I've just served Hubpages with 6 DMCA notices...

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (79 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

This makes me angry. Six weeks ago I flagged two hubs which were copied from my own hubpages, in the second flag I said something like "you know what, all of his hubpages are stolen from other hubbers, please delete this account".

I just realised that these hubs HAVE NOT been removed. Why, therefore, should I bother hopping? Or flagging? I'll leave it to you lot.

I have just spent 20 minutes serving hubpages with 6 DMCA complaints, all from this same user. This is why I think that a shock to the system is GOOD for Hubpages in the long run.

It felt strange, but it had to be done.

UPDATE: The team jumped on it, deleted the users hubs and the account, case solved. Apology given, apology duly accepted, case solved.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am curious how the Hub got published in the first place?

2. 2besure profile image79
      2besureposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It takes a while to send the link to Google for it to be investigated.  HubPages can not delete someones account.  When someone plagiarized your work, you should contact Google first, with the proof of the dated your work was originated. If the person is a constant offender, his Google account will be banned. I know it is difficult, but you have to prove to Google that you are the original author.  Hope you get the situation resolved soon.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

1. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

fo sure , tobesure!

2. 2besure profile image79

Ryan, it is not necessary to be rude, because you don't agree with me or you feel my information is not correct.  That was the procedure the writers at eHow had to go through when our work was stolen.  I still hope you situation is resolved quickly.

1. profile image0

I wasn't being rude, I was being factual.

What do Google have to do with a Hubpage? By all means email Google when you find a copied Hubpage, they will laugh at you.

What do Google do after you have contacted them? Go on, entertain me. So, after I contact Google to tell them that a fellow hubber has stolen by Hubpage, what happens next?

Do Google file a DMCA request to Hubpages for me? lol I can dream.

If you want a loaf of bread where do you go? The baker. If you want a pound of mince where do you go? The butcher. If I want a hubpage removed from Hubpages I can tell you that I most definitely don't go to Google.

1. 2besure profile image79
              1. profile image0

You have linked the contact form to report stolen content on Google Blogger and site.google.com.

At no stage did I mention Google sites or Google blogger in my original post.

I am referring to content which has been stolen and hosted on Hubpages. Do you understand now?

1. 2besure profile image79

I stand corrected.  Again, I still hope you get justice.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

2besure, the procedure is wrong.

First of all, it's irrelevant to this example, because Ryan was reporting that one of his Hubs had been copied on HubPages itself.  Clearly, it would be stupid for a HubPages member to go complaining to Google about something that can be resolved in-house.

Second of all, if you find one of your articles copied on another site, Google should not be your first resort.  Your first resort is to issue a notice to the webmaster, and give them a chance to remove the offending articles.  If they don't respond within a reasonable time, then you complain to Google.

It's considered etiquette to give the webmaster a chance before destroying their livelihood...

However, if they're obviously a spammer rather than just a misguided newbie, you might go straight to Google as Nelle suggests!

2. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages can delete Hubber accounts who steal content from other Hubbers. And, that's what I think Ryan is dealing with. wink

3. Michael Willis profile image68
        Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you not read the part where Ryan said the Copied hubs are on Hubpages? So, Hubpages can delete the account!

3. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When you flag a hub it says just below the button at the bottom:

Copyright violation?If this Hub copies content owned by you without your permission, please follow these instructions for filing a DMCA request.

We require a valid complaint in order to remove something under the DMCA, and we respond to DMCA notices typically in less than 24 hours.   Simply flagging something is not sufficient.  If you flag it we will review the hub for compliance with our rules, and we may be able to unpublished on that basis, but that's not nearly as strong as sending the proper notice.

1. profile image0

OK cheers Paul, I did notice that this time (hence the DMCA requests).

It just felt a bit strange sending Hubpages a DMCA for the removal of a copied Hubpage, but no sweat.

It would be good if the duplicate content filter could pick up internally copied content though (or indeed, identify this at publishing stage).

As no duplicate content will be permitted in the near future, I assume that your system will be configured to notice such instances of theft?

Cheers for the mug by the way, the exact right size for my coffee machine wink

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey why did you get a mug and the rest of us didn't? Have you joined the Elite?

1. profile image0

Because I flew 5700 miles, hopped onto a San Francisco tram, got lost for a while, and then wandered into their office wink I got a couple of t-shirts and a mug, which clearly beat my plan of stealing a Hubpages branded pen or mousemat lol

I do have a hubpage on that actually, its called 'Hubpages HQ' if you want to check it out.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Just call me Dora in future sad

Edit: it was Dora? film..Finding Nemo?

1. profile image0

What does that mean? Is that a Scottish phrase?

1. IzzyM profile image87

Cross post...short-term memory loss - forgot you were out there! smile

1. profile image0

Lol, I did google it, but was still none the wiser wink

The mug is ace (not wanting to make anybody jealous), the hubpages team have their names on theirs I believe.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
                rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's Dory. I've seen it so many times.. big_smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqDZf3sm … re=related

1. IzzyM profile image87

Duh! *slaps head*

Of course it is Dory - loved that character - didn't mean to become her!

