Is making money online frowned upon?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. David 470 profile image79
    David 470posted 13 years ago

I have been on the "down low" on what I have been doing here. However, a member of my family did not seem to believe me. Basically, saying you can not go anywhere with this. Well, my moral is at an all time low now. sad

Everyone here is great, but a lot of people prob would not believe me elsewhere, or think I can not succeed.

I hate stereotypes...A lot of people think everything is a scam or a get-rich quick thing. My goal is not to get rich anyway...Was my time here truly wasted? I spent 100s if not 1000s of hours learning about keywords, writing, adsense, affiliate programs, and niches etc...

How could I explain that to a family member. I would prob just make myself look bad trying to explain...

David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

EDIT: I did not go into details about what I was doing just said affiliate writing online.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Their skepticism comes from ignorance.  They probably have a mental picture of all those affiliate scams and pyramid schemes that they see ads for all over the net.  Try explaining in greater detail what HubPages is all about -- writing what you know, and sharing in the revenue from the ads on each of your pages.  When they better understand, chances are they'll take it more seriously.

2. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought that writing for adsense was a scam myself.  Someone told me about it, and I immediately thought it was fake.  After a discussion I bet them that if I wrote some random things that they wouldn't make any money.  I lost the bet.  I haven't written anything since, but you will make money if you continue with your hard work.  If you want to convince your friend/family about what you're doing make a bet with them.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Is it frowned upon? No.

But, many people are thoroughly convinced that making money online is next to impossible, unless you're an absolute professional.

What many fail to understand or even realize is that when they are trying to make money online, they are actually in business for themselves and must get out of the mind-set of a hobby or job.

Self employment is different than working for someone else or just playing with a hobby.

Just a thought.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

David, most of my family members are the same way, believing it cannot happen.  I don't take it personally as I don't think they are aiming at me but at the concept.

There are so many, many scams or near scams out there I totally understand their view.  My first payout has converted a couple of naysayers to "maybesayers" but that's about it.

I think a few more months, with some larger payouts, and I'll have most of them converted though.  And I fully intend to announce to all and sundry "I told ya so!" until everyone is sick of it! lol

Consider that you have studied and learned far more than they have and know more than they.  Let it go and ignore - just wait for a $500 payout and start up the "Told ya so" thing.

Yeah, well I am going get my first check december. Well,I should, its over 100, and I believe the estimated earnings will be fairly accurate.

Yeah, the concept is what is misunderstood I think. I mean there are scams out there. Then I think some people think others are trying to make six figure numbers over night lol

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

David,after the first payout the rest come a lot quicker, trust me on this. Don't get disheartened, keep on writing hubs and I bet you anything in six months time you will start to see some real returns for all the hard work you have put in so far! Let's see what they say then, eh?

Thanks for the support.

4. vanchen profile image68
    vanchenposted 13 years ago

Don't worry David.  My family was the same way... believing I was wasting my time, laughing at the dollars or cents I made that got me excited.

It doesn't last though.  Once you show them that first payout from Google they'll be joining the party.

The funny thing is, you only need to make double digit numbers to make good money. The main reason is because you can make money on the weekends.

20 dollars= 600 dollars a month.

Of course, everything varies so much, but there is still a daily average over a course of 30 days.

5. Kidgas profile image61
    Kidgasposted 13 years ago

Ignore your family or anyone else who doesn't really understand what is going on.  That is one of the main reasons that people are critical.  The others would be jealousy or just plain old negativity.  Keep doing what you are doing.

6. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

Tell that they are right - and you will never make any money here...Then they won't come bugging you for loans and it keeps the competition away.  Sounds like a win-win! 

Of course, you can always laugh all the way to the bank.  ;-)

lol

7. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Can anyone tell me if there is a page on Adsense where you can see all your earnings for the year? I'm thinking I'll need to print it out for my income taxes.

1. Wendy Krick profile image63
      Wendy Krickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep.

Click on my account....

Click on Payment History. smile

8. Wendy Krick profile image63
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

That is why I don't really tell anyone what I do. I just say I do some freelance writing.

Just keep doing what you do. When you get a big check, they will see that consistent effort pays off.

There are a lot of "dream stealer" out there and usually a dream stealler is someone who loves and wants the best for you. They just don't get it.

9. PurpleOne profile image79
    PurpleOneposted 13 years ago

I haven't told many people just how much time I've spent on HP trying to learn how it all works and also writing hubs. I think most people would think I'm crazy so I just don't bother! I have reached payout though so I've proven to myself that it's not just a scam. I want to consistently make at least $100 each month with adsense and Amazon combined before I start telling family members. tongue I have a ways to go before that happens though!

David, I agree with the others - don't get discouraged! And if you really are truly discouraged, you could try doing what I've done before: just walk away from here for a few weeks or few months to clear your head and don't check your stats everyday and obsess... then come back and you'll probably have renewed energy and just might find that you've earned more than you thought you would during that time and that is by far the biggest motivator.

10. gracenotes profile image90
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

David,
    I am right there with you.  My family members don't understand, and don't comprehend even modest goals that I've made for a monthly income on HubPages.  Even if I tell them I would like to make my earnings cover my house note each month (which is not a huge payment at all), they express doubt that it is possible.

My sister was not only critical of the idea of HP, she was also critical of the type of hubs I write.  That was definitely my mistake, telling her about specific hubs I was researching.  That spooked me enough that I'm going to be careful how I talk about my subject areas in the future.

It's really kind of stupid when you think about it.  People believe you can make money in stocks and bonds, but they also see that you can lose quite a bit too.  The only thing I will lose here at HubPages is my time.

11. jokeapptv profile image60
    jokeapptvposted 13 years ago

you know with ipads,tabs, etc everything is mobile and web related. just do it and dont worry what others think. you know it can be a hobby and your not wasting alot money and your not killing animals or gambling. have fun and dont give up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)