My best-performing hub was copied.

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

A hub of mine was copied on a blogger blog. I saw the copyright symbol on my account and found the blog. Clicking on "report abuse" I filled out their form, and the article was removed in a few hours. It was very easy, thanks to the notification by HP and quick action by blogger.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nice to know Rochelle. smile

2. jfay2011 profile image60
      jfay2011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow.  I always copyright my stuff.  Then they can get in trouble for doing it.  I'm glad you got it removed.  Good to know what to do in case it ever happens to me.

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All your hubs are automatically copyrighted (is that the word?). Look at the writing at the foot of each hub, it says there somewhere.

Doesn't stop the thieves unfortunately. Half of them can't read, never mind write.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Glad to hear it was removed. smile

3. anglnwu profile image70
    anglnwuposted 12 years ago

I'm glad you posted this. A few of my hubs were copied on other websites but I don't know how to go about it. Can you direct me to the website that I can submit the complaint? Thanks!

1. Isabel Melville profile image83
      Isabel Melvilleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

https://www.google.com/adsense/support/ … t&rd=1

Usually works for me!

However, if you can find a 'Contact us' button on the offending blog or website, sometimes just writing an email of complaint will be enough for them to take it down.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've never had to do this before so others will have a better answer.

Sometimes it is just a matter of contacting the site owner and requesting removal, but the learning center has other info about filing a claim.  Here's a hub with info:
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/how- … -complaint

I had one other one copied a couple of years ago-- but it was on a site for substitute teachers. Since the subject was for that specific audience (and at least it still gave me credit by name) I decided it would probably be best to leave it there and remove the original from HubPages.

This recent one was on blogger- which does monitor it's contributors so I just found the reporting button and did it there.  It was copied with Amazon ads and my graphics as well-- but not my name.

4. BradyBones profile image81
    BradyBonesposted 12 years ago

I'm very glad you posted this.

I haven't pesonally seen any of my writing copied online except through traffic aggregators that use rss feeds to generate content for ads. Even at that, I'm sure recent updates to google's search algorithm made that a less than desirable tactic.

I guess the only thing I've ever really worried about having copied is my literary work. I guess that's because I spend countless hours writing and editing my short stories. The thought of having someone abuse the anomymity of the internet to steal my hard work makes me... sad.

Good. Glad you felt it was helpful.
      If you look at your hub account page, you will sometimes see a red "circled c" copyright symbol behind the title. Clicking on the hub will show a warning at the top with a clickable link to find the copied hub.
      Getting links to your hub is great-- but some people get greedy, or else they just don't know better.
      It is easy to copy, but the copiers need to be called out.

1. BradyBones profile image81
        BradyBonesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree, Rochelle. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Sharing your experience like this is very helpful for those of us who are a little less experienced.

Again, thank you for having the courage to be a mentor. smile

5. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Glad you had a swift and successful resolution, Rochelle!!
    Still doesn't make up for that horrible feeling of violation seeing your work on someone else's site, tho, does it? sad

Kind of strange.. as I said, it has only happened to me a couple of times. Maybe there is some sense of validation in the fact that someone thought it was worth copying. But it is still WRONG.

6. anglnwu profile image70
    anglnwuposted 12 years ago

Thanks Rochelle and Isabel for your prompt reply. At least now I know what to do. I've left it as it is as I didn't know what to do. I must have at least 5 of articles copied elsewhere--the whole thing! Very grateful.

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Copyright is a fairly meaningless concept for the small people of this world. If you did get together the legal fees to pursue a case, you would find that even if you won, at best you would be awarded damages reflecting your financial loss. At the rate of $0.01 max per day per hub which is my experience of earnings here, your damages would not even scratch the surface of the legal fees you would have had to pay to get to this position of Pyrrhic victory.

8. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

that's very good news,glad it wasn't so stressful
    I've had hubs copied and never got a notice..

9. ripplemaker profile image77
    ripplemakerposted 12 years ago

I had several that were copied...some were removed but there are still a few left.  sad

10. KeithTax profile image72
    KeithTaxposted 12 years ago

My toughest copyright issue involved another accounting firm that lifted my hub and used it on their website to promote "tax help" services like those you see on TV. Go Daddy would not remove the infringement because the site was hosted elsewhere. I called the company from the info on their website and got the run around.

Then I asked my attorney to draft a letter demanding $2,500 for use of my work. Nothing. Did a skip trace and found the owners personal assets, filed suit, and informed him we would attach his home if we won. Recieved a check for $2,500 and legal fees a week before the court date.

Now that he paid he can use my hub on his site. If he changes his web address he will need to pay again or face legal action. In my case he was located in the Chicago area. If the infringement happened outside the United States this would not work.

We must do what we need to do to protect our work. Pay me or hands off.

1. anglnwu profile image70
      anglnwuposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Keith, That was ingenious and I bet you were tenacious in your effort. I find one of mine in website selling eyeglasses, another on a website informing people about lyme disease. At least the one on lyme disease, attribute the article to me but the other one--lifted wholesale, no shame and when I tried to contact them, they could not be contacted.

I don't have the tenacity to do what you do, so I'm leaving it as it is for the time being. Want to take up my case? JK. Thanks for sharing--I just wish other sites have the strict plagiarism code like hubpages does.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89

I guess he picked the wrong 'hubber' to exploit. I'm impressed.
      Most of us would not know where to start on an action like this. We all thank you. Your action helps to protect us all.
      It must have been a bit of a headache-- but your payout was not at all out of line. Thanks.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Consider yourself followed. smile

11. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Good for you, Rochelle. I'm having a devil of a time getting some of my copied hubs removed.

Interesting, though, that the notice remains on my hub-- even though the whole blog disappeared the same day I reported it.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have some of those, too.

Wth over 800 hubs-- you must have some of everything. How to you even keep track?

12. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

GRRRR. my second best viewed hub was copied-- (also my best earner for Amazon)

I sent a note to Weebly like this:

"My article published on HubPages on -- date-- has been copied without permission or notification
    the copied site is:
    -- site of copy
    My original posting is:

-- my article url--
    I would like to have the copied article removed, before taking the step of filing a DCMA.
    Thank you."

automated reply:

"Thanks, your submission has been received. We will review the complaint and take action as appropriate."

I'll let you know.

13. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

I have had this happen lots of times and sometimes they get left on the sites despite my complaints! I have got fed up trying to deal with this problem! I am glad to hear you had success in resolving it!

Another blogger bites the dust and is no longer published.

The weebly site even had a dedicated email for copyright abuse on their contact information. I think the larger blog-hosting sites are getting more serious about this. For an independently hosted blog it might be a lot harder to get results.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)