Walk By Faith Not By Sight???

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mdawson17posted 15 years ago

My wife has a plaqe that is nailed to the outside of our front door! That says "We Walk By Faith Not By Sight".

Is this realy possible? Can human nature (As It Is Today) walk by full Faith?

Trully I feel that each person that reads this sign as they walk into my home, I have lied to them!

I was wondering what my fellow hubbers thoughts were on the subject of "Walking By Faith And Not By Sight"!

1. RKHenry profile image65
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Were Para fell short in his answer to you, is that you should know anything is possible if you put your heart and mind to it.  Is it possible sure.  Can it be done without accidents, sure it can.  Look at the Tibetan Monks for guidance.  They are people, who live in this modern time and rely solely on faith to guide them.  Many people are like that.  You just have to make the leap.  It's the same for all of us non-believers alike.  Dedicate your heart and soul to something, take a leap of faith, good should come of it.

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I honestly always try to walk by faith and not by sight, although it can be complicated. I believe the plaque gives to many food for thought, especially when they don't know which direction to turn and if they believe in God , they will definitely understand what is written.smile

1. profile image0
          mdawson17posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right but what about the ones who do not believe and ask how can you walk in believing in the unseen and unknown

I'm a non-believer and I answered that question already. 

Every day, whether you know it or not, you walk about with your head in the clouds, not seeing or knowing what's occurring right in front of you.  And well, seeing how you just posted your respond some nine minutes ago, you made it yet again.

2. SEM Pro profile image83
            SEM Proposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Everything that happens began with an idea that was initially unseen. "To think is to create". Some may not believe in faith, but they believe in something - and that's what they create.

2. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like this quote .

"Fool make money some people shout,
      Poetry you will die broke without a doubt.

I must write I keep telling them,
      I have been given the sign to use the pen."

Took me five years ,full time to put my book together and I trusted god or had faith.Got attitude form many when I was writing. I am no English professor,was a Navigating officer in the Merchant Navy and when I was given the signs to become a poet I was very confused initially.
      Today things have fallen in place which I knew they would but I needed faith to get where I am. smile

2. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

It has potential as a way of saving energy. Especially if we can extend it to driving. Let's try - no headlights, no street lights. Do you think it's going to work? smile

1. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You mean that's not normal? Seen a few of those before.smile

3. my-success-guru profile image57
    my-success-guruposted 15 years ago

Faith is very powerful. It's the best way to pull you through something challenging especially when you don't know how to achieve your dreams. If you have a big enough faith you can find the how.

1. Jewels profile image83
      Jewelsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that will and trust in yourself to achieve what you innately can?  How much is faith and how much is hard work, persistence, tenacity, knowledge and innovation?

2. DHResumes profile image59
      DHResumesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Faith and action are necessary for change. Faith can carry us through tough and inexplicable times. Action will help deliver us to our goals. Here's a link to my article on dealing with the stress of job searching (how to keep the faith) http://hubpages.com/hub/Must-Read-Guide … -the-Faith. Good luck and blessings to everyone whatever your challenges may be. Keep the faith.

4. Paraglider profile image87

My reply was part-joke. But here's a serious challenge. With faith you can move mountains??? Prove it. Let's take Fuji. I want it moved to Australia. Surely the combined will of the faithful can achieve this? Concentrate. I'll give you six weeks.

All jokes aside Paraglider, only you can make it happen.  It you want to move a mountain, take a leap and start digging.

1. Paraglider profile image87
        Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's not faith. It's a spade.

Sure it's faith.  If you believe you can dig a hole to China, then you have faith in yourself to do it.

Misplaced faith, because I can't. Can you?

Faith is believing.  Believing a can succeed in a task, is believing in yourself.  This whole thread is about believing or having enough faith in something. 

Yeah, I can say that I believe in myself.  I can do anything it I just put forth the effort and have "faith" in myself. Apparently this is all just a joking matter to you, so I'll take that to be you are one with little belief in yourself.

Take it any way you like. I know my capabilities. You apparently don't know yours if you are hanging on to the notion that you can move Mount Fuji to Australia. Come on - I gave you a whole month lol

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

With enough people of faith you could move a mountain one rock at a time.  smile  Might take longer then six weeks though. tongue

1. countrywomen profile image61
        countrywomenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am sure "one rock at a time" is possible to build huge structures like Pyramids but moving a mountain (especially since I have been to Himalayas) seems a little too much to expect from faith wink

5. Redhawke profile image61
    Redhawkeposted 15 years ago

There's a fine line between imagination and reality...faith is that fine line.  If you don't believe something exists..nothing will convince you otherwise (take ghosts for example).  However, I have the greatest faith that someone will retaliate with "if I hit you over the head with a shovel, will your faith make you not bleed"???  Before you do.....my answer is ABSOLUTELY (I got my helmet on)LOL

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Ummm, frankly never seen such a move. Ever. How many people do you need you think? wink

1. profile image0

Just one wink  Jewels is right... somehow people must think that faith is some sort of magic act.  Though I would consider it magic if someone said, "hey let's see if we can move mt. Fuji"

Most would say, you gotta be kidding me, you cannot move a mountain yet faith would have it that, if you believe that they will come and help you move the mountain but it wont be easy...

