Why aren't we on Mars yet?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (37 posts)
  1. The Jet profile image68
    The Jetposted 12 years ago

We reached the moon...why not Mars? Or one of the moons of Jupiter that -- I heard -- that could support life. Is there no money for serious research on how to build a ship that can reach past the moon...? With all the technology advancing for phones and computers and so on -- why can't we explore space??

It seems far more important than phones and video games. Earth may not be a stable planet for humans forever, considering the environment and loads of population...

... plus, I find space fascinating. It'd be cool! Maybe there's something out there that could be brought back to fix many problems here! Like, a new source of energy or what have you...? I don't know. Thoughts?

1. profile image32
      durgyyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because Mars is dead planet , we can not surviev on Mars

The Jetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My point is, why haven't humans developed technology to even land on mars or explore the other planets instead of sending a robot?

1. Richawriter profile image81
          Richawriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, money is the real obstacle to our ever getting established on other worlds. Although money is important to us right now, at our level of development as a race, it has severely impeded our expansion to other planets due to the costs placed on space projects and equipment etc.

We are still very much a primitive race in that respect, still needing monetary satisfaction as opposed to expansion for the survival of our race.

Many may disagree with me because its "econonmically impossible" or whatever, but I think the space project shouldn't be this "race" for dominance and power that it has become. It should be something that each country invests in for the good of the entire race, not just one dominant country.

Money should also be put aside by each country, resources offered like manpower, technology etc to go towards colonising other planets, whether we need to build artificial enviroments or not. We need a foundation placed and we need it now.

We need to stop this silly conpetition for recognition and do what's best for the race. Imagine how far we would have already gone, had we thought this way 100 years ago. Mars would have been flourishing by now, albeit in under a dome or something similar.

You make very valid points. We're holding ourselves back from advancing as a civilization, because we're so divided as a race. Nicely said.

2. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, there's no oxygen on Mars. People would suffocate over there. But, what if we build little colonies on the red planet and by happenstance come across ancient alien crystals which when plunged into the planet's core sets off a reaction which creates enough oxygen to sustain life? IT COULD WORK!!!!

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
          Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You've got a vivid imagination! You should write science fiction books lol

Space is no longer shiny and new as it was in the 1960s. We hit our apex when men walked on the moon. The space program has been losing steam ever since. Oh, another shuttle launch? Who even tunes in to watch it? The thrill is gone for Americans.

But I think it's important to continue exploring.
          I have a sneaking suspicion earthlings are NOT the most intelligence life form in the universe! MM

1. profile image0
            Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I actually stole that bit from "total recall". big_smile

Hah! Total Recall. Cool movie.

@ Mighty Mom. You make a great point about thrill being gone for space exploration. And I do feel there are more intelligence life forms out there -- look at all those stars in the sky at night, there's bound to be a species more advance than the human species.

1. recommend1 profile image59
                recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

From some of the humans exhibiting themselves in the political forums it would appear that you would find a more advanced species if you just lift a rock in your backyard big_smile

Speak for yourself.

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only ignorance leads one to the stars, before finding a solution to the problems that already exist on Earth.

To fix the problems already facing the world would be a wiser choice than exploration of the our galaxy, with people physically.

There are plenty of things money can be spent on, that are more important compared to reaching out to other planets.

Just a thought.

I don't think it's ignorance. It's curiosity and exploring. There maybe solutions out there that Earth could benefit from. While I do agree problems should fixed on Earth, it doesn't mean they can't try space exploration seriously.

It's not a one-way highway here.

*be

3. profile image0
      Mad Prophetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simple, our politicians would much rather we'd spent our money, and scientist's time, on modern warfare technology.  Where have you been man?  Don't you watch the news?

I don't, actually... it's depressing.

4. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

First, there is the cost. Second (actually first) human survivability. Why do you think the no-moon-landing bunch have any credence? Hostile environment. To land and re-launch takes more on mars than the moon, so fuel is a concern. We don't even have a replacement for the shuttle program.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

... umm...

Because going to Mars has almost no economic benefit whatsoever?

"WE WENT TO THE MOON!!! ... ... ... ...

... now what?"

3. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

how do you know we didnt? The government if full of secrets so what would stop a mission to mars that the public didnt know about!

You have a point. Lol.

4. Bellamie profile image61
    Bellamieposted 12 years ago

Didn't I hear that water was discovered on Mars?  Or was that another planet?  I know there has been a lot of research about Mars over the years, but really I think I'll stick around Earth for awhile longer. If I want to live somewhere else Tahiti sounds interesting enough.  smile

I mean, just plan for the future -- you know? What happens when Earth dies and what the hell's gonna happen? Or what if the sun dies -- we're screwed. Space exploration should be addressed more seriously...

It doesn't appear in the media outside of China but these guys have put up most of the same stuff the west has, and the talk is of Mars landing, or some otherplace - I can't remember at tha moment.  I will see if I can find it all  online and put a link.  It has to wait until the missus gets home as I can't surf in Chinese smile

The next couple of decasdes of advance are set to be Chinese it would appear, they have the spare cash and still have vision and appetite for the future.

Thanks for the link in advance.  Or the effort. Lol.

I don't really care who gets there first, as long as someone gets there -- you know? It's just interesting and important.

It is important for everyone that there is some forward motion somewhere.  Cagsil says that we should fix what we have first - but the fixing requires vision and progress.  The nature of the progress and the fixing is not so clear - but any forward motion is on the side of hope and possibilities.  So, I would agree with you, it dowsn't matter who as long as there is some forward motion, some new stuff, somewhere to go  -   where is not so important smile

I'd hit a like button -- but there isn't one. Haha.

5. manlypoetryman profile image76
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

Why aren't we on Mars yet?

We haven't even figured out Earth yet!

Let alone what to do on with the moon that could help us (mine H3)...so we better stick to our own lil' sandbox!

6. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 12 years ago

Because there aren't any women there.  Remember, they're from Venus smile

That is the point though - you don't know there aren't any women there because nobody has set up a clothes shopping mall there to see if they come out of the woodwork - YET.

All we know is conjecture, educated and best guess stuff, that requires further investigation.  Be a turn up for the books if one of Jupiters moons (or wherever) had water and air and critters - it would change our view of the whole universe.

2. The Jet profile image68

LOL! Good one, timorous.

A fascinating subject and awesome to see everybody's opinion on the matter, regardless of the outcome! Well done Jet for posting such an intriguing question!

There is water on one of Jupiters moons, i've forgotten the name now though. You can easily find it through google. It's a small moon incased in ice, and scientists say there may be life under the ice, in fact I read a book the other day based on aliens coming from precisely there, fiction of course!

I will Google the specific moon. Sounds intriguing. I was happy to post it! Thanks your insightful views, as well as everyone else who replied.

7. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 12 years ago

We aren't on Mars because there is no oil there. But, you can bet if there was, they would be sending a ship there to find it, and bring it back here.

Seriously we do not need to go to Mars, or waste our money trying.
    Lets fix our problems here on this planet, and make it a great place to exist for everyone. Then we can worry about Mars. Too much money has been spent on space exploration already, while millions are starving to death. It's a huge waste of time and money.

8. dutchman1951 profile image59
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

Looking at all this Goverment crapola, I though we were on MARS!

9. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"Why aren't we on Mars yet?"

Because somebody keeps moving it.

10. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

While work needs to be done on improving life on earth, taking some  life to Mars is a pretty good way to ensure that the human race manages to continue for a little longer.  Right now a sizable meteor could pretty much wipe us out, I would find at least a little solice in the thought that there were people safe from harm who could return to repopulate the planet.

I can totally see what you're saying, man.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)