Viewings going through the roof!

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (75 posts)
  1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

Is there a problem with Stats? My viewings have jumped off the scale today, and I must be close to 2000 more viewings than normal, (gaining about 150 more per hour). This is way above normal, and lately although I have not lost (and in fact have gained) traffic following the subdomain changeover, my viewings are normally about the 2000 mark daily, (or thereabouts). Right now I am at over 3700 views just for today! Surely this indicates a problem somewhere!! (no change worth noting in clicks or income I might add).

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes Mine are crazy these last couple days. My clicks are up too. 10 clicks in one day, the first time this has ever happened.

I cant stop checking my adsense....lol

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

A significant amount of extra clicks could be the 'real deal' kmackey32, so this would indicate a Google change which may or may not be good, and may or may not last. Let's hope it does last if that is the case!!

1. Bendo13 profile image76
          Bendo13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This might just be legit traffic... I just got $5.59 from HP Ads yesterday and I've never had a day above $5 before.

Can't complain about that!

Well, that has just been topped by a $6.76... I hope things stay this way!

2. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

mistyhorizon2003, mine are now up to 3391 from 3275 in just about an hour.

3. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep -showing a 50% increase over the last day or two in HP stats. Google Analytics also shows the same surge. A new Panda release perhaps? or they accidently deleted all the old ones!?!

It would be great if they actually had 'deleted all the old ones' LOL. Ahhh well, we can dream smile

1. SimeyC profile image89

LOL True!

I just started searching for the Hubs that have two red arrows on Google. I was amazed to see these hubs on the front page of Google - and some of these are 'pretty exciting' keywords I searched for.

A lot of my well established hubs that have been around for years but never ranked well are suddenly on page 1 - this could be just a glitch where they'll rank for a day or so and go back down - I hope not though!!!

I've also noticed an increase in eBay and Amazon clicks......hmmm

4. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well I'm doubled my normal views..not as high as yours..and no earnings...sad

5. I am DB Cooper profile image63
      I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just out of curiosity, do you have summaries written for your hubs? When you look at your list of hubs under "my account", is there an "A" next to each hub? I'm just trying to figure out why some people have seen a collapse of traffic over the past couple weeks while others have remained steady. It seems the ones that didn't have the traffic collapse are also the ones seeing a huge boost in the past couple days.

I now have summaries written for all of my published Hubs, but only finished the last 20 or so yesterday, which was after the traffic began to go through the roof anyway.I didn't experience the traffic collapse in the last couple of weeks either, and then, as you know, my traffic suddenly began to go up and up and up over the last few days. No idea why any of this is happening, and not sure we will ever figure it out unless Google make a statement that explains it.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
          Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fat chance of that.
          Just keep doing what you are doing. Thumbs up.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't have summaries on most of my Hubs. My traffic didn't dip at all after the sub-domain switch.  It's now up by 40% and looks to be still rising.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I don't rely on HP stats.  Analytics shows a rise.

That is a good sign Mark. I am lazy where analytics is concerned, so kind of rely on Google Adsense to check income as a 'back up' source in order to verify figures. If Google viewing figures are wrong then it could explain why we are getting loads of views, but not much change (if any) in clicks or income, (sorry kmackey32, but I mean a really significant change in clicks, like 70 or 80 +).

For me it is a significant change in clicks. Many days I dont get any and somedays i get 1 or 2, NEVER 10......

Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I trust Analytics more than HP.  No reflection on HP but sometimes their stats get frozen, and Analytics shows which keywords, which pages and far more info.  I'm a stats junkie.  As I don't get much traffic every hit has me thinking "how can I make this better".

3. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

I am also seeing a pretty significant rise in Hub views. Would be nice if it were a lasting and actual result! lol
    Keeping my fingers crossed, but feet planted firmly on the ground...

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same. Figures are way up the last 2 days.

4. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Not looking good generally then, as many reporting viewings increasing at an incredible rate, but no reflected income increase apart from kmackey32, and that is a good percentage rate, although on such small numbers it could be the result of one person who has found a hub or a few hubs they like, and clicked on several adverts on each.

1. Lisa HW profile image61

The ones of mine that show the red arrows aren't the kind that are likely to earn much.  (I've got a really weird mix of Hubs.)  Although my feet remain firmly on the ground, I'm not sure that my own earnings/increase thing can even be figured.   Again, though, I'm at the end of - like - a 20-hour day; so I don't know...

5. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Holy cannoli! Me too!

Imagine if this is some disastrous glitch, and the HP people wake up tomorrow to discover another x amount of hours of it going wild.   hmm  That's just what they need at this point.  hmm

6. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

I'm kind of seeing a MINOR bump in $ as well...hmmmm. Too soon to tell what the issue may be. Possibly the sub domain thing starting to work? Just a guess (more like a hope). hmm

I'm still leaning toward thinking it's a major Hub-theft/copying ring stepping up activity and personally coming to find new stuff to steal.   hmm

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82

Analytics shows an increase in keywords.  So its unlikely to be the theft merchants.  Or an HP glitch. I can't see how it can be anything other than more keyword traffic being allowed through the Panda gate by Google.