...yeah I am up for it if you are!  Now I could move a mountain on my own but without help from others I probably wont accomplish it in my life time. wink 

It's called hard work but faith goes on... when one believed I can move a mountain and worked their whole life to accomplish it, another would see it and regard it as something unexplainable.. Why would a person live their whole life to move a mountain... and so another picks up where I had left off until the mountain is moved.

After my time, and many others times have past, and the mountain is moved by the will of people to prove that you can move a mountain by faith...

Many of the unbelievers will still say, no they moved it with their own hands and stupid labor because their God is a slave driver and wants people to suffer...

We say nay, we moved it to prove that in God all things are possible, but without God you labor for nothing but yourself. 

Which is fine, you know, labor for yourself but even you Misha, I don't see that you do anything for only yourself. How silly I must sound to believe that labors for God bring wealth, which is to make the impossible, possible...

and then in time they would say... remember the story about the girl who moved a mountain by faith?

7. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 15 years ago

It sounds like faith is seen as some sort of magic and gives the impression that you don't have to DO anything, it will just happen.  I'm wondering if this gives people some sort of OUT clause.  At the end of the day, isn't it about faith in YOURSELF that you can be the best you can be and do the best you can do?  I've not seen mountains move thru faith personally.  I have seen people overcome obstacles because of their own doing.  It was always inside them, they just had to believe they could do it.

Jewels- You do have a nice way of putting it. You know when we were kids my mom would give us some home made naturopathy medicines and reinforce that it would help us in feeling better and so on. She would insist on us to have faith and then surprisingly we would be feeling better. I guess what I am saying is that faith is a good thing as long as it is positive or realistic (again these are relative based on each person). Once we had a teacher who told us that she once corrected an exam paper and where the student wrote that "Believe me teacher I studied this but I am not remembering now. God Promise". Well the teacher wrote back to the student "next time when you take God promise make sure you ask God to remind you the answers while writing the exam" big_smile

In the first point CW, was your mother asking you to trust her? Cause naturopathic remedies do work and our grandmothers were good at it.  And the exam - yeah, I had to study otherwise average or below would result.  God wasn't going to write the answers on paper for me.

She would make some concoction which would be so bitter to consume for us. We would try to avoid taking it by saying it is not going to do us any good and that's when she would say that faith is as important as the medicine for the cure. I guess some amount of psychology(faith) helps even our physiology (body) to accept and benefit from it.

The second one was meant for some students who would not prepare well in advance and go to temples/mosques/churches before/after exams to get positive results. smile

8. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

My Goddess, I would say you lost me. smile

Well, in truth I think you are lost yourself, yet to be polite I am saying you lost me tongue

You can't show me a documented example of any such thing. And you know it, if the Bible says Moses made a corridor in the Red Sea, it is not a documented example for me smile

All what you typed above is a pure speculation based of your belief, which cannot be neither observed, nor replicated. Sorry, it does not work this way for those who don't believe in the same thing you do smile

1. profile image0

You can't find documentation that it happened because it never did happen. Just saying that if people really wanted it, it could.  Faith that is all it is.

2. profile image0
      mdawson17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

All beliefs are based upon speculation (Or Faith) We were not created by nothing so please share with us your thoughts on your God.

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

smile

10. Redhawke profile image61

Examples of Faith....

1.  I have full custody of my kids when EVERYONE said it was not possible.

2.  My girlfriends daughter was diagnosed with kidney failure...the end result.....no kidney failure or fault at all.

3.  My friend had a daughter that was preggy....doctor said baby were dead and wanted to do a DNC...end result....baby was alive and well and pregnancy is NOW expected to go well.

These are only a few things that have happened in the past few months.....faith...by definition means belief without the need of certain proof...for me, faith comes with belief and it's been working every single time!! Give it a shot......might just work for you too!!  As far as moving mountains or splitting the Red Sea....I have no desire to do so and I don't think the Almighty does either (with no mountains...the hikers would complain...God works for all not one).

