unpublished hub rant - come on HP ebay and Amazon now prohibited?????

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Appletreedeals profile image68
    Appletreedealsposted 12 years ago

Geez... I seem to recall HP advising we would get a "friendly reminder" to correct hub violations before un-publishing them... Bull!

Received an email today advising a hub had been unpublished due to linking to prohibited sites. So ebay and Amazon are prohibited sites now?

(and if this were an auto-filter violation, then HP needs to realize they may have a problem that is pissing off a lot of hubbers)

Hub has only three links:

1 to ebay, 1 to Amazon, and 1 to another hub.

So now we can add ebay and Amazon to this hub page's list of prohibited sites??
        Acai Berry
        Web Hosting
        Get Six Pack Abs
        Sales of eBooks
        Pay Day Loans
        Get your Ex Back
        Male Sexual Health
        Male Enhancement
        Cash Gifting Schemes
        Free Downloads
        Tobacco, Alcohol, Drug, and Gun Sales
        Get Rid of Man Boobs
        Reverse Number Lookup

I do not publish spam or scraped content
    I do not include excessive links or intentional keyword stuffing

But, these type of actions, (and on many issues inaction), are making it harder and harder to feel like HP is worth the effort.

GA

1. sassyabby1 profile image65
      sassyabby1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think eBay or Amazon in the capsules are the problem. Have you done any direct links in your text content. Also check that you don't have an affiliate link somewhere in the Hub content.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Ebay and Amazon are not banned/prohibited.

There are quite a few site that are prohibited, but those two are not and I don't think HP would shoot itself in the foot by making the banned/prohibited.

I have plenty of Amazon capsules on my hubs and none of the have been unpublished. There are rules with regards to Amazon in place, which will get your hub unpublished. I also think that they have put in place new rules about Ebay as well.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I have eBay and Amazon capsules on all my Hubs without any problems.

I think you'll have better luck contacting admin for further clarification to resolve this, as no one here will be able to see the unpublished Hub.

4. seamist profile image60
    seamistposted 12 years ago

I haven't had any problems with Hubpages and Amazon either. However, I do know that clickbank is one of the prohibited sites. In the past, I've recieved a few notices about that.

5. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I would contact team@hubpages.com and let them tell you what the violation is, you could be surprised. Hang in there.

6. Appletreedeals profile image68

@ALL - thanks for the responses

I have contacted team

It was ebay and Amazon links - which have never been prohibited before - not capsules

Team has been helpful and responsive in the past, and will probably be so this time also.

This issue just added to the frustration from previous HP knee-jerk reactions, - which necessitated the need for a rant.

I have enjoyed and benefited from HP, it's just hard to see so many one-size-fits-all "solutions"(?) impact productive hubbers to the point that primary efforts are directed elsewhere.

GA

1. QuestionMaster profile image79
      QuestionMasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did you link directly to the items, or did you use their linking tool?

If you do it directly, they don't get a cut. smile If you use their linking tool, they do.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True, but we've always been allowed to use links in the text until now.

Several Hubbers have used contextual links to link to Amazon UK items, for instance, which we can't otherwise feature. 

So Appletree has a valid point - this could affect quite a few people.

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It depends entirely on what his hub was unpublished for. Linking to a banned domain when he only had 3 links - Ebay, Amazon and another hub suggests that either a mistake was made, or he had another link at one time but deleted it, leaving perhaps only a full stop carrying the link.

I kept getting this broken link warning on one of my hubs. I couldn't find anything outlined in yellow. So I took ALL links off, and still the warning persisted.

Not once, but several times, I ran my mouse over the page, looking for the change to tell me it detected a hyperlink.

Then one day, I tried again. The hyperlink was a full stop.

Aaargh, how frustrating!  However if I read his post right, he said the team had told him it was the eBay and Amazon links?

Appletreedealsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@Marissa - Team has not responded yet. They did not say it was the ebay and Amazon links. I said it - because they were the only links in the hub! From the beginning. So it could not have been another prohibited link, that was removed, that could have triggered the violation.

The most frustrating part was that although HP says we get a warning before a hub is unpublished, my only real warning was the email telling me it was already unpublished.

Granted, there was a warning on the hub header about the prohibited link, warning me the hub could be unpublished if not corrected. But does that mean we have to look at every hub every day checking the headers for warnings?

I don't have as many hubs as a lot of other prolific hubbers, but even so, how long would it take to click on 176 hubs to check them for warnings, even if I only did it once a week?

I had my rant and am more calm now. I know that HP is struggling to fix many issues, but some of the most frustrating ones seem to be either simple coding, or even worse, common sense, issues that a site as big as HP should not be experiencing. IMO.

I also understand that the changes in HP policies means that I have to change the way I use it, and I am, but that is hard to remember when I run into issues like this involving previously acceptable work that wasn't "iffy" or "borderline" in any way.

GA

I don't think we get a warning any more - that was only when the rules were new. 

I thought you were now supposed to be able to click on the header and it would specify exactly which link was prohibited - did you try that?

Finally, do you have a RSS feed on the Hub anywhere?  I had some Hubs unpublished for prohibited links.  Turned out it was my RSS feed to my own blog - somehow it got misclassified as an affiliate link.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Apple,

If you use Amazon or Ebay links without using the capsules, then they are treated differently.

If you use Amazon or Ebay links, as embedded links in text, then the 2 links to one domain rule will apply. wink

Appletreedealsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@ Cags - yep, aware of the multiple links/one domain issue, but there were only 2 links in the whole hub - 1 to ebay and 1 to Amazon

GA

7. Appletreedeals profile image68

Color me red!
    Pelt me with tomatoes!
    Accept my pledge of pennence and most humble apology!

It was a link in an RSS feed that I did not even remember was in the hub.
    It was below the comments section, and since I thought I had removed all the feeds from my hubs, I didn't look past the comments and didn't see the remaining feed.

My apologies Hubteam - I am properly chastised.

GA

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

1. Cardisa profile image89
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apple you need to give yourself a good spanking....or someone can do it for you... lol

8. Appletreedeals profile image68

Great when it rains it pours. Now I have another chance to be wrong.

Now the same hub is double-unplublished - this time for watermarked or pixelated photos.

Oh my, I may not be 20-20 anymore, but I can still see well without glasses, and all the photos look fine to me.

What the hell does pixelated mean?

I thought it would be a blurry or over-enlarged picture, but since none of the referenced photos fit those descriptions, I guess I don't understand pixelation.

None of the photos have watermarks - and to be sure, I looked at them in a photo editor, magnified 500% - no watermarks.

No rant this time - and I have responded to the team.

but, geez - if the pictures are clear, and they are, they are jewelry pics - then what does pixelated mean?

GA

ps. yes, I looked past the comments section this time too.

1. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Reduce the photos to quarter width and see what happens, sometimes the system will pick up on pixels that are of a certain resolution if if we can't detect with the eye.

1. Camping with Kids profile image68
        Camping with Kidsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@Cardisa - thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll wait till the team responds so I'll know what their standards are. For future reference.

GA

9. Camping with Kids profile image68
    Camping with Kidsposted 12 years ago

Team responded
    It was their mistake
    hub  republished

Life goes on

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)