Patience Is The Name Of The Game

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 15 years ago

Ok you want to make money online but you are a lazy bugger, my advice is to bugger off now because you are going to make damn all. Ok hands up if you are patient and are willing to wait at least a year before you make steady money, oh for godsake will you stop waving and jumping up and down, jeeez I just said put yer hand up. Ok fact is after about a year yer google adsense will kick in and even if yer a crap writer you will be making at least 40$ a month but and its a big butt, doncha just love a nice big butt. After about two years the money starts to increase month after month, trust me I have studied it but I lacked the patience but this time I am going the full 2 years and will make money on google adsense and so can you. Dont despair if after 6 months you are only making the odd one cent click, just trust old BadCompany99 about the 2 years and you my friend will be making steady money from adsense. Ok you can put yer hands down now and bugger off, I is finished my speech !

PS - I love you all really !

1. lindagoffigan profile image57
      lindagoffiganposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the encouragement but will you stop calling us hubbers buggers, were starving here waitin on ours moneys

2. Lissie profile image76
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have posted this before but its long buried here - but as many people think I'm a "successful hubber" the timeline may help some
      Joined hubpages Sept 07 - already had own website which has never made me 1cent
      Was full-time and expected to be making $1000/week by Xmas
      Dec 08 - Adsense $12
      Jan 08 - got part-time job (cleaning)
      Feb 08 got another part-time job (Database admin)
      Mar 08 told cleaning job where to shove it!
      Apr 08 made $24 on Adsense now working 3 days a week
      Jan 09 economic crises kills part-time job Adsense $73 Go back to full-time - now think I know what I am doing
      late Feb 09 - have crises of confidence think about getting a job - think I don't really want a job - talk to self good!
      Mar 09 Adsense $79
      28 Apr 09 Adsense $110 and counting. I know I am going to make it because the increase is in my own sites not just my hubs - which are slowing increasing too.

After 18 months my online income is around $250 plus freelance writing (but that too has been the victim of the economy).

I am deliriously happy because I know I can do this now and I what i planned for my sites (6 months ago) is finally starting to work so the stuff I am doing now (knowing more than I did 6 months ago) will be even better in 6 months.

Its a very slow start and then it starts doubling - do the math - sorry had to share - can't explain to my partner why I am so happy about a monthly $100+ payout from Adsense LMAO

Only thing Id say deadpirate - is diversify - don't rely just on Adsense ...

1. brawnydt profile image54
        brawnydtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is that 250 a day? Awesome job if so! Even a month isn't all that shabby!

Very good advice about diversifying and not relying on adsense alone. Google likes to slap you and your adsense account for some very small reasons if you start doing too well. Make sure nothing you do or put adsense on is in violation of their TOS, and STILL don't put all your eggs in one basket.

EPN is an awesome way to generate some very handsome cash.

1. Lissie profile image76
          Lissieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wish - a month ! Except I was wrong a found a couple of other commissions I hadn't thought to check so I'm around $350 /month for Adsense and affiliate commissions

2. profile image50
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nicely put, lovely smile you got there as well !

1. profile image50
          ladyvenusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

See they are honestly telling their earned money on hp. I think your wrong when you say its against adsense to tell how much you've earned from hubbing.What do u think?

2. Everyday Miracles profile image86
    Everyday Miraclesposted 15 years ago

You know what really, really annoys me? Yes, I've had this rant before and you've probably read it, too!

I absolutely abhor when someone comes to me all cranky because their website isn't doing thousands of daily hits within the first two months that it has been open. This has happened to me on more than one occasion and I have got to tell you, I always feel as though my head is going to explode.

If you want to make money on the internet, you're going to have to be patient. There is no getting around it. You have to be willing to put in the man-hours and to wait until something happens. You have to be willing to do research, including researching your keywords, and you are going to need to work at it constantly.

I'm prolific. I've been accused of that on so many occasions that I can't count them. I have been known to do 100 forum posts (short ones) in a day. I have been known to write five blog entries in a personal blog on a daily basis, and I am averaging about 5 hubs a day (yes, really). I'm lucky in that I'm a writer. A writer must write (it's the nature of the beast). I might not enjoy the work, but I'm doing it, and I'm doing it steadily.

But I don't expect to make money in my first year. Sure, there might be an occasional $10 month, but I've done the research, just like you. It takes a lot of time, but once the earnings start coming in, they snowball! I'm willing to wait for the big one smile

3. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 15 years ago

Don't ya think that most newcomer's [like myself] are just excited, concerned or anxious?  It seems that "old timer's" just want to post threads like this, instead of politely telling new comer's to be patience.  Patience is a virtue, that goes both ways. 

I get really sick and tired of people bitching about people like myself, who don't know any better.  Give us a break and grow some patience yourself.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

hahaha, a guy who's been here six weeks is calling someone who's been here 8 days an "old-timer"...

Thanks guys, that takes care of my comedy for the morning!

2. RKHenry profile image64
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

People I point no fingers at any one in particular.  I am speaking in general.  The original poster brought forth a topic and I expressed my feelings on the matter.  No one needs to apologize.  If I was addressing a person directly, wouldn't I have then "quoted" that person and then reply?  Yeah, that is usual protocol. 

