What are the requirements of God?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (55 posts)
  1. IntimatEvolution profile image67
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

What are the requirements of God?  I found that question rather intriguing.  I, for one, really had to think long and hard to come up with some ideas of what requirements God must have in order to be a God.  My requirement compassionate.  God must have the required level of compassion, in order to be my God.  What are some of your ideas of the requirements of God?  I would love to read them!  I would really love to hear from our Atheist and other non-believers of what might be a requirement for them.  My son who is an Atheist said, "Visible."  I thought that was a great requirement.  My husband said, "Logical."

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The question isn't clearly understood by me.

Are you asking what are the requirements an entity must posess in order to hold that position ....   Or; what are his requirements which fulfills my yearnings, before I vote for that entity?

----    =====   

Most respectfully asking. That is all.

IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It can be either or...  You need to put in order those aspects, which must come first, in order for God to be a God for you.  Is it the philosophical properties or the tangible characteristics like that of my son's needs...?  He needs God to be visible.  So you see that's for you to decide.  There are no wrong answers here.

1. Linda_Taylor profile image61
          Linda_Taylorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think one requirement to be God is to exist with no beginning and the no end.

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is Only one requirement of God , which is also that which he requires of all else.

That is presevation of the intergrity of oneself unto oneself.....

That's not really the question.  We are not questioning if there is only one, or several, or none at all.  The question is, what are the requirements?

3. profile image52
      ibneahmadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh you want to know the truthful attributes of the Creator God. His attributes are round shaped without a blemish. He is visible to the believers but invisible who don't want to believe in Him. He is logical as all the wisdom belongs to Him but a non-believer may not understand the wisdom.

He has innumerable attributes; all good without a blemish.

No attributes, requirements.

1. profile image52

I think we cannot fix any requirements of the Creator God; it is He who fixes our requirements and provides us for everything.

4. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is at base a stupid question - if you have a god then it is not in your purvey to have requirements for it - in fact this is exactly the argument for why there is no god except as an invention that represents our own ego !

If you want a god that you can 'require' of, then you should move to a religion that has totems, then you can require your god to perform or throw it out and replace it with a different set of skulls, bones and feathers.  Or of course you could follow Taoist religion and they will make you a plastic god, replete with electric candles and moving arms, and 'bring down' part of the great spirit into it for you to keep in your house - if this one does not perform then you can de-spirit it and repeat the process with a new one.

Your opinion is shortsided.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

The requirements of nature.

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

The only real requirement for "Godhood" is omnipotence.  If God cannot do anything he wishes or is bound by the same natural laws that we are then He is little more than a powerful ET with a little more knowledge of our universe than we have.

No proposed God has ever exhibited things like compassion or love; these are inventions by religion to promote worship.  Some Gods have been visible (trees, mountains, animals, etc.) and some have produced detectable actions such as lightning, storms or good harvests.  None have been logical - all have been ruled by their emotion, performing actions that we would never accept from our fellow man.

1. deblipp profile image60
      deblippposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many religions, such as Hinduism, do not believe in omnipotent God.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image61
        Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Brahman? The source of all creation? Sounds a lot like God to me.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image67

Yes, but don't you think that their philosophy leaves room for more than one Omnipotent God?

So you feel that God must be all powerful?  That he must have maximum rule over everything?  So your belief leaves room for multiple Gods.  What I mean by this is that a God can be anything or any being with complete power.  Is that correct?

As for God being an ET, well he is not of this world and technically he would be classified as an Extra Terrestrial.wink

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Sounds like Greek Mythology.

5. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

God's handbook:

1. Create everything.

2. Give everything free will.

3. Make mental notes of everything that happens as a result of fulfilling requirements 1 and 2.

1. OutWest profile image57
      OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cute. big_smile

6. obongowo profile image58
    obongowoposted 12 years ago

If God were visible or had such tangible characteristics then He wouldn't possible be omnipresent anymore. God is spirit, yet His intervention in human affairs, for our good that is, expresses His love for us. Miracles are acts of God.

Well this is just your opinion.  I don't think visiblity has anything to do with being all powerful.   Why must God be a spirit?  So what your saying is that God has to be invisible.  That's your requirement basically.

1. profile image0
        Sherlock221bposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The reason the modern believer views God as spirit is because there is no evidence of his/her existence.  Because God cannot be seen, heard, touched or sensed in any way by the human body, then the spiritual explanation has necessarily to hold sway.

The only requirement I would have of any god is that there be actual proof of its existence.  Belief is not enough, because the human mind can believe in any fairy tale it wishes to create.  Whilst believers will claim that they know in their hearts that their god exists, not one of them has ever seen it.

7. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

A lot of people immediately assume God would have to be the three big Os. Maybe he would. But one thing he could never display would be omnipotence. If one did, we could never hope to be a reflection of God. Because of our egos  he would end up a reflection of us.  Complete invisibility and non intervention in all things physical is almost a requirement in order for people to grow spiritually. Omnipotence would also breed fear. No thing should seek to be recognized as god through fear.

I would make few demands in order to recognize a god. Omnipresence would be a must for me. He would have to be everywhere and in all things.

He would have to look at all life equally and play no favorites in eternity. He could not favor any religion over another and not favor spirituality over complete non belief.  He would have to offer eternal existence in communion with his spirit for all consciousness.

Spot on.

8. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Intimat, what a delightful question.

