why do women think its sexy to be so skinny?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (67 posts)
  1. profile image50
    drecolton77posted 13 years ago

Its crazy how so many beatiful women starve there bodys to be beautiful if you ask me that not sexy thats scary

1. Thunder Vixen profile image63
      Thunder Vixenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am tired of this...I think people can be beautiful with their natural body types...people that say things to make people change their healthy weight piss me off...and I don't just mean to lose weight but I mean so many people told me that "skinny is ugly" "skinny girls have no curves" that it really hurt me. I felt ugly for being a healthy weight for my bone structure. I started eating more and more and couldn't gain so I ate more and more and I finally gained some weight and lost my natural curves and got very out of shape. So I don't want anyone to say big is better or skinny is better, but for people to say hey you look good being a healthy you...It goes both ways...

2. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely, and much is relative to height and bone structure.

I am 43 years old and have never weighed more than 125 pounds, naturally.  Check this out I was a skinny pregnant chick too!  Now drec, that is not a glowing nurturing look, its nasty.  Really nasty.

Okay so I do enjoy being skinny, not underweight for the clothing options, and they have a larger selection, and fit in a 'tailored' fashion.

However I have forever wanted more poundage, well, like my mom truthfully.

I am tiny boned (perceived as fragile), skinny legs (over rides the length when your thighs were given to someone else), girls like me just got no booty. fact. (not cool for jeans) we also were overlooked in the breast category.  Majority says if skinny chick has big boobs, bought and paid for by considerate and giving husband.  Oh yes, the combo can exist, However how often, naturallY?

So lets recap, my overall fortune of being thin basically has left me looking far younger than I am, questionable regarding eating disorders, never getting to cuss out some dude for rude comments or starring, dresses, not jeans, asked for ID in bars til 28 years old, become an ugly angry pregnant skeleton, but be glad Ann Taylor dresses fit well

LMFAO

lol lol

I want boobs too - free ones, then I can spend that money on jeans with padded jlo behinds lol

1. sofs profile image76
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like curves, can't stand those bean poles even when i was one. Voluptuous is better!!

1. Thunder Vixen profile image63
          Thunder Vixenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yea but a lot of girls who are naturally skinny are curvy...

2. katiem2 profile image60
        katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too I've been a size four most all of my life I just don't gain weight and many people feel I'm to skinny, I've been called skinny and even anorexic (I can't even spell that word). 

It's just mean,

How bout I don't assume everyone who's on the less than thin side eats all the time...

and you don't assume skinny people starve themselves all the time... I'm eating a bag of cheetos right now, A BIG BAG!   big_smile

3. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Crazy to purposely starve?  Yes. 
      Crazy to be thin? No.

I have never intentionally starved a single day in my life, yet am quite thin.  At one time I believed that I would gain (and keep) weight with pregnancy, but after five kids, I am about the same size I was in high school.

Don't assume that every thin girl you see is starving herself!

1. katiem2 profile image60

WOW amazing five kids .... You must be so proud and BUSY!  smile

4. Analog Talk profile image61
      Analog Talkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the media plays a huge role in this desire to be skinny. TV, print, radio, movies -- the thinner ones get the job.

Still, this shouldn't be encouraged. I mean, to paraphrase Lewis Pugh, a made-up mind is unstoppable. Success shouldn't be about how thin or how fat one is, or how tall or how short. It's about how much you want something that gets you to where you want to be. There's proof EVERYWHERE.

5. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why do women thinik it's sexy to be so skinny?

Answer: Skinny? Is subjective and solely based on one person's perception of another. As long as the person is comfortable with their figure and they are also healthy, then it shouldn't make that big of a difference.

The only reason anyone would be dumb enough to starve themselves, so as to be thin or skinny, as you say, is out of complete and sheer stupidity, and laziness.

It takes about 3 days a week, about 30 minutes of working out, to maintain a slim and healthy body. It also helps if people are eating properly.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no, starving yourself is not sexy. some modeling agents almost require it! although that seems to be changing, at least in parts of Europe. anything now can be altered with photoshop. girls look at the magazines..

sexy is a state of mind anyway. being too skinny looks unhealthy but some also just have small frames.

7. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can't be too young, too rich, or too skiny! heehee

2. Choke Frantic profile image68
    Choke Franticposted 13 years ago

Bigger girls FTW. Bones sticking out everywhere is just scary.

3. anniedee profile image63
    anniedeeposted 13 years ago

I can't stand the "real women have curves" mentality. Everyone is fine just the way they naturally are. Yes, overweight people should strive for a healthier weight, but skinny women shouldn't be made to feel inferior just because they're small. I could stand to lose a few pounds, so I'm not just ranting because I feel persecuted. I feel so sad for anyone who is told that they're not okay the way they are.

