How many Houses have you lived in to date.

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (80 posts)
  1. mandybeau profile image58
    mandybeauposted 15 years ago

More importantly which has been your favourite.
    I am at present living in a contemporary house, and have always preferred older homes.
    As a kid we always had newish houses, so they were sort of contemporary, and my m other kept them pristine.
    It is just that I have always found that the older ones seem to require way less intensive cleaning.  I have long faced the fact, that I am obsessive about cleaning. Hate doing it, but definitely obssessive.
    Interested in hearing others views, as we have all been discussing that and everyone I know disagrees with moi'.

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Plenty.

The one I'm in now.

And that's not trying to be positive and have the right attitude about it. This house... this property... is fantastic.

mandybeauposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Its great when you find a place like that!

2. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've lived in 17 countries and 37 houses in the past 4 years.

Pretty odd numbers, but that's because living in houses is part of my job.

WOW< so you haunt them or are thwey your haunts lol.

3. frogyfish profile image75
      frogyfishposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My first house was a little white one with big trees, and a goat next door.  I was a toddler.  Same city, Albuquerque, and another white house with a big porch and a new brother. Then an apartment house in wartime Vancover, WA, where it rained all the time and my best girlfriend hit me on the head with a big doorstop rock because I 'waked the doll' she wanted it to keep sleeping. (I don't think she was my best friend after that.)

Then Albuquerque again where I lived in my most-adored house with a knotty pine porch and big picture window. Then moved to rural Florida as a teen, where I was called a 'damyankee'-but nicely. From there to college dorm setting which should be considered a house, I guess, and then from there to a white
      rental house.  Finally to a new fake stone house we built in a suburb and then again to a larger new brick house a couple of miles away.
      I guess that makes nine, which is enough for me at 60+. Except
      I want that mansion, 'over there' too!  Cheers!

I have always loved the name of that City, Albequeque, I ;presume it is an American City..... Geography not the best sounds wicked.....

4. Benson Yeung profile image67
      Benson Yeungposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Has my wife sent you?

Dr Benson Yeung
      http://doctorshealthtips.com

2. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

All types of homes always require intensive cleaning and me being OCD , they have to always sparkle. smile

3. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

Aged 0 to 5 I lived in a Victorian 3 bed semi, with my sister and parents.

Aged 5 to 14, I lived in a Victorian 5-bed semi, with my sisters, brother, and parents.

Aged 15 to 20, I lived in an Edwardian 6 bed detached, with the above family.

Aged 20 to 31 (now) I have been living in an Edwardian 3 bed flat, with my other half (the whole time) 2 different flatmates (8 years in total) and our son (3 years and counting).

I also spent an academic year living in Poland in a 1960s concrete block of flats, a year in halls of residence in London (1960s) and holidays etc in my parents' country houses in Kent, built in the 1480s (aged 8 to 28) and 1320s (aged 28 to now)

Bit of variety, there!

4. Christa Dovel profile image70
    Christa Dovelposted 15 years ago

I have lived in 9 different homes, though not all of them could qualify as houses.

I love my parents 1903, 1 1/2 story Queen Anne style house that is on their farm.  Old houses are my favorites. 

Of the places my husband and I have lived, the tent we lived in for three months is still my favorite.  Every time we go camping, it brings back good memories of our first summer together.

5. LondonGirl profile image82

How can it be both Queen Anne and 1903.....?

1. Christa Dovel profile image70
      Christa Dovelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Queen Anne STYLE... It refers to the shape and trim: basically a very simplified version of a Victorian home, or extremely simplified gingerbread house.  I'm guessing these are all North American terms, and probably do little to reflect what is found in Britain.  big_smile

1. LondonGirl profile image82
        LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Fair enough. Victorian here means the age, not the style - Queen Victoria was on the throne from 1837 to 1901, and Victorian means built then (-:

I just had a look at Wikipedia, and it says there that Queen Anne houses in America were late Victorian in age. We'd call them Victorian.