2. Maddie Ruud profile image73
          Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, we will now be unpublishing all Hubs that are duplicated at the time of publication (either within HubPages or externally), going forward.

1. profile image0

Tremendous, I look forward to it smile

4. CARIBQUEEN profile image63
      CARIBQUEENposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is good that you were justified. I can imagine how irritating it was for you to see duplicated material from other hubs. Lazy and dishonest persons are prone to do this.

2. Haunty profile image72
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

EXACTLY! Two days ago I reported a troll who's been harassing hubbers on their hubs. Provided links to look into etc. He is still there, doing the same.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gee, if they ignore their own Elite, what chance do us peasants have of being noticed?  mad

1. Haunty profile image72
        Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Uncouth lout! Why am I even bothering with your aweless response to my fabulous remark! Have you no respect for the Elite of the place?! wink

2. profile image51
        j4funposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're right. This cracks me up. LOL. I kinda feel sorry for the HubPages office though. I mean one week they're being praised to the heavens, then the next week they're being publically slammed and dumped on by the same ones they make elites. Unbelievable.

1. profile image0

Do you understand what an elite is?

And, would you not be angry with the events described in the original post?

1. profile image51

LOL. Sure I do. I'm using a lower case "e". I'm using it in terms of the definition as, "those being selected as the best". Some people believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I say elite is in the eye of the beholder.

Regarding your 2nd question: A little more patience and gratitude would go a long way. I mean for goodness sakes man, HubPages has bent over backwards for you. What are you complaining for? You're in better shape than many others. Perhaps you should cut them a little slack with all they have going on right now. Talk about biting the hand that pats you on the head. LOL.

1. Cagsil profile image70

And you would be wrong, just like Ryan thought you were.

Elite is something labeled to specific hubbers who do certain things for the Hubpages Community. wink They are not the "best" as you might think.

Hence, Ryan was right, you didn't know what "Elite" stood for within the Hubpages Community. But, nice try. wink

1. profile image51

It's amazing how you "jump" and don't read 1st. Duh! I know what the HubPages "Elite" program is. I said I was using it in my comment as the definition I gave.

Please pay attention. Duh!

1. profile image0

"those being selected as the best"

No, you clearly didn't. If you do, as I suspect you now do, what problem do you have with the elite team?

It WAS the wrong word for them to use, as this problem was inevitable. But when one delves into the reasons for recognition it is obvious that they are worthy of recognition in some form.

Elite is a horrible world, hubpages 'Superstars' would have been better, but that is hardly their fault is it? As far as I am aware they cannot opt-out of the 'e'.

1. profile image0
                    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I requested to have my "e" taken down and it was.

2. Cagsil profile image70

Please pay attention? roll

That is one of the dumbest things to say to me. lol

2. profile image0

Exactly, you have proved my point. You have absolutely no idea what an 'elite' member is. The truth is that they have much MORE right to complain than you or me. Whoever you may be behind that false identity.

How much more patient? How long should the Hubpages team get to remove copied hubs, in light of Flixya, Squidoo and Yahoo Answers all complying with my DMCA request within 12 hours a few days ago?

Six weeks is far longer than one should expect and you damn well know it. Although I suspect that I would have been waiting forever, the flag is not in a queue... it was ignored. That was pre-slap of course, I suspect and hope that we will be seeing something different.

Holding up better than most? Pah, what 75% of my income gone? Good one. I've been just as affected as everybody else, seeing as relativity is the only measure.

1. profile image51

LOL. Whine. whine, whine. I need to get out my violin. Such a sad, sad, pathetic story.

Anyway, I'm glad you got your problem solved. The whining was becoming almost unbearable. Now you can go suck on your thumb or little binky until the next catastrophe occurs.

1. profile image0

I don't tend to get wound up my anonymous trolls so any attempt to evoke anger or an argument is going to fail.

I would be happy to have it out with your real account though, fancy it?

1. profile image51

sniff, sniff. You binky is waiting for you. LOL. Pathetic.

2. Haunty profile image72

"Elites" refers to a number of distinct elite groups, otherwise the plural of "elite" is "elite". Just saying.

1. profile image0

Of course, only 'elite' people are intelligient enough to understand that. Superiority and all that wink

1. Haunty profile image72

Lol, alright. I think I was helping. When I make a mistake I would want it to be pointed out to me.

As for HubPages elitism, everyone needs a place where they can feel superior. wink

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

LOL At least hub hopping keeps people busy and postpones the moment when they start asking tough questions big_smile

1. Mutiny92 profile image66
      Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

**There goes something shiny**

I forgot what I was going to say, now!

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

Nah!  There have already been some tough questions asked, Misha.smile

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

These questions don't have enough quorum, yet. Everybody is busy with hopping. The burning question is whether to flag poetry or not. smile

Or decorum!  smile

1. Misha profile image62
            Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL Your posts have enough of decorum, and you are one of the toughest questioners big_smile

4. profile image0

I emailed Seth from Squidoo the other day by the way, it took him an hour to delete a copied lens and freeze the users account.

