Can anyone identify this tool?

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (62 posts)
  1. Christoph Reilly profile image68
    Christoph Reillyposted 15 years ago

This tool came into my possession over 10 years ago.  Over the years I have shown it to many "self proclaimed" tool experts and no one has been able to identify it. If you know (or have a guess, funny or otherwise) please identify this tool.

Our own HubPages Tom Rubinoff, also a self-described tool expert thinks he may be able to do it.  Can you?

Ok. The tool is approximately 6 inches long.  It is held open by a spring.  When you squeeze it, it closes about half-way, but will not close all the way, like you would expect from a wire stripping tool.

http://hubpages.com/u/977049_f260.jpg

This is the top side. Note the phillips screw head sticking out of the side (top of picture.)

http://hubpages.com/u/977052_f260.jpg

Here is the view of the bottom and the "teeth."

http://hubpages.com/u/977051_f260.jpg

Can you identify it?  I don't know either.

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's an accofranco!

While considered rare you'll find that it's a tool that is quite prolific.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL now the question is what is screw for in acco?

1. mandybeau profile image59
          mandybeauposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but I am sure that this tool, if only we knew what it was, would have some purpose, Possibly industrial, What purpose accofranco has, the mind boggles.
          Getting his grotty little paws on peoples information, seems to be my reasoning for his existence.

Christoph Reillyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mandybeau,  Actually, the mystery was solved by Rochelle Frank.  It is a pecan nut cracker.

2. Eric Graudins profile image60
        Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You nearly made me spew scotch all over the keyboard of my laptop!

2. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 15 years ago

LOL, CR! Ten years is a long time to be holding onto a tool you don't even know the name of!!! Have you used it for anything?

This query reminds me of the segment on This Old House where one of the guys asks, "What is it?" and the others come up with humorous uses for odd-looking tools and devices.

Being the major tool I am (or used to be in school -- not so much anymore), here's my submission:

It's an alligator wrench.

3. cindyvine profile image67
    cindyvineposted 15 years ago

Okay, that was designed by that Bobbitt woman, think it might have been in the nineties or was it the eighties, for use on cheating husbands.  This was after her foiled attempt to dis-member her husband failed when it was stitched back on.  You handcuff the man to the bed, sit astride him and gently ease his penis which is now flaccid with fear and thus easy to manoevre into the open bit where the teeth are.  The woman has to count slowly to ten to maximise the anguish the man is going through as he debates in his mind whether or not she will enforce the punishment.  Then, just before saying eleven, the woman clamps down hard on the little handle thinks and crimps the flaccid penis with the tool.  It's called a flaccid penis crimper and is available in most software shops.  The penis is not hard enough to find it in a hardware shop.

4. profile image0
    C. C. Riterposted 15 years ago

I am not sure, but it looks like a metalsmiths tool for crimping holes in tin. I'm sure I'm wrong tho'. Will need to investigate this one if Tom can't ID it. thanks for the puzzle Chris

5. cindyvine profile image67

Hey, you not talking to me today, CC?

6. profile image0

Well, shut my mouth. hey there China Doll. how they hanging today? hehe

7. cindyvine profile image67

Hiya, cannot sit all day hubbing today.  Tomb Sweeping is over, my ayi is here cleaning up the disaster area, so I must get out.  Root canal at dentist then Doc's appointment in the afternoon.  Other than that, okay hahaha

1. LondonGirl profile image82
      LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't sound nice, hope all goes as well as it can!

8. laringo profile image61
    laringoposted 15 years ago

This tool is for pulling teeth when you've already reached your annual dental procedures allowed under your insurance plan.(Hey, don't laugh. It's possible.

9. cindyvine profile image67

ahhhhh Don't remind me, am going for the rest of my root canal with the local Chinese dentist!

10. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 15 years ago

Yep, MM, that's what it looks like.  It's used for gripping square headed bolts or fasteners.  If it did close all the way, it might have been that Bobbitt tool Cindyvine mentioned.

11. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

I'm thinking it may be some kind of nutcracker. The set screw holds the nut in place, the blades pierce the shell without squishing the inner nutmeat. Maybe for Pecans?
    Maybe SinDevine was close.

12. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 15 years ago

I thought it might be a cable stripper, but if so it would need to be rotated to cut the outer cover.It looks too sharp to be a crimping tool, I have many tools, but this is not amongst them.
    My dear old dad would have known for sure.

13. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

You're all wrong.

This tool is a replica of a much finer tool found in the White House and on the House and Senate floor, it's used to persuade objects of the wooden persuasion from the rear ends of politician's friends.

14. Mighty Mom profile image78

I think, based on the shape of the teeth, this tool could also be used for removing square pegs from round holes!!

15. cindyvine profile image67

I like that MM!  Could also be used in the white house for removing cigars

16. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 15 years ago

Out of the way people, push over, You guys are all wrong, this is easy those are thin-ing shears for the extra thick haired.You the Sasquash and Yeti...

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hmm... maybe. Possibly, you don't see many of these because it's so hard to get Sashquasches and Yetis to hold still for the procedure.

17. cindyvine profile image67

Maybe it's a castration tool for racehorse breeders?

I'm still thinking pecans.

18. cindyvine profile image67

Thanks Londongirl, am not looking forward to the injection at all.  I HATE THE DENTIST!  Especially when they don't speak English!

19. Mighty Mom profile image78

Hmm. Cindy's root canal brings to mind another possible use for this tool. It's a tooth extractor for sharks.

20. Christoph Reilly profile image68

Ha, ha.  I don't think anyone has it yet.  Mighty Mom, you had me going for a minute with Alligator wrench.  There is such a thing, but I saw a picture and it is nothing like this.  In answer to your question, I am holding on to it because I am a pack rat and not knowing what it is makes me hold onto it tighter.  I have used it to loosen very tight bottle caps, but this is clearly not it's purpose.

I hope to god that Cindyvine is not correct, and I hope I never piss her off. Remember, the teeth do not actually ever close all the way. They do not come into contact with each other. As tight as it can be squeezed, it still is only about half-way towards being fully closed, so you would not detach the penis but would leave some nasty teeth marks!  Ouch!

I still think you have not considered my sssuggestion ssseriously.

21. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 15 years ago

So if ya ever do find out, you'll let us know???  Or maybe write a hub about it?????????  ;D

22. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

mmmmmm..... maybe it is used for pulling the sheathing back on electrical wiring???? are the spaces different sizes??? Or it is one of those tools that everyone used in the 80's to zip up there zipper after they jumped into those pants...lololololl:D

1. The Captain profile image61
      The Captainposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, AE.  Nope. Not a wire stripper. The teeth don't come close enough together for that, and as close as you can get them together, they still are in the shape of a V.  The 80's zipper thing is a possibility!  hahahahh

And yes, JamaGenee.  I will tell you what it is!

Whoops.  Wrong avatar!  Ha!

1. JamaGenee profile image78
        JamaGeneeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Plenty of places you can go for help for that dual personality...uh, avatar issue. lol Or just stay here at HP with the rest of us who like you no matter which avatar you use!  cool

23. profile image0

It's a castration tool for pigs

24. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85

It looks as if there is a slight curve in the teeth so it must close over something kind of oval...

25. my-success-guru profile image57
    my-success-guruposted 15 years ago

No I can't identify it but it looks like it would really hurt if it clamped down on you. LOL

26. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 15 years ago

Christoph, you must have known where this would go. smile

27. spryte profile image74
    spryteposted 15 years ago

Hmmm....it's some sorta wood shaving/shaping tool mebbe?

Obviously you can replace those toothy blades since they are screwed on.  It doesn't close all the way...so it's not a crimper.  Only thing I can think of it's a groover....

28. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85

How about the pliers that they use to trim off the horns of goats and sheep?

29. Cris A profile image60
    Cris Aposted 15 years ago

Oh let's be done with this and call it CT - Christoph's Tool! Though I must admit I don't think I can say "hand me over CT!" cool

30. Tom Rubenoff profile image87
    Tom Rubenoffposted 15 years ago

I am stumped.  I have seen a lot of strange pliers in my time - leather working pliers, tongs, what have you - but nothing like this that I recall. 

It is made to hold and perforate, it looks like.  The removeable blades act like a shelf to hold an object still so that it can be worked on, but these same blades have beveled edges that indicate to me they would be used to cut. 