If I don't like something YOU've said, I'll point YOU out.  The post was a generalized statement.  Sorry for the confusion and apparent laughter!tongue

1. Everyday Miracles profile image86
        Everyday Miraclesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for clearing that up smile

4. profile image50

Hey I have been that newbie and have mentioned that I have given up on 2 occassions so I am not getting at you. I am trying to help you by telling you it will take at least 2 years to make money online.

5. Everyday Miracles profile image86

I think I was the offensive one, badcompany99. And for that I first of all want to apologize, and then expand on what I said previously.

I am talking specifically about traffic, not website finance. Of course, success with one tends to lead to success with the other. And we are, globally, a culture of "I want it now!"

Like badcompany99 I have given up on more than one occasion (though I have him beat, neener neener lol). Creating good traffic takes a *lot* of work from the site owner or the hubber. One cannot be lazy about it, and badcompany99 and I are both self-proclaimed lazy individuals. I am finally making a serious go at changing my life though using the internet as a means of making money. My goals are more realistic this time, I believe. And if they aren't, I want to be told that they aren't.

I wish that I still had some of the links to the articles that have helped me so much so that I could share them here, now.

Nobody is trying to demean you... Honestly, we're trying to help. The people I have talked about are specifically those to whom I have spoken (repeatedly) about the importance of good optimization and patience. They are people who have ignored every piece of sound advice given to them and plow ahead thinking that they should be millionaires in their first year. And no, I'm not exaggerating! Moreover, these people just don't want to put *any* work into it. They believe that they should just throw a site together and sit back and watch the people come and spend their money (because we're talking products, not clicks).

So I look at folks like that, and then I take a look at your profile. I see 30 hubs in a six week period. I see a fan base of twice the number of fans to hubs. I see someone who is posting quite a bit around the forums. I see someone who is *preparing themselves for success*.

By the way, "patience" isn't the only name of the game. Perseverance is too!

6. mugshot profile image57
    mugshotposted 15 years ago

RKHenry I think BC is just trying to advise that patience is needed to build an online income. I remember when I started in 2006 and my wife laughed at my meagre $2 a month that I was slaving for but over time I have learned alot and earn a nice sum from my different income streams....Hub Pages being a new one as I joined yesterday!

Its great that your excited and I sincerely hope you achieve your online dreams but so many new comers expect to earn big money straight away and dont like it when they do not.

Patience is a virtue, one that we all own in the virtual world IF we understand the dynamics of earning money online.

One of my examples is one of my Blogs, it gets between 6,000 and 18,000 visitors a month (varies greatly dependant on the Big G) and is just over a year old but its only grown to this stature in the last 5 months. For the first three months I was getting between 0 - 20 visitors a day.

Because I was patient and carried on putting effort into it I now feel its a success even if the revenue is not great...its still satisfying that I get this many visitors!

7. profile image50

I think if you read the article properly you will see I have been blogging and doing websites for 4 years. The other guy picked up on that but you didn't but as long as it gave you a smile I am happy.

8. profile image50

Everyday you have no need to apoigize, and trust me nobody needs to say sorry to me. One thing I learnt about writing on Ciao, Dooyoo and a website is that once you write something you immediately leave yourself open to other peoples critism and if you can't take it then don't write. I enjoy peoples views on my writing be it bad or good as it helps me get better.

9. Everyday Miracles profile image86

Well *I* like your writing tongue

1. profile image50
      badcompany99posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Why I thank you young lady, I also enjoy yours : )

10. Everyday Miracles profile image86

See how great that feels!

I need to get to commenting more, but I really want to work on my forum today. This is the part where "perseverance" pays off!

11. profile image50

Forums are a minefield and take a long time to kick off, you must leave me the link to yours. On saying that Forums are great fun and you get to make really good friends which to me is what the internet should be about. Make friends and money plus writing which is my passion, could one ask for more.

12. Everyday Miracles profile image86

The one I'm actually working on is a woman's forum, so not sure you'd be interested in that one. I haven't quite gotten it launched yet.

The other one is a Sims 2 stories forum that is doing fairly well without me. I'm not monetizing it though, at least not for profit. If we put ads up it's going to go to a member reward program. Small member base but it's a good group of people. A very good group of people. If my computer would let me *play* the game, I would be on there more often!

13. profile image50

My Forum was a Problems Pages one and if this silly fool had have had the patience he has now it would have been really popular as it was just starting to take off about 3 years ago. But I like it on here because I am not limited to a specific topic which I like plus I get to meet other writers.

14. Everyday Miracles profile image86

There's always the ever-popular "general forum." The problem with that is the fact that there is so much choice in terms of what is out there that you have high competition for conversions (from visitors to members).

Please excuse any typos. My contacts are giving me issues today and my astigmatism is misbehaving!

15. aniketgore profile image60
    aniketgoreposted 15 years ago

If you want money, you have to wait. And its for sure.

1. profile image50

At least a few years so pack a good lunch !

