How much do you guys write?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Cordale profile image71
    Cordaleposted 13 years ago

I have recently come to a conclusion that if I want to make a lot of money on Hubpages I need to start writing more consistently. Therefore I pose the question.. How much do you guys write? For those who write a lot how do you do it? Do you have a plan?

Thanks,
    Cordale

2. b. Malin profile image68
    b. Malinposted 13 years ago

Let me first say...I didn't get involved in the money end...I just wanted to put my Hubs out there. 
    As a writer...since I was six...something is always dancing around in my head waiting to be said.
    For you, surely things happen every day...listen and put your thoughts into it...eventually it starts to come naturally...good luck!

3. GmaGoldie profile image82
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

Great post.  I have watched this question closely on LinkedIn.  Regular posting is the key. 

The main thing is to enjoy it.  If you are tired or forced, your writing will show it.

I keep several different topics in the wings.  I try to publish those with the highest score but sometimes I just am in the mood for something else and then that damages my Hub Score.

My goal is to have 8-20 Hubs on the same topic and then interlink them.  Slowly but surely I will get there.

Some people knit, I Hub.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just a note - if you are here to make money, the sooner you publish the better, hubscore has no influence on earnings.

The sooner you publish, the faster you'll be indexed by google and the sooner you can hope to see traffic.

4. ponx profile image80
    ponxposted 13 years ago

Since I have another job the time that I can devote to HP varies. But I try to write at least 2 hubs in a week. Which is not so good if you are planning to make more money by writing. But I guess over time when I write more hubs my stats shall improve. smile

5. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years ago

Hubbing is not my main source of income, but I do write for a living. Two weeks ago (the last time I really crunched the numbers), I wrote about 15,000 words in five days - edited, proofed, and ready to be published.

I typically get up in the morning (late in the morning - 10 or so) and spend about an hour waking up. I warm up with my emails and notes to friends/connections, and then I get to work. I have lunch for about an hour around 2:00 or so, then back to the computer. I normally write/edit until around 7PM, then take a long break until 11 PM or so - sometimes, if there is a lot of work to be done, I continue to write/work (research, other things) until the wee hours (at least 2:00 AM). Then reading for a while, and off to bed. I also do a lot of reading during my lunch and long breaks - good stuff in, good stuff out.

This is not exactly a "plan" - the times I write correspond with the times during the day that I work best and enjoy working the most. So it's not set in stone - the days are flexible.

Frankly, sometimes it's very difficult to get motivated to write - one problem is that I spend so much time writing for others that it's difficult to have the time to write the things I want to write. Writing hubs alleviates that to some degree (although if you want to make money writing hubs, there are certainly some subjects that are far more profitable than others).

You'll really need to find what works for you, and train yourself. I suggest working up to it. Determine when you write best during the day (or night). Choose a window of a certain number of hours that you want to write and make yourself write during those hours - no more and no less. You'll get used to doing this, and the writing will be easier each time you sit down. Once it's easy - extend the time that you write, until you feel like you're working long enough to satisfy you without wearing you out.

Also - keep in mind that the Hubs that you write increase in value with time. The more you have out there, the longer it's been up - the more money it will make you. So don't get discouraged just because you're not raking in the cash yet. wink

Good luck!

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely great advice here and I wish I had as great a writing work ethic as you!

6. manicmusicfan profile image61
    manicmusicfanposted 13 years ago

Right now, i'm publishing about 50-100 articles per month.  This includes other sites as well, not just hubpages.

7. MeGunner profile image61
    MeGunnerposted 13 years ago

Cordale, I can't agree with you more. To make money here, you'll have to write quality hubs more consistently. I joined hubpages just to write, but no one reads until you invite them with all those SEO stuffs and then they must not be disappointed. I am trying hard to write more, do more research etc not primarily because of the money but because I want to enjoy my time here. If money comes along the way, as guaranteed by so many, then I will be happier...

8. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I am also a full-time writer, though Hubpages is not my primary source of income. It is, however, one of four sites I've been working on in an attempt to get some recurring income built up, and as such I try to devote a certain amount of time every day to working on the affiliate sites. It used to be about an hour a day I'd try to put into them, but as my due date for the new baby draws close I've stopped taking new client projects and have put the time into the affiliate sites instead. There are times when client projects pile up and I just plain don't have time to do anything on the affiliate sites, and then I usually do see a dip in earnings -- new articles keeps your name in front of your followers' faces, as well as gives you new opportunities to find a profitable topic. Every article has a life span -- some only a few weeks or months, while others are still profitable after years -- and the older your average article is, the more possible articles are past their prime and may not be earning you as much as they once did. I personally let articles stay as long as they earn anything at all, but those fresh new earners are a much-needed boost to the income.

9. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Most people joined to write - I joined because I had already started a blog I was hoping to earn from and I saw this as a place for backlinks. Then I realized I could make more here, easier.

Once I got into it (about April) I realized that the more I wrote the more I could earn, and since then I don't think I've done less than 2 a week, with my best week producing about 35 (I have several accounts.)

If you can forget about the money for awhile and instead believe that if you DO write nonstop, you CAN earn but it may not be straight away, then you're on the right track.

And if you don't know SEO the best advice I heard was "Throw mud at a wall and see what sticks." The more mud you throw the more chance you have of something sticking!

10. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

writing comes natural
    i write about how i feel, what i believe,
    as in catholic christian, anxiety, and fun things too.

I write a hub a day, or 2-4 a day or 2-3 a week.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)