4. zoey24 profile image76
    zoey24posted 13 years ago

I agree with 'analog Talk' the media does play a huge role in girls wanting to be skinny, because as soon as a celebrity puts on a bit of weight or is seen on the beach looking even slightly bloated, it is printed in every magazine for everyone included the celeb in question to see, it doesnt matter what size you are as long as you are healthy and happy with yourself, people that judge others for their body size are shallow and probably insecure about their own body anyway.

5. profile image0
    manumposted 13 years ago

I think the skinny is surgical which is a lot more scary. Girls might even be getting their armpits removed, so to speak. Perhaps we should look into surgery on offer and stop offering it.

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Thank God I found a man who loves big women! I don't think even my skeleton is skinny! lol

1. katiem2 profile image60

Rock on Habee!  cool

7. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

You know how some people get stuck in an era? Like those big haired fourty-year-olds that think they're still in the 80's?

I'm just stuck in the Baroque Period - when sex-appeal was a bit more meaty! big_smile

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3/catlikeretard/Rubens_Venus_at_a_Mirror_c1615.jpg

8. joeblogs profile image60
    joeblogsposted 13 years ago

<snipped link - do not promote your hubs in the forums>

9. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I just like a woman with a beautiful smile...

and if she MUST have a penis, it has to be smaller than mine

10. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 13 years ago

haha, Greek...

From Oldschool: "Inappropriate...inappropriate."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDkwOqRdiEk

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

your my boy, Blue!

Duuuuuuuuust in the wiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnd....

11. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

I think it is tragic that women think more of the image than  of their health. I am a people watcher, and many times I have watched women pay more attention to other women than the men that are watching them , crazy! Of course men have a there own problems , I know!  But women are so image concience that it actually seems strange to watch. And vanity? Ok I'm shutting up now........

12. profile image0
    JayInKansasposted 13 years ago

I don't why either some women would starve themselves to death just to be thin that's not my preference anyway each it's own ya dig.

13. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 13 years ago

I agree that the whole culture of super skinny celebrities and size zero models has had a huge impact on the way women perceive their own bodies now. I mean, one has only to glance at a fashion magazine or at the top hollywood actresses these days to see that most of them are extremely skinny and only reinforce the concept of 'thin is beautiful'.
    And while being conscious of one's body image is a good thing (eating healthy/regularly exercising), to starve yourself to stay thin is just another extreme - but one that more and more women, especially teenagers are getting sucked into. 

Btw. I must add, that most men I know don't care for that super skinny look; it's more of an obsession with women I think...

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. It's ridiculous! We all need to feel beautiful the way we are, even if that means you have a few extra pounds. So what?!

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

(As long as those few extra pounds ARE NOT A PENIS!!!)

1. profile image0
          klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL You and the penis conversation! Not again!!!

14. gracenotes profile image90
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

It's not so bad to be thin when you are younger.  By the time they're over 50, women tend to look too gaunt and haggard if they're skinny.  The face that lacks enough fat padding just looks older.

Dr. Andrew Weil has concluded it is better to be about 5-10 pounds overweight, and there are some very good reasons for this, especially for females.

15. DreamsInBloom profile image74
    DreamsInBloomposted 13 years ago

Thank you Thunder Vixen for saying, "people can be beautiful with their natural body types" and thank you to everyone else who has said something similar.

Being *healthy* is the key to beauty, and for different people different weights are what is physically healthy for *them.* I remember watching one plus size model talking about how when she weighs a certain amount (about twenty to thirty pounds heavier than what is considered acceptable) she has more energy, stamina, her moods are more stable, etc. But I've also heard the opposite from others who do better physically and emotionally when they are on the thinner side. Physically they are different and thus have different needs in regards to weight.

I am naturally thin and have faced discrimination from other women because of it. I accept people no matter what they are (even if they are morbidly obese) so it would be lovely if they would do the same. Right now because of health reasons I am too thin, and physically I would feel better if I weighed just a bit more. But I accept that I have thin body type (and even except that my being too thin right now is just fine in appearance even if it's not fine in my energy levels) and a woman who has a heavier body type would be better off accepting her body type. It would be great if Men would accept this as well.

Physically healthy is beautiful. And physically healthy encompasses many weights and shapes.

16. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

feeling sexy has nothing to do with your physical size - it has more to do with confidence, self-esteem, and sensory awareness.  Having been both skinny and fat, I can say that it feels best to be slim  - free and confident.  Men make up their own minds about what is sexy in women and women who are trying to please men may SAY that they feel sexier one way or another - but what they are actually doing is trying to be sexy for a man - in my experience that doesn't really work.  If you feel sexy and confident the man will think that too!  I can't say that enough!

17. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 13 years ago

I do not think skinny is sexy, neither do I think fat is sexy. I think in order for a girl to look sexy curves at the right places is helpful apart from confidence.

