What is the worst Christmas you've ever had?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 12 years ago

I think mine was about twenty years ago. On Christmas Eve I had a burst pipe upstairs that flooded the downstairs. We just got that sorted when both my TV and Christmas Tree lights packed in. On Christmas Day my oven bloody well packed in and we ended up having tinned food for Christmas Dinner, heated up on a small emergency ring! I honestly thought there were gremlins or something in the house! But then I thought to myself afterwards - at least I have a home - even if it is wet inside - and at least we had something to eat, as opposed to nothing like so many poor souls on our planet!

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The worst Christmas was the first meal I cooked on Christmas day for my parents - it was Salmon and it was really good! My mother had a very bad cold and I ended up taking her to the ER - sadly we found out 12 months later that she had cancer and six months later she was gone! It was a long time ago and now I can think on the times differently - I can now accept that my Salmon put my mother in Hospital!

Seeker7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

A very sad story about your Mum. I tend to see New Year now as the worst time since loosing my Mum, as she died on New Years day. Since then the celebrations - apart from bringing in the New Year at midnight - lost its appeal to me after her death.

2. WD Curry 111 profile image57
      WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This year.

I'm sorry about that WD Curry111 - there will come a time when things at this time of the year won't feel so bad. I've been there I assure you and it does pass.

3. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This year is going to be the worst Christmas ever. It's the first time I'm away from home for Christmas as I'm at University and so would be missing the small reunion as I got my University SEMESTER END EXAMS!!! from the 26th!!!

Hi Lobobrandon, that's crap being away from home. I remember that for two years I was away from home at Christmas when I did my nurse training. We had a small party and so on, but it's not the same as being with your family. But in your case you have exams as well - that's very poor timing by your university!

1. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a yearly affair having exams after Christmas that's the problem here in India sad

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
    Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years ago

The year my X took my kids away (moved them out of state) 4 days before Christmas.

Oh that's awful! What a terrible thing to do to you and the kids! I hope you at least saw them at some point?

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That happened to me 6 years ago. I've never celebrated Christmas since. It's just another day.

I'm sorry about that IzzyM - it's a terrible thing to happen at anytime of the year, but Christmas seems to make the knife cut deeper!

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
        Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yea for me too. I send them cards/money and presents when I can, but for the most part Christmas ended for me that year too.

Here's hoping that somehow, someday you will be able to enjoy Christmas again!

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

If it things carry on as they are it will probably be this X-mas. Last week I had to have a new clutch put on my car, £250. Yesterday I had to have it m MOT'd and needed some welding doing £295. Today my hamster got wedged between the door and frame, he tried to run out of the room as I walked in, I didn't see him and closed the door. I had to rush him to the vets and it turns out that its a head injury, he has a 50/50 chance of making a recovery. He staying at the vets tonight for observation. £200.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Consider something bigger for a pet next time. Though a pet is a pet, I would  have done the same, sorry for your bad luck. i am still living without any personal documents that had been stolen, not in a Christmas mood either.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm gutted. I don't want to see him suffer but I also want to give him (I have discovered from the vet, that little fella is in fact a girl) a chance. I'm sorry about your misfortune HomeGirl. We do have a few weeks to Xmas though, maybe things will buck up. smile

2. Seeker7 profile image81

Oh Hollie I hope she's alright! Here's hoping that things will start to look up for you!

Hi Home Girl, same with you - I hope your documents get found.

4. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

Honestly though, My worst X-mas was the first without my dad. 2007.

I know how you feel Hollie about your Dad. It's not really Christmas with me, but the New Year - or New Year's day - that's when I lost my Mum. The first Christmas was bad enough, but I actually felt it more on Hogmany and New Year's day. I can still have a good time at Christmas. But I've never celebrated New Year since, and Mum died about 12 years ago. It just lost all meaning for me after her death.

5. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

My worst Christmas was quite a few years ago. I'd been diagnosed with a hemangiopericytoma (probably misspelled) at Thanksgiving, been sent out of state for the surgery and got out of the hospital on Christmas eve. I wasn't able to travel to get home, we weren't prepared for the holiday, all of the restaurants that were open were booked solid with reservations.

