which cooking oil is beneficial for health?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (65 posts)
  1. shriash profile image61
    shriashposted 14 years ago

1. olive oil

2. corn oil

3. cocount oil

4. sunflower oil

1. apricot profile image66
      apricotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The standard response to that is olive oil although  I've never tried corn oil or coconut (corn should theoretically be quite a heavy oil for the heart, I think)
      Personally I think all oil should be used in moderation if it's going to be healthy.  Bon appetit!

2. profile image54
      Rabbi Kingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Olive oil is good for most of the cooking and canola oil is good for frying

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

2 and 4 are all unsaturated, so they don't have bad health effects.  However olive oil is monounsaturated, which has positive benefits, so it's the winner hands down.

Another monounsaturated oil is canola oil (still called rape seed oil in some countries - you can see why they changed the name!).

Another good unsaturated oil is rice bran oil.

Olive oil, rice bran oil and canola oil all have cholesterol-lowering properties.

There is some evidence that coconut oil has health benefits in spite of containing very high levels of saturated fat - it's really up to you to Google and work out your own opinion.

shriashposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You  are  right. But every regions in the world uses a particular oil and has its own benefits.

4. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Olive Oil. It is a monounsaturated fat, loaded with anti-oxidants, not easily absorbed, very flavorful, and good for almost all, but high temperature cooking.

One hundred grams of olive oil has 14g saturated fat compared to butter's 51g. 71g of monounsaturated fat to butter's 21g (this is the good fat).

It has a low incidence of allergic reaction. And even has some molecular components (Cyclooxygenase) similar to the active ingredient in ibuprofen. Olive oil also has some anti-inflammatory properties.

The only time I use canola is if I'm doing deep-frying (which is rare) and for making home-made mayonnaise. It's the best for mayonnaise as it has almost no flavor of it's own.

Olive oil makes atrocious mayonnaise.

5. akirchner profile image91
      akirchnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree - olive oil - 4 thumbs up!

6. nikki1 profile image60
      nikki1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello, hello smile
      Canola oil less than a teaspoon in a cake mix. Other wise
      0 calorie cooking spray with (canola oil) for your frying.
      Bona petite

7. aslanlight profile image64
      aslanlightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Someone posted that coconut oil is very healthy. I utterly agree but disagree where they claim we shouldn't eat too much of it. I eat a lot and my health has benefited greatly. My skin and hair looks must better too.

It can be heated at higher temperatures than olive oil, which should not be overheated.

2. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

3...by far! so many great properties!

1. Daniel Carter profile image61
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, apparently this is true. Coconut oil has all kinds of nutritive, energizing and some healing properties, but along with olive oil, you can't heat this stuff up very much without changing its structure and therefore, losing the benefit.

There are cooking oils that are that have more omega 3's in them than before, and as was mentioned, grape seed oil is great for cooking because it tolerates heat so well.

3. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Umm well monounsaturated fats are the best for you. Coconut oil is a saturated fat, not so good. Sunflower, olive, and corn are unsaturated. But it depends on what your purpose is. Also a lot of oils can break down into trans fats when exposed to high heat (cooking) so thats why olive and canola oil are good smile

I would say #1 because of the high levels of monounsaturated fat.

1. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've read somewhere (of course, I know any information can be incorrect especially these days) BUT I've heard conflicting reports on saturated vs. unsaturated fats. Supposidly a lot of monounsaturated fats are feed to farm animals, such as pigs, which are used to 'fatten' them up...not saturated foods. Also, I would think with a balanced diet and moderate exercise should balance out the saturated fats found in coconut oil..of course, I'm no nutritionist...I'm just speculating here based on limited knowledge and my own "internet" research. smile

1. wyanjen profile image71
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice pumpkin smile

1. drej2522 profile image68
          drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, yours is better...ehh

2. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah dre you're totally right. As long as someone has a healthy diet and exercises coconut oil is perfectly ok, especially as a supplement. But for taste, availability, etc. I stick with olive oil smile

4. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

No cooking is the best tongue

1. Carmen Borthwick profile image60
      Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha, come on! What do you eat then, fast food? Very bad! Or do you eat everything raw?

2. shriash profile image61

Yes, Misha , I hope you are not cooking for yourselves.cool

5. Carmen Borthwick profile image60
    Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years ago

The only good oil is extra virgin olive oil, this is from the first pressing unlike all others that have been re-pressed afterward. Including pure... the last pressing.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yep. i cook pretty much everything with olive oil. well everything that needs to be sauteed etc.

of course you wouldn't use olive oil in things like cakes, etc...

6. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Olive oil all the way.
    It is not refined chemically.
    Pressed, strained and bottled!

7. Carmen Borthwick profile image60
    Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years ago

Just stay away from margarine Pass The Butter . Please.   
    Margarine  was originally manufactured to fatten  turkeys  When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put  all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their  heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get  their money back. 
    It was a white substance with no food appeal  so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter.  How do you like it?   They have come out  with some clever new flavourings..   
    DO  YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?   
    Both  have the same amount of calories.

