Time to leave Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (71 posts)
  1. canadawest99 profile image61
    canadawest99posted 13 years ago

I like writing at hubpages but seriously the site has 2 large disadvantages now.

First is the SERP slap by google.  This is one of the 50 top sites and it got a nasty slap with traffic down nearly 50%.  Who knows where it will come back to if it ever does.

The second disadvantage is hubpages policy on backlinking.  I have done some moderate bookmarking of my hubs only to have them flagged and removed by the admins.  If I can't backlink, how can I promote anything?

I was able to live without backlinking because Hubpages still had lots of organic traffic, but now that its lost some of that and backlinking is not allowed, the result could be terrible.

1. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you must fib.

"Moderate" backlinking would not cause any action by admins.

2. Bronson_Hub profile image59
      Bronson_Hubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you go, can I have your stuff?

3. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You've got over 600 hubs, been here 2 years, and have yet to surpass 100,000 views?  I don't think the new changes will make much difference in your views.  lol

4. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Save your hubs and good luck in your offline endeavours smile

5. worldblackstar profile image60
      worldblackstarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i hate the hubpages because of its score system.  Also they blocked my hubs eventhough it is unique.  As you said, there is no way to promote my site also.

2. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

L
    a
    t
    e
    r
    s

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I don't suspect that we will see you again if the SERPS position improves again then?

1. canadawest99 profile image61
      canadawest99posted 13 years agoin reply to this

As far as I am concerned, my 5000 articles on 5 sites can do what they want now.  If they earn, great, if not doesn't matter.   I don't need another fight on my hands trying to please companies that control everything.   I've got a real bricks and mortar business that should demand more attention anyway.   At least its in the free market without someone like google setting the agenda.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Concentrating on your bricks and mortar business sounds like a good policy to me.

4. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Give it a bit more time. Maybe start rewriting your best stuff for publication elsewhere, but if you unpublish now and lose everything you've put in, that's irreversible and you may regret it later.

5. ThomasE profile image68
    ThomasEposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't do anything too rash. Wait and see how it all pans out.

6. skyfire profile image77
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

matane

7. ns1209 profile image62
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

Go if you want to - but you might as well leave your content up, you will still earn a little and deleting will not do any good and would be more effort than doing nothing!

8. TheOneWhoKnows profile image57
    TheOneWhoKnowsposted 13 years ago

You are 2 years on Hubpages,I'm sure that you have some income?
    Don't let it disappear, think about it again.

9. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

Good bye! smile

10. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

I wish you well whatever your decision, but just hope that this isn't the start of a lot of dramatic flouncing off threads

Nobody HAS to flounce.

You could walk off, shaking your head ruefully or staring back longingly..  though I really would suggest the type of exit that leaves you with your head still inside the door, hanging on to the edge with one hand so that you can pop right back if the weather changes tomorrow (which it probably will).

1. ThomasE profile image68
        ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have absolutely not flounced away from ezinearticles.com, but won't be posting there again until the weather turns.

Hubpages.com is a different matter. I quite like the site. So I am likely to hang around and try to make it better.

It's not perfect but it has potential.

2. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that nobody has to flounce, but plenty do it.

I can't see any need to go anywhere, if someone chooses not to write anymore hubs that may prove to benefit them in the long run, but unless you know that you can move your hubs somewhere else where they will outperform being on HubPages, what is the point of taking them down?

2. Randy Godwin profile image59

Ah, a new Hub idea!  " Best and Most Proper Methods of Flouncing Off a Content Site."  lol

Illustrated, I hope.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59

I have personally never flounced from a site.   I was once booted and given no chance of experiencing the feeling of a well exhibited flounce.  I certainly wouldn't want to flounce improperly!  smile

I think you need to be wearing a dress (or very loose pants) to perform a proper flounce..

1. 2uesday profile image65
              2uesdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you would need to be cautious of flouncing if you are wearing both at the same time. smile

Loose shoelaces can also turn a flounce into a tragedy.  This is one of the reasons I recommend slippers (the other is that the noise from shoes can interfere with the audience hearing your whimpering).

1. 2uesday profile image65
                  2uesdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Also one should be aware of trap doors being left open on stage as this can turn a dramatic scene into a pantomime.

BTW This comment is not about the OP it is just my sense of humour about the word flounce.