1. gracenotes profile image90
      gracenotesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Anamika, I think you've got this right.  For the most part, I really like the size I am now.  My lowest body fat percentage in recent years was about 20.5%, and this was in the 1990's.  It's amazing how different you feel about yourself when you are getting close to "buff".  And may I say it's not a particularly feminine feeling.  It depends on your body type.

Laugh if you must, but when I reached that body fat level by working out with weights, I had a hard time sitting down.  I got so lean that I could feel the pelvic bones digging into my flesh. smile It took 6 weeks to get used to that feeling, and I'm not sure I want to go there again, even though, at some subconscious level, I know it would be better for me.  Osteoporosis runs in my family.  It is a grim spectre hanging over my head (and that of my sister's), and working out with weights slows down its development.

OTOH, being 10 pounds overweight at my age, as I said above, wouldn't be bad, for the fact of women having more estrogen stored in fatty tissue that MIGHT help delay osteoporosis.  Perhaps there is a perfect weight to be when you are 50, and I just don't know what it is!

18. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

go to google, click on images

type the letters "h o" and  this is what you will get, as the most searched...

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en& … p;gs_rfai=

women think skinny=hot=wanted=men will have sex with you=they love you.... because it is what they are told, on many many levels, starting at a very young age.

19. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

The thing that bugs me about the whole fat-vs-skinny debate is how it's always about what men like. Who cares what men like? It's obvious that they have different tastes, so there's somebody out there for everybody regardless of weight.

Women should be happy at the weight they feel healthiest and most comfortable with, but instead (in the US) we starve ourselves to fit some ridiculous ideal that most can never hope to achieve, while in places like Mauritania, where bigger really is better, girls are literally force-fed up to 16,000 calories a day until they conform to THAT society's male-defined standard of beauty. Both situations are sick.

/cranky feminist

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ugh.

I have no good answer for that. I always think...who cares what men think? I need to be HEALTHY first....but then ...there I am...doing crunches every time I "feel fat"....

1. lady_love158 profile image60
        lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well it's working for you honey! heehee

1. profile image0
          DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hahaha. Thanks.  smile

20. Sunny Robinson profile image70
    Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years ago

To me, girls starving themselves is sad because that's the portrayal of how they look at themselves.  It's a fact that how they look at themselves influences how they turn off/on other people around them.  And I'm not talking sexually.  I'm talking just confidence, just wanting to be near a confident person.

However, it's not really the size that bothers me.  It's the outlook these girls have when they try to harm themselves.  Otherwise, people of ANY sizes can be gorgeous when they just enjoy themselves.

21. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

because they
    --think they should from dumb magazines
    when in reality men like women who are curvy not like 12 yr old boys (thin as a stick with no curves) as a man once said LOL

22. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Now this is HOT!

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/1969410_f520.jpg

Not too thin, not skinny....just damn right SEXY! lol

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 13 years agoin reply to this

too much clothing if you asked me smile

1. Cagsil profile image70

I'll agree, but if I post anything more revealing the picture might get snipped. sad

1. profile image0

and then banned...not good

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i agree

1. profile image0

hmmm...just realized Alysa Melano ???

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

you talkin to me?
          what?
          she is pretty,yes

1. profile image0

yes...

3. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is why some women are obsessed with being maybe too thin, it is the commodification of woman - this is a 'she is hot' not a thing.

But 'she' is definately HOT for all that smile

I was talking about the picture itself AP. The woman herself doesn't need to be described...her looks do the explaining all by themselves. lol

1. alternate poet profile image67
          alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was just trying to say with the OP - which is WHY some women think they need to look skinny.

It is not how women look, it how they are looked AT - and one way they are looked at is as a commodity.  If you BUY into this then you become a consumer of woman, which is a kind of abuse - ?

Oh okay.

23. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

How about Angelina Jolie?

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/2352629_f260.jpg

She is not too thin or skinny. smile

1. profile image0

how about Kate Beckinsale...

Kate is small to begin with. I don't think she could put weight on. lol

Do you like Pamela Anderson?

I have a hub on her, but I liked her when she was smaller. wink big_smile If you know what I mean. lol

yeah, i know what u mean ha!

My dad wasn't the most educated man I ever knew, but when he told me that anything more than a handful or a mouthful was a waste, I agreed. smile wink

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

did the pic disappear? :?

I didn't post one, but can if you like? lol

2. Cagsil profile image70

Here is a picture of Kate Beckinsale...on the cover of Esquire.

http://tengossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/kate-beckinsale-esquire-cover-november-2009.jpg

yuk! [i like blondes] lol j/k

Sorry, I couldn't post the picture that makes her look best...I would get the picture snipped and possibly myself banned. lol

2. profile image0

did someone call blondpoet?

Now there is a healthy and very beautiful woman. lol Again, I didn't call her either. She is not too thin or skinny either. wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)