Weird-Sounding but Yummy Food Combos

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (31 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

What's the oddest food combo you've had that upon first hearing you went, "YUCK!" but after tasting, found surprisingly good?  I'll begin with 2 examples:

1)  Ever been in Girl Scouts?  Then you've probably encountered this odd hors d'ouerve: Cabbage leaves rolled up with peanut butter.  As "eeewww" as this sounds, it's surprisingly good.  Why?  You use raw green cabbage.  Uncooked cabbage has a very mild flavor, and a nice crunch to it.  Spread with peanut butter, a stronger flavor, you don't really taste the cabbage; it becomes but a vehicle for the peanut butter.

2)  When I met my current husband, I learned another one:  A-1 steak sauce on macaroni and cheese.  Yeah, that's what I thought, too...until I tried it.  It adds an interesting tang to an otherwise bland dish.

THE RULES: 
    1) everything must be real food

2) you must have actually tried and liked it yourself.  No making up the nastiest combinations you can think of just to gross people out. (A favorite game my childhood friends and I used to play within earshot of our parents....)

YOUR TURN!

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Well, I can't say that I like it or have eaten it, by my oldest daughter slathers her mac and cheese with ketchup and pickle relish.

There are, however, a few seemingly odd flavor combinations that I love, like caramel with sea salt and chocolate with cayenne pepper. That's about as weird as my taste buds get. smile

3. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

One of my comfort foods is applesauce mixed with cottage cheese.

I also sometimes salt watermelon, but that doesn't seem as unusual.

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Dairylea cheese spread is delicious with mashed banana on a bread sandwich.

5. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

1. PB and cheese.
    2. Fries dipped in caramel sundae topping at Hungry Jack's (non- Aussies read as "Burger King").
    3. Mayonnaise on fries and chicken.

6. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Potato chips and vanilla ice cream.

Chocolate-covered potato chips.

Ketchup on fried chicken.

7. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 13 years ago

When I was a kid, I liked green relish on a Cheez Whiz sandwich...both of which I would never eat these days.

Also, I used to know someone who liked peanut butter on a stick of celery, which seemed a bit yucky to me.  To each his own, I guess.

8. Denise Handlon profile image87
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

McDonald's fish sandwich with dill pickles on it-had it all the time when I was pregnant for the first time.

9. evvy_09 profile image60
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

Honey mustard on fried fish. Tried it just cuz I put honey mustard or ranch on almost anything.

10. WoodsmensPost profile image62
    WoodsmensPostposted 13 years ago

Hotdogs with bacon ranch salad dressing. Always a good replacement for ketchup or mustard.

Bologna and mayo on a onion bagel

Potato chips and chocolate chip cookies

11. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

I thought cheese and apple slices sounded pretty weird, but I tried it and it's surprisingly good.

12. Hugh Williamson profile image77
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

This isn't exactly health food, but an incredibly good sandwich is bacon, peanut butter and sliced banana on toast.

I think Elvis' favorite was something like that. (And look what happened to poor Elvis).

13. bewilderize profile image57
    bewilderizeposted 13 years ago

I will still eat this to this day (as in this past Tuesday)...

Pork rinds soaked in vinegar with a side of white rice.

14. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Vegemite spread and cheese on toast, it's been an Australian staple for kids for years big_smile

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OMG--we had guests from Australia one year when my kids were in high school.  They brought us some Vegemite.  I've never tasted anything so foul, and had to call on my strongest acting skills to maintain a straight face, swallow, and say nothing more offensive than "Interesting."

1. profile image0
        Toby Hansenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am with you Ms Lizzy. And I am Australian!

15. pilesnoway profile image61
    pilesnowayposted 13 years ago

peanut butter on bananas!!! yum yum..:d

16. know one profile image61
    know oneposted 13 years ago

Peanut butter with tinned tuna. Delicious.
    Ditto the salted caramel. Even better as a macaron.
    Fetta and watermelon salad.
    Strawberry and english spinach salad (with balsamic).
    Rockmelon(canteloupe)and proscuitto.

17. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Grated extra mature Cheddar sprinkled on home made chilli con carne.  With an optional baked potato.

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing weird about that at all!
      That is the only way I get to cook chill in this house! Hubby is a wossie man when it comes to hot spicy foods lol
      The cheese tames the hotness down enough for him smile

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Heehee, it's the opposite in our house.  I like spicy foods, don't get me wrong, but my OH likes his chillis and curries verrry spicy, to the point of blowing the roof of your mouth off.  So I've more or less taken over the cooking from him whenever these two dishes are on the menu - if he wants more spices, he can always add some to his own plate after it's been served!

I think I could get on with your other half! My other half could always do the cooking instead of leaving it to me. Somehow I don't see him getting to it before midnight tho hmm
          Well poor him, he gets stuck with my hot spicy foods! lol

18. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Folks think my putting peanut butter on apples is weird, but I tell ya, its yummy! The juices from the apple make the peanut butter stick less to the roof of the mouth too smile

1. know one profile image61
      know oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Might make a peanut butter and apple pie this week and see how it goes... with a little bit of salted caramel sauce with it!

In a pie?! Hmmm never thought about that. Let us know how it goes!

Will do. I'm making little fruit mince pies tomorrow for friends and I will hijack one for this very purpose. I hope I remember which one... or the recipient of the "FMPs" could be in for a surprise smile  I'll blame you if that happens - but only if its yucky. wink  lol, perhaps next Christmas my PBandA Pies will be on request instead of my FM ones!!

19. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

This evening I tried peanut butter on toast... using my home made lemon butter instead of regular butter. Was nicer than I expected.

No vegemite for this Aussie!

Are you even a true Aussie? (What? No vegemite!?) 

Were your expectations for your toasted sandwich combo set so very low (as mine would have been) that they were able to be exceeded regardless? I'd much rather team that lemon butter with scones and cream... what a waste wink

1. profile image0

Yes, born and bred Aussie. We do not all like vegemite, you know. It is like saying that all Brits like marmite.

The main reason for the lemon butter, is that I ran out of regular butter. I get paid on Wednesday, so have to make do in the mean time big_smile

True Aussie ingenuity!

I thought it was a nationwide preference. My sample size must have been too small.

I'm glad you had lemon butter in the fridge, under the circumstances. smile

1. profile image0

I prefer a spread called Promite. It is not as strong, and is a vegetable extract, not yeast.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)