Make God your Chief Financial Adviser... Sounds Looney, but is it????

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jgrimes331posted 15 years ago

Have you ever turned to your bible for financial advice?  Why not?  Do you only use the Holy Bible a as 'in need crisis' basis?  The same way someone dying of cancer might need?  Why is that?  I find that it has never occurred to most people to turn to the Holy Bible for needed financial advice, know-how's and knowledge.  It is a known fact that God left this advice for  anyone (willing to read) to be a successful Investor and a smarter Businessman.  He speaks clearly about Debt and Taxes, Cost/Sell Ratio's,  Supply and Demand, Interest-bearing Loans and when and how to Re-invest your savings.  It is all right there, in clear lay-man terms.  All you need to do is look for it.  If I can assist you in finding what you need to know, I am here to help.  It may not be too late...  nobody wants to see foreclosures all over the place.  So stop the madness, and make better choices in choosing your Financial Adviser.   Thanks Everyone!  Julie

1. sylvana profile image60
      sylvanaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Umm...I'm a bit gobsmacked. Close it! Close it!

2. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

You mean like Dave Ramsey? I think you can follow those general principals without all the religion thrown in. smile

3. profile image0

Oh, my bad... But I don't believe I said to bow your head & pray...  No, I can't find those words anywhere.

Okay Ladies, I do see the clever point you were trying to make.  So for your sake, if it makes you feel better, change God's name to John Doe Lynch.  My point here was & is; if you have questions or concerns about your financial well-being, and need advice-  I know a book that spells out the ABC's of economics and financial investments, real clear and simple like.  God happens to be the narrartor in this book, and the name of the book is the Holy Bible.  Those are two facts, I have no control over; but do, highly recommend looking into for some exceptional tips. 

The BIBLE is ONLY a BOOK!!!  Hello!!!  Censor yourself on the reading materials you choose to read.  But leave out the wise cracks on which books or what book is selected to read.  So what if it's a religious book.  That still doesn't change the fact it has really good, sound financial advice???  No, so back off the materials chosen and read the advice for yourself.  Then pass your judgements.  But comments are a waste of time, when they serve no purpose but to trash talk.  I personally feel for the people in America who are losing everything.  If the book I suggested offers them a better and smarter way to secure their livilihood, who are you to be GODSMACKED by that.  I can't stand people who judges a book by it's cover.  I have no tolerance for ignorance and quick judgments.  When you've lost everything you've worked so hard in having, what purpose does a ignorant comment or a quick judgment make?  Man, they make no difference; but they sure do waste peoples precious time... I personally am not for censorship.  I am all about gathering knowledge, helping my fellow man, staying financially comfortable and living life to the fullest.  I look out upon America today and I think privately to myself, "what CRISIS?"  My stocks have surged.  In one week alone I made $60,000.00 off of one stock and it ain't in oil. 

So....I think the key to being a smart investor, requires many different sources, many different types of reading materials, and being open to new sources that offer tips and advice.  Why don't you take God's name out the bible, pretend it's name is "Secret Sources to Wealth" and look at the advice I gave above, as a possible way to a secure future and comfortable retirement! 

I have no control over who is or is not the narrator of a BOOK, and I certainly have no control of his name.  If the being, who is giving the advice in bible name was Jeff Tudas, then I'd say open this book known as the Bible, and choose Jeff Tudas as your financial adviser. 

Farsightedness is not a virtue one should have when working with investments, especially their own.  You can find that advice from Julie Grimes.

4. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

First for me - the bible as financial adviser.
    “Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s”.
    "Wealth is of no profit in the day of wrath, but righteousness keeps a man safe from death."
    Would think if the bible were truly the way to money, its converts would be 90% of the world.

1. profile image0
      jgrimes331posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Touche...

But the passage in which you tried to quote and were referring too, is about taxes.  Christ's disciples asked if it was fair to pay taxes to Rome.  Well the simple answer of it was, YES!  Rome's government had power over the land, so Christ said pay them to Rome.  Pretty sound advice to live by, wouldn't you say?  Maybe if more people pd their taxes, less houses would be sold on the courthouse steps.  Thanks for at least trying to take the book seriously. 

When and where did I mention anything about the "Wrath of God".  Again, I didn't find those words up there in my original post.  So.....?  Where did that come from?  I thought you were a Zen Atheist?  Maybe you should stick to a principle in which you are clearly familiar with and lets us Christians worry about Wrath, and who is 'Wrathing' who.  God's Wrath, too funny... Thanks for the laugh.