Queen Anne houses here were built during the reign of Queen Anne, oddly enough, 1702 to 1714. This is a Queen Anne house:

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l … 737332.ece

1. JamaGenee profile image78
          JamaGeneeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Fascinating site, LG.  Thanks for the link!

2. Christa Dovel profile image70
          Christa Dovelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the site!  It is very interesting.

6. Jerilee Wei profile image68
    Jerilee Weiposted 15 years ago

57 places in 60 years, no wonder I hate moving!  Longest I lived anywhere was 15 years.

1. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow you have a count! I am sure I missed a few - actualy just remembered another one
      3bedroom - Cromwell New Zealand

also missed out the long periods when I was basically homeless and travelling!

7. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 15 years ago

ill be 27 in a couple of weeks.

Ive lived in a total of 20 Houses!

14 of them between leaving to college in 2000- until my most recent move a few months ago.

Gypsy, so it is an artists thing, I thought it was just me.

8. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Hell this could be long:
    0-3 detached house in Marlow, UK
    3-7 georgian terrace new town, Edinburgh Scotland
    7-21 3 bed "doer upper" Wellington New Zealand
    company shared house Broken Hill, Australia
    company accommodation Papua New Guinea
    bedsit, Canberra, Australia
    shared houses, several, Vancouver Canada
    shared house NW9 London
    townhouse 2 bedroom Wellington NZ finally bought my own
    3 bedroom home in Wellington NZ bought my own with partner
    6 months in tent around Australia
    2 bed flat Perth

My favourite - the tent - no cleaning, 2nd favorite - the rented flat - if  it breaks I call the landlord no cost to me!

What about a tent in winter New zZealand as you know could get cold, so the easy clean, could come with a price.
      Amazing collection.

Never not in a million years! A tent in Tasmania was marginal! I would take a motorhome in New Zealand -or probably just a motel as the distances don't justify camping! Mind you it was darn cold camping in Alice Springs in July- about zero overnight!

I did live in a tent in Mongolia for a couple of months. That was quite fun, but it was nice to come back to toilets, runnign water, and electricity.

So many people have lived in tents, but to date none in such an interesting location.

A different place almost every night, it was great fun!

Yeah, you could chose a nice new vista never get bored.

9. BundleBoy profile image71
    BundleBoyposted 15 years ago

5 in India.
    5 in Australia.
    2 in USA.

10. KCC Big Country profile image82
    KCC Big Countryposted 15 years ago

Six for me.

Two of them before I was 2 yrs old.
    One for 16 years that Mom still resides in.
    One for 3 years
    One for 10 years
    This one for 15 years

I don't move around much.

11. Teresa McGurk profile image61
    Teresa McGurkposted 15 years ago

1 ireland
    1 spain
    1 japan
    6 scotland
    10 usa

1. Teresa McGurk profile image61
      Teresa McGurkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

added 1 I'd forgotten

12. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Mostly cool old houses, smile, 6-7.

One industrial artist studio/loft amid painters and other artists--but it was a redone old warehouse, so!  I can't get away from old joints,wink

Have flatted  with one idiotic another artist it didn't last.

13. Tom Rubenoff profile image88
    Tom Rubenoffposted 15 years ago

I currently live in my favorite house. 

1. House by Seagull Bay Motel
    2. 17 South Eight Street
    3. River Street
    4. Broadway Street
    5. Back of Water Street
    6. Bottom of the Hill
    7. 105 Queensberry
    8. Foster Street
    9. 411 Marlborough St.
    10. Burbank Street
    11. Queensberry Street again
    12. Belmont
    13. 38 Charles
    14. 87 Beacon
    15. 486 Harrison Ave
    16. 90 Charles
    17. 89 Myrtle
    18. 26 St. Paul
    19. present address
    20. some place in Washburn
    21. some place in Ashland
    22. Uncasville
    I think that's it

Impressive list

14. reggieTull profile image60
    reggieTullposted 15 years ago

3 Connecticut
    2 Massachusetts
    10 Scotland
    5 Oregon
    -----------------
    20 total

The best was a stone cottage in the  middle of a field outside Largoward in Scotland.  Say old, this cottage was hundreds of years old and right out of some dream from childhood.