Butter  is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8  grams; compared   to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase  heart disease in women by  53%  over  eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent  Harvard  Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in  other foods.

Butter  has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only  because  they are added!

Butter  tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of  other foods.

Butter  has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease .
    Increases  total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and  lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases  the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers  quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases  insulin response.

And  here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT  IS  VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine  is but ONE MOLECULE away  from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life  and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is  added,  changing the molecular structure of the  substance).   

You  can try this yourself:

Purchase  a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded  area.  Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

*  no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it  (that should tell you something)

*  it does not rot or smell differently because it has  no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny  microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.  Why?   Because it is nearly plastic .  Would you melt your Tupperware and  spread that  on your toast?

1. The Rope profile image60
      The Ropeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just to be sure, there is also a very big difference in stick versus soft butter (or margarine)...but I digress,
      Different oils have different uses and the cook must consider the burn factor as well as the amount to be used - a little bit of the higher fat version may be more acceptable than making something that won't be consumed with the lower version.  "rmcrayne" had a good point - pumpkin seed oil is my favorite salad oil but the burn rate is such that it isn't really useful in the skillet and frankly olive oil is not a taste I find goes with many of the foods I personally cook. It's all about choices and knowledge...

8. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

olive oil is tasty..smile...and good for you too.

And, many American's make decisions based on convenience...Exercise is not convenient! So...olive oil is ultimately the 'safer' choice. smile

9. rmcrayne profile image91
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Maybe the better question is which essential oils are best for health.  Not all of them are suitable for cooking, but to be used in dressings etc.  Pumpkin seed oil, hemp oil, flax seed oil etc have great health benefits.  Just like coconut oil however, mainstream media, influenced by Western Medicine thinking, doesn't seem to know this. 

Check Wilderness Family Naturals for all things coconut.  I like their coconut oil soaps and deodorants, but buy my coconut oil for cooking locally. 

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/

Where u from?smile

1. rmcrayne profile image91
        rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm from South Carolina/USA.  I lived in several states and countries the last 20 years, and now live in Texas.

10. shanekruger profile image59
    shanekrugerposted 14 years ago

i think olive oil is better.

11. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

vegetable oil

You added a cooking oil. That is made the competition tough.

12. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Extra virgin olive oil - healthy and also extremely tasty smile

1. manlypoetryman profile image83
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what a "Doc" on my favorite radio station says. He states that is the way to go! I guess that is in abundance over in Greece as well...Sufidreamer?

Man...I like Greek food...Gyros...Shish ka Bob...and Backlavash (sp?)...for starters.

13. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

The OP asked which cooking oil is beneficial to health. Maybe I'm talking out of my arse, but I don't think any of them are. I think it's really about which one is less harmful to your health.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If your body didn't get fat of some sort, you'd die!

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fat is an essential part of the diet.  Many vitamins are fat soluble and cannot be processed without fat.  Carrots with fat-free dip may as well be candy.

14. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

lol
    Olive oil has monounsaturated fats so it is healthy for your heart. It also has antioxidants.

Olive oil is made simply by crushing olives. No processing, nothing added to it. Just olives, squeezed and bottled.

It's good to use olive oil in place of other oils. It's completely healthy smile

15. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Olive oil loses some of its beneficial properties when heated- it is better when drizzled over cooked veggies or salads.

I like to use grapeseed oil for cooking-- it has a very high smoking point, so you can get a high heat and use a little grapeseed oil to sautee or brown foods. It also is much higher in polyunsaturated fat, Omega 6 and vitamin E than olive oil.

It is very tasteless, compared to olive-- but great for a qucic stir-fry.

Grape seed oil .To be frank , I am hearing about this first time. Can u explain how we are getting the grape seed oil.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I live in California-- where there are a lot of vineyards. The wine producers have found out that they can extract oil from the grapeseeds-- yielding another money-making product  from their wine grapes. Here, at least, it is quite a bit cheaper than olive oil, and the analysis of it puts it way above olive oil in nutrient power. As i said, the high smoke  temp makes it great in a frying pan.
        I will admit  that olive oil is still the best tasting for raw uses, like salad dressings.

2. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll second grapeseed oil. It's very healthy, has a high smoke point, and has a neutral flavor.

16. Blogging Erika profile image66
    Blogging Erikaposted 14 years ago

Well thanks for the accidental heads up!  I swear I wrote a hub on this last week, but it's not in my account, so who knows what happened.

Short answer - olive oil is #1. 

But it's not always the right choice.  You don't want to use it in baked goods, for example, and it's too expensive to use for cooking any old thing.

Most sources agree that canola oil is #2. 

I guess I'd better start re-writing that hub now!

17. shriash profile image61

Thank u rochelle for giving the information about the grapeseed oil. Surprise to know about the nutrient value is more than the olive oil.