As Will mentioned though, this has happened before, when a surge has been followed by a plummet.  Mental cruelty.

I was just thinking about the word, "cruel", when I noticed mine are up another hundred (I guess - too tired to think) in an hour.   It's going to be a tough plummet.  That's for sure.

2. K9keystrokes profile image85
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Glad to have info that it is NOT a theft situation, although Lisa HW is speaking from a very recent "theft" point of view if I'm not mistaken, so I can understand this thought process. I guess I'll just enjoy the up and hold on for the down... cool

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Just to confuse things further. It may or may not be a clue.

My violations button said I checked for violations ~ 4 hours ago. I absolutely, categorically did not check for violations at all this entire day.

Ah!  I just checked mine.  It says I checked for violations 118 minutes ago.  I didn't do the "general check for violations".  I did go and manually look at some Hubs that I'd noticed had violations on yesterday, and I did fix those.  I'm guessing finding and fixing violations (without using the "check for violations" thing is different?  or not?  )

Well spotted!  So does mine.  Maybe HP have automated the violation checker.  That would explain single extra hits on hubs presumably, and a glitch (as always happens) could explain massive numbers...

BUT...

My Analytics shows increased genuine keywords - and I don't see how a glitch could send what looks like actual extra searches.

I think I'm going to go with that theory and pack it in for the night.  smile  There's only so much wheel-spinning over the unanswerable a person can do before assuming the worst and moving on to something else.   smile

3. viryabo profile image93
      viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, mine too says i checked 8 minutes ago. Now that's a lie if there ever was one. The last time i checked was 2 weeks ago.
      So, what's up HP

8. Fiction Teller profile image59
    Fiction Tellerposted 12 years ago

Data collection by Google, I think.  AdSense wouldn't increase much during the surge unless the queries being tested are mostly relevant (as in, the right traffic is being sent) and similar to what you're already ranking for (as in, AdSense already knows what kind of ads to display).

After the test, the judgment. sad

Ah.  It's always good to go to sleep on good, solid, dose of a very ominous reality.    hmm  (..so glad I came back here "just one more time"   lol  )

9. Fiction Teller profile image59
    Fiction Tellerposted 12 years ago

(weak grin) Hope I'm wrong.

Yea me too. I think you are...lol

10. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

I woke up, looked at the stats- 50 per cent rise, and  thought "yes", but we will have to wait and see

11. paradigmsearch profile image60

Hpads should be a pleasant surprise in a few hours. smile smile smile

12. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Well, if this sticks, I'm going to write a lot more. I've been needing a lot of motivation participating on HubPages lately. Well, I've started school, so that's a bunch of time gone, but if this sticks, I'm seriously going to write more hubs. A lot more.

13. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 12 years ago

My traffic is up around 50% on both accounts (I have 2).  The increase in traffic is also reflected in Adsense stats.  I recently removed all my RSS feeds - interesting to know if the rest of you seeing this increase have done the same.  Anyway Lets hope the 'plummet' won't be too severe! smile

14. anujagarwal profile image56
    anujagarwalposted 12 years ago

It is really great to see such a huge jump in traffic (more than 60%). Hope, it will stay for long...

15. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Traffic still rising at an alarming rate. Now at 4669 views for today, which is well over double normal figures for me. Income not really changed much though.

Edit: I see yesterdays HubAds earnings are still pending, so I wonder if they think there is a problem and are checking it out before they award income to each account.

16. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

OK..I really don't want to throw a wet blanket on anyone...but I noticed that my visits from Google India are usually about 60 per a 24 hour period, it is currently reading at about 320 for the last 24 hours....I honestly don't know what to make of it or if India's visits have any relevance to the matter  across the board or are just particular to my case.  hmm

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that's it.  My India traffic is perhaps up a touch, then so are the rest of the google country searches.  The big one is google dot com, which has tripled.

17. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

You guys are making me cry.

18. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 12 years ago

Mine's up over 1000 views above what it typically was pre-Panda and my earnings are up a bit too, though not as dramatically. I've seen surges followed by crashes before on other sites, so I'm not celebrating yet, but I am definitely interested in finding out what's going on!

19. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

My views have risen steadily.  I was getting black pyramids for broken links but the youtube vids that were yellow are working.

20. paradigmsearch profile image60

hpads still has not updated for the day. Someone needs to drop by HQ and check on the staff. They might all be laying on the floor in shock.

1. SimeyC profile image89

lol lol lol lol

2. Lisa HW profile image61

...or else they're all completed immersed in wild and scrambling analysis in order to figure out where the big glitch is.