This one sounds cool, I am an artist and we always look for different. I think.

1. reggieTull profile image60
        reggieTullposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You would have loved it - thanks for this thread on this forum...got many of us to think and reminisce

15. Christa Dovel profile image70
    Christa Dovelposted 15 years ago

Y'all reminded me that my parents moved quite a bit when I was little.  There were four houses before the age of three, making my total 13.

16. mohamedhmm profile image60
    mohamedhmmposted 15 years ago

rent? or own?

either

17. lafenty profile image68
    lafentyposted 15 years ago

I've lived in too many to keep track of, but most interesting would be a Dome in Washington state, a sailboat in the Bahamas, and a covered wagon in the Arizona desert.  My favorite was 20 acres in northern California.  Living in a boring apartment now, with plans to stay put for a while.

18. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 15 years ago

Okay here goes - house built in about 1900, house built in about 1969, farmhouse built in the sixties, 1 bedroomed flat, 2 bedroomed flat, 2 bedroomed townhouse, old farmhouse built in about 1830, brand new out the box house, another old farmhouse built around 1795 (well graves in the garden were from then!), huge 4 bedroomed house on an acre of garden, old semi-detached from about the early 1900's, several falling about cardboard leaky box houses in NZ, Thai style house in Thailand, 3 level townhouse currently

Its amazing when you start toting them up.
      I have had old new, studios, old office buildings, one of which I got rent free for a year Brand new Cool Bungalows and old Victorian Houses, which I love and more contemporary, such as wherte I am now. Favourites was a Huge Californian Bungalow, and an Victorian Villa House. This came with a massive garden, and abundant fruit trees everything you could imagine, vegetable andd herb gardens, bought it for $30,000 US while N.Z. was slumping with house prices. It was up for foreclosure.

19. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 15 years ago

How's NZ house prices now?  They were high as when I left!  My favorite house in NZ was an old Victorian in Devonport, but man did it need money ploughed into it, but sold it for $540 000!

So many people who have lived in NZ Im impressed! House prices have come down a bit in the last year 8% on average overall from memory - more in Auckland and the rural areas which boomed e.g. Rotorua less in Wellington which is always more stable. My feeling is that your weatherboard, renovated ex-State bungalow in Khandallah Wellington is probably worth the same as it was 2 years ago. The tenants are paying the same rent anyways. The interest rates are sooo much lower though its starting to become affordable again -if I was investing there I'd seriously be looking in the next 6 months or so

2. mandybeau profile image58

They are falling rapidly as are the many sharky land agents, that raced in to make a killing when they hit a High Couple of years back, Its not good in the old real estate market, over here, not much is selling and heaps are on the market. All the spec, and property developers are trying to sell as they have no Buyers, and land agents are trying to find other jobs, however most don't possess the skills to find them so many apparently unemployed. Court actions over misrepresentation as well are out there. But hey anyone that buys a Seafront place will always eventually realise its potential, its just that the banks gave heaps of people way to much debt, in terms of mortgage repayment. crazy.I had a grandmother lived in Birkenhead, Grandfather in St Heliers, both had large sections too. you will always fetch the big prices in Auckland, its taking over from wellington, and Christchurch is racing ahead too.

20. accofranco profile image78
    accofrancoposted 15 years ago

It is very hectic to clean and maintain a cosy home like the one i am living in, but thanks to all our esteemed and hardworking cleaners who work all day to ensure the floor tiles,staircase,garden,pool and others are kept shiny all day.In conclusion,if it is left for me alone to care and clean the current house i am residing now,i would rather prefer living in a mud house that my grate grandparents lived in.

21. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 15 years ago

Far too many! About 14 in Cardiff including two with my family and then a series of flats or shared houses, a flat in Newport and finally a council house for 25 years. Followed that with two places here and if I am to find a new job I have to move again which I am not looking forward to.