A case of a lesson already learnt by Squidoo which is now, slowly, being learnt by Hubpages?

I hope that they learn it.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image83
      oceansnsunsetsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope they do too, as all this is pretty horrifying.  I didn't realize this level of stealing and publishing copied content was going on, add to that they are making money off of others content.

Its kind of necessary this be nipped in the bud....  Its troublesome to even hear about this.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Good Luck with that Ryan ,of course you relise now that elusive 'e' might just be harder to attain now buddy smile lol

How do know when your work gets copied or stolen outright?
    Depressing.

6. pylos26 profile image71
    pylos26posted 13 years ago

Yep…everyone needs a status where they can call Ole Ron  “a pigheaded bastard” with impunity.

7. profile image0

UPDATE: The team jumped on it, deleted the users hubs and the account, case solved. Apology given, apology duly accepted, case solved.

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Ryan I'm sure a DMCA (not to mention six) gets a lot faster track than a flag from hopping.

BTW I always do go the Google route, because copycats just move on to another venue and continue copying you. Go to Google, get their adsense account deleted and they're usually gone for life.

Anyways I've had pretty good luck with G.

1. profile image0

What contact form or email address do you use for that Nelle? I may try it with a blogger blog.

My DMCA requests with Google ALWAYS get ignored, which is frustrating.

1. rmr profile image67
        rmrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ryan, I usually contact the thief first. If that doesn't work, then I use this form- https://www.google.com/adsense/support/ … _complaint

I've only done it twice but it worked both times.

9. profile image0

Hi KCC - I hope you got some clicks and kaching today.

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Nelle.  I finally got 1 click yesterday. None over the weekend and none today so far.  My traffic is almost back to normal, but the zero clicks is killing me.  Unless something extraordinary happens, I won't make payout for the first time in over a year.

10. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

What is the weather like in good old Manchester Ryan...... It is Sunny today, but on Thursday, Paddy's daY, i hear there is snow.... wonder if someone will turn it green. 

nice to see you have not lost your fighting spirit.  I have not been around for a while, as my dad passed away in January, thinking of getting down to some writing again now.... cheers you all/.

1. profile image0

Sorry to hear about your father Brenda.

But, I don't live anywhere near Manchester lol  And I never did, I was in Yorkshire.

I am now in Norfolk, which is where I am from, and the weather is OK... I didn't even need to put the heating on yesterday wink

1. Joy56 profile image67
        Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh yeah sorry, I forgot you were at Sheffield Uni, at one time weren't you......  In the context of hub pages, Sheffield and Manchester are pretty close, but i kbow what you mean.

No heating here today either, very sunny.... So What took you to Norfolk, is it nice living there.

11. profile image0

You're wrong Marissa. I make my entire living online. This isn't a hobby. People who copy my work are scum. I call my lawyer, who specialized intellectual property rights, and he nails them. Their G account is the first stop and then any other affiliate program they've got on a site. Period. It pisses me off so badly, I can't think straight when it happens. So its worth every penny. They're toast.

I've learned the hard way that it's not worth the backlinks or any of the other nice things I used to think. Making money online is a war, between G and the spammers and scrapers. Things have changed alot recently and I'm in this for the long haul.

Wow!  You've got some kinda moxie, Hoxie!  smile

I'm too nice for my own good, I guess.  However, a few times I've contacted the webmaster of the site, and they've agreed to publish a taster and a link to the original instead of my whole article.  Usually you can tell they're just some misguided newbie who's been listening to the wrong kind of advice - I politely explain to them why it's a waste of time to copy other people's content and they appreciate it.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do the same, depending on what kind of site it is. I had a hub show up on a Cape Cod preschool site, (with no ads), and I let her know that she could keep part of the first paragraph with a link to the original article, or I would need to file a DMCA. I saw no reason to do that in this case, and she apologized and complied. So now I have a nice link, and the article is helping parents.

3. Pandoras Box profile image59
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I don't have a lawyer, but I agree.

Give a thief a second chance, a free pass, a smile and a gentle reminder? Um, no. I see no need for that.

Hang 'em high, for all the other thieves to see and be warned. It's their unethical practices that mess stuff up for all of us.

12. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I don't want to be in your shoes Nelle...

1. lakeerieartists profile image61
      lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't want to be in the shoes of the person who copies Nelle.

13. salt profile image61
    saltposted 13 years ago

Good work. Good when things are resolved for the better!

Note too a comment on one forum I had which someone said something
    that I thought was in appropriate about little boys. That hadnt been deleted either. I may have been the only one to be concerned about how it was written, yet I thought it was worth noting.

14. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

I see your points, Rebekah and Marisa, and concede your greater sense of charity, but I have a hard time believing that people don't realize their theft is a theft. I confess I'm probably wrong about that though, people are amazingly stupid. I'm more inclined to believe however, that they just figured they'd get away with it, and then play dumb when they don't.

No patience for such games.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)