I had Christmas dinner at a Denny's with a giant eye patch. I felt, and looked like a poor pirate. It was one lousy holiday.

That sounds like a very painful condition! I bet you were glad when the holiday season was over! That was a really bad thing to have to go through at any time of the year!

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

This thread sure does let people know that they are not alone. This is a good thing.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're never alone with schizophrenia. Damn I wish I suffered from that! Who said that?

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

1. carol3san profile image59
          carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ny worst christmas was the christmas after my husband died.  It was impossible to celebrate without him.

Hi Carol, many of us on the forum here have been saying very similar things about loosing a loved one at Christmas. I think it is even more hurtful and bitter because everyone and everything around you is telling you to be cheerful! If I see anyone who is down hearted at Christmas, I never say to them to 'cheer up' or similar, because I always think that they may well have a very good reason to be down and heartbroken.

7. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
    Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years ago

What a depressing thread... sad

It's kind of turned into that - not deliberately - the next time I'll ask for 'what's the funniest Christmas you've ever had'. Hopefully we can then cheer ourselves up!!!

On a cheerier a note, I know it's only a hamster but she survived the night and we've brought her home. She can walk for more than a few steps now without falling over..

WOW!! Some good news for this thread!! Oh I'm so glad the wee girl is fine!!!

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

(((group hugs)))

Still wish this thread had not been started. We can poke fun at things, but they are not the same without our loved ones.

Time is a great healer.

Each year hurts just a little less, and hopefully one day day, the sun will shine again for all of us smile

9. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Dec. 22 our second son was born, by C-section.  We held him briefly, and I left to get something to eat.  A half hour later I found that they had transported our son to a different city as he was having trouble and the weather was bad enough they couldn't be sure of doing it later if they needed to.

Mom came home after her section just in time for Xmas, but our new little boy was in intensive care 60 miles away.  I had visited once but Mom hadn't seen her new son since shortly after birth and was not able to travel yet.  It would be nearly a week before she could see him, and then we could not even hold him - just reach a finger in to touch lightly.

All was wonderful by the next year, but that one sure had a damper on it.

I'm not surprised you didn't have much fun that year - for folks who have kids, it's them that makes the holiday really worthwhile! But to have your newborn baby so far away - that's really sad!!

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was tough that year, but by the next year we could look back and have a little extra in the cheer basket that we weren't repeating the past.

10. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

Look forward to reading some of the happier and funnier posts on your new thread, Seeker7 smile At least in some cases here, there have been positive outcomes to at least some extent, as is maybe the case from my worst Christmas.

My worst Christmas was 2008. I had just effectively lost my business to Credit Crunch and it was two weeks before Christmas when my ex suddenly announced like a a bolt from the blue one Saturday lunchtime that she had decided we were separating.

Long story short, I was shattered. I packed a suitcase and a holdall and put all the rest of my possessions in the bins at the back of our complex. (Stupid, knee-jerk reaction - I know now...) I lived about four miles from Heathrow Airport and I phoned British Airways the next day and asked them to get me on the first flight to Glasgow - and home. I spent the next few months living on a camp bed in my brother's junk room. That put quite a strain on the relationship between my brother and I, to say the least...

Now, I am like Izzy. I pay no attention whatsoever to Christmas. Curiously, I very much retain my Christian beliefs but the commercial side of Christmas and all the pomp and circumstance holds about as much appeal as a Victorian bed bath. I always make sure I have enough work to do me 18 hours a day from around 23rd December to 3rd/4th of January and I'm fine.

Problem sorted! smile

Hope all the other issues seem better this year and are resolved where possible...

Christmas doesn't mean much to me either. I just go through the motions for my two teenagers, although saying that, even though my son is now 19, he stays in on Xmas eve with me and his little sister. I enjoy that, but I'm also a lot happier when we get to January. smile

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know it's very different with children/young adults involved Holly. It sounds at least as though they care for you very much and that is very important. Good news also about the hamster and I hope it gets better day by day... smile

Thank you Gordon, we should all contribute to a "sod Christmas and New years club" My hamster (as daft as I sound, I know, seems to be improving) smile

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
            Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, Hollie - and I'm sorry I spelled your name wrong in the last post! Could that be classed as a Freudian Slip...? wink

1. carol3san profile image59
              carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seeker7, you are very kind.  I didn't mean to sound so depressed, I was just answering the question.  My husbond died several years ago and christmast for me now brings me happy memories of the time we shared together.  I also have 2 grown children and 5 grand children to enjoy my life with.