Favourite would be the apartment I am in currently although it has no garden which is a big drawback.

22. DonnaCSmith profile image82
    DonnaCSmithposted 15 years ago

I think six or seven. I love where I live now most of all. It is an older house - originally built in the 50s and remodeled and added onto over the years. It has more room than I need, but I always have room for company. I rent it, so if something big goes wrong I just call my wonderful landlady and her hubby comes to the rescue. They are very good to me.

The location is in the middle of 200 acres of pastureland and woods. The ideal place for a writer. With its isolation, I am only minutes from town, or the city of Raleigh. so I can find people if I get cabin fever.

23. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

In approximate chronological order:

1920's era bungalow
    hideous "tacky apartment"
    new suburban split level
    Tudor-style on 2 acres
    2 story suburban rental home
    older suburban style 2-level on 6 acres
    college dorm
    host family's apartment in St. Petersburg
    various apartments in Omaha, San Diego, Yakima, and San Francisco
    older suburban style split level on 6 acres

I like older homes with lots of character, but have mostly lived in newer ones without much character. My parents tend to buy more for the land than the house, and I did the same with my own house.

24. trish1048 profile image68
    trish1048posted 15 years ago

Seven, the one before my current home, my all time favorite.  It was a very old home that used to be a ranger's station.  It had a cabana, 20x40 inground cement pool, a sauna, woods all around me, stream out back, huge fieldstone fireplace with built-in bookshelves on either side, an attached greenhouse in my bedroom, a galley kitchen with honey pine floors and counters, and all of this sat in the woods on about 1 1/4 acres.  It became too costly to repair so I had to move and downsize sad

25. profile image0
    C. C. Riterposted 15 years ago

I'm like jeri, way too many to list or even recall. I've lived all over the state,OH, from the work I used to do. My favorite one is the home we now have that is 109 year old and historical. It's around 2,000 sq. ft, with attached garage setting on 1/3 acre, a huge cut sandstone patio with free standing stone wall and a wee pond and water fall I put in for my wife for her fish and our enjoyment. It is way too much work for myself alone. I had all the windows reglazed last fall and a new coat of paint. This year she gets a new roof and we are also doing some more work to the interior. Wee One is counting on a new updated kitchen too. Whew!
    It's just the best. I plan on finishing my life right here, even tho' it has too many windows to count and wash. haha

It sounds fit to be a fav.

26. dineane profile image82
    dineaneposted 15 years ago

Is that really all, Mama?

Trailer on Dismal Rd...house on Dismal Rd (I know, what a place to start, huh?), Mackeys, Rankin Lane, back to Mackeys, back to Rankin LN... so that's 6 before I left home - you are forgetting a few :-)

college dorm, college apt, basement apt after I got marreied, 2 trailers in the same trailer park while ex &  I where still at UNC, one apt, one house & another trailer while ex was in seminary.

Two apts & one house after divorce, & two houses with husband #2.

Too much moving! I loved the last house - we rented an "old" (not really - 1970s, maybe 80s) farmhouse on 12 acres - neighbors never complained about our music (Thanks, Mom!) and it was beautiful. Alas, landlord sold/developed - way too many houses on that property now :-(

I'm hoping we'll have just one more move in a few years. We want to downsize back to the country when the kids are on their own.

1. DonnaCSmith profile image82
      DonnaCSmithposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, maybe I am getting to old to remember? Oh, the trailer was in Grandma Smith's yard before we bought the lot on Dismal Rd.

Now, that I think about it, this is the 4th home since moving away.

And, of course when I was born we lived in NY, moved to Papa Tom's house, then to Washington St. then to Main Street. Daddy & my first home was a 3 rm apartment on Main St. then we got the trailer. . . . yeah, guess its more than six.

27. LondonGirl profile image82

It's a lovely house, but not handy for my work. The £4 million price tag is a bit scary, too....

But its so worth it. I'd commute from New Zealand, for one like that.

