well, looks like I am being evicted.

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (49 posts)
  1. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 12 years ago

My apartment complex took me to court today for back rent. I was all ready to state my case to the judge, and explain why I was a month and a half late with the rent, after 8 years of living here.
    But, I had no idea that, there would be no pleading my case to anyone. It was almost as if I was watching an assembly line.

There were at least 50 cases of late rent lawsuits in the courtroom from various apartment complexes in town. Basically all the judge did on each case was tell each renter that they have 10 days to pay the back rent or vacate the property, which now gives my partner and I 10 days to move out of our apartment with no money, which means a lot of our stuff will probably end up on the sidewalk. It was almost like a group form letter, not one person was allowed to explain their late rent. Very sad.

It's almost as if they rights of all individuals in this country are going to form, unless of course you are filthy rich, then you will have 15 lawyers, and months of testimony explaining why you owe millions of dollars in back payments on properties without having to pay a dime or vacate them, more than likely that rich person will get a goverment bailout. Not the poor.

What do you think of this? It's almost as if there is a totally different justice system for the rich. including going to special prisons away from the general public on crimes involving money. Like that one rich man that screwed millions of people out of billions of dollars on house arrest in his mansion. What a bunch of bullshit.

1. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear this brimancandy, and hope that you can find somewhere to live really soon.

Sounds like the courts in your area have become overwhelmed with cases, but it looks like everyone will lose out because there will be loads of people on the street and landlords will have empty apartments and not be able to afford the upkeep of their buildings.

I don't think that anyone has learned from the financial crisis, and everyone is just frantically trying to make things go back to the way they were, notwithstanding the fact that it didn't actually work!

We need a new paradigm, a new way of doing things which is sustainable and benefits all.

Good luck and keep us updated on how you are getting on if you can.

2. S Leretseh profile image61
      S Leretsehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The behavior you're describing on the part of the judge is illegal.  A judge is suppose to an impartial arbitrator. Honestly, brimancandy, I'm having a difficult time accepting your version of your court case here.  There are legitimate reasons to withhold rent i.e. broken toilet, bug infestation, etc. So a judge has to hear both sides. 

It sounds very clear to me that you simply do not have the money to pay rent; and you haven't had the money for over a month in a half.  So you were not given just 10 days to get out.  You have had more than 45 days to formulate a plan of action.

And what in the heck does the rich hv to do with all this? Go where the opportunities are young man. Go east, go west, go south...but get the heck of MI - it's an economic hell hole.
      brimancandy, bottom line: MAN UP!

brimancandyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The court cases were EXACTLY Like I described them. I arrived at 9:00 a.m. and they went through at least 30 apartment complex lawsuits, plus the guy stealing the gas can, a man arrested for assaulting a police officer, and a scary looking man who had been arrested 30 times for drug possession, after he already spent 8 years in prison, arrested again just 12 days after getting out of prison.

I was the last apartment lawsuit, and I was out of the building at 10:30. Average all of that out in an hour and half, considering that cases involving the crimes lasted between 10 and 20 minutes each, and then tell me again that I'm wrong.

Also, I received the eviction papars and date from my complex in June. And, the eviction process started around the 20th of June, with the complex wanting $1,055 for Junes rent, even though my total rent is only $690.00, plus another $700.00 on July first. The judge basically threw out the extra money the complex claimed that I owed at the get-go, which was briefly explained to four of us by the Lawyer representing our complex.
        But the complex was still awarded over $1600.00 which I now have nine days to pay or get out. So I did not have 45 pays to decide, as the complex tried to charge me more than I owed. So, I really didn't even know how much they wanted, until the lawer explained to me all the fees that the judge threw out, before any of us were even there. Some kind of pre-hearing with the court I guess. But, not one person was ever asked by the hudge why their rent was late, or what the problem was.

1. S Leretseh profile image61
          S Leretsehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When you received your summons (unlawful detainer complaint) you had 10 days to file an answer. Right? In your answer , correct me if I'm wrong, you had to give details as to why you believe you had a legal right to withhold rent.  Perhaps the judge simply read from your answer...and decided - what we can all clearly read here - that you simply did NOT hv the $$$ to pay rent.  Failing to pay rent is in violation of the AGREEMENT you signed with your landlord.