Hi Carol - no need to apologise at all. We've all used the thread to share our sadness and for most of us, although heartbreaking, it has helped us to realise that we are not alone in finding ourselves thinking about past Christmases and the loved ones we miss.  Huge hugs to your grandchildren - what would we do without kids!!!!

Hi Gordon - I'm female, but what is it about these other females that causes them to dump their menfolk at the, so-called, season of 'good will to all men'????

On another note - I enjoy Christmases at the moment really because of my nieces and nephews. And also because I've usually had to work them for the last 20 odd years. When you have to work Christmas it's a pain being away from the family. So it's a novelty for me being around them.

I also look forward to 'me' putting up a new thread about 'funny' Christmases!big_smile

11. paradigmsearch profile image60

"What is the worst Christmas you've ever had?"

The one that is coming up. There is no doubt about this whatsoever.

Sorry to hear that. I hope your troubles will fade and things wont be as bad as you fear.

12. paradigmsearch profile image60

http://ndep.nv.gov/boff/upshot.jpg

13. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

2001, the year my 1st Husband died 2 weeks after being diagnosed with bowel Cancer. He was 48. He died on Nov 23rd, and we cremated him on my Birthday, Dec 4th. I cancelled Christmas that year!

That is very sad misty  - I think it's awful how this disease takes the life of men and women who are still in the prime of life. I don't blame you for cancelling Christmas. I've said this to so many people over the years, to be themselves at Christmas. There is no law that says you have to go around with a permanent grin on your face. And when people go through what you, I and many others have gone through at this time of year, being happy is the last thing we feel like doing!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
        mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Seeker7, I try not to think about it too much at Christmas now, but it never completely goes away, and I don't believe it ever will.

You'r right, it never does go away completely. But it does become more bearable. And the nice thing is, is that one day you can actually remember them with not only tears but with a smile as well at all the great times they gave you. For someone like me it's even easier as I do believe that we meet them again - but not everyone does share this belief. But for all of us, it does get easier.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
            mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Like you I am certain we will see each other again, and this helps. He finds ways to let me know he is around wink

14. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

xmas season 2011 will be a tie with the worst....i'm planning to turn it around somehow...i think i can manage it with a little help from my friends and a lot of help from my mind

Hey! Good for you! I think you're already more than half way there with such a great attitude!!! I'll keep wishing and hoping for you as well!

15. ausis profile image68
    ausisposted 12 years ago

Man that is bad so sorry for your loss. I know it's no real consolation but I finally earlier this year lost  my last grandparent. But it is always so hard when they are directly related. I cried for a week at least when we lost our last dog:(

The first Christmas after a loss is always the hardest. I just kept reminding myself, when It was my Mum, that she would have wanted us to be together and to have some fun. So for her memory we tried to do that. Not the first Christmas but afterwards it got easier.

So sorry about your dog! I still cry buckets over the wonderful dogs that I've had over the years - they are so beautiful, great friends and a great support. I do believe like us though, that they go onto better things!

16. kerryfine profile image60
    kerryfineposted 12 years ago

My worst Christmas was the year I was in Kindergarten. I got Chickenpox right before the holiday, and spent my entire break sick and itchy. It was a long time ago, but at that age Christmas means a lot, and so do breaks from school; both of them were ruined.

Hi Kerryfine! Ouch! Do you know, I've never actually had Chickenpox, but have seen plenty of kids with it - and it has to be one the most horrible things a kid can go through! One of my friends had a wee boy and it was the first Christmas he was able to understand a little about Santa and so on. A week before Christmas he caught Chickenpox, it was such a shame. Not to mention the itch, but he was very unwell generally. Luckily on Christmas Eve he did feel so much better and on Christmas Day he was well enough to enjoy it..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)