Witnessing:

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image49
    Chosenwomanposted 12 years ago

Do you find witnessing to people to come natural or do you struggle at times? Many years ago I thought witnessing was very hard I use to struggle I guess I was afraid that someone would ask me a question that I wasn't able to answer. I had to really seek the Lord on how to witness to people, and what I come to learn and know is witnessing is very natural, all I had to do is tell people a testimony of where I was in life and what the Lord done in my life. Let's face it we all struggle with something we may not go through the same thing but we struggle and we can identify with each other...Witnessing for me is something I enjoy doing because I get the tell people that no matter how bad things might be for them no matter what they are facing God loves them no matter what. And that He want to come into their lives and change them.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Telling someone you believe in God is one thing, living up to the 'expectations' is something much more difficult.

Best just ask God to help you to live right each day and leave the worrying up to Him.

2. profile image0
      Virgil Newsomeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In all honesty, a person can only witness what they have experienced firsthand.  You cannot witness on speculation or hearsay.  Witnessing should come easier with time.

3. Evolution Guy profile image58
      Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't do it. Keeping your delusions to yourself is best. Glad you enjoy it - pity everyone else does not. Still - why would you care about anyone else? As long as you get something out of it - nothing else matters -right?

4. mom101 profile image60
      mom101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Chosenwoman,  if witnessing is what you feel led to do, then do it, and enjoy it.  Follow YOUR heart.  Do not let negative nah slayers dampen your spirit.

A common mistake several people make in their witnessing is they feel the need to change the person they are witnessing to. That is not their duty, right, job, or any other title. Another mistake is that some witnesses want to condemn. That too is not their job.

Jesus, as it is written, while on the earth, went into bars sat down beside a drunkard and showed him love. He washed his feet.  A woman of the evening, He took up for. No, He didn't make fun of people, He didn't down them for who they were, He showed them love and compassion.

Sin, we all sin. Each and every day. The problem with that is SOME think that their sin is not as bad as his/hers. It is almost funny to think about, you know, the way people carry on. When in reality, it is rather sad.

There is a verse, Many are called, few are chosen.

It takes a person with a heart of love and compassion to be a witness.

I see a lot of young boys with these big holes in their earlobes. It hurts me to see it, and I have caught myself thinking "I bet....."  I am trying to get past that, but mercy, that's a different kind of fad than the bell bottoms we used to wear. lol.

But, yeah, if you got the heart, by all means, you can be a very effective witness. But, one more thing, make sure it is the person you are teaching about, NOT the denomination.

Many blessings to you on your journey.

5. heavenbound5511 profile image65
      heavenbound5511posted 12 years agoin reply to this

God led me, allowed me, & is responsible for getting over 1,000 people born again through street ministry ,on the job & other various places.

It all started after I received Jesus & God has given me a heart for people. My heart goes out for these suffering people and I wanted to do something for them. I started to pray that God would lead and guide me to whoever he wanted me to talk to-I pray over the people,myself and the area before I go out. There is a lot of spiritual warfare stirred up when we go out to share Christ- so I must stay prayed up & stand my ground with God's word making satan's attempts powerless to me and the people I am ministering to.

So God did and does lead me to talk to people- some warnings are given, God even had me driving down a street and said stop at this certain house that was unknown to me- so I did and a pastor lived there. I remember standing at this door and kinda freaking out inside because I didn't know what I was to say- well right when It was time to talk, what I was to say just came and flowed- it was a warning about his church, putting on the whole armor of God, #1 goal spread the gospel of Jesus, to take authority and seek God or he was going to loose his church to what was coming- (meaning demonic attacks). God knew this was a pastor's house & I didn't have a clue! God is awesome!!
      God leads me to encourage and show love to prostitutes, drug dealers and on & on- anybody he leads me to- God loves all people no matter what they have done. Many of them accept Jesus as their Lord, Many of them heed to warnings that were given to save their lives.

