Why do only white's and black's run for President.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (29 posts)
  1. daskittlez69 profile image76
    daskittlez69posted 12 years ago

I have never heard of an Asian American, Hispanic American, Native American running for President of the United States of America.  Why do you think that is?  Do you think being from a certain ethnicity other than African American or Caucasian would make any differences on what they could do to this country as President?

1. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Marco Rubio will be president one day, he's cuban. Bobby Jindal is Indian and he was considering a run.

1. cooldad profile image60
        cooldadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I live in Florida, he's the whitest cuban I've ever seen.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It depends on where their allegiance is.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you implying that Asians and Latinos tend to be more loyal to their ancestral countries than to the United States? Typical. Why don't you just come right out and say it?

daskittlez69posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree Ralph.  Hell Native Americans are the only ones that have far enough roots.  I am Native American and German and I have no allegiance to Germany.  My wife is full-blooded Chinese and she has no allegiance to China, and she is a first generation American.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
            Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who cares? Many years ago, after listening to some of his friends in a bar conversation cite their ancestry with pride, my uncle, after the others had finished and looked at him for a response, said "Indian, n-word and dog." (By that he meant that he didn't put any stock in ancestry.)

2. profile image0

You seem even more tightly-wound than usual today Ralph.  What's up with that?

3. cooldad profile image60

Wouldn't it be cool one day just to refer to a politician as a person instead of by gender or ethnic designation?  Who am I kidding?  This is America, that will never happen.

Honestly, I think white people are terrified of any person one shade darker than they are.  I'm white, so I can say that.  I do think that one day, many, many moons from now, there will be enough breeding between cultures that everyone will be one shade of light-brown.  Then racism may not matter.

I don't think race has anything to do with how someone will perform as a President.  What matters is who the candidate gets his/her money from.  Big tobacco, the unions, the religious right; they don't care about color, they care about supporting whoever will support their specific agendas.

I wasn't trying to play the race card by any means.  But I find it said that I cannot remember personally ever seeing someone run for President that isn't "white or black".

1. cooldad profile image60

It is sad.  I wish a gay, half asian- half-half mulatto hermaphrodite would run for office, it would get my vote.

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

2. Mighty Mom profile image76
            Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can hermaphrodites be gay and straight at the same time?
            Just sayin'.

2. TMMason profile image61
        TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you really think so?

I mean I have heard that all my life... but I do not think it really ever will be so.

I just think there will always be races... I do not think it necessarily follows that just cause we all intermix, if indeed we "all" ever did, that the result would necessarily be brown or ten?... or any one color.

I am not arguing about it mind you... just wondering if you really think the formula works like that?

And what others here might think about it.

Is it really so simple as you add us all together and poof... we are all golden brown?

4. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not true.  Jimmy Smits ran a few years back and won.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Nope. I would have to think that they would not be able to get the collective support required to run. That's all.

That is a fair assumption.  It seems that a big portion of African Americans voted for Obama, if nothing else just to see someone other than an old white guy into office.  IMO

3. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Many have encouraged Bobby Jindal to run.

4. ThoughtSandwiches profile image75
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 12 years ago

Former New Mexico Governor...Bill Richardson (a Hispanic) ran a cycle or two back as I recall.

5. Charles James profile image67
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

It takes a lot even to get to the starting block as a Presidential candidate. No woman has yet been selected by a major party, and women are actually a majority of the population!

6. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Lots of people wont vote for someone who seems very difference from them...

hence the long time before a Catholic was elected, a longer time before a black man was elected... and an even longer time before a woman will be elected.

In addition, it takes a lot of money to run, and I would guess that the pool of multimillionaires is less amount the visable minority groups.

Finally, many people who come from minority groups feel that the 'system' is not made up of people who would support or welcome their participation

7. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Excellent thread.
    Given how recently women and blacks were even extended the right to VOTE in this country, it's not surprising that prejudice still exists.
    Politics has historically been a white males club (not unlike big business).
    It's changing. Slowly.
    Honestly, I don't think that having more minorities on the SCOTUS or in Congress makes any difference.
    When we're talking POTUS we're talking about the singular face of the United States. That is ONE PERSON that (theoretically) all Americans agree is our leader.
    Unfortunately, politics also brings out our inner fears and prejudices.
    There are people out there who would NEVER vote for a ____________(Female, Black, Asian, Mormon, Jew, Muslim, Hispanic, Gay -- fill in any differentiating factor you like).
    Even if that candidate were 10X or 100X more qualified than the alternative, they simply can't get past their prejudice.

It's sad, really. For a country built on immigrants, we have an awful lot of lumpheads in our melting pot! lol

MM a few years ago I remember the UK had to sit down and decide "who or what is a Englishman"  because the people living in the UK has changed so much in the last 30 to 40 years.

8. profile image53
    MochaChocolateposted 12 years ago

I personally don't think it would make a differences if a person besides African American or Caucasian ran for president. The only thing I see wrong with something like this is that if a person that didn't speak english very well were to try and run for president then that would be difficult. The reason I feel this way is because most of the world have english as a language that they can speak and if the community itself can't understand what the president is talking about then how would we be able to trust the president in the things he wants to try and fix, and even make better in the world.

9. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

I see everyone as a person - Not a colour. 

Your Colour doesn't lead the nation - it's your wisdom, intellect, personality etc etc

10. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

Wonders if Obama considers himself a African American ? Or  just  American?
    I hope it is the latter .
    ray

1. Charles James profile image67
      Charles Jamesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I understand President Obama is also partly Irish.

2. profile image0

LOL  You haven't listened to any of his speeches??

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't see that this question applies any more to him then any other person--we all have genetics that come from somewhere else.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)