Getting depressed...what I am doing wrong?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. chenderson00 profile image57
    chenderson00posted 13 years ago

I have been here for about 5 months, I started turning out Hubs about 2 months ago...I'm up to 29, which I know isn't a lot. However, my fiance only has 5 and is getting hits on Google. I haven't made a penny but I have made some off of Amazon so far. Only 16 dollars but still....I have had success on other sites and just wondering what I'm doing wrong here.

Can anyone take a look at my hubs or give me suggestions or even just inspirational stories on success. I need motivation. I can't even write a new hub over obsessing over these details. I hate hate hate failing at anything and it's start to get to me. I've had clicks on Google, but not one penny in earnings yet.

What am I doing wrong?

1. profile image0
      cookingdivaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Chenderson00,

I am new myself to really give you any advise, but I wanted to share hugs and say hang in there.

Do not compare yourself with other hubber, that is sure way to feel bad, I know as I have done it too. You may want to post it on twitter or other social media for more traffic. Sometimes there are just hit and miss.

I read about someone who made 40 hubs and made $120 dollars in 20 days, this type of cases are far and few in between. Generally people do not make lot of money right away. Just keep doing what you are doing and hope it will work out for all of us. Hang in there.

1. tobey100 profile image60
        tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

One great piece of advice Cooking.  Don't compare yourself to other hubbers.  I've been here a year and I've made...$1.  Still love it.

2. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Chenderson smile Hang in there. I remember getting disheartened at about the same time (around 4/5 months in) and I decided to push through it and start learning from hubbers that were doing well - it was a good decision smile Compare your hubs to those that are doing well and see what changes you can make to improve yours.

Check out the learning centre videos on keyword research, choosing titles etc - they are great.

http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/hubcamp-sf-2/

My experience is that longer hubs do better, so I usually go for 800 words +. I make sure my pages are optimized onpage for my keywords and as mikey says you can manipulate the capsules so that the ads are in the best places.

Feel free to drop me a line if you want any specific help smile

3. saleheensblog profile image61
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

your hubs look OK to me. Give it time and you will see improvement in your earning. I hope a couple of moth later you will start getting much traffic as by that time your hubs will get aged.

4. saleheensblog profile image61
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

your hubs look OK to me. Give it time and you will see improvement in your earning. I hope a couple of moth later you will start getting much traffic as by that time your hubs will get aged. You can post few links in extreme hubmakeover forum to get expert advice from more reputed and experienced hubbers.

2. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Link a hub or two in the extreme hub maker forum.

Well you might as well just post the links here and a moderator will move it over.

Looking at this hub
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Apply-Eye-Makeup-With-Ease

I noticed your big problem is your adsense ad is not at the top. Instead you have Amazon ads there. If you are looking to get money off of adsense, make sure the adsense ad is in the top right of your page. Move the amazon ads and the eye picture down. That could be a huge problem.

Also it seems like you can find better keywords. You need to make your title something that can put you at the front of google's first page. I searched how to apply eye make up and yours was not up there. It is very important you find search phrases where you can get first page. Go to google and just type in phrases to where you think you would find your page, and make sure its a pretty common searched phrase.

Good luck, things will turn around!

3. MoneyCreator24 profile image56
    MoneyCreator24posted 13 years ago

Hi, honey.
    I understand that you are depressed. In your place I would be depressed too. But that does not advance you. So, chin up! And forward!

I saw your hub. The Article is good and informative. However, I recommend the following changes:
    - Search on YouTube for a video that fits the theme. Embed the video in your hub. Place it on top, or at least so that your readers see it immediately. At the bottom is not a good place for it.
    - Put a picture on top. The best way you put it right next to your article beginning. (Alternatively, you can just put a video there.)
    - Use a photo absolutely. On your list this hub will appear as a thumbnail and arouse curiosity.
    - Distribute your article to several capsules. This provides space for Google ads.
    - Amazon Place items next to your text.
    - Build more text links to internal and external sites that fit the theme. In the hubs, which I looked, there were none.
    - Promote your hubs. Send tweets on various community pages with http://ping.fm.
    - Be more active on Hubpages. Answer questions. Ask questions. Go on alert. In this way you get more traffic. And more traffic means more money.
    - Write articles on topics of great interest for many people. Use google keyword research. So you can find out if your topic is interesting for 30 people or for 30,000 people.

I think that your income should improve. If you like to earn more money, go on.

Warm Regards!
    Andreas

1. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good advice in general, but this tip above is not a good idea smile The best performing ad space is the square one to the right of the first text capsule, so it's best not to put a picture, video or any other capsule there. Add these elements further down the page.

1. profile image0
        TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with your point, ads on top right position gave me some clicks.

4. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

@MoneyCreator24,

- Search on YouTube for a video that fits the theme. Embed the video in your hub. Place it on top, or at least so that your readers see it immediately. At the bottom is not a good place for it-------------Not a good idea. People want to read your hub. Video can be a supporting element, not your prime focus. I personally would not place a video at least between first 300 words. Video won't help click through rate or in SEO. Video is just useful to make the hub more informative and practical.

- Put a picture on top. The best way you put it right next to your article beginning. (Alternatively, you can just put a video there.)-----------------Not a good idea. It will push the 360x250 size ads block downward. The top right is the best pace for ads to be clicked. Noway a picture there is helpful. A hub with a picture on top of it or beside the first text capsule will minimize your earning.

- Distribute your article to several capsules. This provides space for Google ads.---------------good idea. Insert at least 120 word in the first capsule so that the bigger block of ads appear beside it on the top right corner. Then a little capsule and then few more is helpful. You can inset header in the capsule with your keywords that has good impact on SEO.

- Amazon Place items next to your text.------------not right. You have to an amazon capsule and choose product for it. Amazon ads are not automated.

- Build more text links to internal and external sites that fit the theme. In the hubs, which I looked, there were none.------------does not help much. Sending a link to your personal blog, website will give you a backlink. But more than 2 outbound link to a similar domain is a TOS violation. Too many links to other content may take your reader away.

- Promote your hubs. Send tweets on various community pages with ht tp://ping.fm.-------------not needed at all. Its totally a waste of time.

- Be more active on Hubpages. Answer questions. Ask questions. Go on alert. In this way you get more traffic. And more traffic means more money.---------optional. Being effective you can learn many thing and get internal readers but the internal readers won't click your ads.

- Write articles on topics of great interest for many people. Use google keyword research. So you can find out if your topic is interesting for 30 people or for 30,000 people.----------Find high traffic low competition keywords with keyword research.

5. fucsia profile image61
    fucsiaposted 13 years ago

I have find many useful tips in this topic... Thanks all!

6. DonnaCSmith profile image82
    DonnaCSmithposted 13 years ago

You are getting some good advice. I am glad you posted your question because I can use some of the tips you are getting, too. The only thing I can add is, "It takes time."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)