Site Update: my account, security questions, search auto complete

Jump to Last Post 51-89 of 89 discussions (147 posts)
  1. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 13 years ago

To echo what a lot of folks are saying, the usability of the stats page is now practically nil due to excessive scrolling and scrunching.  I keep wanting to work on articles, but can't bring myself to scan the page for long.  Please do what sunforged said and go in the other direction - make it more easily scannable, not less.  Function over beauty every time.

On a related note, I've noticed that when big websites with simple interfaces make improvements, many of those are decorative - more pictures, more aesthetics - but that often this doesn't translate to easier to use.  This latest update to HubPages and the new AdSense interface come to mind.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Damn!

Anyone disagree?

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

MY HEAVENS!!!

SMALLER TYPE/FONT PLEASE!!!

3. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Thanks!

4. paradigmsearch profile image61

Better.

Try one more.

Edit: Try 2 more less.

5. paradigmsearch profile image61

You know..., (The current format) kind of gives an awesome feeling...

Maybe just one size reduction. I don't know... smile

Edit: No, make it 2.

6. paradigmsearch profile image61

Browser FF makes text larger than IE.

7. sabrebIade profile image80
      sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

Yep...liking this much more.
      I'd like the 7 day stats as well but hey....LOL

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Am I the only person who can still see 7 day stats?

http://hubpages.com/u/4598664.jpg

1. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I never lost 7 day stats

1. profile image0

Me neither!

1. Michael Willis profile image68
              Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I lost the 7 days, but have the slideshow views. I like the slideshow views though since I have a lot of hits from pictures.

2. kerryg profile image84
            kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me neither. I haven't noticed any changes to my custom home page either.

8. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 13 years ago

They've widened the column on the stats page.

9. lakeerieartists profile image63
      lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Okay, this new change on the stats page is much better, but why not widen it even more?  Then each hub gets a single line and our scrolling finger has less arthritis?

smile

Love that it is centered now.  Isn't it wild how such a small thing can make a huge difference.  And thanks for bringing back the 7 days.  You guys are such good listeners.

10. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the change, Paul and the rest of the team. It is soooo much easier on the eyes now. You guys rock!

11. profile image0
      Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

These new "improvments" are the worst thing to happen at HubPages since I joined. The cr@p involved in updating profiles, trying to use the My Account page etc, etc, makes me want to log on less and less.
      How about actually asking members what they want, instead of telling them?

1. profile image0

Don't then, there are plenty of other revenue sharing sites; good luck finding one as good as Hubpages.

Seeing as most people seem to be supportive of this change, your point is mute. We have seen very clearly today that Hubpages is willing to listen to its members, as the statistics page was changed due to popular demand within the space of hours.

Tell me, have you ever emailed the team with suggestions? Why should they ask us, when the possibility is there for us to ask them?

1. agvulpes profile image86
          agvulpesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here-Here or Hear-Hear whichever you prefer :-)
          HubPages DO listen!
          Thanks for giving me back my '7day' stats.
          As one with eyes that are aging I am happy with the larger font size!
          I've now joined the list of Happy Campers

Psst. The 'broken links' icon at the bottom of the page is still missing.

12. profile image0
      SirDentposted 13 years ago

Not sure if the new updates have anything to do with it, but the homepage doesn't load for me anymore.  The old homepage does load but the new one refuses to load.  I am using IE9 and tried it on Firefox also and it still doesn't work.

13. paradigmsearch profile image61

Still large type.

14. Brie Hoffman profile image61
      Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

YEAH!!!!  Thanks Hubpages for making the STATS PAGE BIGGER AGAIN!!!!  I feel like an Egyptian smile

15. Brie Hoffman profile image61
      Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

OK, well maybe not quite like an Egyptian but you know what I mean smile

16. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 13 years ago

Thank you, now it looks much better.

Is there any way to find comments made by us as in the old stats page? I think it has been missed.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's on the activity menu, here:

http://hubpages.com/my/activity/commented-on

1. profile image0
          TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much. On the first look I have missed that.

17. paradigmsearch profile image61

"I should write about this...."

18. KCC Big Country profile image85
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I don't think I ever lost the 7 day stats either.  Anyway, I do like the new improved wider version on the stats page.  It's so much better than yesterday's scrunched up version.  Thanks, Paul!

1. sabrebIade profile image80
        sabrebIadeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I have 1,7 and 30 now so I'm happy!

19. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

Talk about responsive! 

Thanks so much for listening to us and fixing the Stats page, I'm a happy camper now smile

20. agvulpes profile image86
      agvulpesposted 13 years ago

Probably a dumb question but can someone tell me if there is a link to get back to my 'Home' page? wink

21. Dr. Amilia profile image39
      Dr. Amiliaposted 13 years ago

You should have an option where if there is a comment so we should be made aware of it. Like you know when there is message in the inbox.