Trap doors?

I totally forgot about those..

2. Randy Godwin profile image59

Wow PC, perhaps you'd be better at publishing that hub.  It is obvious to me I am not experienced enough to write about flouncing.  Nor do I have the wardrobe for it!.  lol

11. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 13 years ago

Much ado about nothing! Yes, things are down, but they always go down when this happens. I see this as the opportunity for Hubpages to make some drastic changes to content that really is of low quality. I for one am staying and going to continue to publish hubs. I finally have some other things in place and will be getting back to this full-time. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

12. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 13 years ago

Of my 124 hubs, three account for half of my page views. The other 121 for the other half. The Google revision has boosted my top three and randomized the rest. Overall views are up, by about 10%.  They probably know what they're doing. But I don't care much. 95% of my income comes from the real job wink

13. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

i'm not going anywhere until I get my first Adsense payout!

I've waited 20 months for it.. what's 20 more years?

14. tonymac04 profile image71
    tonymac04posted 13 years ago

Ek dak nie, ek polla hier!
    Ask another South African!

1. Greek One profile image62
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can;t marry you.. but thanks for the compliment!  smile

15. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

I've flounced off a site before, but it was seven years ago - a whole lifetime in Internet terms lol

16. emdi profile image62
    emdiposted 13 years ago

Patience is a virtue my dear friends.

17. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

i used to flounce all the time during puberty, but I don't have to anymore since I got married

1. profile image0
      Linda Myshrallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You put that away right now!

but my socks are too tight for it to fit sad

1. profile image0

uhhhhh....  (blush)  I got nothing...  good grief...

To the OP, hang around a bit.  It'll probably pick up.

"hang around a bit.  It'll probably pick up"...

I used to use that line when I was in puberty too tongue

1. profile image0

A.  At what stage of the flouncing did that phrase come in handy?

and

B.  Am I now subject to copyright infringements?

smile

A) oh i used that line just before the flouncing.. as soon as they got fed up and left the room..

B) EVERYTHING is ALWAYS subject to copyright infringements!

2. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are not too old to try Pcunix's flouncing in a frock with loose knickers technique?

18. accofranco profile image79
    accofrancoposted 13 years ago

Goodbye is the saddest word i ever hear, you were among the best hubbers...now you want to say goodbye...it hurts me to hear you system good......bye!!!!!

19. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

If you're leaving because of Google, then you're being a bit hasty. If you're leaving because you're not earning, then it's obvious your 600 hubs have only proven that quantity doesn't beat quality, with regards to earnings.

But, I think if you can manage the time, to review and edit your hubs, learn a little bit more about SEO and such. Plus, putting other things into action, might actually turn you a profit in the end.

Just my thoughts. Good luck either way.

A bit?

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You call it what you want and I will their action what I want. roll WOW! lol

I'm just joking about your calm  understatement smile

20. Pente profile image76
    Penteposted 13 years ago

I love watching some of the extreme overreactions. I have been slapped hard by google usa. But is it time to quit HB?

Absolutely not! It has only been a couple days and I have already noticed that some of my traffic has returned. Even if all my traffic drops by 50% or 80%, that is still not reason to quit.

The HubPage staff make a living from this site and it is strongly in their best interest to start fixing some of the problems and keep the cash flowing. Google could make some adjustment a month or even a year later that suddenly boosts HP.

If you really think things have gotten bad, just do something else for a few months and put HP on the back burner for a while. It certainly can't hurt. I spent a few hours today registering a new domain and setting it up. Diversity is good.

The one thing that is certain working online is constant change.

21. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

I have had a strange phenomonon. My google US traffic has dropped but my adsense has improved over the past week.  I have never received the adsense numbers equal to what I have received through this week.

22. wingedcentaur profile image65
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

There is something that I know is well known to all, but nevertheless bears repeating, I think. We must understand that "this," being the Internet, has billions of people on it. There's a lot of stuff to wade through.

An Internet writing site such as this has innumerable other venues to compete with to grab the public's attention both online and offline. There's the innumerable online video games, even some that are virtual worlds, I understand. There's news, sports, and public affairs sites. There's innumerable social networking sites. There's YouTube! And so on and so forth.

