What is common sense?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

What is common sense?

Is it a peculiarity of the Atheists Agnostics only?

Is it their genuine claim? Please

Thanks

1. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is common sense?

Common sense is that rule of judgment one learns from elders and actual experiences in life in order to stay healthy and live a long enjoyable life.

Common sense is that judgment one uses to get out of bed with in the morning by putting forth his/her feet first instead of his/her head first.

Common sense is that judgment one uses to eat edible food instead of spoiled food for obvious reasons.

Common sense is that sense of behavior one cultivates to know what is possible and what is not possible.

Common sense is that natural sense of behavior one cultivates in this life to ward off supernatural beliefs and senseless religious myths.

1. profile image52
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand your points; I have revised one of them a little, omitted from the above, as follows:

Common sense is that natural sense of behavior one cultivates in this life to ward off supernatural beliefs and senseless non-religious myths.

I observe in these forums persons, they oppose religion, yet they are superstitious.

1. Pcunix profile image90
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I cannot imagine what warped definition of "superstitious" leads you to that.

1. profile image52

I observe many non-religious people here who oppose religion on common sense and science; yet they believe in magic, ghosts, demons, zodiac signs, succubus etc; all "superstitious" stuff which is against the common sense and science.

1. Pcunix profile image90
              Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You may be seeing  someone who simply dislikes organized religion and you are thinking they are an atheist.  I have seen that, yes.

2. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you have to ask then you don't have it and no amount of explanation will help you big_smile

1. profile image52

And those who claim that they have much of it; do they really have it?

1. Beelzedad profile image58
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If no amount of explanation will help you understand what common sense is, no amount of exhibiting or pointing out common sense will convince you of that either. smile

3. jay_kumar_07 profile image59
      jay_kumar_07posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi

Percentage of known factor .
      jay.

2. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

not going to a serious note i can say common sense is a sense that is very much uncommon to the common people

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol Good one!

3. TruthDebater profile image52
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

I think common sense may be developing an intuition about things independently without needing them explained by others to figure out.

4. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Common sense is that which is missing in religionists circular logic. smile

5. Cleanclover profile image40
    Cleancloverposted 13 years ago

Common sense is the sense which is very much uncommon.

6. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

common sense = don't needle unbelievers on the forums

7. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

I think that most people use a combination of common sense, intuition, and superstition in their daily lives.  A life too firmly grounded in the mundane would be very boring and colourless and a life too off with the fairies would probably not be very productive.

I am one of those people who is not keen on organised religion and what it is doing to people, but I still have spiritual beliefs, read my horoscope etc.

1. profile image52

I don't mind; it is your own life.

8. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

There are some friends here , not religious, who claim they have more common sense than others; while the common sense is just common to everybody whether one is religious or not.

I don't think common sense is a function of Atheism Skepticism Agnosticism and othrs are devoid of that. Do you agree?

How could the common sense be measured?

9. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Common sense is a sense of behavior known (common) to a majority of the population.

Common sense prevails whenever someone approaches a Yield Sign and comes to a complete stop because there are vehicles going by on the other street of the intersection which was approached.  Someone with no common sense would keep going and cause an accident.

10. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

I have to agree wih alternate poet, if you have to ask , you can't imagine the answer. Common Sense is on the verge of extinction , the masses have withdrawn from it like a  a rat  born plague .....dropped it like cheap prom dress , Intellectual liberalism has attacked it like a pitbull on steroids.

1. profile image56
      exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with that 100%

11. mod2vint profile image60
    mod2vintposted 13 years ago

common sense =  Sound judgment not based on specialized knowledge.

1. profile image56
      exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

common sense, when you feel the power of God take control of your tongue, or take control of your feet and you start dancing in the spirit, when you hear His voice, common sense is you know there is a Mighty God, and He loves you very much

2. profile image52

Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)