Additionally, it appears that you are now two months in arrears (June & July).  You had to know sometime in May that you were going to hv a problem with rent come June.  So you have actually had about three months here or more.   There are peaks and valleys in everyone's life.  Like I said, go where the opportunities are. You don't appear to be over the hill. And remember, ATTITUDE is EVERTHING!

No. I received the first eviction notice on the 22nd of Iune, which stated that I owed $800.00 in back rent, and my court date was scheduled for the 12th. I was not given anything to state my reasons for being late with the rent, That's why I assumed that I would be able to explain everything to the Judge, and why I was surprised that I didn't get the chance, nor did anyone else that was there. I had never been late with my rent in 8 years.

You have the same logic that the apartment complex has. I was late for rent in June for the first time ever. July 2nd comes along, and suddenly I am 2 months befind on the rent, when July hadn't even started yet, and July will not be over until the end of the month. May's rent is paid. At the current point it has only been 47 days. Not two months.

Also, I want to add, that since the complex has taken me to court over this after 8 years of on time payments, they will not be getting another dime from me. I will pack my things and move out. I can get a storage unit for 2 years on the money they are asking for for just 47 days. So, they won't be seeing any more of my money. Period.

1. profile image60
              logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What's the point of mentioning a storage unit when you can't pay rent period?
              Time to get over it and find some job so you can get back on your feet.
              Blaming other people is pointless.  Everyone makes their own choices and have to accept responsibility for those choice.  Life isn't fair, never has been, never will be.  One has to pick battles they have a chance of winning and ones that will be of value if you do win.  Otherwise your just wasting your time.
              Good luck finding work.  I'm sure you'll be successful if you want to be!

Getting a job does not equal paying rent. Especially when I only have until Friday to pay or vacate. I don't understand people's logic when they say that, especially when jobs are so hard to find these days. Even if I still had my full time job, at $13.85 an hour, 40 hours a week, I would still be struggling to pay my bills, as everything I usually pay out each month equals $1,195.00 only $690.00 of that is rent.

It's the money that the complex wants over and above my usual monthly bills, is what makes me unable to pay. They wanted $1,055 dollars just for June. plus another $700.00 on July 1rst. That's $600.00 more tan I could afford. I did the math, and at my old salary, I would have to work 122 hours just to pay back rent, and that is not including money withdrawn from my pay for union dues, taxes, $68.00 a week for health care, and gas to get back and forth to work every day, which would probably add more hours to that 122 just to make up for those things.

My take home pay each week after all the withdrawls was $279.00, which adds up to $1116.00. which is still $500.00 less then they want. then you have gas for the car, car insurance, credit card, utilities, which, even if was working, would still leave me $300 to $400 in the hole. And, that's at 13.85 an hour with a 40 hour a week job. So, tell me again how just getting a job will help?

The point of the storage unit, is that renting that would cost me only $50 to $70.00 a month. Verses $690.00. I could make that in a day. That's the point of that, and whatever money I had left on top of that, I would be able to save, until I could afford to live somewhere else. So, almost 10 months verses one, makes a huge difference.

1. profile image0
                  EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Surely the one of the main advantages of paying rent (as opposed to having a mortgage) is that your monthly outgoings are fixed. You don't have to pay for repairs and major improvements such as rewiring or external paint jobs - the landlord does that, and the price is already factored into your rent.

In other words, why was your apartment complex asking for extra money over and above your basic rent? They sound a bit dodgy to me.

Sorry about the problems you're having. It does sound as though even if you get another job tomorrow, you'd be much better off trying to find a cheaper place to rent anyway.

2. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this, brimancandy.  You were late with your rent only a month and half and you will get evicted for that?  That's really awful and very sad.  Can't you ask a friend or relative to put you up and store your belongings in their garage or something for a short time?  I know asking a big favour like that is very difficult, but you wouldn't know the answer if don't ask.  I had been in that situation when my husband died without insurance and I had two kids.  So I can empathize with you.  Lucky for me, I have a brother who is an angel... he is always looking out for me.  I hope you find your angel, too.  hugs to you and your partner.

3. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

I am very sorry to hear this too. How could you let it happen? Did you warn the landlord/management that you are going to be late in payment? Did you suddenly lose your job? You probably had to talk to the management before they took that to court. Anyway, do you have means to pay for another apartment? It's all very stressing and should not have happened. I was so close to that situation in 2006 when my husband filed for bancruptcy and in a month he had a massive stroke and I was not working at that moment. I had to take the job I would normaly never even contemplated just to survive, and at night I was washing dishes at a small local specialty store, that had some small bakery and lots of cleaning at night. I had been working at that store for 2 years without any days off, just one Christmass day. Every night you go home from your main job, change, take 10 minutes rest and go back to another job. I am not boasting, you just have to be ready to the situation beforehand. Laws are not different to rich people, they just handle them (the laws and problems) differently. You always have to talk to your landlord and warn him about situation and promise to pay at a certain date  and keep that promise. Or may be pay partially and promise to pay at a certain date. After 8 years of living there I think you are entitled to that. No angel helped me but I survived, I paid for my at that time 3 bedroom apartment, I moved later to a smaler and better one, and hopefully not going to be in that situation again, but who knows? Life is unpredictable. Just do not lose you nerve, you'll be o'kay.

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I am sorry for your difficulties, have you looked for agencies that can help?  Because as tough is it is for you, the landlord doesn't have to care so long as he has a contract and you are in breach of it.

5. Crobin28 profile image61
    Crobin28posted 12 years ago

All I can say is, WOW! That is crazy that they didn't even let you explain your situation! I think you should contact some agency. Do you have any disabilities? Are you unemployed? Maybe that could help you? Is there no one you could borrow the money from? A relative or friend? A month and a half late really isn't that big of a deal!! It's not like they are going broke over one months rent! This infuriates me!

Tried all of that when I found out I was being evicted. I went to a place called booth family services, that is supposed to help people with evictions and evading homelessness. Well they told me that unless I had steady income and could pay my bills and my rent on time, they could not help me.

I have also asked several family members, and friends for help, and most have just said maybe you should get a job. So, yeah, I'm going to go out and get a job tomorrow, and get paid $1700.00 in less than 30 days. Just because someone has a job, doesn't mean they can afford to pay their bills. That's why a lot of single women with small children are quitting their jobs and going on welfare, because they don't get paid enough to support themselves. I unfortunately don't have the luxury of being able to do that.

I said to the girl. Um...If I could pay my bills and my rent on time, I would not be asking you for help. She replied by saying, we don't have any programs available for people do not have income. I just replied, by saying gee I hope you are not funded by the government. Homeless people don't have money, that's why they are homeless. Totally worthless.

1. 4tune profile image60
        4tuneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Certainly understand the welfare deal.. so many jobs are just temp jobs, NO insurance for yourself or kids.. You do not have money on welfare I mean without cash assistance but food and health coverage.. But sometimes with kids the health coverage is even more important than money.. It can be hard you have to make sure you get a job that pays well and has insurance.. Very hard to get that when all there is if your lucky is part time cashiering no insurance offered, MI very bad place to be I saw this coming a very long time ago and wanted to leave but had a child, and knew nobody out of state so was talked out of it.. Now regret it.. when I had the chance should have took the chance I think.

6. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 12 years ago

Appeal the Judgment.  Will put a stay on the ruling and give you time to figure things out.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You should certainly try some kind of appeal. Normally 10 days is  not enough to find a place to live.

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or take that stuff that might end up on the sidewalks and sell it on Craigslist to raise the money you owe for your back rent.

I don't own anything of value, and the stuff that is of value is stuff that I want to keep, like my computer, TV, and DVD player, which are all over 5 years old. The rest is just clothes.

All the furniture in the house belongs to my partner. He bought it, so he should decide what should be done with it.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
          livewithrichardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's certainly some hard choices you have to make but ask yourself if you'll be watching tv or dvds or on your computer if you are living on the street?  Your partner needs to make the same decisions as well.

Selling the stuff may not pay your rent but it might give you a little leverage in securing a new place to live.

7. psycheskinner profile image82

Unless you are in government housing I don't see the basis for appeal.  The contract says: pay the money on the date. The landlord is not legally obliged to let you pay less or late--no matter how compelling the reasons.

That is why I asked about seeking aid for other agencies.  The relevant agencies vary by state and family circumstances but most states will give a short term grant to stay eviction if the family has the long term ability to meet the rent.

8. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I hate to say this, but with 50 others in the court, you'd be there for a week waiting your turn to explain why your rent is late, and it wouldn't change a thing except clog up the courts.  You have 10 days to come up with the rent.  If I were you, I'd start looking around for what I could sell, pawn, or borrow to come up with the money.

9. nell79 profile image79
    nell79posted 12 years ago

There are usually agencies out there, as mentioned, to help those in a hardship. As for having a basis to appeal, there are legitimate reasons, as another mentioned also, for withholding rent if the landlord does not maintain the property, but when those things are fixed, then you have to pay.

Sell all that can be sold on ebay, craigslist, or some other classified site (depending on your item and the price you're asking, you can get good money). Take any job you can find, even if it's normally beneath you. Donate plasma (which can bring in a few hundred extra a month). Where there is a will, there is a way. I don't believe in giving up.

Good luck to you! I hope you get through this with the best possible outcome.

Nice reply. But, I can't donate blood. I'm in a high risk group, that, and needles and I do not get along. And, I am not giving up, the post was mainly about how surprised I was by how little was asked by the court of people that were in the process of being evicted. Not only by my complex, but at least 6 other complexes in town. They should of had a revolving door, as people came and went so fast, it was quicker than the grocery checkout. It was very sad.

2. TLMinut profile image61
      TLMinutposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Homosexual men aren't allowed to "donate" plasma but the selling of belongings on Craigslist could work well. When I moved, I sold a lot of things very quickly for good prices. It was much more successful than I ever expected! Of course, it depends on what you're selling and its condition. Also, you really can't sell everything you own and still carry on. There are things I'm doing without that I certainly miss but there are ways...

And yes, there are agencies and churches that help. Hope he found (or finds) a way to come up with the money. Jobs aren't something one can "just go get" unfortunately.

10. psycheskinner profile image82

That is because it is not relevant. The judge's only job is to enforce the tenancy contract. It seems he did so quite impartially if he threw out added fees not allowed by the contract.  You have exactly as much time to vacate the premises as the lease specifies unless it contradicts state or federal law.

I know it sucks, but the law is only going to do what they law does--enforce the contract. You need to focus on either getting the money or finding somewhere to go.  Your best bet is probably state funded emergency assistance.  So long as have income in excess of the rent going forward, you should qualify. If not, they can help with finding alternative housing.

http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,1607,7-12 … --,00.html

Thankyou! That link is very helpful. I will study it, the rest of the day, and hopefully they can do something for me. I guess there is always hope.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They earlier you bring them in the more options there are. Predictably, these programs tend to be busy.  But generally if rent is 75% or less of your total income they may help you stay, if it is more they can help you move and even may subsidize, pay fees etc housing.

1. celebritie profile image70
          celebritieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear this is happening to you, have you looked at renting a room?

Some people rent out an extra area in their house, if you can find one with a separate entrance and your own bath that would be good.

11. Deborah-Diane profile image83
    Deborah-Dianeposted 12 years ago

So sorry that a member of our Hub community is going through this.  It seems like more and more people are having to move in with friends or family just to make ends meet.  I hope you find a safe place to live permanently.

Thanks. But, it doesn't look good at the moment. I was going to move in with my brother, but, it doesn't look like it is going to happen. I might end up moving in with my mom, and my partner will have to go somewhere else.
      Not looking good at all.

12. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

If I were wealthy I would help you although you are a stranger. All I can say is keep your faith if you believe and the doors will open when you least expect them. I have my own personal issues I am going through right now so I can feel your pain. sad

Even sadder that that. I just checked my Adsense earnings, and I have made a whopping $5.15 cents the whole time I have been here.

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

With adsense the more you write quality hubs, the more money you will make. I am sad for you and I hope you get through all of this. I know you will, I have to get through my heartaches too. sad

13. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

Well, you cannot possibly pay any rent if you do not have money. Somehow you have to earn that. What your partner thinks about that? Is he jobless too? Can you somehow between you two figure out how to pay your rent? By the way, to move temporarily in with your mom is not such a bad idea. You can save some money and start up afresh more easily. People do that,you know. My oldest son lives with me now, I think almost 1,5 years by now he is here, and though it is very inconvenient in a small apartment, and he is very messy, I try to be positive, I am sure things will improve for us. My boss's daugter have been living with her parents, her husband and small son for a year until they saved enough for a downpayment, and now she moved into her own home, nice. Well, I've been working 7 days a week since last October and so far do not see any options for me. Life is not easy. One more thing. Sell the car and use public transportation. That's how I get to work every day. That eliminates cost of  fuel,car parking,maintenance/repairs,insurance. A big chunk, I do not have to pay every month. Inconvenient? - yes. Possible? You bet! You have to do what you have to do. If you cannot afford your rent, you cannot afford your car, period!