16. T.L.Eaves profile image59
    T.L.Eavesposted 15 years ago

Let's remember, there's nothing wrong with obscene optimism...we just need to be careful that we don't get discouraged...Seems like everyone wants something for nothing...let's not squash the hopeful - but gently 'enlighten' them instead wink

1. profile image50

Lol nicely put !

17. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

I agree with the statement that it takes at least two years to make real money on the internet.   

I know only a handful of people who are genuinely making a decent living on the internet (as opposed to just getting by), and they all worked like a demon for about two years - harder than they worked in their day job, and sometimes on top of their day job!

That's why you'll notice that, although I've been here two years, I've written only 71 Hubs.  Having done my research, I realized that the sums didn't add up for me:  if I keep working at my real job for another five years I'll earn more money than I could hope to earn on the internet over the next twenty.  But then, I'm lucky to have a real job I like.

18. profile image50

Lol I apoligise !

19. goldeye_78 profile image61
    goldeye_78posted 15 years ago

Patience is virture. I know that's an old cliche, but success comes to those who strive for it . The key is to envision. What do you you want? Is it a million dollars.Is it more or less? We can have what we desire we just have to see it. We have to set that goal and work towards it. Yes there are going to be many obstecles, but you will appriciate all the efforts once you reach your goal. Every successful individual set thier sites on that horizon and worked hard to reach thier destination. When you envision that big picture and you see your happiness whether your enjoying time with your loved ones or what ever the situation that happiness will be your fuel and will drive you. You want be lazy, you won't want to give  up until you reach your goal.

20. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 15 years ago

Ahhh you can't fault patience. Or optimism. Or buggers come to that.

Way I see it, if you make anything at all, it's money you didn't have before. Add to that the fact that if making money from the 'net was easy, we'd all be square eyed and glass-backed from too many hours sat at our pooters.

It's all just a ride big_smile

21. Aragon5000 profile image62
    Aragon5000posted 15 years ago

lol y'all so funny about this. The way you go back and forth. It's alright though at least y'all got people reading and learning along the way.

22. Everyday Miracles profile image86

Not kidding you, I am making money. It's not a lot. Usually just a few cents a day, but there was a day in my first week when I did four dollars through Adsense. I thought it was Hubpages but ironically it was my (unlaunched) forum that did it! Totally weird! But regardless, I am making a few pennies a day from Hubpages. I like that smile

Also, I have two signups under my trackers now!

23. charanjeet kaur profile image60
    charanjeet kaurposted 14 years ago

Badcompany, thanx for posting this perfect timing i must say i may have joined early but just started being more active in the past three months. I was planning to give up mainly as my hubs arent making money just cents in comparison to the other gr8 stories i hear.

You always know hardowrk and perseverance will pay off sometimes you just need reassurance that all will be good. I still have time then for getting my first adsense pay then. I feel like a small fish lost in the middle of sea.

1. profile image50
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey never think that I have given up 3 times and have been blogging since 2001 but its only now I am getting to grips with it. Just have fun, be patient, keep posting and it will reward you. I know how easy it is to give up, jeeez I did it 3 times.

24. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

It is wrong, quote were I mention a figure I have earned and I will give you a big kiss : )

25. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

It is indeed wrong to give very specific information. Such as I had 40 impressions, 2 clicks and made $1.40. (I am making this up, it is not actual data.) I guess, it is okay to say I made $10 a month. Though you won't hear me saying it.

I'm getting very frustrated by people who don't believe this. Go ahead and do it and see how long it takes to get yourselves banned. And the ban is for life. Unless you figure out a way to lie effectively.

Please just take the time to read the rules at Google Adsense.

Yes it is wrong - which is why I didn't and never will reveal online what impressions/clicks/eCPM I make. It is explicitly allowed to give total amounts - I didn't even mention how many websites that figure was from.

26. Everyday Miracles profile image86
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I can't find that information *anywhere*, Nelle. Just the information that they have about not soliciting clicks, etc. I didn't dig as deeply as perhaps I should have though. I'd rather just trust you and move on. I don't need to read through the complicated and boring TOS if there are people like you around to make sure that we know what the rules are without having to read too deeply. It's just insanely confusing.

It is absolutely better to just not talk about it!

You should always read the TOS of any program you sign up to - boring it may be - but its much more boring to get banned. The Adsense one isn't that onerous but the number of sites I see runing adsense ads without a privacy page astounds me.

Its perfectly OK to talk about it so long as you
      a) don't reveal clicks and other figures which could allow the reader to work out your earnings per a click
      b) dont encourage people to click your ads

27. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm under the impression some basic "shop talk" is considered ok, as long as nothing considered "proprietary" is shared.

I'll second the idea that patience is needed; and what anyone calls "money" can be different.  If someone is talking about a "real" income (like a basic, full-time, minimum-wage, type income) I can't weigh in.  If someone means enough money to have to pay taxes on it, I can tell you it doesn't always take 2 years.  I signed up 18 months ago and have paid taxes on what I've earned on HubPages.  (The only reason I'm mentioning it is to give newer Hubbers a little encouragement.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)