1. Uzdawi profile image73
        Uzdawiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I doubt that it is a glitch. Quantcast has been updated - and it is yikes

http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com

21. Gina Coole profile image59
    Gina Cooleposted 12 years ago

This is weird - my stats are still going up on both accounts - but not seeing a significant increase in earnings yet.  One account has almost doubled in terms of impressions and the other has almost trebled.  Does anyone know if there has been another Panda run?

22. CyclingFitness profile image89
    CyclingFitnessposted 12 years ago

Could it be that the removal of followers info from our hubs has opened up google channels in some way? Just a random suggestion

23. Bendo13 profile image76
    Bendo13posted 12 years ago

Thought I'd add in my own cheers of rejoice...
    My traffic has doubled so far!

Not sure what happened but if you think about the last wipe through that Google did, if so many people are losing traffic from the newest update then that makes room for others.

So perhaps as more crap drops the cream of the crop keeps rising?

Still waiting to see what HP Ads looks like from yesterday.

24. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Viewings now 6052 for today LOL. That is treble+ normal ,and HP Ads income still not updated, so something suspicious must be afoot or HP would surely have added our earnings based on impressions by now!!!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are to pessimistic, Misty. I thought they might be late just because of the increased volume. Now that they have finally been posted, I see an increase. Hope you do, too.

LOl Rochelle, you were right. I earned over $10 for yesterday, which is nearly treble normal, so the figures were correct. I guess with all that has gone on this year since Panda I am inclined to be rather cynical and 'look every gift horse in the mouth' wink

25. princess g profile image59
    princess gposted 12 years ago

My views are totally NOT going through the roof. I'm so jealous:)

26. ubanichijioke profile image75
    ubanichijiokeposted 12 years ago

Still checking to see any positive change. . .

27. anujagarwal profile image56
    anujagarwalposted 12 years ago

Traffic was almost doubled in the past 2 days but now it seems to losing its shine. It has been dropped by 20%.

1. Ms Dee profile image87
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same here, anujagarwal. Could it be because the weekend is upon us?

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think (and hope!) that's what it is.  I'm seeing a drop, although nowhere near 20%.  More like 5%, but expect it to continue to drop today and tomorrow just because it's the weekend and I always lose ground on Friday and Saturday.

1. anujagarwal profile image56
          anujagarwalposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope weekend is the only reason and we all will continue to enjoy this beautiful ride... smile

2. Richieb799 profile image74
          Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine is still around the 2000 views a day mark but weekends tend to go a little quiet

28. Azure11 profile image85
    Azure11posted 12 years ago

Traffic has increased to almost 3x normal levels for me in the last couple of days so I am really hoping that it stays that way!

Does your QR code still work with your hubscore in front of it?

29. profile image0
    Multimanposted 12 years ago

My traffic on google analytics is jumped up as well.  I guess I will just enjoy it while it lasts.

30. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Not much drop in mine, only a 100-200 or so, and that is not surprising being the weekend. Earnings on Adsense also up now, back to the levels I earned before Panda, and when I was only on Adsense with no HP at all. Amazing if you consider I am now on HPAds, so Adsense is only on my Hubs a small proportion of the time in any 24 hour period!

1. shibashake profile image82
      shibashakeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I still haven't turned on HP-ads. Do you do better with AdSense or HP-ads?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Turn 'em on, turn 'em on!

It will crucify your Adsense earnings, but the HP Ads income should more than compensate. HP Ads pays on impressions not clicks.  Plus the payout threshold is $50.

There have been a few Hubbers who've decided they are better off with Adsense alone, but only a few.  The great thing about HP Ads is that you can turn it on and off as often as you like, so it's easy to test.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Yes, I do quite a lot better with HP Ads, but I believe it depends on the type of stuff you write about, as some say they do better with Adsense. I would do the experiment I did and turn HP Ads on for a month and then compare your earnings with your previous months on Adsense.

31. BaliMermaid profile image57
    BaliMermaidposted 12 years ago

I have watched this thread from the beginning. My traffic is up to pre Panda levels - after moving to subdomain. It got to that level with the same type of action that has been described in this thread.

Since then it has fluctuated up and down - mostly around weekends by 30 - 40%.
    The difference is my clicks and revenue numbers have moved almost exactly with the traffic, whether it was going up, or going down. That was for both HP ad program and adsense.

It would bother me if I got a lot of increase in clicks without traffic because Google might wonder who was doing that clicking.

It would bother me if I got a lot of traffic increase without relevant and corresponding increase in clicks. I would wonder what I had done wrong.

I should spend more time looking at analytic s data but usually spend time trying to find ways to increase visitor time on each hub.  I have actually been able to get to the point where I don't look at adsense at all, except one time each morning.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)