One of the those times that sticks out is, when I was driving down a road I passed this man walking down the side of the road at night. God wouldn't allow me to stop seeing this mans pic in my head.
      That is one of the ways God lets me know who ,when to stop. Other times I just hear Him talking through the Holy Spirit or give me a sense of urgency to stop now!.
      So I turned around & stopped & picked this man up, He had told me that he was on his way to the bar up the street that was about 2blks away. He said as he was walking he had been praying to God, & that he was a back sliden Christian. He said that the people who had jumped him a yr ago tried to do it again the night before but, the cops showed up. So he said he was going to walk into that bar & pull a gun on anyone he'd seen the night before to shoot them, or that he would of ended up shot by pulling the gun. This is what he told me after I pulled into the bar parking lot & had ask the question are you born again.
      Thank God I opened my mouth & spoke -that He told me to stop and pick that man up. He ended up having me take him to speedway instead & then I dropped him off at his home close by. I encouraged the man with whatever scripture that God led me to say to him that night. Thank God for this man!

Another time that stands out is when my husband was driving & we pulled into a UDF to get coffee or something & there was a man a the pay phone.

God drawled my attention to him & with a sense of urgency told me to go talk to him. I didn't know what to say other than are you born again. So I ask it to him & he started crying & told me that he was a christian and that he was about to go home and commit suicide.
      He didn't tell me why, but he wasn't going to after God had me talk to him. God was sending a sign to this man not to do it & don't give up!
      Thank God for He is always on time & never to late! These testimonies that I'm telling you of what God has done still bring tears to my eyes.
      God is awesome and will use anyone that is willing to share Jesus with the world- we can only do this by God leading us, we can only speak the right words for each individual if we have the Holy Spirit of God. So easy just ask for it in Jesus name.
      Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share!
      [ smile

6. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One can tell others the opinion one has; in no way it is a witnessing, I think.

7. kess profile image60
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Witnessing is hard when you do not know the truth......

Other than that you need not do anything.

8. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Witnessing for me is something I enjoy doing because I get the tell people that no matter how bad things might be for them no matter what they are facing God loves them no matter what. And that He want to come into their lives and change them."

Speaking as an agnostic, I don't consider that to be witnessing at all. I consider that to be obnoxious.

Witnessing is living a Christ-like life to the best of your ability and demonstrating that peace and love through your interactions with other people.

To give you an example, the best witnessing I've ever experienced was a guy my family met at a campground once. My toddler wanted to pet his dog and he let her do that, struck up a conversation, and ended up inviting us over to share his dinner of freshly caught rainbow trout. He even offered us his boat so we could go catch some the next day at his favorite fishing spot nearby. We didn't take him up on the offer, but it was a really beautiful display of kindness and generosity that's stuck with me far more than some random person telling me God loves me ever would.

1. profile image52

I agree.

1. profile image52

Everybody should be a witness of the Creator God by becoming in His image; it will be most productive and promote peace in the world.

9. pylos26 profile image69
      pylos26posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I got arrested once for "witnessing"...uhhhh...a cock fight.

2. Hyphenbird profile image82
    Hyphenbirdposted 12 years ago

I love to tell about God's love and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. I actually have many opportunities to share with others. That is such a blessing to me, and I pray, for them.

3. profile image49

I am like you Hyphenbird I love telling people about Christ....it is a blessing..

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Before you witness something, I thought it had to be real and that you needed to have seen it yourself first.

So this is witnessing what exactly? That you read a mythical book and thought it was real? lol

1. mom101 profile image60
      mom101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey ole friend. Hope all is well.

Now, on with the battle.

Earnestshub, you do have children??

Yeah, the science part of reproduction has been explained to a teeeeee, but how did it, (science) get into a person and cause all those different senses? I mean, if you breed roses, they basically all look alike. If it were merely science, don't you think we'd all be pretty much cloned? What makes one sad might make another happy, etc......see the road i am on?

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, thank you I am in great shape and hope you are too. smile

Boy do I have children! Even my twin 6 year old grandchildren are as different as chalk and cheese as I am with my twin.

