What was your most humble moment?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Tom Cornett profile image79
    Tom Cornettposted 13 years ago

The dog woke me up one night....growling and barking.  I called the dog an idiot and told her to lay down and be quiet.  She did as I commanded. smile

The next morning...I discovered our car had been broken into.  A number of items including my billfold I had left in the glove box was stolen.  The dog was barking at a thief.yikes

I had to go back in and face the dog. As I apologized to the dog...she of course wagged her tail because I was softly speaking to her. I could almost swear...she gave me a look that meant,"Idiot!" hmm

1. libby101a profile image59
      libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's cute! It's funny that our dogs are so smart and we are so stupid that we don't listen sometimes!

2. Claudin_Dayo profile image59
      Claudin_Dayoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ahahaha that's humurous smile you're dog is really smart though big_smile she really loved you.

2. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

lol...naw, sweetie--Beffy loved you, you know that! big_smile

I guess no one else has any humble moments to speak of tonight???

Okay...let's just go watch "Sharktopus", wadda ya say???

lol  lol  lol

Tom Cornettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sharktopus it is!  smile

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

u 2 have fun...i'll think about one for you!

2. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What Interesting Courtship Rituals hmm

I feel like a Joe Cocker song is about to occur yikes lol

1. alternate poet profile image68
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Would that be a Joe Cocker Spaniel song ?

1. Pearldiver profile image66
          Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How clever of you to pick up on that smile

I believe the track - "After the burglar has gone" is in order smile

Oh yeah - and if my memory was working I would find another line.  Damn - my computer is too slow to go look easy but I am sure you can 'lead' us on to another one with your 'dogged' approach. big_smile

3. alternate poet profile image68
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Just the latest in a long line of humbling experiences is - how after 30 odd years married, then 7 years kinda married, that a 25 year old immensely pretty girl, half my size and education, can show and tell me more about how to do relationships in one sentence - every time.

well AP...glad you found some peace and happiness!

Well - you were all dressed up in leathers which does not turn me on, and you were out on the road somewhere when I went by I guess big_smile

smile.....smile

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love "show and tell".   smile  Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

(You sound very happy.  Congrats!)

Yep - the showing, never mind the telling, is enough on its own  big_smile

After a life of being happy despite being in a relationship where neither of us had any 'relationship' skills, and still happy despite being economically ground down, and still happy despite the stunning boredom - I have fixed them all and now have everything - shame I have not got longer to enjoy it all, but living for the day does wonders for that small drawback big_smile

1. KCC Big Country profile image85

Figuring out how it all "works" sometimes takes time, some never figure it out.  I'm a firm believer that we often have to experience some things in order to properly appreciate the really good things when they come along.  Today is all we really have.  Making the most of it is a wise choice.

4. KristenGrace profile image60
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

When I worked as a 6th grade teacher, I took my Math class to the computer lab once each week for about thirty minutes.
    One day, I forgot there was going to be a fire drill and left my attendance book back in the classroom on the other end of the building.
    When the alarm went off, I actually paused and said aloud, "Wait, I don't have my attendance... Do you think that matters?"
    A sixth grader placed his hand on my shoulder and said, "I'm pretty sure if the building was actually burning down, nobody would care."

5. mythbuster profile image72
    mythbusterposted 13 years ago

When my son turned tables on me when he was 6 and became a parent for a few moments...

I had been diagnosed with panic disorder but hadn't received much information yet from my doctor on techniques to get anxiety under control. I tend to become "situational-phobic" at times of high anxiety and suddenly fear bugs and creepy crawlies for not very logical reasons...

My son became a parent during a particularly non-sensical bout of phobia and helped with desensitization exercises, taking me by the hand - out to our yard, was ever so patient with me like none of the adults around me were at the time...

Because of my son's patience (nobody taught him this, he just thought of all this himself), I got to a point where he was able to get me to actually sit on the ground (aaaaaack there are bugs in the grass, right? worms in the ground, right?).

Finally, he put an earthworm in my hand and wanted me to hold it just for ONE minute to prove that nothing is scary about a worm lol... he took the worm away 3 times 'cos I was going to freak out but the last time, I held the thing for a whole minute...

It was so humbling for my son to say, "I'm so proud of you. I'm putting one of my stickers on the fridge so you can look at it and remember we did this and you were so brave today." So patient and sincere and he had little tears in his eyes...

lol

My son was a darn good dad at age 6!

