Shirley Sherrod Treated Shoddily

Jump to Last Post 101-106 of 106 discussions (435 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

But Keith Olbermann doesn't even have any children!

2. Mighty Mom profile image78

It's really very simple. Shirley Sherrod did not deserve to be fired.
    In that regard, she was treated shoddily.
    She got caught in the crosshairs of Breitbart et al at Fox News in their attempt to prove that racism exists in the NAACP. It would be idiotic to argue that NO racism exists in the NAACP.
    Just as it is idiotic to argue NO racism exists in the tea party.

This is really about the underhanded "journalistic" tactics employed by Breitbart.
    And yeah, the Obama administration looks bad, too.
    Sherrod's hasty firing by Vilsack may or may not have been intended by Breitbart. If not, it's gotta be 1000 extra bonus points for him. Good job, asswipe.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.

3. AnnCee profile image67
    AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

A white Sherrod would be a pariah cast out beyond the pale, doomed to wander the alley ways in sack cloth and ashes, her name a byword down the generations.

If a man said, "What you don't want to go out with me?   What are you some kind of Sherrod?", people would gasp at hearing the name spoken out loud.

4. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

let me fully explain what happened.

A news agency reported something. It was (at best) blown out of proportion.

(but here's the important part) EVERYONE BELIEVED IT WITHOUT BOTHERING TO DO THEIR OWN RESEARCH!!!!

Sounds to me like America got what it deserved. And it seems like the media already has what it wants - an army of deaf, blind, and dumb trolls.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right about what happened.  The news media, including those who call themselves "journalists," rushed to report a story without checking the facts.  Where I disagree with you is that I do not believe it is the responsibility of every American to check every fact that is reported in the media.  It is the responsibility of the journalists to do their job.  That is why they carry the title "journalist."

When I consult with a doctor, I expect him or her to have a certain level of knowledge and skill so that I don't have to second-guess and research on my own everything he/she tells me.  I trust that, because she is the doctor, she knows more than I do about medicine. 

In my opinion, journalists who make an error as egregious as that one should be fired, or at least consigned to the obituary page where they can't do as much widespread harm.

5. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

"Simple question "was Shirley Sherrod treated "shoddily" during the past week?" Was she treated differently (or better) than if she had been a white female in the same working role making the same type of comments about her feelings 20 years ago versus poor black farmers? .. I mean was it even 2 days before her incredibly poorly managed firing was over turned before she got her personally requested presidential apology in person from Obama and $ millions on book and talk show deals? Would a white manger in the agriculture dept have EVER received this much media coverage for this long? Yes or NO.... ( every and anyone on the left choosing to be brave and honest KNOWS the answer to this question... like you wouldn't want constant media coverage and I hear over $3 million so far in deals...why don't all the liberal types still crying over poor Shirley and her terrible treatment set up a character assassination fund for her and donate say 10% of their annual pay directly to her family..whites to pay double of course as most dems seem to think that sort of thing appropriate to prove they arent racists)"

You see, even now this is giving me a headache!

You are out of control hater IMO and I have no answer to it. Did whites suffer 300 years of racism? Were whites slaves? Were whites called 3/5th human? Were laws enacated making whites lesser than? What do you want???

Put it like this: If a white woman said she thought about discriminating against a black man because a racist black man had killed her father....I think every white person would say "That's perfectly understandable". Does that answer whatever you wanted answered??

And this is why I called you out of control...and why it was as far as I needed to get to find that out:
    "all pale Uncle Tom liberal media types such as Olbermann's"...this makes no sense to me...at all.
    What does this mean?

6. Mighty Mom profile image78

LOL AnnCee. That's pretty funny!
    "What are you, some kind of Sherrod?"
    Only I would change it to "What are you, some kind of Breitbart."

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)