14. seanorjohn profile image70
    seanorjohnposted 12 years ago

Hope you find a way through this difficult time.Debt is destroying the lives of so many decent people. You will need a fixed address to plan a new future.If you have to move to your Mum's for a short period you could look into becoming a guardian of a property. How it works in the UK is that you live rent free - sometimes with utility bills paid in return for looking after a property. There is hope for the future but right now you must do everything to stop yourself from becoming a homeless stastistic.Really hope some good news and fortune come your way soon.

I often thought about doing that. That would be cool, if someone needed a house sitter in the Saugatuck area, I would be glad to do it!!  Getting out of Grand Rapids is my main goal. It's getting too expensive, and there are very little jobs. The temp services are killing america.

15. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

bri, how are things progressing?  I have been reading your threads, but not commenting -  even so, wanting to know if you are finding any resolution to your problems. 

I know that the kind of situation you are in can make it really hard to take all the steps needed, but there really are some excellent ideas in this thread.  You will probably find the best solution in taking a number of different steps, including government aid, loans from friends and family and others, part-time or full-time work even for very low wages.   

I remember in one thread you mentioned how much time (and gasoline money) you give each week in taking your brother to his chemotherapy.  That obviously cuts in to your finances, but also to the time you have available to work at a "regular job." Have your family chipped in any money to help with that (gasoline, etc.)?  Do they know how valuable your service is? and how your contribution allows them some peace of mind in knowing that your brother is being assisted in that way?  It seems to me that the value of your service ought to be worth something financially to them too - and at the very minimum it ought to make them willing to give you a loan, if not some outright remuneration. I would like to say that loans within families are very tricky and touchy and usually best avoided.  But if you do need to and are able to go that route, write it up as a real signed agreement.   

Then, in a different vein, have you checked out these links before: 
    http://www.michigantenants.org/resourcelib 
    http://www.michiganlegalaid.org/library … 17901097/.

There have been times in the past when I have recommended to some Hubbers in straitened circumstances to check out getting help from some churches.  I know that that route doesn't always work out well, and I am deeply sorry that that is so.  But, if you want to check into that but don't already know of churches that offer help, you may be able to check in with some of the ONA churches in the area to see if any of their members have suggestions you haven't considered - some of them may have been in similar situations.  (Who knows? – they may know of someone who needs a house sitter!)  I did some research and found that there are several ONA churches in Grand Rapids, so if you are interested you might check out these links:   
    http://www.ucccoalition.org/programs/ona/who/list 
    http://www.eastcong.org/    (This is the only UCC one I found with a website.)

But from East Congregational UCC, I found a link to the Interfaith Hospitality Network (Family Promise of Grand Rapids), with this note:  "IHN is an emergency shelter for homeless families where local congregations provide meals, private sleeping space, and volunteers to create a home away home for the families."  Anyway, these may give you some more resources for places to check into temporary help while you try to get a better long-term solution in place.

I hope you get things worked out for the best!

A friend of mine also stopped by today with more resources to check into. But, with the temperature in GR at 107 degrees today, I decided to give packing a break before I have a heat stroke.

I also looked into a rental truck to take a majority of my valueable stuff to my moms. But, just the rental truck is going to be around $200.00, because they charge by the mile, and my mom's house 130 miles round trip. That includes gas for the truck. So, we don't know what we are going to do. Most of the places I have called have offered zero help.

16. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 12 years ago

Brimancandy - have you checked with your state social service agency?  Where I live, the state social services agency has an eviction prevention program that will pay $150 per person (actually, I think it's called an emergency fund - it can be used to find housing or to prevent an eviction)

Have you called churches?  Do you have a United Way in your area?  (where I live, the United Way also has an eviction prevention program)  Check with food pantries and free clothing centers - anywhere that serves the community, including Goodwill or St. Vincent de Paul.  If one can't help you, then ask them if they know of any other resources you can check into.

