Time to boycott Mel Gibson!

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (54 posts)
  1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

http://www.cagle.com/news/melgibson/images/sack.jpg

2. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

I'm gonna laugh when his Ex does jail time for illegally recording their conversations.

Mel is a Bad guy because the Media only wants to tell one side of the story.

Shouldn't be in the Media at all.

Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you aware that this incident is the second recent one revealing Gibson's white racist, anti-Semitic proclivities? I wouldn't walk across the street to see a free movie that Gibson had anything to do with. As far as I'm concerned he's scum.

<link snipped, no self-promoting links>

1. MikeNV profile image67
        MikeNVposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gibson is no hero... he may not even be a nice guy.

But the Media is convicting him before we have heard all the facts.  They do that all the time.

It's really that simple.

Well, we have heard all the facts about the 1996? dui incident, including Gibson's apology. Now he's apparently gone and done it again. Of his contemporaries I prefer George Clooney.

2. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

although im sure your intention of opening up this forum was pure, I can't say whether or not i agree with you because i would have to either read the source where you got this information from OR talk to mel gibson directly.  the reason i say this is because the AMERICAN MEDIA isn't concerned about reporting the fair unbiased news.  No, they're only interested in covering whatever sounds like a great story for ratings.  That's all. Therefore, i can't agree with you unless you cite a specific source where you heard Mel say this, as you could've misinterpreted completely what he said.  Not saying your wrong or anything, but i just don't buy into what people or media say, unless you can back it up with proof.

2. Lily Rose profile image85
      Lily Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree.  I don't know who is telling the truth, but I really don't care.  He is human; just because he's an actor doesn't mean that we all have to hold him to a higher standard and freak out when he acts human and gets upset.  He's entitled to scream and even cuss at someone who upsets him - whether or not it's a gold-digging b-t-h!  Like you said, the media is one-sided.  I will not boycott him because MAYBE he's not a nice guy in real life.  If he acts in a movie and it's a good movie, I'll watch it...

Who's holding Mel to a higher standard? An racist anti-Semite is a racist anti-Semite whether he's Mel Gibson or your next door neighbor.

3. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

Anybody making $$ sensationalizing privacy of high profile people should be boycotted hmm hope she goes to jail too. We all say things we later regret in the heat of anger.

4. Haunty profile image72
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

Racist remarks happen all the time. Even when they don't.

??"Even when they don't."??

Gibson's racism and anti-Semitism are well documented as are the anti-Semitic rants he learned at this father's knee. Angry outbursts usually reveal attitudes and deeply held beliefs.

1. Haunty profile image72
        Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't referring to Mel Gibson. I was only making a general statement that is, of course, only an opinion as long as I don't prove it.

I don't know about Gibson's well-documented relationship to his father and what he leaned from him, so I can only take your statement as an opinion.

His father, Hutton Gibson, belongs to "The Holy Family," a Catholic traditionalist cult  that rejects the reforms of the Second Vatican Council. Gibson père is a Holocaust denier who believes al-Qaida wasn't behind the 9/11 attacks, and his son helped fund building the cult a chapel in Los Angeles. Hutton has penned conspiracy-minded book, including "Is the Pope Catholic?"

http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/artic … n/19539835

5. leeberttea profile image56
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

I would suggest that if you really believe that Gibson is the evil man portrayed by the media that you go ahead and boycott him.

I'd be willing to bet though that there are more than a few African Americans and Jews involved in the production, filming, and distribution of his movies which would also be hurt by such a boycott.

I have been boycotting him ever since his drunken, anti-Semitic rant at a policeman who arrested him for dui a couple of years ago.

1. leeberttea profile image56
        leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As is your right and I applaude you for sticking to your convictions.

Thanks. Feel free to join in.

6. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 13 years ago

With everything else going on in the world Mel Gibson , and Lindsay Lohan are just not Important

Lindsay Lohan is quite different from Mel Gibson. I feel sorry for her because she has apparently been exploited by her parents and for her addictions. Gibson is a successful big name actor and director who is also a racist and an anti-Semite. He is being exposed by the media in the same way other celebrity racists in a variety of fields have been exposed for what they are. He is deserving of public scorn for his unacceptable words and beliefs.

ADD: I completely agree that there are much more important things going on in the world today than the sick mind and mouth of Mel Gibson.