5. WHoArtNow profile image83
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

Sounds looney

1. profile image0

Yeah; but???  Have you tried it??? 

Guess not.  You know there are a lot of things out there that sound looney.  Take for instance the tribe in New Guinna(sp) that boils the brain of a fallen warrior or wise man, for consumption so that they themselves become stronger and smarter.  Now I've never tried that.  I don't plan too.  I have very specific reasons why I think eating someones' brain is looney.  What's your excuse?

6. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

Not sure Christ or God would make much of a financial officer:

"But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on."

and

"Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?

And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.

For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.

But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

1. profile image0

Hey, as a teacher of World Religion and a Philosopher, I appreciate the Sunday School lesson.  But what does that have to do with finances?  Also, I very kindly ask that when you do quote scripture, explain yourself, explain the scripture, explain as to what the verse was referring too- otherwise, you're quoting scripture just to quote scripture.  That's all fine and well but what's the point?  If you needed to build up your ego, well that's okay too.

People, if you can't separate "God", "Religion", "Beliefs" from good sound advice... that's YOUR problem.  More like a personal problem.  But hey, I'm making good money, I'm receiving dividend checks, 2,3x's a week.  I own two 4,500sqft homes free and clear, I don't owe any back taxes, my paycheck goes to organizations like the Humane Society, Youth Football and other Sports, My husband and I support one elderly woman who's not related to us, and we help support a impoverished family of 10.  I am so blessed.  I am living the life that my higher power offered me and I am living it to the fullest!  I don't take vacations, I don't have fancy cars, or closets full of clothes.  I can't afford that.  I shop at Good Will!  I discovered a while back that the money I was investing into the stock market wasn't living up to the bargain of making good money.  So after reading many of my husbands financial books, I decided to read the bible.  I found information in that book with all sorts of good sound solid advice.  Investing in the private sectors, not oil.  Invest in discovery, in original good ideas.  That is the kind of advice God gives.  Stay away from pagan corporations.  Well to me pagan means many hands in the pot, many people and CEO's.  Corporations with no family ties, or Corporations that don't advance their technologies, side stepping taxes and offering corporate vacations and cruises.  That is what I gathered from the word Pagan.  Come on, I didn't say it was going to be easy to find the advice.  I said I'd help you with it.  But if you can't pass your nose, and think outside the box- YEAH the bible might not be the book for you...

Remember this though, please;  Don't quote scripture unless you can explain it, explain it's reference and explain your opinion on it.  It is worthless information if you don't!!!!!!!!

1. LondonGirl profile image81
        LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

"Hey, as a teacher of World Religion and a Philosopher, I appreciate the Sunday School lesson.  But what does that have to do with finances?  Also, I very kindly ask that when you do quote scripture, explain yourself, explain the scripture, explain as to what the verse was referring too- otherwise, you're quoting scripture just to quote scripture.  That's all fine and well but what's the point?  If you needed to build up your ego, well that's okay too."

Why teh aggression and sarcasm?

1. profile image0

I can't help how you feel.  Or how something might sound to you in your mind.  That's your problem.  I have no aggression, I feel no aggression, as for sarcasm...  here's one for ya, I have a very dry sense of humor.  I have a short attention span to people yapping just to yap.  I find it terribly rude to quote scripture and not explain what it is about, to what was it referring too and one's opinion about that. 

You know, I betcha when you step on a hot piece of bubble gum, you don't stand there and say,"Oh wasn't that fun". 

Trying checking your aggression and attitude at the door, and look inside the message instead of outside.  Aggression...  what people will say when they just been schooled. lol  See with my sense of humor, I find that too be really funny!  And what the hell does teh mean?  lol, oh I just laugh again.  Sorry, but your funny.

1. LondonGirl profile image81
            LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't seem rude to me. I'm crediting people with the ability to read all on their own.

The above passages are pretty obvious. Sell all you own, give alms, don't plan ahead, God will feed and clothe you.

Not really financial advice many companies would follow.

7. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Isn't there a way to take the (any) advice or knowledge or wisdom that is there (in other words, not be so literal in thinking on either 'side') and put it all in the proper perspective?

Reading anything, it is a matter of understanding the source, the perspective and the context of said source.

