who is your favorite author and his/her best work?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (26 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

who is your favorite author ..please write something about his/her writing style and what according to you is his/her best work?

1. eslevy17 profile image60
      eslevy17posted 13 years agoin reply to this

A few favorites...
      Haruki Murakami - combines surreal elements with melancholy, depressing themes rooted in modern Japanese society. "Norwegian Wood" is one of the most painful love stories I've read.
      Milan Kundera - alternates between regular narrative and deliberate social commentary. Has an interesting insight into the human condition every two pages.
      Gabriel Garcia Marquez - powerful imagery, complex writing. great stuff that I'll readily admit sometimes goes over my head. Hard to describe him, but read up on 100 Years of Solitude if you haven't yet.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

My -latest- favourite would have to be A La Carte.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Venus-rules-or-is-it-Mars

Very unique writing style that often surprises...

3. Benjimester profile image87
    Benjimesterposted 13 years ago

Are you talking in general or favorite author here on HP?

4. PurpleOne profile image80
    PurpleOneposted 13 years ago

Isabella Snow can make even the driest of subjects entertaining.

5. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Edith Wharton. Novel: The Age of Innocence.

Nobody can write like she could.  Her ability to imbue simple descriptions with meaning, to have every word doing so much more than just a one thing.  Her dialogue is so spot on for each character, making each so uniquely alive it seems impossible that one person could understand so many human types that well.  She writes about stuff I don't even care about, but the beauty and mastery of craft are so jaw dropping you end up caring anyway. It's amazing. 

Any creative writer, any writer really, who is trying to learn how to write well should read her and study, carefully and slowly, how she composes sentences and uses diction.  She is a graduate program unto herself.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, she was brilliant and quite the dramatic ironist also.
      I'm pretty certain she won the first Pulitzer Prize for literature (for a woman) with The Age of Innocence.

you might be interested in the Edith Wharton Society.

6. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

See, I'd assume that it meant someone on hubpages, due to the fact that it was (originally) posted in the hubber's hangout.

OH and I think my all round favourite might just be Shadesbreath. Don't tell him though...

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I happen to have it on good authority the person you have named makes up facts and steals articles from small children.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That bastard! I was trying to tell everyone that my ten month old daughter is a prodigy since she already wrote her first poem. It was something along the lines of :

da da
        ma ma
        bu bu
        da da

However I couldn't find it anywhere. If it shows up in his work I'll just be so cranky!

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
          Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I'm taking that.  Sorry.

I may do that.  I've heard someone else mention it too.  I'm going to check it out. Be great if somehow you get some of her magic to rub off, eh?

7. Alien invasion profile image59
    Alien invasionposted 13 years ago

H.P. Lovecraft. Bloodcurdling tales of horror and the mcabre.

8. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 13 years ago

I like Maita aka prettydarkhorse.  She always makes me hungry.

9. Medora Trevilian profile image60
    Medora Trevilianposted 13 years ago

George Gordon, Lord Byron.

WHEN we two parted    
      In silence and tears,    
    Half broken-hearted    
      To sever for years,    
    Pale grew thy cheek and cold,            
      Colder thy kiss;    
    Truly that hour foretold    
      Sorrow to this.

Can you imagine any modern day persons parting in silence and tears?

1. Joe Badtoe profile image60
      Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How about a mute with sealed tear ducts? :-)

Byron was probably the first rock star poet given his rebellious nature and interest in hallucinogenic drugs.

1. Medora Trevilian profile image60
        Medora Trevilianposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps. But have you read his poetry?

I have he was a bit of a soppy romantic at heart. Not as soft and mushy as Wordsworth though. I didn't like his work at all.

Byron and Shelley were hellraisers in their time which I sort of admired. I liked the fact that Byron helped fight for Greek independence inbetween excesses of drink and drugs.

'mad bad and dangerous to know'  Sounds like a good tattoo to me.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

one of my favorite verses of any poem, ever.

SHE walks in beauty, like the night
      Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
      And all that's best of dark and bright
      Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
      Thus mellow'd to that tender light
      Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

from She Walks in Beauty

1. Medora Trevilian profile image60
        Medora Trevilianposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes. I love that one also!

10. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Tolstoy
    http://www.nndb.com/people/817/000024745/leo-tolstoy.jpg

War and Peace
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6WRcJM7SGZY/S8SIsabXMaI/AAAAAAAAB6k/bXH8e_xDYV4/s1600/war-peace.jpg

I also like his less popular work: "Shaving for Dummies"

11. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Might have said Milan Kundera, but has been said already.

Herman Hesse - Magister Ludi

or

Jonathan Safran Foer - Everything Is Illuminated

12. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I am and always have been a sucker for Fitzgerald -- as a writer and as an alcoholic! "The Great Gatsby" is my favorite, because it juxtaposes the decadence and debauchery of the roaring 20s with a heartwrenching/sordid/pedestrian tragedy.
    I also love it because East Egg/West Egg = where I grew up on Long Island!
    Not the most defensible choice, I know.
    But I figured it was better than Danielle Steele!*

*Truth be told I have never read any Danielle Steele big_smile

Mighty Mom

You don't need to read Danielle Steel I find the front cover is enough when throwing a passing glance at her books that are neatly stacked in the bargain bin.

I lked the correspondence letters between Fitzgerald and Hemingway painted a good picture.of their times.

13. profile image0
    arrowsparrowposted 13 years ago

John Green! YA fiction is sort of underrated, as if because the target audience is youth it obvious isn't up to the standard of literature. Green disproves that notion entirely and I'm fairly certain he is completely unaware of how well written he's books really are. Looking for Alaska might be his best work so far.

Virginia Woolf and Orlando would be my number two for sure and then maybe Chuck Palahnuik and Fight Club.

After that I'm  not sure... for all I know I haven't even encountered my favorite author yet.

14. freetowrite profile image69
    freetowriteposted 13 years ago

Clive Barker, Books of Blood.

15. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Paulo Coelho -
    'The Alchemist' and 'By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept'

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)