Is Julian Assange a Breath or Fresh Air or an "Enemy Combatant" ?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

Newt Gingrich said Assange should be treated as an enemy combatant.

Max Frankel said "The threat of massive leaks will exist so long as there are massive secrets."

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates: Is it embarrassing? Yes. Is it awkward? Yes. Consequences for US foreign policy" I think fairly modest."

Sec. State Hillary Clinton: "It puts people's lives in danger, threatens our national security and undermines our efforts to work with other countries to solve shared problems...Disclosures like these tear at the fabric of the proper function of responsible government."

Security expert Bruce Schneier: "Secrets are only as secure as the least trusted person who knows them..."

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's interesting to see a staunch Republican taking a more reasoned and considered stance than Clinton.

Hillary Clinton seems a lot more aggressive than Bill Clinton, may I say... more like... well, Bush.

2. bgamall profile image67
      bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I honestly think that statement by Hillary Clinton has a lot to do with her wanting to retire. I think she abandoned the principles of the Democratic Party, for a one world financial system. Her corruption is complete, and now she knows we know it.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

If the government didn't do underhanded things then it would have no reason to keep secrets from the public. lol

I'm not sure what Julian Assange is? hmm

1. profile image0

He's a passionate journalist who didn't want to sell himself down the river to liars such as Murdoch and instead pursued a mission to get the truth heard.

Journalists worldwide are killed for telling the truth, and that is what America wants to do to Assange, kill him.... or drive him insane like Bradley Manning. The same happens in Ireland, you out an IRA member of a drug dealer and you get hunted down and killed.

We don't live in a free world, none of us, nowhere. Assange hasn't broken any laws, he has passed on information that was passed on to him.

Bradley Manning has broken a law, but not one which should see him treated inhumanely, tortured in fact, no human being should be tortured. Yet, the Americans are quick to point out human rights crimes in China? Pah. I would sooner get a quick bullet to my head than to have to sleep naked in 23 hours a day of isolation in a tiny cell which is barely big enough to take two steps in.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Ryan, I know what's what. You didn't need to go through the spill of your post.

With the amount of distortion, distraction tactics and misinformation done by politicians, I only stated that I didn't know "WHAT" Julian Assange is. I didn't say I didn't know "WHO" he is. wink

1. profile image0

Yeah I answered your question:

Question: I'm not sure what Julian Assange is?

Answer: He's a passionate journalist

wink

Ryan, that only tells me what he did for a living. Which is common knowledge. tongue It is part of "who" he is. lol

1. John Holden profile image61
              John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Damn Brits, don't speak English lol

Technicalities...always a bugger. lol lol

2. profile image0

His book is out in April, buy it and find out wink

I think my life will move forward without it, but thank you for telling me. lol

1. profile image0

I've pre-ordered it, can't wait lol

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Britain of all the western countries have bought the least war criminals to trial ,yet they get upset with Julian.

Yea he was irresponsible,and so?.

Time should match the crime is my opinion.

1. profile image0

Britain are upset with Julian Assange? lol

He is living a lap of luxury about 30 minutes away from my house, I saw him the other day.

Chauffuer, mansion, swimming pool, parties, champagne. It's Americans that want his blood.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey well thats going the other extreme,maybe ...nah good for him.

Look its no accident we never see any Poltician or Lawyer in prison ( for any significant time).

Ryan there was a doco here recently ..and Julian was under house arrest or something and not allowed to leave the area he was in.

I didnt like it.

If youre a notable Politician in the US,you can lie to your constituients ,cheat on your wife ,and never be fired.

Now theres a job with great benefits lol

1. profile image0

Britain arrested Julian Assange because Interpol accepted a Swedish request for an international arrest warrant to be issued.

If Interpol want somebody arrested you have to do it. He then got remanded in custody for a few days, before a judge let him out on bail.

Basically he is fighting extradition to Sweden, who want him on rape charges. A British court will decide whether to extradite him to Sweden or let him be.

If the British refuse to extradite him then he has a choice, which is a) stay in Britain forever, or b) go somewhere else and risk being arrested again. Unless Interpol recinder the warrant.

Whilst a criminal trial is being undertaken in the UK you are not allowed to leave the country, yet gave an Australian address at his trial, which is why he is has been put under "house arrest". He has to sign on at a police station once a day.

