MLM Hubs are now verboten, says Team Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (24 posts)
  1. kschang profile image87
    kschangposted 12 years ago

Apparently all hubs that promote MLM will be unpublished as they are found. It's okay to review the PRODUCT. Here are the actual quotes:

"Hubs that promote the products sold by a well-known MLMs are permitted, but Hubs that promote the use of MLMs are no longer allowed."

"... hubs [that] ...offers advice on how to pick legitimate [MLMs]... is considered promotion of dubious offers, and is not permitted on HubPages."

Feel free to flag the hubs that you find that touts any MLM for removal.

2. goldenpath profile image68
    goldenpathposted 12 years ago

I'm good with this move!  We're in a global down economy and vices of all kinds are out there to prey on victims who want to get ahead.  MLM, envelope stuffing and even network marketing is designed to take advantage of such an economy and of such a person.

In my opinion this is HubPages' way of quality assurance.

1. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Down With Avon!

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

An uninformed post. But, I'm not surprised.

I am surprised by this move by HP and think it's foolish/wrong.

kschangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I got a hub that explained what separates pseudo-MLM scams from legitimate MLMs, and it got banned too. smile  Had to repub it on my blog.

I don't mind. They don't generate much traffic for me any way. smile

3. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 12 years ago

And this sort of crap is why I wrote my most recent hub. I justed searched avon on hubpages -there are legit hubs from top hubbers over 2 years old - which will presumably now be banned - who does that help?

Changing the rules retrospectively is why many hubbers don't trust HP anymore.

BTW I think MLM is pretty crap myself too - but that is hardly the point here

1. Cagsil profile image70

MLM offer products. The how-to of matrices are an option for those who want to take part. They don't have to take part and can just sell the products. A common misconception about the MLM industry.

I spent 10+ years in the MLM industry, did a little recruiting and did some sales. Sales don't mean recruiting. wink

The problem is all those pseudo-MLM scams claiming to be MLM muddying up the waters. big_smile  And some people honestly can't tell the difference.

I mean, if you ask a MLMer, what is a pyramid scheme? They'll probably reply "it's illegal, and my MLM is not!"  If you ask them why, they start to stutter and hem/haw. Most of them don't really know the answer. They can't name the cases that defined the MLM industry today. Somehow, this was NEVER covered, so most MLMers have NO IDEA what's legal, and what's not. Add to that no uniform education standard on MLM (most just say sell stuff... AND recruit people) and you end up with scammy and scary high-pressure sales tactics.

2. recommend1 profile image59
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

And this is EXACTLY the point - when hubs are written in accordance with a current TOS it is not acceptable to retrospectively change the rules and dump all that work and the accumulated online juice of time.

4. Richieb799 profile image73
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

A lot of MLM's do make big promises though, a lot of internet MLM websites never take of and its only those at the top that benefit

5. QuestionMaster profile image80
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

This has actually been around since, I believe, approximately March. It only applies to hubs that actively promote MLMs - if you write a hub giving all the facts, especially if it shows their faults, you may get an automatic warning on the hub but it won't be unpublished. I know, I've got a couple.

I think it's a fair rule (unlike many of the other HP rule changes) because it's impossible for HP to personally check out each MLM and decide whether it was legitimate or not. And, if they allowed people to promote one, but not another, then they'd face accusations of being partial to a particular MLM. A blanket ban on promotion makes more sense.

Add to that the reverse-psychology spammers... They put "Is X a scam?" as the title then proceed to explain why X is NOT a scam... using all the bogus reasons. And yes, they're here on HP. Tons of them, who thought this is like those article spam farms.

6. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

So if you wrote an article reviewing an MLM and another non MLM (home based business and national chain) how does that count?

7. Maralexa profile image83
    Maralexaposted 12 years ago

Where did this quote come from, kschang?  The reason I ask is because what you have in quotes is written very bady.  I have not yet seen HubPages write this poorly.  So I wonder where you got this edict. 

This has nothing to do with brake12's latest hub where she is 'promoting' the use of aroma therapy and in particular, safe candles, as a wonderful way to relax, rejuvenate, calm down, etc.  She shows where one can purchase these types of candles and also mentions Amazon as a supplier. 

Also, how can you ban anything written about Avon??  Taking on the Avon products has helped many, many, many stay at home moms and others trying to make a few extra dollars in a classy way, stay alive.  These are legitimate ways of earning an extra income from product sales and are NOT in the class of scams!

MLM, network marketing, and "envelope stuffing" are in no way similar.  "Envelope Stuffing" is attractive to greedy people who want to make money quickly and find that they are sold a scam.  The scam is the envelop stuffing.  Then they have to send out multiple letters, emails (spam) to suck others in.  MLM and network marketing are both legitimate ways of doing business.

So before we all make comments we may regret later, how about finding out what HubPages' rules are first!

This is not a thread about MLMs and whether they are good or 'bad'.  This is about whether or not hubs can be written about generic products and pointing to some ways of purchasing the products. 

What brake12 wrote in her hub is EXACTLY what I want to read.  It was beautiful and helpful.  Sorry for utilizing your hub as an example, brake12.  I think it deserves being a hub of the day!

1. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Maralexa - I wish I could read the rules. Maybe this info has come from hubbers who have unpublished their hubs per instructions. Someone has a bunch of hubs with links to what may be a specific home based product. Maybe that is one example. Hopefully, someone can clarify this issue.

2. kschang profile image87

Came straight via e-mail, no editing was involved.

I'll post the entire e-mail if you wish.

3. kschang profile image87

Here's the actual e-mail in question, I've removed my e-mail address

Team HubPages to me
      show details Sep 6 (5 days ago)

team@hubpages.com
      Hello,

Hubs that promote the products sold by a well-known MLMs are permitted, but Hubs that promote the use of MLMs are no longer allowed.

Please feel free to flag any content you believe is in violation of this rule.
      - Hide quoted text -

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Kasey Chang <XXXXXXXX@gmail.com> wrote:
      I have revised the hubs. They now no longer suggest ANY sort of legitimacy on MLM at all.

http://kschang.hubpages.com/hub/Network … efore-You- Join
      This one lists 7 ways how MLM takes advantage of vulnerable people.

http://kschang.hubpages.com/hub/How-to- … a-Network- Marketing-Opportunity
      This is purely a research article on what sort of information can you rely on when it comes to Network Marketing. Most info must be taken with a truckload of salt. It has no endorsements. It is basically "how to parse Internet research".

http://kschang.hubpages.com/hub/9-signs … lly-a-scam
      This one is obvious: 9 signs that shows you for sure you're in a scam

http://kschang.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-distinguish-a- Legitimate-MLM-from-a-Fake-MLM
      This one I will delete myself.

However, I would suggest you review this policy. Is it HP policy now that NO MLM hubs are allowed? Should members start flagging all MLM promo hubs or even hubs that claim MLM is a great income opportunity?

--KC

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Team HubPages <team@hubpages.com> wrote:
      Hello KC,

As you have stated, these hubs not only criticize MLMs but "...offers advice on how to pick legitimate ones." This is considered promotion of dubious offers, and is not permitted on HubPages. Let us know if you have any questions.

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Kasey Chang <XXXXXXXX@gmail.com> wrote:
      Dear HP,

I am kschang on HP. Several of my MLM criticism hubs were moderated on
      as "dubious offers", and I don't know why. There was not a SINGLE link
      to an existing MLM in these hubs! In fact, all of them are CRITICAL of
      such programs, and urges caution, and offers advice on how to pick
      legitimate ones! Just look at the URLs!

http://kschang.hubpages.com/hub/Network … e-You-Join
      http://kschang.hubpages.com/hub/How-to- … a-Fake-MLM
      http://kschang.hubpages.com/hub/How-to- … pportunity
      http://kschang.hubpages.com/hub/9-signs … lly-a-scam

What do I have to do specifically to bring these hubs into compliance?

--KC
      --
      Thanks,
      Team HubPages

8. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

Thanks kschang. Still a little confusing. I guess it says you can review a product but not evaluate the Mlm co as good or bad

9. Maralexa profile image83
    Maralexaposted 12 years ago

I thank you too, kschang.  It is still not clear if HP hubs can or can not mention products sold by MLMs.  "...offers advice on how to pick legitimate ones." This is considered promotion of dubious offers, and is not permitted on HubPages. Let us know if you have any questions.

If the above quote comes from HP, what is HP saying about MLMs?  Can we get a clarification on this, please?

Not only would I like to share info on products from one or two MLMs, I would also like to discuss how joining the program allows a person to get product for fewer dollars.  Surely there can't be anything wrong with that?

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

MLM is a viable business model. It works well for many, both those at the top and those at the bottom. It should not be a topic that is banned.

1. Cagsil profile image70

Agreed. wink smile

2. kschang profile image87

It came from HP. See my "entire email".

One of my hubs offers advice on what separates a legitimate MLM vs. a scam. It was unpub'ed.

"Joining the program allows a person to get product for fewer dollars"... are you aware that the case "FTC vs. Omnitrition" established that "self-consumption" is NOT a valid method to comply with the "70% sales to ultimate user" Amway rules, and thus, would make the company liable to be considered an illegal pyramid scheme?

10. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

I don't think it is a bad move at all. Try to put yourself in paul's shoes and think about it. I agree that some of the changes in past were not good at all but if they're cracking down on adult and MLM niche hubs then it's perfectly fine with me. None of the top content farms are allowing MLM on their website, so why should HP ? We're talking about content network with VC investment and not solo funded wordpress built revenue sharing site.

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No topic should be excluded from being published on HP, including erectile dysfunction, pedophilia, masturbation, penises, Forex and MLM. Many people write informative articles on these topics without promoting them. The problem is that HP has no screening system to separate the promotional from the informational.

Then there's the Google crap, what you can and can't write about in order to see Google ads on your page or in order to not get banned from Google.

I have no interest in putting my feet in Paul's or any other HP owner's shoes. It is what it is, and I know the rules. But, IMO, the rules need considered revision.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)