All understandable, all know and understood scientifically, no need for any invisible entities. smile

5. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

Why on earth, would you believe that people really?? want to know. If your god has done so much to help you, then why do you think he would not have done the same for others? Surely he can reach them by his self? Why do you feel that you are the one that needs to reach people on his behalf? Are you special in some way? If you didn't feel confident about sharing this with others in the first place, perhaps this is an instinct you should have followed.

6. earnestshub profile image80

Yes, There is a verse, Many are called, few are chosen.

It is based on the megalomanic belief that the ones who are chosen are better than those who are not.

A very sick psychology the way I see it. Of course I see it without the indoctrinational guilt scaring me half to death that you apparently have.

7. earnestshub profile image80

Sorry but I have no praise for this sort of self glorification by proxy.

You have convinced all those people that there is an invisible entity running their lives??????

That I find disgusting I must say.

Although from your rant I assume they were mostly "the fallen" lol

8. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

I have no problem with "witnessing" if it is done in a way that is respectful.  I believe that the Golden Rule applies very strongly here.  Do unto others as you would have done to you...

In other words, unless you would be willing to have a Muslim or a Buddhist go on at length about their beliefs to you then you shouldn't attempt to convert someone of another faith.  Unless you would be receptive to a Hindu telling you that the reason that you are suffering is because you don't believe in Vishnu, then you also shouldn't tell another person that God will make their life better.

Witnessing should never be done at funerals unless you are very certain that the person you are talking to shares your faith and beliefs.  Trying to convert someone in mourning is the worst kind of opportunism and extremely unChristlike.

Nor should you ever ever continue on when someone says they are unwilling to listen.  The bible says nothing about "thou shall browbeat non-believers until they cave just to shut you up"... I don't think that Christ would be happy with his words being used as a bludgeon.

That being said, my personal opinion is that witnessing is great among people with your own beliefs as a reaffirmation of your love of God and a way to build strength within your own community.  I think that it is more likely to drive away people that are sitting on a spiritual fence then it is to bring them to the flock, especially when it is done heavy-handedly. 

Perhaps the best way to show the world about the spirit of the word is a simple "God Bless You" while distributing winter coats to the homeless or food to the hungry.

9. profile image49

Yes it is hard when a person don't know the truth, but if they live the lifestyle of Christ it's not hard..it comes very easy. I do understand some are scared because they fear if someone ask them a question they can't answer, they fear they may freeze up...I totally understand that but I am no longer like that it's very easy for me to tell others about Jesus...

1. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It seems that this is your version of the truth, and not really objective truth.  When someone convinces him or herself of a delusion, it is not difficult to assert the delusion as absolute truth.

I would presume that this would be like me telling people about Santa.

10. A Troubled Man profile image58
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

Witnessing = lying selfishly to others to make yourself feel better even when those others don't want to hear it.

11. earnestshub profile image80

Is this the image you would like man to follow for peace in the world?

"One day a man who had an Israelite mother and an Egyptian father got into a fight with one of the Israelite men.  During the fight, this son of an Israelite woman blasphemed the LORD's name.  So the man was brought to Moses for judgment.  His mother's name was Shelomith. She was the daughter of Dibri of the tribe of Dan.  They put the man in custody until the LORD's will in the matter should become clear.  Then the LORD said to Moses, "Take the blasphemer outside the camp, and tell all those who heard him to lay their hands on his head.  Then let the entire community stone him to death.  Say to the people of Israel: Those who blaspheme God will suffer the consequences of their guilt and be punished.  Anyone who blasphemes the LORD's name must be stoned to death by the whole community of Israel.  Any Israelite or foreigner among you who blasphemes the LORD's name will surely die."  (Leviticus 24:10-16 NLT)

1. profile image52

This is wrongly attributed to Moses by the deviant scribes ; the truthful Word of the Creator God does not mention such event ever happened.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Would it help you to understand if I posted another hundred of them?
        Or would they all be written by a bad prophet?

1. profile image52

One at a  time; in one post.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)