Ready...Set...who's your favorite mythological creature?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (29 posts)
  1. BakerRambles profile image71
    BakerRamblesposted 12 years ago

Mythological creatures are the basis of every culture, but what do they do exactly, and what do they stand for?  When you name your favorite mythological creature, no matter what part of the world, tell the world why you choose this particular creature.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image94
      cat on a soapboxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My favorite mythological creature is Pegasus. Horses are the epitome of beauty, grace, and strength. The addition of wings to such a beautiful animal is an amazing image. Just imagine a ride on its back while flying over sweeping panoramas! It would be the ultimate in combined power and freedom.

BakerRamblesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pegasus Is a mighty figure indeed, and to ride of him would be a staple of existence.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Perhaps Poseidon.  I love the sea, and to live there among the fishes and reefs would be great.

He is definitely the epitome of water, and the way he can simply male waves to conquer any civilization is enough to cower.  His strength is matched only by zeus himself.

3. austere125rivers profile image61
    austere125riversposted 12 years ago

I saw a movie when I was kid back in Morocco, it was about a giant man with one eye.
    I was so frighted that I have never forgotten than movie.May be it belongs to Greek mythology.

The cyclops, great part of Greek mythology

4. cat on a soapbox profile image94
    cat on a soapboxposted 12 years ago

Sounds like Polyphemus, the cyclops, that Odysessus blinded and cleverly escaped in Homer's The Odyssey.

5. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I think all gods are great mythological creatures, the way they have of pointing their fingers and creating universes, or turning people into stone.  My favourites are Zeus, Wotan, Isis, Osiris and Jehovah.

6. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

a politician that tells us the truth smile

1. jj0466 profile image61
      jj0466posted 12 years agoin reply to this

haha nice...

7. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

Sirens. Dragons are cool too. smile

I would never want to be caught in a sirens singing reach, doomed I would be.

8. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

lol lol lol

9. makusr profile image61
    makusrposted 12 years ago

My favorite is Lord Hanuman ( Hindu mythology ). Not because He is is mighty and powerful, but because He was a selfless worker whose sole purpose in life was to help others. By doing this He became the most revered one just as revered as Lord Rama himself.

10. eapratte profile image60
    eapratteposted 12 years ago

Dragons and fairies. I think it's amazing how so many cultures share similar ideas about each. I love studying fairy lore. It's a lot like studying a real race with its many cultures and people. I mean, we even hold a mass amount of stereotypes about them. So many people think Titania is the queen of all fairies and that all fairies are small and winged. Oh, and that Ireland is the sole origin of fairy lore. And it's always great to hear about accounts of fairies, because even though belief in fairies isn't as mainstream nowadays, there are people who still believe in them and have experiences to tell. And forget Disney, fairies can be friggin' scary.
    Fairies represent an archetype, a collective culture phenomenon, and hold a mystery about their existence among us, so they're really a timeless allure to people. And so, even if they aren't "real" as a race, their cultural significance is worth studying.
    Okay, that ends my rant about how fairies are awesome.

Thank you for your rant on fairies, I believe that people should be shown the unique backdrop that fairies and all other creatures around them, goblins, gnomes, etc.  These small and large creatures, some intelligent and some stupid, and many plain mischevious that will steal your baby and replace it with a shapeshifting one of their own for example.  Thank you for your answer to that.  Have wonderful rest of your say.

11. rikabothra profile image61
    rikabothraposted 12 years ago

Definitely dragons!

Love the dragons, they breath fire and fly, ruling the skies, how couldn't love them lol,

12. classicalgeek profile image82
    classicalgeekposted 12 years ago

When I'm in a bad mood . . . Medusa. There are days I would love to turn people to stone by just looking at them.

Ordinarily, the Djinn. A really fascinating class of creatures. And who wouldn't want to have their wishes fulfilled in the blink of an eye?

BTW what three things would you wish for?

Mine are:

1) an environment that would take care of itself (no more cleaning, tidying, buying supplies)
    2) true love
    3) too personal to discuss

13. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Pegasus - hands down.

14. Glen619 profile image62
    Glen619posted 12 years ago

My favorite creature would be the centaur and also i like the figure and personality of Heracles.

15. MichelleA2011 profile image61
    MichelleA2011posted 12 years ago

In general, unicorns and dragons have always been my favorite mythological characters . . . something about the beauty and uniqueness of the unicorn, the magic they have about them and the imposing power of the dragon.

16. ThoughtSandwiches profile image75
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 12 years ago

um...moderate Republicans?

17. Shaisty-Chase-Tea profile image61
    Shaisty-Chase-Teaposted 12 years ago

The greek horned god pan is my favoirte, although EYE believe he is real, he sent me a message on my computer.... it said, plz click like but in the facebook font... if you know what i mean

18. Extinct Soul profile image60
    Extinct Soulposted 12 years ago

Fairies, dragons, good men and Pallas Athena..big_smile

19. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3186/2962977587_9b175ba595_z.jpg?zz=1

I always liked the Phoenix

1. jj0466 profile image61
      jj0466posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like the Phoenix as well

20. Shaisty-Chase-Tea profile image61
    Shaisty-Chase-Teaposted 12 years ago

i do agree about that jean grey wasn't cool until we found out the full extent of her powers when she became the Phoenix... she was just the mind that could push weight almost as much as Dr. Xavior... but Rouge was cooler because she would ripp any power from any hero and keep them forever, just like the wolverine, my wolfin eyes liked her too,... (another example of why i like Pan)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)