesn't have to be bipartisan he can continue to thumb his nose at the American people all he wants, but he shouldn't be surprised when he is traded in for a more compatible model.

Why do you suppose those who chose Bush would do any better this time around.  They obviously haven't gotten any brighter, if their posts on these forums are any indication!

I just have to ask, does anyone on this site who claims to be a liberal or democrat ever have anything nice to say about others?

If all you have is the typical personal attack why bother having a conversation?

1. profile image0
                china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because all the neonazicons on here do is make personal attacks - you gotta at least try to speak in words they can understand in they way they seem to appreciate.  does that help?

I have been on here all day and the only insults or attacks have been from the left.

Yours included.

1. Ohma profile image60
                    Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Both sides do a fair enough job of dishing it out when it comes to politics and religion.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

So my reference to the terrible choices made by the right in putting a man in office responsible for many thousands of needless deaths, not once, but twice is a personal attack? 

Are all truths personal attacks because you do not like them?  Tell me why I should think otherwise about those who want to go back to the same war mongering representatives?  Your articulate Palin, for example. 

Have you ever tried to read her answers to question?  She has a problem talking in complete sentences.  Some writers notice these things.  Others apparently do not see the significance of this at all!  Nor the confusion evident in her attempts to answer easy questions.

"Why do you suppose those who chose Bush would do any better this time around.  They obviously haven't gotten any brighter"

This was meant as a compliment?

I tend to stay away from those who do not wish to converse in a civil manner, have a good evening.

My having an opinion regarding those responsible for one of, if not, the worst presidencies in American history is not an insult unless it is unfounded!  Only a truth!

And please do stay away from me if you think Palin is any way qualified for high office.  I understand now how she was chosen to run with McCain!  She appeals to a certain mindset!

Waiting for your first hub!  Tomorrow perhaps?

15. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Can I say something?

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10172/tuzki-bunny-bash_head_against_wall.gif

...That's better. lol :backs away from thread:

lol

That's good. It's what a lot of Americans are doing now whenever Obama's on TV. lol

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or, in my house (in Britain), whenever ANY politician or political pundit comes on TV.

IMO anyone who reaches high political office nowadays is either corrupt or corruptible in some way.  Or conveniently stupid.  And that applies to both "sides" of the political divide.

Oh boy, your heads must hurt all the time in Britain wink

1. profile image0
            EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, wondered where the permanent headache was coming from... thought it was a brain tumour.  Glad to have cleared that one up lol

16. Uninvited Writer profile image80

It was not a negative thread, I was just pleading for a few less negative threads. You have to admit some days it's ridiculous.

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL Whatever was your intention, you just added to the plethora of negative threads, cause blaming never comes out positive smile

17. Dame Scribe profile image57

Atmosphere of a forum can get ugly, I agree UW. sad yes, the offer was to create solutons rather than complain tongue and no names to blame was inferred. hmm

18. Dame Scribe profile image57

RK smile Jim , o do behave you two. Flightkeeper, sad please be good to your fellow HP members. Nobody is here to disrespect or pick on eachother nor should be allowed to occur. Group hug now smile

http://www.canvas103.co.uk/images/who_me.jpg

2. profile image0

I'm not sure that I want to be coupled with a troll in your perception of the situation. As for flightkeeper, I have never encountered her before....

I am not sure what constitutes a troll but I assure you that I am not one. You seem to be irritated by a redundancy in forum posts, and I for the life of me can't understand why? If my punctuation bothers you so much then you may have to reevaluate your time spent out of school, as far as I know I am not receiving a grade for anything I write here.

1. profile image0

If you were to fully learn what it is that constitutes a troll then you would be fully assured that you are one.

Ok then, thanks for the info.

Jim, I hope you were fully assured.

lol

I feel confident that I have received the best education that Ryan can give. I thank him for his concern and bid him a fond adieu!

The thing is a lot of people are very sensitive about people creating sockpuppet accounts, usually shown by the fact they have no hubs and have posted on the forums a lot. Of course, that is not always the case. I believe now that you aren't a sockpuppet Jim, but you better not prove to be one after all smile

You have to explain sock puppet. I have no clue what that is.

2. profile image0

Yes Jim, if you prove to be a valuable member of this community and share some hubs then I will take back my comment about you being a troll.

Unfortunately, anonymous accounts of less than one week in age, with no followers, turn out to be 'trolls' 95% of the time. I am happy to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Regards.