18. shriash profile image61

very informative liambean.Surprised to know about the ingredient in olive oil is the same of pain killer.

19. shriash profile image61

Last week I read about the coconut oil benefits.Believe it or not Coconut oil helps in weight loss.This is the news I got from that website.

20. gramon1 profile image60
    gramon1posted 14 years ago

Coconut oil fat is mostly omegas. Those are very good for us and help us reduce cholesterol. I would not cook with any oil, since cooked oils tend to hydrogenate, becoming as good as margarine (this means very bad).
    It is true that many fats help loose fat in your body. Omega 3 and 6, present in avocado, coconut, pure cocoa, nuts, shrimp, salmon, lobster, etc. reduce bad cholesterol, help loose fat, and are food for the brain. Myelin, the sheath that lubricates the brain requires omega 3 and 6 to be created.

21. shriash profile image61

You are welcome grammom with useful information about coconut oil.

22. SEO Expert Kerala profile image57
    SEO Expert Keralaposted 13 years ago

The best cooking oil is sunflower oil

bez  it contains low calories in it and not harmful to health to the people suffering from cholesterol and blood Pressure problem.

While taking sunflower oil, no harmful disease can attack me. Also I will have normal report for the blood pressure and cholesterol.

23. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

olive oli is thew best and has more benefits!

shriashposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Olive oil voted for. smile

24. crunchybetty profile image60
    crunchybettyposted 13 years ago

Coconut oil.
    Olive oil.

NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT CORN OIL (was that stressed enough)? Or vegetable oil. Or canola oil. (Especially NOT canola oil.)

Unrefined, cold-pressed oils are going to be the best - and never heat an oil until it scorches, it changes the molecular structure.

Overall, stay away from oils that are heated to a high degree, are "conglomerates" of different types of oil, or are, in general, manufactured by huge corporations.

And if you can get it, argan oil is both highly nutritious, and delicious. smile

25. Lady Rose profile image74
    Lady Roseposted 13 years ago

Cook with extra virgin cold pressed olive oil, coconut oil or sunflower seed oil. If at all possible, dont use oil to fry, just to add to your salads or already cooked dishes.

26. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

As in affairs of the heart, extra virgin is always the best

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yup extra virgin - it's the only one I use.  Hey Greek One - read your Caribanna hub! brings back more memories for me - what a party that is!  a friend of mine works on costumes all year long, every year, getting ready for it.

27. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 13 years ago

canola, sunflower,safflower, olive oil, peanut oil

28. saddlerider1 profile image57
    saddlerider1posted 13 years ago

I mainly use a Greek Olive Oil when I fry most things, and Peanut Oil when I cook Oriental. A smooth veggie oil when I do salads, sunflower and canola.

29. Ramona M profile image60
    Ramona Mposted 13 years ago

Walnut oil is just as healthy as olive oil, and frankly tastes better. You can use it in baking, too, and it makes a wonderful vinaigrette. Ask the French, who use it in their cooking.

30. profile image55
    EarthRemediesposted 13 years ago

Coconut Oil and Olive oil is great for consumption. However please avoid Canola Oil as much as it's touted as being healthy it really isn't. It is manufactured from the rape plant which is really toxic all that has been done is that scientist try to breed the toxicity out of the plant and then when they felt the toxicity is at a negligible quantity, it was then produced, packaged, and distributed to the public. It's one of these cheap low cost items similar to High Fructose Corn Syrup. Cheap, low cost,easy to produce and distribute. Great for the manufactures and producers who make lots and lots of money from the poor unsuspecting consumer.

31. profile image55
    EarthRemediesposted 13 years ago

When deciding on which type coconut oil to use always go for Cold Pressed Coconut Oil.

32. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

NOT olive oil. Cooking it changes it's chemical structure, rendering pretty much useless of nutritional value. You have to use oils that have a high heat tolerance if you're going to cook with oil.

Grape seed oil is inexpensive, retains its nutritional value and has a high heat tolerance.

Before you cook with any particular oil, do a little research on its heat tolerance first.

Olive oil is good for salad dressings, bread dipping and the like. Use it as it is.

33. Bexz profile image62
    Bexzposted 13 years ago

Canola oil or Vegetable oil when I fry fish or meat.  Olive oil for salad or pasta.  Never used peanut oil yet and its sounds interesting.  I may look into the benefit of using peanut oil.

34. MichelleArakaki profile image59
    MichelleArakakiposted 13 years ago

Olive Oil

1. Julie2 profile image59
      Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree Michelle, I use Extra Virgen Olive oil for everything. It has helped with reducing our cholesterol.

35. Lauries Barry profile image62
    Lauries Barryposted 13 years ago

Sunflower oil is healthy for our cardiovascular system. It contains ample amounts of vitamin E and high levels of the essential fatty acids which our body needs it aids in the removal of cholesterol and bring vigour to the brain. Sunflower oil has proven to be versatile and beneficial in many ways.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)