How to Move On

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

How long did it take for you to move on after your relationship was over or marriage was over?

2. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Depends on the person and the magnitude of the relationship. A couple of exes were really hard to get over but it happened after being unattached for about a year in both cases. The ones that bailed on me after a short time because they didnt give me enough of a chance or i didnt express myself clearly were the ones that lingered in my mind for too long.

schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I left someone 7-9 mo ago and they are still in my dreams, and I think of them alot. It hurt me to find out they were dating someone 1/2 my size. But I think they found this someone even before I dumped them- because they moved and this person lived in their apt complex. I wish I could move on but I don't have a new boyfriend which makes it harder I guess. We were togEthEr almost 6 yrs. Oh and the fact that they controlled me and made me think they were the best piece of cake.........................well

1. Jonathan Janco profile image60
        Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's awful schoolgirl. everyone is entitled to their free will. All you can do is allow yourself to be free of him. Manipulation is driven by fear of giving up that which is temporary. I give you permission to be loved. Start by loving yourself.

1. profile image53
          Erikainoceansideposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Excellent reply Jonathan. Loving myself is what I'm working on now. I have my good and bad days, yet the process so far has been remarkable. Thank you for your post.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image80

You are wonderful!

Thankyou ...

2. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes a lot of what feels like "not moving on" is really a matter of not yet being used to not having someone around all the time.  It may be a poor comparison, but my daughter moved to her own place last Fall and brought her cat (who'd I'd cared for for several years) with her.  I didn't mind seeing the cat go, but - boy - it took me about four months just to get used to not having it in the back of my mind that there was a cat in the house to make remarks to as I went through a day (or to get used to not thinking about feeding her, being able to have live flowers on my table again, etc. etc.).  So, if you figure it can take that long to get used to not having a cat (who is happily with her "girl" somewhere else), it's probably reasonable that you're not yet used to not having the person around.  I think (at least if that's what's going on with you), you just have to keep your mind busy on other things/people, and the each day/month will eventually "move you on".

In answer to your question about moving on after divorce:  Personally, we both had moved on before the divorce; so even though the divorce was big, bizarre, long-drawn-out, complicated deal (that rivaled Charles' and Diana's  lol), it took me zero time to "move on".  That doesn't mean I went out and found myself someone new immediately after.  I wasn't interested in that for a number of reason.  "Moving on" isn't always about finding someone "to replace" the other person, though.  It's about taking stock of what you've learned from the earlier relationship, growing as a person, and being more whole as an individual before moving into any new relationship.

very good insight, Lisa, very (tremendously good). As you say. And it's not easy, and it will not go away overnight. being used to something
          almost like he died or a relative died, a big loss.
          thanks for the comments. I should really print this page.

3. rachelsholiday profile image61
    rachelsholidayposted 12 years ago

I've typically tried to give myself at least a year off between break-ups.  I find that when you're in a relationship that ends you're something less than yourself and a year is really helpful to get back to yourself.

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

OK so it hurts to have ended a relationship of 6 years, but move on. Think that losing you is HIS loss and someone else who is better will come along when you least expect it. Just remember He will not forget the times you had together for a long time and sooner or later when HIS current interest wears off HE will start thinking about them.  cool

5. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

I was married and moved on RIGHT AWAY and I was with him for 6 years but in the end HATED him....

6. princess g profile image59
    princess gposted 12 years ago

It was relatively easy to move on from my last relationship. I hadn't seen him in months anyway(long distance relationship)

Plus, I'd already given up on it before we broke up anyway

7. BarbieGirl79 profile image60
    BarbieGirl79posted 12 years ago

I was with my ex-BF for 4 years!! It take me about a year to really get over him & found someone new!! I found My Real Love & My husband Robby of 7 years together & almost 4 years. Married!!

8. R.S. Hutchinson profile image71
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

I dont think love ever dies.. it just fades and we try to ignore it.

After a while, our taste changes.. once that happens then we realize that we are no longer in love with that person and it's then that we can truly move on.

don't beat yourself up if you're still hung up on your ex.. my most painful loss still echoes in my heart years later.

This is a guess but I think the most romantic people have it the hardest, just a guess. and thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)