It's becoming more and more clear to me that differences in religion and politics, etc., very much hinge on a sort of critical thinking skill set that not even education (though it helps) can guarantee.

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes there is a way to do that. Don't use credit, don't charge interest, pay your taxes, be considerate of others.

There, I did it in a sentence and never had to say the 'G' word once.

But that's no fun, is it? big_smile

8. profile image0

Julie, lol--

You live in MO, it's a whole different ball of wax. I look to invest there, too.

Care to share any investment advice?

I do believe sound principles (many found in various religions) always make the best (and most profitable in an honest, long term way--otherwise, you are basically just ripping people off and calling it OK legally) business sense.

1. profile image0

Yeah, just email me @ julie@onebrowncompany.com, and I'll help you out.  No problem...  I love my investments.  Everyday I think privately to myself, what financial crisis?  I feel very fortunate (literally) for stumbling onto God's advice.  Thanks!

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Cool!  Really....I just may.  Thanks!

1. profile image0

Please do...  A lot of people here aren't interested in facts and advice. So  I'd be glad to help and steer you in the right direction.  That way you can refer to it(advice) time to time. 

I will say Inland.  It is a family owned company.  They are in the private sector.  They promote retail, office space, fitness centers all kinds of good stuff.  They are into buying out old strip malls, remodeling them so they look great for a community.  Then they sell  to other mom and pop businesses, good sound financially responsible businesses to occupy their mall.  Now imagine this, buying and selling strip malls that are mostly retail based stores, continuing to show a profit, they send us monthly dividend checks, all by keeping their own overhead low.  How did I find this company?  Well I applied the advice I got from the bible, did my homework and bam!  Nothing but good things are coming my way.  I wouldn't be able to provide for so many, if it wasn't for God's Advice.  It doesn't get any plainer than that.  Email me, and I'll hook you up.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
            Ralph Deedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Please let us know when the stock market hits bottom!

1. profile image0

Oh, yeah, and Ralph here is the "Warren Buffett" of hubpages, smile.  But then he strikes me as a guy of principle, too....

2. profile image0

Sir, I am not a prophet.  Just a wealthy investor that came from rags.

9. profile image0

LondonGirl IS from a different culture--for one, even if she is educated and we as Americans share a language and in general many things.....

Just thought I'd point that out.

Also, in AZ, 4,500 square foot homes are likely to be in the million to multi-million dollar range.  It's a different economy from where you are, ie.

smile  OK...  Blessed are the peacemakers? smile

10. profile image0

Julie--

Yes, that sounds like a good idea--there were so many strip malls going empty when I lived in Iowa City, IA and everyone was interested in keeping things local and vital....  smile  I will e-mail you.  I've got some design work to do today....

And hey, listen--I've been watching this cast of characters here at Hubpages for a while now, lol, and I will tell you that LondonGirl here is a good girl--she just reads things very quickly from one hub and post to another and makes quick comments all the time.  I think any 'mis-takes' are likely about that.  Also think she's here kinda socially, really, rather than to discuss much.

Mark Knowles also came on with me kind of strongly, too--LOL, when I was talking about mythos and religions from different cultures (ie, Joseph Campbell) and writing a master's thesis on it!  We have quite a few, I'd say, religious nut cases here (which is obviously different from other people of faith) and they will debate endlessly and circuitously.  I think Mark became cynical somewhere down the line and just assumes everybody who says anything about 'God' is of this camp.  He's really OK, but maybe, smile, it takes a while to see this.  I know it did me....

11. profile image0

Yeah, Pam, smile

But I think I'm going to check out Inland, nonetheless...

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Many credit Judaeo-Christian values/morality (as in the Protestant work ethic) with individual economic success and that of Western countires--hard work, honesty, thrift, etc.

1. profile image0

Agree, Ralph, smile.  Part of our make up culturally, in spite--or despite--the mention of the word 'God.'

You can also look into other religious traditions and find mirrors into values and mores there--as well, heck--as fairy tales.  Try reading much, frankly, without mention of religion in some context.  This is why it doesn't 'scare' me.  I can separate the wheat from the chaff.

12. profile image0

Lita, Inland is a real estate company.  I will tell you that there is a $10,000.00 buy in.  The company is privately own and operated.  I do believe that within two years they are planning to go public.  But if you are able to buy in now, your stock will split and your earnings will be better for it.  I been invested with the company for 3 yrs now.

Thanks,
    Julie Grimes

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)