22. humagaia profile image58
      humagaiaposted 13 years ago

Credit where credit is due.
      I wake up this morning (in UK) and the major issue most had with the changes, i.e. loss of info against the stats (width issues) has been addressed, certainly to my satisfaction.
      I am mindful that the recent change to the stats section may have been made (badly) so that the change (back) made us happy and caused us to gloss over our disappointment with the remainder of the changes - but then I am a cynic.
      Although the new Homepage I get looks pretty, it basically has nothing that I really want (well, not really nothing, but very little). My major issue now is that ALL of my customized homepage information and structure has completely disappeared and I am unable to resurrect it, as the 'customize' option and 'add widget' option seem to have been disabled.
      Although not specifically stated by HP, I do hope that effort has now been transferred to this issue now that the stats issue has been addressed to most hubbers satisfaction.
      But, as I said earlier, credit where credit is due and thanks HP for listening to those that matter to you (us hubbers).
      I am all for change that takes us forward. As a former designer of software systems, including user-to-computer interfaces, my suggestion would be that you, perhaps, undertake some consultation with your customers next time (not after the event, which causes more work for you).
      My suggestion: place the design of the proposed changes in a section within HP that can be referred to from a Forum post, such as this, against which your customers can accept the changes or make constructive criticisms and alternative suggestions.
      The end result of this type of interaction is less work for you, less backlash if the changes prove less than acceptable, and a nice warm feeling for your customers who then believe that they are a part of the HP family, in that they are consulted and thereby feel that their constructive ideas are taken into the production of a better user interface.
      You get it right 95% of the time. Occasionally you get it a little awry. On this occasion you have fallen within the 5%, but you have redeemed yourselves somewhat. But that 5% causes your customers to become frustrated and angst-ridden. Talk to us and allow us to contribute (there are many here that have solid software design backgrounds I am sure) so that the 5% becomes just 0.5%.
      Leverage the resources that you have at your fingertips (us). Put crowdsourcing to work to your best advantage - we are all here to help (at no cost) - what more could a 'family' HP site require?

23. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 13 years ago

Thanks, guys! Much easier to read now!

24. To Start Again profile image70
      To Start Againposted 13 years ago

Thank you for making the stats bigger!! Much better!! big_smile

25. sabrebIade profile image80
      sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

Yes, HP listens to it's users!
      Unlike YouTube that doesn't care what you think when they make a change...LOL

26. KarinaKate profile image60
      KarinaKateposted 13 years ago

Thanks so much for the changes to the stats page.

27. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I did not like the first iteration of the stats, but it is now much improved and better than the old.

28. gypsumgirl profile image71
      gypsumgirlposted 13 years ago

I like the changes...thanks!

29. KarinaKate profile image60

Although I'm relieved to these the stats page back to being functional, I still have a concern about all these categories.

If the HUBS powers-that-be are convinced our stats pages needs more organization, I would much prefer to be able to have hubs arranged by my own groups that I've created, or by a tag I have chosen myself.

The multitude of categories to wade through is very cumbersome, especially when they are broken down to such detail. For instance I have hubs on several different items of jewelry, but the categories are broken down by rings, pendants, etc., creating a time-consuming search effort on my part that is a pain. I understand that when I set up the hub maybe I broke down the categories this way, but I never dreamed that doing this would at some point present such a problem. I would like any hub that has anything to do with jewelry be in a category called just "jewelry." I there a way I can go back and make this change myself?

Even though I don't have a lot of hubs (yet), I still can't figure out where one or two of them is. Okay, I haven't yet had an extra 20 minutes this morning to figure this out (a tree on my property feel into a neighbor's yard, and now I have to leave on my out-of-town weekend trip...) but why should I even need one minute? The stats page was just fine the way it was. I could just glance at the page and do a quick run-through of the numbers I want to see.

If someone knows how I can alter the categories and make them more streamlined, please let me know. I'll check back here when I get to my destination in three hours.

30. AliciaC profile image92
      AliciaCposted 13 years ago

Thank you very much for responding to people's requests. The new version of the stats page is much easier to read than the original update.

31. Peggy W profile image95
      Peggy Wposted 13 years ago

Is anyone having problems with the photo capsule actually showing photos?

1. Peggy W profile image95
        Peggy Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is now working.  I wanted to delete some and it was not showing them earlier in the day.

32. KarinaKate profile image60

Well, I figured out how to change my categories so there aren't so many, so I'm happy.

However, the new format still seems more cumbersome than the old one. This doesn't at all change the fact that Hubpages is a great place.

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you also see that you can call up the Hubs in one of your own groups by using the filters on the My Account statistics page?  It's a great feature and it may help with what you need.

1. KarinaKate profile image60
          KarinaKateposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I found this feature, and it is indeed a good one.

Thanks for your helpful post.

33. paradigmsearch profile image61

A separate note: HP’s use of https is really slowing things down for me...

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But it lets you log in securely from untrusted places..

2. paradigmsearch profile image61

I’ve also noticed, even before the upgrade, that a whole bunch of outside domain names are accessed every time I go to the accounts page.

3. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Did you guys change the ability to edit my profile? The type is extra tiny. When I try to make a change it won't let me.

Is it just me? It's not that big a deal if I never change it. But I can't get it to work.

4. RedElf profile image90
        RedElfposted 13 years ago

Most of the new stuff looks pretty spiffy, though I, like sunforged, would  prefer a plain stats page. No bugs yet, but just got online again (been away  for a few days).

Small bug - interface is not remembering my choice of un-checking the "Email me if someone replies to this post" check-box, and is insisting on the default "checked" - so I have to un-check it every time. Any help?

5. profile image0
        Multimanposted 13 years ago

The major [problem I have with the new features of this is that to get to my tracking codes i got to go around my armbit and have my you know what, instead of just clickin on the track I have to click earnings and then click on track, when I am doing back links this is inconvient as all get out.  Otherwise its all cool.

6. paradigmsearch profile image61

Fyi to OP.

Some folks are reporting that they are unable to update their profiles.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/67419

7. Michael Willis profile image68
        Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

I lost the Slideshow daily and overall view count on My Account page last evening. I really like the way the stats table has expanded the hub titles.

Is there going to be a place added where we can see the slideshow/pictures numbers? Or a filter added such a groups or category on the stats page maybe to see pictures/slideshow numbers?

1. oliversmum profile image88
          oliversmumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have also lost my 'slide show views' but the overall count is still showing! smilesmile

Now that is weird!  All my views are still there. No problem wink

1. Michael Willis profile image68
              Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All of mine were still there until last night and then "Poof!"

I have just checked in and now and as you say 'poof' my slide views have gone up in smoke? Can anyone see their 'slide view' figures? smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)