19. Dame Scribe profile image57

Hugs smile no gettin fresh now big_smile lol

1. profile image0

Ok fair enough, no more fighting talk from me towards Him Cunter and Fightleper.

I'm off to bed zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1. Dame Scribe profile image57
        Dame Scribeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

O, RK hmm tongue good nite smile sleep well

Let that anger go it isn't good for you.

3. Flightkeeper profile image67

lol lol Dame Scribe, I had nothing to do with his bad humor. I wasn't even the one to talk to him first. 

Nighty-night! Think positive, civilized and well punctuated thoughts! lol

1. profile image0

No you were talking about me, just as I was talking about you smile

But don't worry, I fully understand. I know that jealousy is sometimes a hard thing for people to deal with, I am sure that you will climb up that SheToldMe referral board in no time smile

What are you talking about? I was laughing at what Jim said at your expense. And what would I be jealous about? Anyway whatever. And I thought you were asleep.

1. profile image0

I was making reference to your SheToldMe.com referral link. I was hoping that you would be one of my many referrals, however that would appear not to be the case. I happen to top that referral board, and Uninvited Writer is second. Not that it makes me any money.

Dude, I haven't been on Shetoldme in eons. But if being on top of shetoldme floats your boat...good for you.

1. profile image0

No it doesn't, I only care about money, it doesn't make me any money.

20. Flightkeeper profile image67

He's gone to sleep! Awww.

http://www.bulldog-breed.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/english-bulldog.jpg

21. Jim Hunter profile image60

There seems to be a lot of people concerned about my presence on this site. I am writing a hub that is very lengthy and am blowing off steam in the forums, I am sorry if that bothers you Ryan, but I'm sure you will get over it.

22. Dame Scribe profile image57

Welcome to HubPages, Jim smile is too bad that you see this side of some of HP hmm but there are wonderful people here. smile

Dame, I sincerely thank you for displaying civility. Your effort was much appreciated. smile

Sometimes we just need a reminder wink smile maybe we should have such signs hanging near our computers centre stage tongue lol lol

He didn't bother me a bit, he was sticking up for his friend and I applaud him for his chivalry.

And thank you for the welcome.

23. Dame Scribe profile image57

Sock puppet...opening a 2nd account with a different avatar to conceal the real person. hmm somebody will correct me if I am wrong tongue smile I think that's what it means.

Oh, no I am not a sock puppet. Why is this such a concern anyway?

Sock puppets are sometimes used for the wrong reasons. hmm Instead of just a 2nd account towards building up one's adsense, it's used in forums to release bad behavior onto others?

2. profile image0

Jim, sock puppets have been the single biggest cause of confrontation and controversy on this site. There have even been people known to have conversations with themselves on threads to get ahead in a debate or argument. Sad, very sad in fact, but true.

I am beginning to see that confrontation seems to come easily for some, are you sure it is the fault of the sock puppet or does the fault derive from the established hubwriter?

Many sockpuppets use a new account to get around a ban, which is against the TOS by the way. Many of them do nothing but create conflict.

2. profile image0

You have to ask yourself the motives behind a second personality established solely to join discussion on a forum, when the human behind that account already has an established hubpages account which they also actively use on the forum. Then ask yourself what the motive would be for people to set up dozens of other accounts on a forum. I would give you strong examples, only it will just serve to bring up the past. Jim, get over this thread.

Ryan,I am way over this thread. I haven't attacked anyone and don't plan to. I will have civil discussions and try and treat people with the respect they deserve, but don't be surprised if I tease a tad. I mean nothing by it.

3. Dame Scribe profile image57

Sock puppets are used to attack others and can get ugly. Some will get banned outright or suspended and is best to not respond but report them. hmm just my thoughts.

24. raisingme profile image75
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

~Criticism, as it was first instituted by Aristotle, was meant as a standard of judging well; the chiefest part of which is to observe those excellencies which delight a reasonable reader ~  ........John Dryden

Methinks we have strayed!

~ They criticize me for harping on the obvious - If all the folks in the United States would do the few simple things they know they ought to do, most of our big problems would take care of themselves ~
    ......Calvin Coolidge

25. Dame Scribe profile image57

We have strayed from the original topic lol must be enjoying ourselves.. tongue sorta ..just need a beer or some wine lol now, lol

26. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

Well, ya just can't have positive without the negative. Just like my truck battery. Yin Yan and the ying yangs. Be glad we all live. In the grave with worms is negativity for sure.