2. Adult Content profile image58
      Adult Contentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with Tony.  (Then again, Lohan in handcuffs in one of those GOOD women's prisons might be hot!)
      I also have to agree that there are plenty of non-whites in show business that an intentional boycott would in theory hurt.  Then again, to some extent I also say STFU to anyone who works in show business and doens't think he or she makes enough money. 
      I sometimes work in show business and I don't care how long the days are it's the easiest gig in the world!  You get paid, you get fame of varying degrees and they feed you incredibly well!
      People get drunk and talk shit all the time.  We deal with it.  There are two kinds of people in this world according to a college buddy of mine:
      @ssholes
      and
      $hitheads
      The difference is if you do NOT know you're an @sshole then you are a $hithead.
      I recognize my @sshole potential.  (If you can't see your own then you are obviously a $hithead.)  Maybe it's decades of hiring quotas and being overly PC but I just don't care much about this stuff. 
      Sorry.  Mel just gets caught on camera when he is displaying his.  I never pay full price to see ANYone's movies so MY  actions and certainly my opinions --which everyone has--like @ssholes--really truly have no power out there in the real world.
      Yeah and now I am p*ssed because I could have gotten a whole hub out if this!

Apology accepted! :-)

3. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is true.

7. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

There's zillions of petitions emailing about, most my family is jewish as was I when I married, not now.  Still, I hate him, but nothing I say or do or sign will change this dude, so I say let him wear his crest, he is hated by everyone, that is his Karma, his career is ruined, friends gone, the last three movies he auditioned for he was told not to come back EVER!  Even the media is getting tired.

Listen Mel, may people always treat you as you have treated them.

Cheers

big_smile

Amen! I'm with you Kimberly.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

By the way, Ralph.....

There's been worse anti-semitism from one particular person on this site,  outright anti-semitism, hatred for the whole nation of Israel, from another Hubber, and where were you then?   Did you boycott that nasty Hubber, I wonder?

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

certainly your not referring to me, If so, please show me the post given the Jewish ..... never mind but are you referring to me, just asking cause Ralph was talking to me.

Thanks

1. profile image0

No, I wasn't referring to you;  it's another person.
            I just referred to the post Ralph posted to your post where you said Mel should get the same treatment as he gives others or something to that effect.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

I don't recall that. I'm sure that I wouldn't have agreed with him or her. However, I hope you're not making the mistake of equating criticism of Israel's current policies toward Palestine with anti-Semitism.

8. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

This could make for a long discussion,  but I wanna say that Gibson's anti-semitic remark years ago was......taken a bit wrong, and also he apologized for it.
    I haven't read whatever it is he's supposedly said now, but if he's wrong I hope he repents and gets his life straight again, because I believe he's a man of Faith, just troubled by his demons like many people are.

1. leeberttea profile image56
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Right! I heard the tapes and they are disturbing. However like when Alec Baldwin was embroiled in a divorce left a very offensive voice mail to his daughter and was given some slack in the media, we should with hold judgement on Gibson. His words were spoken in a heated and private conversation which we have only been privy to certain parts. Just like with Sherrod, we should wait until we know more, except we may never know more of what is behind this private and apparently very emotional breakup.

Most of us occasionally say things in the heat of anger or under the influence of alcohol that we regret later. Ordinary people apologize and go on their way. Celebrities pay a bigger price for their indiscretions. That's life.

2. profile image0

Brenda, and this is not sarcastic but do you know or have any proof this is a man acting from Faith?  Has he said so, and what is a demon?  Do you mean he is and aren't they mystical creatures we make up?  Like dragon looking killers?  I must be lost, truly.  I should go, not understanding, take care.

1. profile image0

No, I don't have any proof that he's a man of Faith.  I just said I believe he is, from some things he said during the making of the Passion of The Christ and from things I heard about him.

Demons are fallen angels, part of that one-third that God kicked out of Heaven long ago.

It is my belief that demons can attack a person or hover around a person, even a Christian, but can never actually possess a Christian.   Like I said, that's my belief according to the Bible and according to my understanding of my Faith.

And I'm not trying to defend Mel's actions or words if they're what it seems to be.  I'm pro-Israel and believe they're God's "chosen people" from the start.   
        But I do believe that the devil periodically attacks those who have strong Faith.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

He has made millions off of his "faith." But he doesn't seem to be a very good Christian to me.

9. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

oh ps Mel, you are so 1997, sad.

10. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

On July 28, 2006, Mel Gibson was arrested and charged with driving under the influence while speeding (87 miles per hour in a 45 miles per hour zone) on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, California.[6]  During the arrest, he was uncooperative and made anti-Semitic remarks to the arresting officers. His bail was set at $5,000 and he was released.[7]

Later that evening, a four-page portion of an allegedly redacted or suppressed police report was posted on the entertainment website TMZ.com.[8] (The report was subsequently posted online at Slate.com.)[9] The report is purported to be part an original written by the arresting officer, Deputy James Mee, before he was allegedly instructed by his superiors to omit details about Gibson's anti-Semitic comments and abusive behavior.[10] The leaked police report indicates that Gibson asked one officer if he was Jewish and stated, "Fucking Jews...the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world."[5][10] The report further alleges that Gibson refused to be transported to the police station and had to be restrained. He continued his tirade at the police station, where he was videotaped asking a female officer, "What are you looking at, sugartits?" and possibly attempting to urinate on the floor.[10] According to the report, Gibson's blood alcohol content was measured at 0.12% (the legal blood alcohol level limit for driving in California is 0.08%).[10] See also: Effects of alcohol on the body.

