Niche ponderings

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Jule Romans profile image96
    Jule Romansposted 13 years ago

I've been here about 10 months- really active for about 3 of those months. I've published 50 hubs, exploring two potential niches, with a couple of others in there for fun. I've let them "age" a bit. I know they are not lucrative niches, particularly. I did not expect anything big, especially because I do not back link. Still, I am a bit disappointed in their performance.

I am pretty sure that my hubs are clearly written and of reasonable quality. They are certainly not perfect.

Given my limited writing time, should I:

1. Improve and refine my existing hubs- removing all typos, carefully re-crafting SEO strategies, intensifying content, etc.

2. Increase volume in a current niche to at least 200+

3. Choose a new niche and  start over?

Jule Romansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I forgot to add that my earnings are evenly split between adsense and amazon- I have earned about the same on each.  I am guessing that bespeaks a bit of "lack of focus" so I imagine that I'll need to address that, too, once I choose what to do.

Thanks for any thoughts you wish to provide. :-)

2. daybreak profile image79
      daybreakposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jule

I wanted to add one idea to the mix here.

I would challenge you to take a look at what you have accomplished and base the value of this project on more than just money.

You have a genuine talent and have created quite a collection of content. You may find that income will follow, just a little slower than expected.

I believe you have what it takes to obtain one or more domains and get involved in blogging or other types of websites.

For many of us, building backlinks is a royal pain in the butt, but a necessary part of our businesses. If you wanted to do some experimentation before jumping into website ownership, you could use one of the free blogging platforms. That would give you an opportunity to try blogging while building backlinks at the same time.

Many of us use blogger and there are some really good free blog communities that use the wordpress platform. You could start a blog there where you could write about your passion while including a limited number of backlinks.

The nice thing about blogger and other free blogging tools is that most of them allow users to implement adsense, Amazon ads or other income producing tools.

2. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I would say, do all three.

I know that is not particularly helpful, but considering your limited writing time I would suggest option 2.

My reasoning behind this is that you can keep your current content, but learn from it so future hubs are a little better.

Thank you. I know you are very busy, but if you ever have time, I would appreciate any critiques you may have of my current hubs. I think I know what my main issues are, but I would appreciate hearing from a seasoned expert.  Thanks again, Oli.

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

4. Backlink smile

1. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Misha, you have recently got 2 million views.

What is the best practices of backlink?

1. saleheensblog profile image60
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

contextual one way backlinking from different high rank sources.

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is good, but in my experience often not enough smile

2. Misha profile image62

Diversify and avoid spamming. Build backlinks to the pages that have links to your pages, too. smile

1. Autumn Lynn profile image67
          Autumn Lynnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to jump in on this but can you just elaborate a sentence or 2 on what you mean by backlinking the pages that have links to your pages. I am new to the linking and what to make sure I get your point clearly.

2. Jule Romans profile image96

thanks, Misha. I really am not good at backlinking. Tried it for awhile, but lost interest. Lazy, I guess.

1. Misha profile image62

Up to you. Though I don't understand what is the point of asking how to improve mediocre performance when you don't want to do what it takes to improve it.

No, Misha, I was not rejecting your suggestion at all. I was confessing. :-)

4. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Jule I spent this week taking a really hard look at underperforming web real estate. I think it's more than just SEO. You need to look at how convincingly you sell stuff. I'll never be convinced that informational hubs or personal websites with a few related products will reach high sales volumes. And it appears that from what I've seen both on and off HP. It doesn't mean that you won't make money - just not as much.

This year for me - it's all about the sales. And I went on a spending spree of programming and sales tools to help me do that.

(It was spend it or pay it in taxes, so I helped out the private economy a bit.)

Thank you for that. It's great advice, Nelle. I have been thinking about that, too. I agree with you.   I'm leaning toward sales as well.

This, I think , says it all:

"You need to look at how convincingly you sell stuff. I'll never be convinced that informational hubs or personal websites with a few related products will reach high sales volumes."

In this context, I am finding that it is easy to get confused about purpose and focus.  I start thinking of one strategy- for example,  high volume in an extremely narrow niche.  Then I  start thinking about content, and I go off on a tangent about sharing expertise and writing a bunch of information.  Then I consider keywords, and get distracted by high potential earning words.  After that, I confuse myself even more by trying to  accommodate what I WANT to write... on the theory that my sheer enthusiasm for a subject will magically draw readers and transform into earnings. I add on top, like an afterthought, backlinking. By that point, though, I am so exhausted it just seems like too much.  (Which is why I told Misha I was "lazy." I'm not really lazy, I'm confused.)

All that mushing around consumes an inordinate amount of time and energy, and generates VERY LITTLE publishable content.  big_smile 

That spending spree will  not only help the private economy, I have a hunch it will help the HP community, too! I  know you generously share experience, so i can't wait to hear more about how it works for you in the coming year.

For myself, I am going to try to resolve this confusion and find a direction as soon as I can, even though my progress is going to be slower, since I have other commitments that will take me away from web writing for months at a time.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Hi Jules,  I've been here two months so I know nothing. Oh, and I'm not very interested in flowers so not my subject.

But every musing helps... maybe.

I looked at a couple of your hubs.  Nicely laid out, interlinked with your other hubs, attractive.  A good set of hubs for someone interested in the subject.

So I presume your 'problem' is traffic, rather than sales conversion.

Thoughts.

One hub I looked at seemed a bit short on Tags.  Tags are important.  If someone has entered HubPages on a different search, not one of yours, they may look at associated Hubs.  So Tags help you get on that list.

Search areas.  As I say I don't know much about the subject.  But native flowers and ecology go together - you have done a Hub on that.  How about Bees?  A new hub, at the edges of your subject, which might hook some people in and then you can sell your other hubs to them?

Maybe a Hub on water preservation in the garden - lower bills, save the planet - as a result of using less water for natural species.  Again, its about drawing visitors in, and selling your other hubs to them.

As I say, just musing.

Hey, those are some pretty great ideas! Thanks.

I appreciate the comment about tags. I forgot about those. They do need an upgrade.

I also liked your topic suggestions. They are in areas I had not considered, but also have some knowledge in.

Think I'll do some keyword research this evening.
      smile

6. profile image0
    BenjaminBposted 13 years ago

Just writing the Hubs will never make the traffic come in amounts needed for low profit niche terms.You can never expect to do any good without putting in at least a small amount of promotional work.If you are considering spending the time to write even more hubs I would say that effort would be better spent on a article campaign to gain back links.

7. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

Jule - I think that creating links is boring and would much rather work on a hub. But when I forced myself to buckle down and create just a few links, not nearly enough, I did notice an increase in traffic and earnings. Work is not always fun!

8. Jule Romans profile image96
    Jule Romansposted 13 years ago

I agree with both of you. I will go back and read more about backlinking. Misha- want to chime in with sonme reading suggestions... ??? Anyone else?

I went to work on my tags yesterday, finished today. hope to see at least a small upturn in traffic from that.

Thanks so much for the comments, folks-- keep 'em coming, please.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)