1. raisingme profile image75
      raisingmeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

'Tis true but if the battery had more negative than positive you'd be hooped!

27. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

This was a political thread?  I didn't see that.  Anyhoo - I just think that people who like to argue for real with each other about politics, religion, social mores etc. should go ahead and do that and not pretend to come into thread proclaiming positive solutions to natter about how bad the opposition is.   This is why I stick to the vacuous fun and quipping parodies threads with cute images and silliness - which reminds me - where are all the wacky queries awaiting my wacky advice?

You people who like to label each other and blame deserve each other.  Leave the rest of us alone in our blissful ignorance, if that is so, but I don't believe it.

28. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

Did any one count how long it took to turn this into a political AND religious thread all in one shot????  Made me laugh out loud!

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...i noticed too...just stayed out of it!

29. Uninvited Writer profile image80

You aren't looking hard enough. Brenda made a personal attack on me at the very beginning of this thread.

Of course, not as bad as someone saying "you own a book?" and getting reported for it.

I'm sure she could have said it differently but it does not rise to the level of calling others stupid or nazi just because they see things differently.

As you said earlier there seems to be a lack of positivity and to defend insults and attacks isn't helping in that regard.

Again, you have not read enough of the forum to make a statement that only the left name call. Name calling has been used just as often by the other side.

People tend to see personal attacks where there are none and not see them where there are, it all depends on your perspective.

Perhaps I haven't read enough of the forum, I was just going by my personal experience.

2. profile image0

If this refers to me then I never called neonazicons stupid - =and the use of nazi seems appropriate to describe the brownshirt tactics that are being openly used verbally in these forums with direct vehhement unsubstantiated and unjustified attacks on the leader of your country

No someone else called them stupid, you think its appropriate to call them nazis because they don't like the POTUS?

What did you call the liberals who were (and still are) equally vicious towards George W Bush?

For some reason I doubt you minded at all.

1. profile image0

Because the Liberals who were appalled at the blatant aggression of Bush substantiated through lies and deceit did not put up hate speeches - they offered reasoned argument - because they had one.

Yes, calling people you disagree with nazi is a reasonable and well thought out response.

Thank you for your time.

1. profile image0

It is not because I disagree - it is because they behave in this manner.

No they don't, they behave in a manner different than you. Not very accepting of other points of view are you?

30. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Sadly, civilized debate used to be possible. I remember some great conservative and liberal orators from the past who, even if they vehemently disagreed with who they were arguing with, were civil in their arguments.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It would be nice if we could do that here.

1. profile image0

big_smile big_smile big_smile You have to love trollspeak big_smile

See what I mean? You don't have to resort to personal insults like that all the time. You really don't. We can try to elevate the level of discourse around here.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

Let's start here!  How many accounts do you have here Sab?  And do you post on the forums with several?  A true answer from you would go a long way to making us think you are sincere in your new role as a "caring, polite hubber who wants good dialogue with other members."

Well, Sab?  Ignoring my query?

X3?

2. Sab Oh profile image56

"How many accounts do you have here Sab?"

For the last time, I have only ever had one and only one account and one screen name. This is me, so anyone else being pestered is a victim of a rather strange obsession by some.

I don't know and don't care how many accounts and/or names anyone else has. The topic is silly and unproductive and inevitably leads us back to the aforementioned negativity.

Can we move on now?

Okay, let's suppose you are sincere.  Do you understand why your sudden interest in being polite and quelling the insults might seem disingenuous to some of us?

"Okay, let's suppose you are sincere."

"let's suppose"? I don't require your supposition, only your compliance.

Avoiding questions as usual!  Same old Sob!  Never mind, I choose not to comply!

Ask me a serious question and I'll give you an answer. If I were to ask you "so, how long have you been beating your wife?" I wouldn't expect an actual answer. You know all this. Be serious.

No thanks!  I found out what I wanted to know already!

31. Jim Hunter profile image60

You added something about a book. Reported?

In another thread someone complained that someone making a comment "you own a book?" was a personal insult and that it had been reported.

32. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Personally, I have never called anyone a Nazi unless they are actually a member of the Nazi party...

33. Uninvited Writer profile image80

But it was not a personal insult. If he had said "You obviously haven't gotten any brighter" that would be a personal insult.

1. profile image0

and it was true

What was true?

34. Uninvited Writer profile image80

This is starting to look like one of those marathon arguments between china man and Sab Oh. Can you both just agree to disagree and quit trying to have the last word?