I think your son's requirement of "visible" is a bit misguided. In the Ten Commandments it cautions against any graven image, because God has no physicality. A graven image would thus be a lie. Give my regrets to your son; "visible" ain't gonna happen.

God is every bit logical. Any apparent illogicality is only a misinterpretation. But His works go beyond logic and sometimes can seem counterintuitive. Forgiveness is an example. True forgiveness may not seem logical, but only from the viewpoint of ego. After years of blood feuds, forgiveness is the only logical thing to do.

For me, God is a non-physical, spiritual and immortal source of creation. For me, this is the "image" of God. And from Genesis 1:26, so are we. In other words -- baby gods. What else would one expect from a spiritual being? Birds have baby birds; humans have baby humans.

For me, compassion is a given. What else would any parent feel for their infant children? Certainly there are human exceptions and aberrations, but thankfully they are rare.

For me, everything in the Bible that talks of God's vengeance and hate is merely a quaint way of describing the effects of creation. When a suicide perpetrator decides to jump off of a 20-story building, they go splat! That's God "hating" them at the velocity of impact. The real cause there is not God's "emotion," but the perpetrator's decision.

When God created Noah's Flood (and it didn't happen 2348 BC, as Ussher thought it did), this was an act of profound love.

What most seem to ignore or forget is that God's love is for His children, not the Homo sapiens bodies they wear.

That God is the source of all creation is simple enough for me. But having seen the realm of creation a few times in this lifetime, it is not built of the same stuff. In fact, it's not built of anything. It is timeless, spaceless and contains no energy or matter. All of these are too coarse to exist in that realm. Ego is made of energy and time, and thus cannot pass into that realm. Ego may very well be the dirty rags, described by the Nazarene teacher. And these rags prevent a person from making it to Heaven.

Without ego, one has a chance to walk with God and to know Him intimately.

1. profile image0
      jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If god is non-physical how did le show his back to mosses?
      If it is really non-physical, then how does it even exist? If it doesn't exist(according to you), then what is this stuff, you call god?

1. profile image0
        Sherlock221bposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is a good point.  The Old Testament god was physical.  He was seen coming down from the heavens in his fiery chariot.  So, whatever happened to that god, and why did he become spirit without a body.  And if he used to be physical, how did he exist before he created the physical universe?

1. profile image0

You don't expect them to answer rationally, do you?(if they answer at all)
          smile

Thanks!  You make some really interesting personal perspectives.

9. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years ago

I'd feel funny putting requirements on God. God is so wonderful as he is and provides for all our needs. He's an awesome God! smile

You are not putting requirements on him....  This question focuses on what makes a God tangible in our eyes.

10. spiritualspark3 profile image60
    spiritualspark3posted 12 years ago

There is no requirement for a god, for he is supreme creator and supreme enjoyer.

I can tell you qualities of god which are:

1.All Beauty
    2.All Knowledge.
    3.All Power.
    4.All Fame.
    5.All Wealth.
    6.All Renunciation.

These are the qualities of god which makes him "All attractive" and god has such qualities so why would he require anything? God and require, no that is meant for us living beings.

1. profile image52

I agree with you; the Creator God requires nothing; he has qualities and attributes ; when these manifest we know of him.

11. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 12 years ago

REAL!

Yes there are requirements.  You have just listed several.hmm

2. profile image0
      Binaya.Ghimireposted 12 years ago

There are no requirements to become God. Do you see God as human beings who need requirements to become lawyer, doctor, politicians...

God is an entity that is beyond our understanding.

1. profile image0

Then how do yo know its an entity?

2. profile image52

The Creator God is understood from the Word of Revelation on the prophets messengers and from His attributes manifest very here.

3. profile image0
      Binaya.Ghimireposted 12 years ago

Because I'm told by the theologies. lol

1. profile image0

Always good!! Trust the authorities and pay them handsomely!!!

There is much truth in this response...

4. seamist profile image62
      seamistposted 12 years ago

For Christian followers, I believe God's requirements are faith in him and that Christ died to forgive our sins, trying to submit to his will, and loving one another.

1. profile image0

What about the followers of other gods?

5. IntimatEvolution profile image67

This isn't so much about God's requirements.  The question was originally presented by an Anthropoligist.  So it really is just referring to the human requirement.

Human requirement as in what does it take to make a person believe in a god or gods.

6. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Religiosity is hard wired to the lizard brain in humans. smile

You know you make a great point.  It truly is hardwire into our minds.  I cannot fathem my life without a higher deity.

1. earnestshub profile image79
          earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The difficult thing is to gain an understanding and acceptance of this real and testable truth to begin with in my opinion. smile

ps. Carl Gustav Jung spent many years gathering information from various cultures across the world to build a clearer picture of how and in what form this religiosity is acted out and believed.
          smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why not?

Mark Knowles once asked me a similiar question....  Because I am to afraid not to believe. wink

It is all I have ever known and I am comfortable with it.  I truly believe that I originally started studying biblical history as a way to justify my beliefs.

7. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 12 years ago

The requirements are not to talk about it...smile

Hello! Good to see you about hubpages again, at least one of us has been missing for a while. smile

1. kmackey32 profile image64
          kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL yea Ive been back on for a couple days...

I lost 4 months with a ban, but that may have been while you were here.
            I hope you are having a good life. I know it got rough there for a while, but I also noticed you have more guts than most professional boxers!. lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)