Now you have brought a tear to my eye !

2. KCC Big Country profile image85

What a great story! Thanks for sharing that!

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

...ditto!

4. fayehelen profile image58
      fayehelenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that's a gorgeous story!

6. bayoulady profile image68
    bayouladyposted 13 years ago

When I wanted a child  and was told I was unable to concieve. I have one birth child and two children I adopted as babies.Their ages are 43,33, and 30. I have five grandchildren. I am humbled and blessed beyond describing .Humbled by the joy my family has given me! CORNY??????Maybe, but TRUE!

no...not corny...beautiful!

1. bayoulady profile image68
        bayouladyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks,somewayouttahere!

2. mythbuster profile image72
      mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If this is corny, it's waaaaaaaaaaaay awesome, anyway!

I like it... thx for sharing

7. profile image0
    Several Ninjasposted 13 years ago

my most humble moment was admiting to be just your normal average everyday guy. of course i'm not, but chicks lap that stuff up. if you can fake sincerity youve got it made.

you're a bad boy!....and deserve a spanking!  big time!

8. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

this was hard for me to answer.

because I pity myself alot

But seeing a video of a man with no arms and legs who got over his 'stuff' and became a really happy (handsome too) man
    who became a motivational speaker was so cool and made me cry a little= it was so moving and beautiful and made me not feel sorry for myself that moment.

1. fayehelen profile image58
      fayehelenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think I saw a programme about him - it made it cry too. So inspirational.

9. Tom Cornett profile image79
    Tom Cornettposted 13 years ago

Read some wonderful posts here...this morning....but now I'm wondering what "Joe Cocker Spaniel" would sound like? smile

The movie "Sharktopus" was really stupid except the part where a skinny girl gets swallowed whole by the sharktopus while bungee jumping over the river. lol

1. TamCor profile image81
      TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Awww, come on Tom--You know that the stupider the movie is, the more you(and I) enjoy it, hahaha....what fun would watching B movies be if they WEREN'T stupid????

lol lol lol

Tom Cornettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah...the dumber the better!  Same way in music...like Neil Cubic Zirconium.  smile

That's MR. Cubic Zirconium to you... lol

10. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

ha ha Tom and Tammy!  B movies wouldn't around if it weren't for people like us!!!

Now, on a serious note....

My most humbling moment has been with each one of the births of my children.  I realize what a miracle life is.  However, the incident that tops my list of most humbling experiences is when my son died.  He held my hand and looked into my eyes and with a soft voice he spoke to me of words of comfort.  He comforted me as he passed on when all I could do was hold him and show him my love for him and could only whisper to him that I loved him. He found the courage and strength to help me through.   

In the deepest depths of our souls, we reach out to those who love us and bridge the gap so that pain is lessened with love. He taught me that lesson.  There isn't a thing that I wouldn't do for my loved ones.

Oh, Beth...I'm so sorry...we must've cross-posted...

I'm so sorry for your loss, I had no idea... sad

2. mythbuster profile image72

*hugs* 4 Beth100

11. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

@ Tammy -- thanks, and I hope what I wrote doesn't bring the mood down in this thread.  Great thread!

@ Mythbuster -- thank you.  You've always been wonderful.  How are you?

1. mythbuster profile image72

I'm well, Beth100 - thx for asking.

Sometimes I think what I am about to say isn't going to come out right so I just give out a *hug*

lol

saves some embarrassment sometimes but, I think, still gets something across...

smile

I hope you're doing well, too.

12. Maria Cecilia profile image83
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

I have plenty but this one is unforgettable, came a point in my life when I was so down in all aspects, mom just died, bf broke up with me, bad office relationship, and at home I was all alone, the relatives at the other half of the duplex were out, I was thinking of ending my life and join my parents in the other world, then my two dogs who disliked each other went up to me on my bed and hugged and kissed me as if they want to sympathize with me.... all of the sudden I felt guilty, two lives defending on me will be ruined because of my weakness, and it revived me like magic... I am now a happier person, and my love for my dogs made me feel like I have achieved the greatest wealth here on earth... they are my angels in disguise that God sent me..

13. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 13 years ago

My most humbling moment recently was when a friend told me that he may be at the end of his journey and refuses to talk to me , or take any help... I just poured out my pain..in one of my hubs that was all I could do to reach him, but it is still an aching hole inside of me!!! May be I could help, by just being there and but he will accept nothing from me... how useless I feel!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)