I can

2. profile image0

maybe it is Sab Oh !!!!!!

Don't go there...

3. livelonger profile image86

Disputes between Japanese and Chinese go back many decades. smile

Longer than that even, though I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread...

I was talking about the dynamic between you and china man. I was under the impression you were of Japanese extraction.

He is not Chinese and I am not Japanese.

I didn't say you were Japanese. I said I was under the impression you were of Japanese extraction. I know you are American.

Maybe you just have a thing for Japanese culture. Looking at china man's profile, it seems he has one for Chinese culture.

I have a "thing" for human cultures.

35. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Extremely positive thread! lol

With lots of solutions.

2. profile image0

big_smile  and there is an argument thread open that invites insult and stupid ideas as the reason for being there big_smile

36. birellar profile image61
    birellarposted 13 years ago

I liked this thread with positive solutions.

37. Flightkeeper profile image67

Wow, this thread really did degenerate into a whole bunch of nattering nabobs of negativism from all the liberals.  Now why am I not surprised? Positive solutions anyone? lol

38. bsscorpio8 profile image61
    bsscorpio8posted 13 years ago

Oh I suppose it is because there IS a lot of negativity out there these days,that and overwhelming feelings of hopelessness.Speaking of hope,why did we fall for the dope of hope?

See, when you use "dope of hope" it becomes hard to see you as anyone I can have an intelligent conversation with.  Of course you may be such a person. but when you toss out that kind of nonsense, you rile me up and for at least a few seconds, I stop thinking rationally too.

Why don't you try again and maybe we can actually have a useful conversation about hope and hopelessness? That subject is actually a decent pivot point for liberals and conservatives to spin around.

"See, when you use "dope of hope" it becomes hard to see you as anyone I can have an intelligent conversation with.

The interesting thing is you wrote that while wearing a rainbow wig.

I like your expression of angst.

I liked your late great Hub, very good read.

Thank you kindly.

Why don't you try to have an intelligent conversation with me? Do not give up so easily.

Okay,when you deal with politics,you are dealing with politicians,politicians are GREAT with words,I am saying that everyone went on hope and change.What is hope when dealing with politics? It can become like dope,something to get us by until it is over,and we find out that things are not going for the better.Where does hope leave us then? We need something a little more concrete.Can a politician deliver anything that is going to please EVERYONE and not just their worthy constituents?

I say "dope of hope" because at the time it was being used,it was a panacea,just like dope to a junkie.

Well, I disagree.

Obama did represent hope to many of us.   He has let us down, but we knew in our hearts that he would, because the liberal agenda he represented never had a chance.  If he hadn't let us down, the conservatives would be ten times more angry than they are now.

But that's the nature of the beast.  Politicians say what we we want to hear, they paint the world as we'd like to see it, maybe even as they'd like to see it, but we all know that reality is going to pull things back from ideals, whether the ideals are from my side or the other.   We judge Presidents by how well they can sell and how much they can sell and by that standard, yes, Obama comes up short.  But as I said, if he had done better in my wishes, the other side would hate him even more.

Of course he has had just a few problems here and there that were a teeny bit distracting :-)

Really, I hope he doesn't seek a second term.  In my ideal world, the Dems would just stand aside, bow politely and wave in whatever Republican is fool enough to want the job.  It's what we should have done in 2008; if we had, you probably wouldn't see another Republican President fot twenty years.  I'd see that as a good trade, but I would still feel badly for whoever tried to pick up the pieces.  This Humpty-Dumpty isn't going to look anything like an egg for a long time to come.

OK, so now lets turn to hope.   Where does it come from?  From my POV, the rich are destroying us.   There is too much disparity in income, too much injustice, too much political influence.   I'd like to see change in those areas.   Obama sure isn't going to do it and I can't imagine a Republican candidate who would even think any of that was important, so where does that leave me?

I get frustrated when I hear people not even as well off as I am championing the cause of the super-rich and refusing any idea that would put back wealth to the middle class they so cleverly extracted it from.   History shows us time and time again that situations like this end badly for everyone, but nobody seems to see that.

So you tell me:   Where would your hope come from?

What are you disagreeing with? My hope would come from myself,I sure would not place it on guys who are paid to,"paint the world we'd like to see."Hatred of Obama"? That is the nature of partisan politricks.Remember when George Bush number one said,"NEW WORLD ORDER"? That is what we are experiencing now,the beginning stages of the NEW WORLD ORDER,and what scares most people is that they can't do anything about it.Things are happening to people who were fine with it happening to someone else,now it is happening to them,it is happening to all of us.

