Long Forum Posts

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (25 posts)
  1. A la carte profile image59
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

I just wonder why some people put up forum posts which are longer than my hubs.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm guilty of that.  I just like being thorough.   lol   lol

In all seriousness, sometimes the topic will kind of seem like it's worthy of discussion; so I'll just write what I might say to someone if I were with him and having a "talking" conversation.   It's amazing how much five minutes' worth of "talking" looks like in writing.    smile   I often feel kind of embarrassed once I end up with a long post, but I just figured people and (and will) skip over it if they aren't looking for "discussions".    smile

A la carteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Funnily enough was not referring to replies which can have merit but was more thinking about the initial forum post and wondering why some have to be so long winded..and certainly not thinking of you smile

1. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think I know who you're thinking of lol lol

2. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you mean starting a new thread with a long forum post, it's usually because the person has misunderstood how HubPages works.

You'd be surprised the number of people who sign up and think that creating a Hub means creating a thread on the forum.

If I notice someone like that, I'll usually post and ask them if they understand they won't make any money on the forums and they should transfer their post to a Hub.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...unless it's in the religious forum. smile

2. bayoulady profile image68
    bayouladyposted 13 years ago

Sometimes I'm guilty of that.............but I can't give you a reason why. I usually don't realize how long it is 'til I submit. As long as a hub...maybe...ha!Just thought of something. Maybe some of us could save ourselves some work and copy /paste our replies and make a hub...hummmmmm. Uh-oh...I'm doing it again..(making my post long!lol!) big_smile

I've often considered that, but the "longies" tend to make specific, thread-related, references that kind of make them not lend themselves to being Hubs very well.

(Sometimes I make it a point to find threads that invite a one-liner answer - just to try to "balance out" some of those "longies" I do.    lol

A la carte, I do know what you mean about those original posts/threads that read like a speech (or something).   (I'm not guilty of that.  I'm only long-winded when replying.   smile  )   (I didn't particularly think you were referring to me, but I'm pretty self-conscious about how often I do "longies" on here.   lol  )

I was not referring to anyone in particular smile

3. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

what's wrong with long forum posts?  just for that, im going to post a long one just to spite this forum. lollollol  okay here it goes, i'll tell you what grinds my gears in reference to a family guy episode.

stupid morons that yell in theaters.  seriously, there's more people in the damn theater than yourselves that like watching movies.  if you can't sit there for a couple of hours and shut up, then you need to leave and not spoil it for the rest of us.

what really grinds my gears is those damn answering machines that put you one hold for like FOREVER.  Then when you finally do get a hold of someone, the person is rude to you and puts you on hold...AGAIN.

Another thing that grinds my gears is that I like to often put up hypothetical questions in forums, for laughs and kicks.  However, now some hubbers are saying that there is no such thing as a hypothetical question and that if the person asking that question, then the questioner experienced that same scenario.  Which is a load of bull, as i always base hypothetical questions off movies and events that happened to friends of mine in the past.  However, in light of this, I will start to ask hypothetical questions that are damn near impossible to happen in real life now in light of this.  lollol  such questions like if you were spock serving on the U.S.S. enterprise and you KNOW your the smartest and strongest person on that ship, then why the hell do you follow and take orders from a reckless half wit like Captain Kirk?   Seriously, Spock is the smartest and strongest person on the original series, yet he's only SECOND in command....highly illogical if you ask me.  Therefore, hypothetically speaking what would you do if you were spock?  Would you continue serving under kirk, or would you call mutiny to get that unqualified b***ard off the bridge of the ship!

Oh another hypothetical question I want to ask is about Superman Returns.  Anyone remember the Richard guy that Lois Lane hooked up with after Superman left for years to visit his home planet?  Well I do.  Let's pretend for a moment, your superman and you love lois lane with all your heart and soul.  yet she's with this richard guy that you know you can snap like a freaking twig anytime you wanted to.  after all, your superman, so who's going to stop you?  therefore, what would you do if your superman?  would you snap the guy's neck and dispose of the evidence?  Or would you just do the very "supermanish" thing to do and just do the right thing...as in let it go.  After all, superman knows the world needs him too much than to ever take a break from it to dwell on his emotions for long.  Or if you don't like any of those answers, then what would YOU do if you were superman?"

Anyways, im sorry a la carte, as i know you probably didn't want a long post in this forum, but i'm feeling a bit rebellious tonight, so...there. wink

1. Lifeallstar1 profile image60
      Lifeallstar1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Decaf!! big_smile

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL

2. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

decaf? I don't need no stinking decaf! lollollol

2. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well done, Steven!

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks lorlie. big_smile

3. A la carte profile image59

I raised the question...had no intentions of wanting to limit replies lol

4. Polly C profile image91
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

I'm sometimes guilty of that as well, and also for leaving comments on hubs that can almost be rewritten as a hub themselves!

I only do it if it's a subject I suddenly find I have a lot to say about, and I don't think much about it or spend a long time over it, it just seems to happen!

I love it when people post long discussions on my Hubs.  It really does add to the discussion, especially if what they say means I see a reason to respond.  I've seen people who apparently don't like the long comments on their hubs.  Once I saw someone say, "Write your own damn Hub."  (not to me, but when talking about long comments  lol). 

Well, maybe I love it because it helps me see that I'm not the only one who does it sometimes.   lol

5. Polly C profile image91
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

But I never  start off a forum thread like that, in fact I have never started one at all.

6. bayoulady profile image68
    bayouladyposted 13 years ago

I love long comments on my hubs, and even on forums..IF it's not just repeating the same thing over and over.

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Long forum posts are something I enjoy posting and have no real reason for them except to make sure that I make myself clear.

If my post isn't clear, then it is apparent that the person who responds to it, didn't bother to read the entire post. Which is nothing new for most people online considering many people who are online have a short attention span and only skim over long amounts of text.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I guess some people have a lot to say. I try not to post long posts, because I know I don't read long posts. lol

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

for me, it's more time management than lack of interest or attention span. the forums can end up eating a lot of valuable time.

10. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

There's a difference between a poster who includes facts and evidenceto back up his/her point/argument and a poster who blathers on incoherently.
    Sometimes, the more passionate we are about a topic the more we tend to "overwrite."
    I admire those hubbers who have mastered the art of the one-liner and/or the "one picture is worth a 1,000 words" zingers!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)