But the house happens to be a huge 10 bedroom country mansion, owned by a rich descendant of the aristocracy, with a cool 600 acres of land which he walks around shooting pheasants:

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00518/Pg-04-assange-1-ap_518088a.jpg

He can leave the house between 2am - 10am and then 2pm - 10pm.

So basically, he gets 16 hours a day to go wherever the bleedin hell he wants! And he is allowed to run Wikileaks from the house!

If anybody wants to put me under "house arrest" in a 600 acre country estate, from which I can still run my websites, then feel free! Yes please!

Julian Assange KNEW that there was an arrest warrant out for him, and that is why he booked a flight to the UK, where he knew that he would get a fair trial. The same can not be said of America, where (in contrast), Bill Manning is spending 23 hours per day in isolation with the lights being left on all day, completely naked.

Landing in Britain was the safest thing for Assange to do smile Unfortunately it looks like he WILL be extradited, and then he will probably be sent to America, where he will be tortured in isolation like Bradley Manning.

1. bgamall profile image67
            bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unless the US can prove he paid or otherwise got Manning to give the documents, he is a journalist and has first amendment rights.

1. profile image0

Some of your prominent figures called for charges of "treason"!!!

That really is evidence that America thinks that it IS the world, treason can only be brought against US citizens, which Assange is not.

Others called for his hanging. Eric Holder seems to think that he can charge him for something, Pete King wants him branded a terrorist.

Of course, he doesn't have to be charged with anything to be tortured by Americans, just like Guantanamo Bay detainees. And if he is charged with something he could spend a long time in a 23 hour per day isolation cell.

Bradley Manning hasn't been found guilty of anything yet. America can, and would, torture him. And I think that is sad. Very sad.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

@Ryan

Good explanation -Thanks

Sweden ,well dont know anything about their judicial system ,but its gotta be more objective -right?

1. profile image0

They will give him to America.

Why cant he be tried in the UK?

1. profile image0

The alleged crime was committed in Sweden, it has nothing to do with the British police. The only reason that we are involved is because Sweden got an International arrest warrant, and because we are obliged to comply with that we arrested him as he touched down in the UK.

The reason that he is still in the UK is because his lawyers are fighting his extradition to Sweden. A British judge has decided that he should return to Sweden to face the allegations, Assange is appealing against the decision, if he loses his appeal he will be sent on a plane to Sweden.

A little like if you shoplift in Canada, you aren't going to court in America. Only, the allegations are rape, which is more serious. I have no idea what the legal system is like in Sweden, but the Swedish don't seem to like him very much.

Ok ,well he should answer to the rape charges.

And the Wiki leaks are a separate charge right?.

All this Government crap is dodgy to say the least.

I keep thinking about when those two French spies blew up the Rainbow Warrior peacekeeping activist boat Greenpeace,while it was docked in port(NZ). Activists had been protesting France and her nuclear testing in the Pacific. Anyway the French didnt relise someone was sleeping on board ,and the short and long of it deals were done....
                    Those two French Spies never did jail time in New Zealand, and were extratited to an island somewhere off the coast of France to do time-yea right.
                    Looked similar to Julians crib lol

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Is that a trampoline in the backyard?

1. profile image0

Lol, that or a paddling pool lol

Probably. Looks like there is a tennis court too, its a posh holiday camp basically!

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

As Kay said in Men In Black:

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

Some people are able to handle the truth. Most people aren't - and most prefer their ignorance.

1. DannyMaio profile image60
      DannyMaioposted 13 years agoin reply to this

very true wry.

6. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

The Army's treatment of the young soldier who leaked the cables has been shameful, bordering on torture.

1. profile image0

They would do the same to Assange if they could get hold of him, which they probably will now that it looks like he is heading to Sweden.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
        Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this
    2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Scapegoat ,how disgusting!

3. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your tax dollars at work!

7. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

What's amazing to me is that so many of the teabaggers who want to execute Assuage for spilling US secrets think they should be present at every meeting President Obama conducts.

8. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

I hope that this non-sense shows everyone the idiocy of "enemy combatants".

Even Obama was demanding we treat "Enemy Combatants" differently than "humans". And now the definition changes with the political winds.

This is how gulags are made.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)