Perhaps both parties should step aside and give "the new kids on the block" a go at it... that is... in an ideal world.

Well, no, it actually isn't happening to all of us.  Some are still living fat and happy and saying things like "You know, a million dollars a year isn't all that much nowadays".   Not to them, I guess.

The only "new kids" I see are pitching idealistic ideas that will get shot down by reality.  What ideas do you see that can actually fly?  What will they change?

I see it like you see it,it's a crying shame.When I say it is happening to us all,I mean the common folk.I know that there are fat cats,we are light years apart.

Hey that's pretty good.  I just realized that the word hope is something that the Dems like to throw around, so we've got mottoes for the last two Dem presidents:

Obama is the Dope of Hope
      and Clinton is the Dope from Hope

Nice!

lol

Clinton is more like The Dope of Grope. All hail Bubba!!!

lol Gotta say, Hillary put Bubba on a tighter leash after the presidency.

39. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

they're not getting their news from foxnews.
    they're technologically savvy and find their news from numerous sources.

they are both conservative with certain issues and socially conscious, it can work.

40. raisingme profile image75
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

"Too many Nattering nabobs of Negativism"

What you resist you get more of.  And, it is a comment people, an opinion which is different from a fact.  "Too many Nattering nabobs of Negativism" is not a question and it is not an answer to a question therefore it is not an origination it is merely an opinion. 

People with red hair and freckles should not be allowed to vote
    = an opinion

Some people have red hair and freckles = a fact

We start wars with each other over opinions - opinion (noun) a belief, conclusion, judgment of feeling that may or may not be true.

Fact (noun) something that can be perceived and is real; something having actual, verifiable existence

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?"”

Winnie the Pooh quote

For every action there is a reaction = fact.

Talk begets talk = fact.

Political talk causes fights = fact.

I like to have lunch with people who use big words = fact.

Opinions are like a**holes,everyone's got one = fact.

I am making a whole lot of sense = opinion (and that's a fact!)

For every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction - Newton's Law

Talk does not always beget talk - it sometimes begets silence and it sometimes begets action and it sometimes begets ideas - fact

Political talk sometimes causes fights and sometimes causes agreements  - fact 

You like to have lunch with people who use big words - fact, my sister-in-law does not - fact, I'm good either way -fact.

"The dress your wearing looks lovely on you" - that opinion is not stated by an a**hole but it is a fact that everyone has one

I am making a whole lot of sense could have been a fact had some of your facts not been opinions or not the whole fact

You and I exist - Truth
        You and I have different understandings and experiences - Truth
        You and I have different viewpoints - Truth

A reaction whether equal or opposite is still a reaction = fact

Talk begets talk FROM SOMEONE...SOMEWHERE = fact

Talking to a mute could be a one way conversation. = fact

Three things bound to cause a fight,SOMEWHERE with SOMEONE:religion,money,and politics. = fact

You should not talk while you eat to ensure optimum digestion and total enjoyment of food. = fact

Everyone does NOT have a pretty dress = fact

The fact that I thought I was making a whole lot of sense was an opinion.

I think,therefore I am. = fact

Could be that we have similar understandings and opinions = opinion.

For all we know we have similar viewpoints = opinion

This is silly,in my opinion = fact

41. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/arguing-couple.jpg

Like I said - viewpoints - that is funny!

42. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

I find it interesting and think UW has made a very important point about the behaviors among these threads.

But let's face it, watching people, I would say more than half love the drama, can't wait to read the attack back fro a comment, some just can't wait for some males to come and post and follow them around and vs versa, many just absolutely love the repetitive political and religious threads first they are perfect to try and look smart and secondly it gives others another venue to gossip, people talk in sarcastic code about others and the insults are ridiculous given the poster has no clue about the actual truth, nor cares to.

I also believe to some extent all forums are the same, a competition of who can be noticed and smartest first.  The quest to prove who is right.  Bottom Line.

No one in this thread has taken any responsibilities for this issue and sadly are happy to feed the exact opposite of what UW was talking about.  Hey maybe it's a good thing as we all have proven in detail the very symptoms of negativism .

I have taken my bans and were justified fr entering the forums in an emotional state of mind.