There's likely to be explanations to your above 3 points. Saying it is faith when you've omitted allot of details is not convincing me that faith or miracles happened here.  Are you saying you did nothing in point 1 and you gained custody of your children, or did you put forward a case to the courts to give good reason for you getting that custody? What element was faith?  Was it that the judge make a decision in your favor that you say faith was the cause?

11. Redhawke profile image61

No Jewels.......the judge made no decision.....sh she agreed upon it 2 days prior to actual court date (though I may have won, where I live at, it was highly unlikely).  I know her as a mother, and I cannot explain it any other way, except for faith...undenying...unwavering faith.  As far as the other ones......I cannot prove but only know.  My point is...I was a "disbeliever" for such a long time....to me science held the keys.  I did not come here to argue, or anything like that, just to put out some points that I know.  Miracles happen everyday...be aware of them and when they do happen be aware of where they come from.  This post, from what I gather, is about walking with faith, something that I found hard to believe in for so many years...until it happened for me. I truly hope it happens for you (and others)...until then God bless you!

Redhawke you misread me, and there is an assumption you think I need this to happen.  I don't do things blindly. I've had many spiritual experiences so I'm not missing out at all. But I don't hold that faith should be used in place of good old fashion intelligent action.  The post is not just about faith, it's about whether one needs to use sight too.

Not wanting to get personal at all, why did your wife give you custody?  Was it faith, or did she decide on a different direction for herself?  Had she not made a decision, the judge would have done it for you and you have no way of knowing at this point what the decision would have been.  You assume you would have lost, but would you have?

12. Paraglider profile image87

If a million people of faith can move a mountain one rock at a time, so can a million unbelievers. Historically, most attempts at moving mountains (i.e. doing vast projects) were assigned to slaves. Did the slaves have faith, or just weals on their back from the masters' whips? Did the slave masters have faith?

13. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

Blind faith suggest that you are not absolutely certain of the outcome but you will do as you need to do however big or small, believing it will turn out in your favor.

Faith without works is dead. If Redhawk had not done whatever he had to do, he probably would have not gotten his children. 

Blind faith isn't a scientific formula where you can calculate all the probabilities to achieve the outcome you desire because then all it is is "slave masters" lol "knowing" (not faith) that if they whip the slaves enough they will do what they are told.

The slaves themselves have "faith" that if they just do it they "might" have a chance to live. Because history would also have it that people who are slave drives like such, are also likely to kill you anyways.

Blind faith could also be that a person really doesn't know what to do in a given situation but knows they gotta do something and have faith that whatever it is they do, it will be the right choice.

Because we really don't always know the outcome, life deals us situations that we have never been in before.  You can learn as many things as you need to but whose to say that you will ever need it?  Likewise, life always seems to give you something you did not anticipate and from there you just have to do something.

It's not so hard to figure out.  smile Whether it is faith in God or faith in yourself... it is still faith.

I think that's a good answer, but it doesn't quite work for me. I am quite often faced with an 'impossible' task or requirement. It may not be obvious what to do, or there may be no guarantee of success. But what is clear is that doing nothing won't work. So, I decide on the potentially most sensible approach and go for it, with determination and effort. But I don't need to convince myself that I can do it. And in fact I try to dissociate myself from the outcome as this is a distraction. So determination and effort are important but faith doesn't really enter the equation, for me.

14. SEM Pro profile image83
    SEM Proposted 15 years ago

I believe faith removes doubt. We have oodles of doubt about all sorts of things we cannot see. Removing doubt moves those contradictions and obstacles out of the way too.

True leaders can’t get themselves, yet alone others, motivated enough to help realize their visions and goals with even a tiny bit of doubt in the way – in other words, unless they have faith. So ye of little faith wanting to move Fuji to Australia: if you yourself don’t believe it's possible, why would anyone else want to prove it could be for you?

mdawson17, I’d recommend that if you feel you’re lying to your visitors, either crank up your faith, or replace your sign with one that says, “When we achieve enough faith, it removes even the obstacles we can see.” smile

1. profile image0

yeah, I see what you are saying about faith removing doubt, though I would say it begins with doubt and becomes the will.  Eh, I dunno for sure but I like what you wrote. smile

1. SEM Pro profile image83
        SEM Proposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I like what you wrote too Sandra. I think the slaves had faith that one day they'd be free though, rather than faith in working to stay alive. In Egypt they kept their faith and were then freed; in America they kept their faith and now we have Obama.

Perhaps the confusion lies in the timing we'd prefer for the outcome we envision. Your point about action was a true key too. Doubt can immobilize us - or make us quit when things don't go our way quickly enough. With faith we are reminded that it's always darkest before the dawn.

1. profile image0

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)