I just don't understand ANY of this!

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. TeriSilver profile image96
    TeriSilverposted 12 years ago

I am having a major meltdown now, Because Hubpagges told me to, I signed up for Google's whatever it is about ads, now they've disabled it because they said I violated ... something about clicks. I don't have a clue what's going on.

Nor do I understand how of this hubstuff works, when it comes to "placing ads on my pieces." I don't place ads, I don't want to place ads, that's not up to me.  All I want to do is write and have the stuff done for me, that's why I don't set up ad traffic to my own website, because I don't want my personal site to be ad-ridden. So here I am... I've read everything. Why do other people understand it but I cannot?

I have read a countless number of links from Hubpages, from Google, from Amazon, etc that are supposed to help people get started, but they are just floating over my head.  Too much, way too much.   Nothing makes sense. Even the "step by step" has me wondering, so, what am I actually doing here?

I have been out of work since spring of 2010, no real job in site. I am not stupid. I have a degree in journalism, have worked in radio and televeision stations around central Ohio, have worked in Public Relations. But I am 50 yeara old and there is age discrimination out there. Stil, I try and try because, what else can you do? I've taken online classes. I've tried to update my skills. I thought writing for the Internet would help and it has even though there's next to no money for it. It keeps me productive, that's very important.

I write for two other sites but don't have to worry about... Google. Google doesn't really care about anything anyway, I can't believe how many articles I've written (Suite101) that have been stolen by scraper sites but Google supports their ads. When ever I've written (more articulately than this) to Google about a problem, they send it back unanswered, ... if they send it back at all. It's happened several times when other sites have stolen my work.

I just don't need more negativity. I don't need this stuff telling me I'm stupid because I just don't get it. I  need something positive, something to actually work for me.

I am very sorry, I know this forum isn't for major meltown status nutcases like me. But I need to  get it out of my system before I can try to rebuild, if you know what I mean. Problem is, I just don't know what to do.

Teri

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google will disable ads if they think you're trying to defraud them in some way.  That may be because you clicked on your own ads (even by mistake), or because someone else clicked on them too often, thinking they were doing you a favour. 

They won't tell you the reason but you can appeal.  The only way to appeal is by using this form:

http://www.google.com/support/adsense/b … m&rd=1

HubPages earns income by placing ads on your Hubs.  If you have an Adsense account, you get a share of that income.  If you don't, you don't earn anything.  It doesn't mean the ads disappear.

If you can't get your Adsense account reinstated, you can't earn money on HubPages - but you can use it to publicise your website and your work on other sites.

Teri, how long have you been trying to make sense of this stuff?  There is a big learning curve to making money online, but it takes patience.  It sounds to me like you've created your own mental block about understanding all this stuff, which is holding you back.  I'm over 50 and I learned how to do it.  I've been here three years, it took me a solid year to understand what I was doing, but I got there.

You're an intelligent person and you're probably used to grasping the meaning of things fast.  Reading a page and not comprehending is a new thing for you, but that doesn't mean you should give up.  Treat it like a foreign language, because that's almost what it is!  When you're reading material from HubPages, from Google, from Amazon, have a window open where you can Google every word or phrase you don't understand.  Yes it takes time - but that's what it takes.

That's because Google is a bureaucracy and you have to follow the rules. There is an official way to report stolen content to Google and that's the only thing they'll respond to - and it does work. It's called a DMCA. 

If the offending site has Adsense, you can use this form to report them straight to Google:
      http://www.google.com/adsense/support/b … _complaint

If they don't have Adsense, look for the contact details of the website and send them a sternly worded email that you will be taking action against them if they don't remove your stolen content within the week.  If they don't, you'll then need to do some work to find out who hosts the site and report to them - that can be more complicated but if you get to that point, post here again and someone will talk you through it.

2. TeriSilver profile image96
      TeriSilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, everyone for your help, my ads are again connected to hub and Google. You're right, there is a big learning curve here!  I wrote more about this which posted at the end of the thread. I need to learn how to use the forums better, too smile)))

t

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees of anything at all on content sites.  This goes for any other Google related terms or statements.  Even if you mange to achieve the "hundreds of dollars or more of passive income" here or anywhere else, there is no guarantee you will not be penalized and dropped from the search engine rankings by Google at a whim.

Do not trust any internet site nor expect your honesty to be reciprocated.  Sad but true.  smile

2. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Teri,
        I am also over 50 and HP was a large learning curve for me. All I knew how to do was answer email and write on Word. Take it one step at a time. Write when you can, that's most important. The people here will always help if you get stuck, they answer fast. Plus you can add on as you learn. If you take the time to read the forums, they have how-to videos. It is time consuming. It takes me several hours to write a hub, and I do it on Word so I have a record. You still need time to read others hubs to see what they are doing. I find Hub Hopping is the quickest way to stay involved and check out if you are writing the same things as someone else. I don't mean copying, many topics have several experts in that niche, and you don't want to compete with them. In the beginning I spent at least 10 hrs a day. With all the changes, I write less now as I am unsure of HP's future. I came aboard and had around 50 hubs when all the Google and Amazon and other changes came. It seems all the bigger money makers just want to sell products, and at the time they could post the same article on many other places besides HP. Now that's duplicate content, and it gets pulled. I just write about what I like, I found I did worse trying to change my titles to keywords. But if you want money, it's going to take about a yr and 100 hubs. Best of luck to you.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Did you click on your own ads to see how they work? If so, that is why google is perturbed.

As to the constant article thefts; I, too, have considered just giving up and quitting because of that.