Banning has certainly increased whether you feel justified or not.  I see small changes starting to happen and believe more support is peaking it's way through

Anyways, just what I think

Cheers

Kimberly

ps I wonder how negative the responses will be to this post, this would be sad, not to say everyone of course has the right to their own opinion

Great thread UW, thanks smile

You certainly can't be faulted for having an opinion, or at least I wont fault you for it.

1. profile image0

I absolutely make faults and about to right now but it might be best for me to just leave, snakes shed their skin and can swallow a cow, I like being eaten but not my whole body

Randy so you got everything you need now?

Nice post, never have talked to you once in a year and a half

But you have reasons for being ignorant

guess what i don't tolerate being attacked

enjoy your cow

man people here prove this thread true

me included

nice!

Who attacked you, Kim?  Not I!  I merely wondered why you disliked this thread.  Be angry if you like, and you seem to like.

I have never attacked you nor do I need to it seems.  Sorry you assumed I did!  But whatever!

And yes, I have swallowed a cow before.  But it was in the form of filet mignon!

1. profile image0

I don't believe you attacked me literally

however i have no idea what you have against me

no need to let me know at this point, sad, i don't even now you but respected you from reading your posts, so I just don't get it.  I'll end with that.  Randy you don't knot know me and maybe could be open to the possibility my message was meant in a different tone.

Never mind this is so weird I can't articulate what I mean/

Your point is heard and I will not hold judgement because I don't know your motives just the same

god evening

Sorry you think I am mad at you, Kim!  Not so, because I don't really know you well enough to dislike you!  Peace!

Randy

1. profile image0

Wanker

now I;m bloody well falling for you

xo

Glad you're not mad at me Kim!  I piss enough people off already! HA!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
                    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmmmmm, I prefer pissing ON people. (especially religious types who ring my doorbell.)

2. profile image0

OMG me too

and I don't ever have to do a damn thing lol

Looks like my bitch attack got me lucky to make a new friend

If not back to bitch lol

tooooooo funny

we should share a thread 'who does not like us'  think people couldn't publish we'd be taking all the memory

didn't mean to bitch snap at you, oh so many people are going to post, I feel the tremble or was that a small earthquake?

big_smile

People are people.

3. Randy Godwin profile image61

Not enough drama?

43. profile image0

do not excuse me of drama when i was just making a statement

the only thing Randy you desired was to fuel me and I'm over it, oh how we will meet again and then celebrate drama

thanks for being such a nice guy

I assume you meant "accuse" instead of excuse?  And you are wrong again, Kim!  We did converse once before!  Sorry you are miffed!

44. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

If I did ever have a face-to-face conversation with any of the conservatives here, I know which "other side" I'd be seeing!  they scare me, actually!  so vociferous and violent and vituperant (is that a word)  basically, also, vile!

Get a new thesaurus? lol

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Vitriolic, too, perhaps!

@ UW: The Alliteration Thesaurus.
      wink

3. Jim Hunter profile image60

And they are all so judgmental always thinking they are right and assume everyone is as they say they are, no wait thats you.

I've never understood this "You think you are right" complaint.

Of course we think we are right.  We may have minor doubts, we may be willing to listen to new evidence, but what is the point of having an opinion if you don't think it is "right"?

Oddly, one of the character failings conservatives sometimes say liberals exhibit is being too ambivalent on the issues, being too willing to see both sides.  That is "weak", they say.  But when we do assert a strong opinion, there we go, "thinking we are right".

No wonder we walk around muttering to ourselves.

I could be wrong about any of this ;-)

I'm sure there are a lot of things you don't understand.

I know you think you are right, even when you are dead wrong you think you are right, that's called delusion.

I have never heard a conservative complain about a liberal being willing to see both sides, I have never seen a liberal willing to see anything other than what they have been told to see.

Is that why you walk around muttering to yourselves? I just assumed the wig was too tight.

Could be wrong? Yeah, you certainly could be.

Oh well.. Yet another one.

Have a LOVELY day, Jim.

My thoughts exactly

It is sooooo, disheartening isn't it? lol lol lol

Sooooooo disheartening.

Liberals have a tiresome habit of insisting that no one can legitimately disagree with their point of view. Anyone who doesn't see everything their way is "blind" "asleep" "uninformed" or not "thinking for themselves." That's why you never hear a democrat who loses an election say, "well, the people have spoken and they just agreed with the other guy this time." It is always, "we didn't explain clearly enough to make the voters understand" and such.