There are innumerable so ons and so forths on the Internet as well. One can try getting the best "tags," promoting his hubs on Facebook, or something like that. You can do moderate backlinking and so on. But the underlying structural reality is that this is the Internet. There's only so much you can do.

I understand that I'm not very technically savvy but I don't see how leaving HubPages for another site would alter the reality of the Internet. Now, I understand Google has done something with the SERP, whatever that is, and HP has done some technical adjustment that most of the posters on this thread seem satisfied with; the idea seems to be that "it all balances out in the end," and so forth.

And I'm sure it is well understood that HP or any other Internet cannot be depended upon for a regular, livable income, largely due to the very nature of the Internet.

One thing: I remember "hearing" a long time ago that the thing you want to do is write "evergreen" content, that will be of interest over a long period of time, perhaps "indefinitely" (as indefinitely as anything is in cyberspace. Traffic might be lagging now but if you're writing evergreen content, you may be "down" but never "out," as it were.

Good Luck, whatever you decide!

23. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

If you're going to make an exit make a real one instead of going on and on about it and then popping back in a month later as if nothing happened.  But don't delete your hubs.

1. profile image0

Hal Licino has set the benchmark for best way to leave the site. Publish your 2500th hubpage, walk away, never come back, not even to approve comments. He now does something else, but has a probably substantial revenue stream.

I wondered about that. On one of his hubs, he said he wasn't making any money from HP, which seems almost impossible..

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I doubt it. One of the reasons Hal left was he was not making enough money. His hubs were (are) awesome, but unprofitable. He hung around for a while and banged out some commercial stuff but was unhappy at how hard it was to monetize passionate, quality content.

As we all are. wink

1. profile image0

Oh right hmm

Having said that, I can remember seeing his 1000th hub, which showed that he was making less than $10 per day... which I remember thinking "I make that from my first 100".

I suspect that he will still see maturity though, even with this algo change, so he will probably make a decent enough amount at some stage?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

Well - your faith is touching, but I have been here a while and just seen my "mature" hubs tank along with my newer ones.

I am hoping - as all I see in the search results as a searcher is garbage - that this change will be refined some what and this is not the new reality.

2. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which certainly confirms that good content finds it way up all by itself, during author lifespan. And Hals content is hands down one of the best on this site. big_smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

True enough - he had enormous amounts of page views on some of his stuff. But - making money on it is another question.

1. Misha profile image62
              Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah, most talented writers died poor... I guess this is how things work...

2. Pcunix profile image92

I've only read a small percentage of his hubs, but some of them should do well.

If he had tremendous page views, that is contrary to Misha's implied assertion that good content needs artificial backlinking. 

Making money is a different issue, but honestly I'm surprised that he hasn't done better - and maybe he has - he had only been here about a year and had half the hubs when he wrote http://hubpages.com/hub/Hals-40-Best-Go … e-Earnings

I wonder what he'd show if he wrote the same subject today.

24. Ritsos profile image40
    Ritsosposted 13 years ago

I'm planning for the future .. I'm going to write obituaries for people who haven't died yet :-) .. actually I bet someone already has done lol

1. profile image0

I actually have the autographs of several very old famous people, they will be appearing on eBay with seconds of death. I know that sounds bad, but hell that's business sense!

25. profile image52
    Diggin4Truthposted 13 years ago

Three thoughts...

1. Watch for google to come out with a competing service to hubpages. Otherwise they would be going after other sites like ehow which apparently was not google slapped.

2. The hubpages management should add additional affiliate programs we can sign up with.
    Can they work out a deal with say... clickbank? Or some of the other pay for click services?

3. Maybe hubpages would want to start advertising itself as it's own search engine. It could start it's own pay-per-click program.

Unfortunately, when you put all your eggs in one basket with a constantly moving target, you lose.

What do you think Blogger is?

1. skyfire profile image77
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages is not a blog. You can compare Google Knol with hubpages.

I don't even think Google knows what Knol is smile

26. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

To all who have chosen this past week to flounce, I toss rose petals at you as you depart.

I'm quite contented to stay and keep doing what I've been doing, especially with the new, in-house ad program. (disclosure:  yes, I was/am part of the initial test group)

27. wirul profile image41
    wirulposted 13 years ago

I'd checked that hubpages currently have more traffic than ezine articles, does it means that hubpages rank in google well? big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)