If you want to fight back re: your Suite101 articles, I'm reasonably certain that this link is the way to go.

http://www.google.com/support/bin/reque … ct=adsense

No, I've never clicked on ads on my pieces, that is one thing I know is  taboo. But I've opened my own pages to read them, which isn't the same thing, I didn't think. Problem is now... they won't "fix" it and I can't get anything from Google. I've written to Hubpages but I am not expecting any help. So I don't know what my future with HP will be, or anything like it.  I am a writer,  not an "ad-placer"... my prmotional background is not from the Internet. 

Suite now has a compliance form that they use to get sites to remove the stolen content, it's helped but the sites still get supported by Google. I've contacted Google about copyright violations. They talk the talk but do not seem to want to walk the walk, at least,  not in my 3 experiences with them.  So now I run it through Suite and hope for the best.

What's disturbing is that none of this is very user-friendly. Guess what, Google... we're not all under 25 years old and taught social media in high school and college.  It seems that's what's necessary, these days. 

Oy.

t

2. profile image0
      Lexi de LionCourtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OMG. I think I've clicked on one of my ads once to test if it is working. Am I in trouble, too?

sad

3. Danette Watt profile image82
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

Teri,
    I read your two hubs and enjoyed them. It stands to reason they would be well written with your writing background and they were interesting as well. I can sympathize with you regarding the age and job issues and trying to learn a new way of thinking and technology.

I joined HP about 9 months ago to make money, thinking it would be easy. I had read the profiles of several 'seasoned' hubbers who were earning passive incomes of several hundred dollars. That's what I was hoping for. I have learned, though, that it takes time. And you have to write a lot and/or be active in the community. I'm not making diddly and I'm still learning about all the SEO, keyword, google stuff. Panda screwed up everyone (has to do with algorithms, only the truly geeky can understand and explain it, bless them).

I really can't answer your problem specific to the google ads and all that; as I said I'm still learning and have only earned about a total of $3.

Don't give up, keeping writing and more importantly, keep reading. There is a lot of good info on the Learning Center (link at bottom of the footer here) and there are lots of hubbers with tips on how to increase traffic to your hubs.

Good luck and welcome to Hub Pages!

Thank you, Danette... I know it takes time to get this figured out, it doesn't help that every writing site, while somewhat the same is different enough that you have to learn a whole new set of rules.  I just need to take one thing at a time. The traffic ads are back on my pieces... I'm not sure what happened or why it happened, and I've learned a couple of things so far. I have to remember that my learning curve needs to be a bit longer than my patience, whenever I take on something new. 

I've also read a couple of your hubs (I have to get used to that term. I write for Demand Media, too, when, in the forums, I said "stories" like radio or print journalists do, I learned to adjust that term to "article." Now, here, it's "hub." Of course, being a radio news geek, to me it will always be "copy." LOL) You've written some good ones that simplify the process, I will read them more carefully, thank you.

The thing I don't know is why the ads got yanked, but maybe I don't want to know.  I never click on ads (even though there are some I really am interested in knowing more about) but I do view the page several times after  I've written it... and I am not sure if that's a bad thing to do,

So, two questions: If I am reading someone else's hub and, at the same time, I am logged into HubPages, can I click on their ad if I think it's something that interests me?

Can I view my own pages with their ads? In other words, I do not want to go in to Preview mode, I want to look at my page  like anyone else would.

Thank you!

Teri

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No...we are not allowed to click each others ads.

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

It's best to not click on ads of fellow hubbers. If interested, you can often use the web address given in the ad by going directly to the site.

In answer to your final question, yes, you can view your own page as others see it, but don't keep refreshing the page for views.

It all takes time and reading through the Terms of Use, Learning Center and various hubs found in the topics section about writing online and at HP.

5. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

Hubs exist that explain stolen content procedure. Click on hubs and then search for a hub on that subject.

Thank you, everyone for your help, my ads are again connected to hub and Google. You're right, there is a big learning curve here!  Just when I think I've got it figured out, something else is changing, but that's the way of Social Media and I'd better get used to it, says this dinosaur smile)) Thank you to whoever at Hub and Google and whatever, reinstated my ad-connections or whatever it's called. Sure, it's only a few pennies a day but when you work hard on something, even a little bit helps. Funny how different it is now .When I had a real job, I worked half the time for more money. Writing is more time-consuming but it's still part of a "Career" and what I used to do, even though it really yields, quite literally, pennies a day. But I know there are people in worse shape than I am.     

Yes, I've been lucky so far about my stolen content ...when I've sent threatening emails to the offenders, I copy them my husband's law office email, I don't know if that "big stick" has helped but it is an option for me if we really wanted to do that.  I've used Google's forms before, it's been a frustrating thing. One thing about Suite, their new compliance dept. has been very helpful, I don't know if stolen articles will be a problem when I write them on Hubpages but I hope there's help from the HP people on that.  Funny, should I be flattered that these scraper sites steal my pieces? (published for Suite101) Yeah, it almost is funny.  My husband doesn't think anyone will steal the doll articles smile))))

Thank you again.

Teri

1. DonnaCSmith profile image83
        DonnaCSmithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Teri, Now at 50 you are just a "youngun" I am 64 and have been trying to figure out all this SEO stuff for over two years now. The occasional payout keeps me keeping on:o)

I too have been frustrated by some stolen content, too. Most of the time I have been successful in asking the website owners to remove it and replace it with a link to my hub/article. A few foreign sites have ignored me and they are not under American copyright law so I don't think there is a lot I can do and frankly is not worth the negative energy worrying about it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)