We voters never know whats good for us, do we?

Not unless we vote the way the superior ones say we should.

I hate being inferior to the master class.

The people who have actually read my various hubs in the area of Conservatism vs. Liberalism must be quite puzzled by your assumptions.   

It's funny, isn't it?  I actually tried to engage in an intelligent discussion, but the Three Horsemen decided that trampling all that while waving their hats in the air and egging each other on was much more fun.

Anytime you actually do want to try to discuss anything, please be sure to let me know.  I won't hold my breath. 

I have to leave for my weekly poker game now.  It's usually me and one other liberal against all the other conservatives.  Unlike this, we actually manage to talk to each other now and then.

Please feel free to pick me apart while I'm gone.  Definitely DO NOT go read anything I have written  about this because I would hate to make you choke on your words.

Ok, I wont read them.

I don't feel the need to pick you apart. As a matter of fact up until I read this post I had forgotten you actually existed.

Lasting impressions.

2. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

oooo oooooh!  was that a personal attack, Jim?  uh oh, not nice!

1. profile image0

uh oh

I'm so telling

Mega
          wtf I'm done waiting for the baam in our thread

4. Sab Oh profile image56

"they scare me, actually!  so vociferous and violent and vituperant (is that a word)  basically, also, vile!"

LOL! Are you sure you aren't overdoing it a bit?

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have to admit that mask is kinda scary, Sab Oh.  lol

45. Uninvited Writer profile image80

"I have never seen a liberal willing to see anything other than what they have been told to see."

I feel that is an unfair statement. My beliefs have been formed over a lifetime of experience. Not every single thing I believe is liberal, and I disagree with a lot of what I see; no one tells me what to see.

I find it humorous that many topics do not get taken up here by conservatives on HubPages until they have been roundly reported on Fox or conservative blogs. That is not saying the all conservatives are told what to see either.

It would be interesting to see how much liberals disagree with each other on a variety of issues, vs how much conservatives disagree with each other on those same issues.

My guess is that conservatives are more in lockstep with each other than liberals, and toe the FNC line more than liberals toe the MSNBC line.

A more charitable way to say that is that conservatives reach consensus more easily than we quarrelsome liberals :-)

Or

Conservatives see things more clearly because facts are easier to remember than lies!

That's exactly what the North Koreans and Cubans say. They have a remarkably high level of consensus, one that, I'm sure, conservatives have a lot of respect for.

Wow, you really are reaching lol  But hey, that's to be expected.

At least they are ideologically pure! No CINOs (Communists in Name Only) tolerated.

That makes absolutely no sense.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

"facts" like Mission Accomplished?

Truly memorable. lol

Please respond, W gave us about 10,000 such facts.  We can keep this going for months.

I didn't fall for any of his lies I didn't vote for him.

But, the liberal contention that the election in 2000 was a selection is a lie. The lie is easy to see if you can read a law and are capable of understanding.

Lie
              "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, ms Lewinsky!"
              Lie
              "If my stimulus plan is made law unemployment will not rise above 8%"
              Lie
              "I will not have lobbyists in my administration"
              Lie
              "I will leave proposed legislation on the internet so all citizens will be able to see it for 5 days"

Lies, lies, lies! I was not referring to lies that politicians told, I was referring to lies liberals in general tell!

WMD- this counts many times over seeing as how so many thousands died as a result.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Please identify the "liberal" who you are quoting.

(hint: only the most extreme wingnuts consider centrists to be liberals)

Only the most extreme apologist considers Clinton and Obama a centrist.

Wrong again (in the interest of efficiency, I'll simply type "ditto" everytime you post an innaccuracy.)

ditto

The overwhelming majority of political analysts consider both to be centrist.  That'a what I admire most about Obama; he pisses off whackos at both ends of the spectrum.

I don't watch fox and maybe you are the exception to the rule, maybe not.

46. Seakay profile image61
    Seakayposted 13 years ago

Oh my, can't we have a difference of opinion without the attacks?  There is no right or wrong.  There are just opinions.  Welcome to LIFE!  And so it goes...

Actually, we haven't yet had any real difference of opinion - which makes it even more sad, I think.

But I'm running late for poker.  Have a great night.

47. profile image0

Honestly I am laughing so hard at myself having no clue what a liberal or concervative is and feeling so confused

Beware anyone that thinks of making a fool of me I'm hitting the report button lol
    Then continue to make a fool of myself lol

Just FYI post

cheers

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)