I believe they were designed to be used on some kind of leather or fabric.  They do not appear so sturdy as to be used for metal working, although they have a kind of similar structure to some blacksmith tongs.

31. my-success-guru profile image57
    my-success-guruposted 15 years ago

No still can't but I'll keep trying

32. Christoph Reilly profile image68

Rochelle:  Yeah..about the pecan thing. I spent an hour trying to screw the pecan into the thing and just can't get it.

Hi Spryte: I just looked a a lot of different type of groovers. It doesn't resemble any that I saw, but there were lots of different kinds, so ????

Thanks JamaGenee. You are too kind!

33. JamaGenee profile image78

Could just email the pics to the guys at This Old House!  Bet they'd know.

Christoph Reillyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have considered that, but they might want the thing to put it on their show!  I would have to part with...THE THING!

34. Christoph Reilly profile image68

Well, if Tom Rubenoff doesn't know....

If it is wood working, maybe RMR knows. He is quite an accomplished leather worker. Wrote a hub about it.

Thanks Cris. Christoph's Tool as a certain ring to it.

Success guru: Thanks for trying.

1. my-success-guru profile image57
      my-success-guruposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Call Tim The Tool Man, or maybe his neighbor behind the fence. Tim knows tools and the other guy hmmm (tell me his name again) seems to have all the answers. LOL

2. Cris A profile image60
      Cris Aposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Now I'm bothered. Christoph's Tool has a ring to it? A ring?! cool

35. Rochelle Frank profile image91

I found it!
    Nobody paid any attention to me-- but I guessed and then found this:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= … G%26um%3D1

and:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= … rt=10&
    um=1&tbnid=avM-GHf0RxllBM:&tbnh=60&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnut%2Bpliers%2Bpecan%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1

36. Rochelle Frank profile image91

I found more--

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= … G%26um%3D1

"The patented Texan "York" Nut Sheller operates by means of a pliers-type handle, with sharp teeth to bite off the ends and sides of the nut, producing perfect halves.  A shield directs the falling hulls into a container, keeping your countertop tidy.  In addition to being a pecan cracker, it works on Brazil Nuts, English Walnuts, Filberts, Almonds and other nuts.   You can also remove the shield and use it on lobster and crab claws.

The ideal gift for someone who has everything!"

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= … 0%26um%3D1

37. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Wow Rochelle, I think you just earned the title of Tool Queen! smile

I just love to google....
      after looking at the thing that 'didn't close completely" i had to guess that it was designed for cracking a shell without damaging the innards-- that's why the castration theory didn't hold up for me.

Actually I think the quote I posted applied to another similar gizmo-- but the other photo does look quite similar.

1. profile image0
        C. C. Riterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, i was close on the pig nut cracker. haha good job girl

38. JamaGenee profile image78

WOOHOO Rochelle!  You're GOOD!!  Applause, applause!!

39. mayhmong profile image76
    mayhmongposted 15 years ago

Its a dinglehopper!

Everyone already took my answer?!

40. Christoph Reilly profile image68

I bow to you, Rochelle. Unbelievable. We used to bring home big bags of pecans when I was a kid. Never saw a cracker that looked like this though.  Well done!

Pecan party at my house!

41. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 15 years ago

Rochelle must win a group hug for that effort.  Mwah mwah.

42. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

As any idiot could tell you, it's a thingamejig. Also known as a whatjacallit.

43. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85

WOOOOHOOO Rochelle saves the day.Rochelle the queen of tools. Has a nice ring to it.. or does it?
    To be honest I liked my thinning hair cutting scissors for the Yeti better but I guess everyone seem to like your theory better (we won't consider the picture evidence)

This was fun. Anyone else have other unidentified object?

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've got something that will keep you non-Aussies guessing!
      I'll drag it out of storage tomorrow and post a pic.

44. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 15 years ago

It's a pubic hair tong, gets them curlies even curlier!!

45. Florida Keys profile image65
    Florida Keysposted 15 years ago

Nah it's a noodle maker for making large spaghetti noodles....impressive Rochelle...but it was a lot more fun to speculate before you solved the mystery.  LOL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)