Spammer on the loose posting on Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

There seems to be someone posting a Spam Link on hubs. I have reported it from my hub. I am wondering if others are getting this person on their hubs also?

What this person does is "Copy" a section of Your comments and "paste" them in the comment box. The Name listed by the poster is a URL that opens in another window. No mew comment at all. Just spam!

This is the name: tariq 64

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I have seen him/her. He takes a paragraph from two other comments and posts as though it were new. Easy to miss if you get a lot of comments because it can look legit.

The links give it away if nothing else does.

2. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I had a similar one this morning, but with a slightly different name.  I checked it before approving (I have all of mine set so that I have to approve all comments) and then I denied it.  I forget whether I reported it as spam, but I probably should have.

Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I set my comments for approval as well. On one hub this poster came back to post again a couple of weeks after I deleted the first one. So I reported as Spam tonight.

3. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I'll keep my eyes open, in case he comes back.  Thanks for the heads-up!

4. Tammy L profile image69
    Tammy Lposted 13 years ago

I saw where this tariq 64 tried to post to one of your hubs.  Obviously his "comment" is not visible to anyone but you since it was "unapproved".

This is the one of the reasons I select to "approve  comments." I remember when I first tried to  delete the comment the first time,it seemed hard to  get rid of.

5. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I've been hit twice today, but not with that user name.

6. Edweirdo profile image85
    Edweirdoposted 13 years ago

I had the same thing on one of my hubs, but with a different user name.

He/she posted 4 comments on one hub, each with a different outgoing link and user name.

My comments are set to require approval, so no harm.

This effort on the spammer's part seems pretty useless - the comment links here are no-follow, and just copying and pasting my own comments and re-posting them on the original hub is pointless...

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Probably comes from someone who speaks no English.

I've had several comments on my camera hubs recently from a Hubpages user who has a lot of camera hubs. Each time he comments he leaves links to his own hubs and I have refused him every time. He's not on.

7. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I've had someone who goes by the ID of Pcunix posting on mine.  Should I report him?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL

2. Tammy L profile image69
      Tammy Lposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've checked out Pcunix's profile and he is a legit hubber.  He's been doing this for over a year.  He has over 400 followers and I'm one of them.  He is a very good writer.  He is a computer expert.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Tammy, I was joking.  But without a Lol.  It's dangerous.

1. Tammy L profile image69
          Tammy Lposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whew, Mark.  I'm glad you were joking and I should have known it was a joke, DUH.

Not at all Tammy.  I've not been here long so why would you know.  I know all about Pcunix, he's helped me a lot - nice guy.  That's why I felt free to try to get him banned.

1. nell79 profile image78
              nell79posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol Thanks for the laugh today!

It's my way of contributing.  Other guys actually know stuff.

2. Pcunix profile image90
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For a second there, I wondered if some spammer was using my ID to leave junk.

But no, it was just my junk..

That's a relief... good quality junk though.  Usually contains all those keywords I should have thought of in the first place.

8. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

I've reported this tariq character for spamming several times in the last couple of days - not sure what the copying your last few comments into a new comment is all about though!

I know. He/She doesn't even try to leave a comment of their own. Just copy mine and paste them back.
      I hope  HP can use the I.P. Address after I reported it to block this person.

9. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I just deleted it but now I think about it I suppose I should have reported it, they copied and early comment even down to including the hubbers name.

New one today was one about fireplaces that then went on a length to cover to something unrelated to fireplaces or my hub, oddly they placed it on my reindeer hub so maybe it was left there in code for Santa smile

I have also had a new hubber posting a nice comment but with out link to their blog, a couple of times. I would not do that in a comment, but I guess they are unaware that some people do n't like that happening.

Oh well back to the thought of how to write.

10. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

I had the same problem..they copied other posters comments 4 times on 6 hubs...
    i deleted it..It didn't make any sense unless they are just "having fun"...roll

11. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

i have a comment, which i approved because he may a legitimate comment on my hub and then copied another comment- i assumed this was an error on his behalf- think i will keep it there as it was relevant

12. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Sure Ive seen this Tariq 64 name before lol Maybe hes well known.

13. ChikkenPotPie profile image57
    ChikkenPotPieposted 13 years ago

Isn't there always a spammer on the loose...anywhere you look?

14. Tammy L profile image69
    Tammy Lposted 13 years ago

On a serious note though, I did have someone post to one of my hubs and leave a link to one of their hubs.  The approval moderation labeled the comment as "spam".  The comment was the person's original comment.  I checked out the person's profile before deciding it was indeed not spam.  A few people leave links to their hubs if the hub is related to the one they're commenting on, which I don't really have a problem with.

Of course, to me Spam is best enjoyed between two pieces of bread with a little mustard.  LOL

15. PR_am profile image61
    PR_amposted 13 years ago

Haven't noticed yet

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)