I hope things get better for you. smile

United way 211 was the first place I called. They directed me to Booth family services who were the ones that told me that They would not help me because I would have to be able to pay my bills and rent on time or they wouldn't help me. I also looked into a service called community builders which pretty much said the same thing.

Now I know why there are so many people still on the streets, and it is because the organizations that are supposed to help them are only offering help to people who already have money. Which, as far as I am concerned is stupid. Like I told the girl who interviewed me, I hope to go you don't get funds from the government, because if that is true you are helping people who don't need it. What's the point of that?

I would think if people could pay their bills and the rent on time they wouldn't be asking for help. Sure makes me wonder who is truly getting all the money that is donated to them. It's just sad.

1. TLMinut profile image61
        TLMinutposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So many organizations are like that I've found. And being late with rent once after 8 years? The landlord counts on the $$ to pay for the property but that's harsh.

17. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

So sad that many are having financial troubles.
    It's not as if you are buying new Cadillacs and ran out of money! Your needs are not large, yet it is difficult to even get any paying job with an unemployment rate around 9%.

I have a couple of ideas for making money quickly, that involve buying and selling used goods.

I know a fair bit about brake lathes, and can turn one in to 3k profit with about $100 worth of parts and a lazy week working on it, half of that waiting for the special paint to dry.
    Everyone has a hobby or something they know about, and that is where I would look for quick dollars.

I don't want to promote the hub I wrote about it here, but I will leave it so you can read it if you haven't already and see how I explain doing it.
    It will take me a while to find it, but I will drop it here as a dead link. smile
    You have all my best wishes, and feel free to open up a dialogue with me if you think I may be able to help. smile 

To hell with it, here is the intact link.

http://earnestshub.hubpages.com/hub/Bes … ey-offline

18. earnestshub profile image81

Another idea my son used to avoid working for Kentucky dead chook or Mc Dunnies was to get two first aid certificates.

I financed it and it only cost a small amount of money as I recall, and it got him &6.70 an hour more than his mates working for the buggered food joints. smile

I worked for both McDonalds and Burger King, and there is a reason why they make so much money. It's because they are the cheapest bastards on the planet. Everything is measured, and counted. McDonalds actually found a mechanical way to portion everything that goes into their food, even the drinks you get in the drive through are portioned by a machine, so they have very little wasted product.

Burger King is also efficient, as they only cook on a need basis, and only use condiments and buns and cook fries and things of that nature as they are ordered. They have a little more waste then McDonalds, but both are a profit machine. They also have a habit of sending employees home if they are not busy. Which usually comes back to bite them in the ass.

I have worked at many restaurants, and my last job was cashier at a supermarket where I made $23,000.00 a year. They have started using the McDonald's mentality, and seeing their profits go up. But, in doing that, they are losing customer loyalty, and treating their employees like crap. Working for yourself seems to be the only way to be happy.

19. earnestshub profile image81

I have worked for myself most of my life and loved every minute of it, especially when the money rolls in!

I find that buying and selling is the bet way to get a quick dollar. smile
    I bet you know a lot more than you have told me here. smile
    Any hobbies?

I write and draw in my spare time. I often thought about being a cartoonist. But, It seems like I can never keep my figures looking the same. For example if I were to draw snoopy, he will eventually end up looking more like Brian the dog, and then various mutations after that.

1. classicalgeek profile image83
        classicalgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's not a bug--that's a feature!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I know times are tough and you are in a tough spot. Each person has to do what is right for them, and I wish you all the best and hope that everything will work out well for you (and your partner) in the end. I won't tell you what I think you should do, but if you want to do something, contact me via HP and I'll see if I can track down a contact in MI (I'm on the other side of the country but I am sure I know someone who knows someone) to help once you decide what to do.

P.S. Do they have a one-way rate on that moving truck? 65 miles is a lot more affordable than 130. Or maybe you can find someone from the area moving the other way.

20. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Brimancandy, if you're in the US, check with the Salvation Army. I know 2 folks here who got the SA to pay their rent when they were being evicted. Best of luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)