TMZ later alleged that Gibson has been stopped twice before in Malibu for drunk driving but was released without a citation. [11]

1. profile image0

My parents always said there's a devil in the bottle.
      Sounds like Mel needs to get some help for his alcoholism if that's what his problem is.

2. profile image0

It's funny, I was just sitting here thinking could someone like this, who clearly portrayed a different man all these years, actually change his behavior, be rehabilitated, or will he worsen?  I appreciate the post, I feel strongly now he will no doubt worsen, and I hope the media ignores him on his spiral downwards even further.  I mean his life must be in danger from some people.  He is obviously very sick though I hold no empathy.  And imagine if he got help and was rehabilitated?  I could never trust this given his actions and brilliant ability to hide himself for years, topping the charts.  He indeed ia either a brilliant actor or had good friends and managers doing his work for him

Again Mel, may people treat you as you have treated them, always.

11. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

sure, start picking on Mel Gibson but where does it end?

Today it's Mel, tomorrow its Michael Richards

http://magicstatistics.com/wp-content/pictures/persons/Michael_Richards.jpg

1. profile image0

good point mate

but mel is way worse

I don't think Kramer is in the clear by far yet either

12. chigoiyke profile image59
    chigoiykeposted 13 years ago

This guy Mel Gibson, whats wrong with him. He is totally weird. I dont understand why someone with such profile can talk carelessly. smh. well I got nothing to say, but this guy is not worth the attention at all. Let him move on as I also do. smh

13. Sab Oh profile image57
    Sab Ohposted 13 years ago

It seems pretty clear that whatever kind of "ist" he may or may not be, the guy has got a screw loose.

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...or a few..

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/mel-gibson-mental-illness%281%29.jpg

1. profile image0

ha

Ah, much different from his "Mad Max" and "Passion of The Christ" days, huh?

Or is that a fake pic?

14. Sab Oh profile image57
    Sab Ohposted 13 years ago

What's more ironic, him playing the 'crazy guy' character in all those movies or him playing Danny Glover's buddy in all those movies? Glover may have a screw loose himself of course.

15. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Mel Gibson is obviously not the first -- or last -- Hollywood star to suffer from alcoholism. If left untreated, it escalates and destroys rationality and reasoning. It's really not uncommon for drunks to curse a blue streak at authority figures (police, EMTs, nurses, doctors) who interfere with them when drinking.

As offensive as his rantings are, I believe he needs help. I hope he figures that out.

As for his "baby mama" (like the media aren't biased, eh?), no comment.

The alcohol didn't turn him into an anti-Semite and racist. He learned that from his father who is a notorious Holocaust denier. The alcohol just brought it out into the open. I agree he appears to be an alcoholic who badly needs help.

16. wildorangeflower profile image60
    wildorangeflowerposted 13 years ago

We should leave him alone, it is his personal life, and one could watch his movies because his acting is good.

1. mythbuster profile image72
      mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

17. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

yeah.. i especially like his role in the remake of Birth of a Nation.. or was that his wife's tape??

18. Paradise7 profile image71
    Paradise7posted 13 years ago

I'm very glad not to have any celebrity status whatsoever because it seems the celebrities sacrifice way too much privacy.  If we put every single one of our most private actions under the microscope for public scrutiny I betcha not one person on this planet would hold up so well.  How the celebrities tolerate this constant invasion of privacy is totally beyond me--I would go bonkers in a New York minute.

19. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

There is no doubt that Mel has a drinking problem - an addiction that many suffer from celebrity or not.  The thing with alcohol is that it takes the person over and they are not thinking or responding in a conscious manner.  Much of the negative garbage programming (and it is obvious that Mel received much of this in childhood, from his father) can and does come spewing out.  One is then acting out of an artificial identity (as in one not of their own making)and when the person sobers up and is once again connected with their conscious mind they often have the responsibility of cleaning up the mess made while they were absent.  While Mel is not responsible for the programming he received from his father (as in the sins of the father are visited upon...), he most likely was not even aware it was there until it spewed out his mouth, he is responsible for it now that it has come to his conscious awareness.

It may well be that this negative programming is at the root of his alcohol addiction given that alcohol is often used when one has an area of life that is very painful and difficult to confront. 

If a person has a broken arm or leg or some such they are often treated with compassion rather than condemnation, when one has a damaged spirit it is a different matter altogether.  One of the reasons the criticisms are so harsh is that we all have areas of our lives where we have gone into agreement with less than optimum beliefs and precepts and have acted out of the negative side of the split.  It is not an easy thing to confront when one has done that - it takes a lot of courage and honesty to confront those areas of life where we have said or done things that are harmful to others.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

..yes..i agree...sounds like a good hub topic...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)