Do people quote too much on forums?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (35 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Andrew Hawkleyposted 14 years ago

People frequently quote unnecessarily on forums in my opinion. It is particularly pointless when you are the first to comment on the original message.

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Quoting is completely unnecessary, especially when you are the first to comment on the original message.

1. Lifebydesign profile image64
        Lifebydesignposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yep, just say what you've got to say. Leave the quoting behind, especially if you're the second person to comment.

1. Teresa McGurk profile image59
          Teresa McGurkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The redundancy of unnecessary quotations is exacerbated by their brevity, or lack thereof.  Mostly.

Hi Teresa - How is life treating you http://www.bbc.co.uk/606/2/refresh/images/smileys/f_loveblush.gif

Jes' fine, jes' fine (broken arm and all).  How's yourself, then?

Which arm Teresa? Writing/typing difficult for you?

Hey Life: Right arm, right-handed, yep it's a drag.  But the pain meds have been helping me put the time in - -

lol. Commiserations (I do remember now) and good to see its not cramping your style.

2. Sufidreamer profile image78

Life is grand in Greece, although the weather sucks - it is the worst April in living memory.

How's the arm? Hope that it is not causing you too much pain.

1. JamaGenee profile image79
                  JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Define "sucks".  Too hot?  Too cold?  Rainy? ???

Very cold with torrential rain sad

And if you are the third person to comment, then the quoting is excessive.

2. Whitney05 profile image84
      Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oooo and don't you love it when they quote an entire essay of a comment and then reply to one little bitty thing within the comment?

2. Lifebydesign profile image64
    Lifebydesignposted 14 years ago

okay seriously now, I just read a forum topic on this and its a good point - there's still gads of unnecessary quoting. Mea culpa.

3. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Of all things to worry about I just do not get it.  Just stop reading the forum that much if it really bothers you.

Not bothered Sweetie smile, just having fun reading, commenting and...quoting

4. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Honestly I do not care if people quote, take up space, or whatever.  I just am not very control freaky though smile.

5. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

I would like to see MORE quotations on the forums.  Here is a random couple:

A poet who reads his verse in public may have other nasty habits.
            --Robert Heinlein

Those who agree with us may not be right, but we admire their astuteness.
            --Cullen Hightower

I love that Heinlein -- I always quote it when I'm giving a reading.

Agreed

It is safe to tell a secret to one,
      Risky to tell it to two,
      To tell it to three is thoughtless folly,
      Everyone else will know.

Be not overwary, but wary enough,
      First of the foaming ale,
      Second of the woman wed to another,
      Third, of the tricks of thieves.

smile

6. profile image0
    Andrew Hawkleyposted 14 years ago

It is scientifically proven that sarcasm causes severe genital deformities.

Can I quote you on that?

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not sarcasm!  It's EDUCATION. 

And funny, too...except that some have a deformed or broken funny bone--and it isn't Teresa.

smile

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

It can get a bit much when the reply takes up an entire page smile

8. rancidTaste profile image63
    rancidTasteposted 14 years ago

Quotes are necessary sometime when anyone indicates to anyone's view or to tell about anyone's view. So, using quote to the right place also indicates how much you emphasizes the expressions or meanings ...

No one likes unnecessary quotes, so use quote when only necessary.

I'm giving my own opinion...I'm not joking. It's my thought about quote.... or quotes.....

9. lawretta profile image61
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

hi guys, i love to write comments so if u prefer to write quotes and comments feel free, its a free world!

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I try not to quote too much, I figure people can scan up to the first post if it's on the same page.

11. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Sometimes you need to quote if you are replying to a post a few posts back but totally not called for if its replying to the post above but thats just me, I really dont give a monkeys what others do.

1. profile image0
      LAmatadoraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am with BadCompany on this one...

it wouldn't make sense Not to quote a particular message if we are replying or commenting on something that is a few posts back on the thread.

1. belief713 profile image60
        belief713posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree & long quoted posts don't make or break my day but I do think the forums would have a nicer look if people didn't abuse the feature. But the real long ones are ridiculous and lazy (unless you just don't know how to edit them).

I think HubPages should consider something like a thumbs up or way to like a forum post (that could contribute to HubScore). Sometimes I just like or agree with what a post says and rather than comment on it, would like to thumbs up it. The number of thumbs up a post got could just show at the bottom of the post or something. Or there can be a most liked forum post of the day or something like that. Just an idea...

12. Lgali profile image57
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

sometimes quotes are good

13. profile image0
    shreekrishnaposted 14 years ago

ok ,
    from  now ,
    i will try to avoid quotes.

14. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

Ok, 1st of all, if that sarcasm thing is true, Andrew, then I'm in trouble...big trouble.
    But, on the topic...quoting when you are the first to comment is pretty ridiculous. We know what you're answering, we don't need a recap. However, when you want to address something someone said 15 posts ago, it's obviously beneficial to quote. The part you want to address...not the WHOLE section.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)