2. mandybeau profile image58

I must admit the American terminology gets me a bit as well.
      Victorian to us is during the reign as is Edwardian, and so on.
      But they chuck in the word style, and have names like Cape Cod and Federation, all very foreign, but you can sort of guess the meanings,never quite sure though. England set for the warm months its freezing here at the moment.... Sad Summers gone.

Yes, the evenings are drawing out, and it's warm during the day (still pretty nippy after dark).

Lucky you, if it was anything like the Summer we have just had it will be a Scorcher. Great, well an excuse to buy some new winter clothes I suppose every cloud has a silver lining.

In NZ I don't believe it! The shops here are full of sweaters and cardigans which are on "mid season" sale - meanwhile its 28C and I am still wearing summer cloths!

Aussie is always hot, Hot and Horrible I hate the place. How can u live there. We are all buying the cardi's now. Er i'm more a jacket kind of girl. Cardi's I won't wear till I'm 80+

Its dropped down to 21C today here today - that's called "cool" its been a pleasant 28-30 for the last week. I don't call it hot unless is over 35+ - bloody hot if the overnight temp is not below 20C - and yes we don't have aircon- though we are close to the beach - where the water is still swimable. Oh and the power bill is <$50/month :-)

EEEEW Yuk you are in the same place as my brother, hes the one that wears label trunks, has a label pair of jandals, and eats from a Harrods Hamper, chat to him, You'll love him, someone has to.
                  Sounds as hot as we are cold on a more serious note.Nice sun out today but still I'm not venturing out for awhile. Our power is going up 30%
                  mandy

28. sassychic profile image60
    sassychicposted 15 years ago

I have only lived in two different houses both of which were close to eachother. The reason for moving was do to a servere mold problem. I have horrible allergies so my parents wanted to get me into a cleaner environment for my health sack.

I have a friend that lived in a leaky home subject to mould. She has major health issues. Scary.

29. wittywriter profile image62
    wittywriterposted 15 years ago

Oh, my.... I have three boys and a husband. I work full time and write full time. I am always cleaning on my days off which are far and few. I am lucky though, my husband helps with the laundry, does the dishes, take care of the 6 and 8 year old when they are not in school, takes the trash out, takes care of the cat box and such. But my youngest boys are messy.
    I have lived in one ranch style older house, two mobile homes (older ones), a salt box style home (newish) and several apartments. They all need the same amount of cleaning. I really like the apartment we are living in now, it does not take that much time to get it sparkling again so it leaves me more time to write. Speaking of which, I have tomorrow off so first thing tomorrow is cleaning time, for the third time since last thursday. lol!

Tell this poor dopey New zealander what is a saltbox house. Its obviously not a British term.....

30. LondonGirl profile image82

Well, global warming or whatever, the last two summers here have been cool and wet (-:

That is odd ours have been heat waves. The world temps seem to be changing so it is getting harder to dismiss Global warming any longer.

31. TravelMonkey profile image60
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

I have lived in three but can't remember the first house.

Were you 1 very young ie between )-1year.
      2 Permanently in Party mode and too whacked to remember
      3 Did you suffer amnesia.... How could you forget a House? haha

32. PaulaShaftoe profile image59
    PaulaShaftoeposted 15 years ago

I have averaged 1 every 4 years. My favorite is the one I am in now. Not a huge house, but a big yard. Great for all the kids in the neighborhood and us older kids when we BBQ :-)

33. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 15 years ago

22 and not counting the cardboard box I stayed in for nearly two whole weeks! The cardboard box was my favourite however as when I got bored I could pretend I was a chunky robot!

Haha people here do that you little Marie Antoinette.

34. kiwi91 profile image63
    kiwi91posted 15 years ago

I've lived at nine places, most of which I've moved around over the past ten years. My favorite was the 2nd place I lived, an antique Colonial Cape in Mass. with an attached barn. Great property, I wish I were still there.

Love the Barn idea, Yay Kiwi, I'm joining your fan club.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)