Why is there so many religion? Do you believe in any?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. RPirate profile image61
    RPirateposted 12 years ago

Hello hubbers.

Would like to hear some opinions! Why do you think there are so many religions, that say those who don't believe in their god are going to hell. So that means we'r all going to hell. If not, that means religion doesn't make sense at times, right? What's your opinion?

Do you believe in any religion? And why?

1. calpol25 profile image60
      calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi RPirate I suppose it all branches down to the old chestnut of who is right and who is wrong, you will never get any one to agree on this because everyone has their own beliefs. I believe no body is right and nobody is wrong as I dont judge, I believe in god and am not ashamed to admit it, but at the same time I dont believe in raming it down peoples throats either and keep it very much to myself. smile

Each to their own and live and let live is my motto, I hope that you get the answer your looking for. :-)

2. AshtonFirefly profile image69
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

At the risk of getting in the middle of a very bloody forum war regarding religion....
      I don't know of many religions that say we're going to hell. The only two that come to mind are Islam and Christianity.
      Some people say Christianity does, some say Christianity doesn't. Christians disagree on this...
      As far as muslims I don't know if they disagree on that.
      To regard all religion as not making sense because some of those religions say that everyone is going to hell seems to...be grouping them all together under that label when not all of them even believe in the idea of hell.
      I believe in a way of life, not a religion. I don't even like the word religion because of the connotation. I'm not into that. I believe what I believe...if it fits under someone else's label of "religion" then whatever I guess...
      that's just my opinion
      What about you? What do you believe?

1. RPirate profile image61
        RPirateposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't make this topic to cause war, i just want to see what people think when it comes to this topic. What i want to understand is why people would be willing to bite someone's head off if he'd say he doesn't believe in some god?

I believe in what i see, what's real, what makes me happy, makes me wonder and smile - Nature with a capital N. I believe we are a part of it as it produces all the qualities and resources we need to exist. There was no religions until humans being learned how to speak and write. This is were the smarter ones used their skills.

I'm sorry if this insults believers, I would never want to prove you wrong or make you think different. Who likes to hear that the are wrong about believing in something? Not just religion, it can be a football team, a political ideology, even insurance company. People defend what they believe in, that's why religions are so strong IMO.

I admire good things about religion, like Christmas, Wedding, it unites families and people. I admire everything about a religion as long as it causes positive, successful things. Even-though my "god" is nature, not a book written by other humans.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
          AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know you didn't create this topic to cause war; I made that statement because alot of people will turn it into war, with their remarks.

As far as your question as to why people are willing to bite someone's head off if they say they don't believe in some God, I guess it's just people's egotistical need to be right. I don't agree with it and it infuriates me. I prefer to try to understand why people believe what they believe. Unfortunately not all people care about understanding other people; they just care about being right and shoving their ideas down other people's throats. People have this innate "need" to devote themselves to a cause. Sometimes however the devotion to the cause becomes stronger than the actual adherence to the principles embraced by the "cause." In other words, people who claim to represent a loving God act like jerks in their attempt to "evangelize." Doesn't make sense.

Nothing wrong with having a different opinion. smile

1. calpol25 profile image60
            calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you ashton nothing wrong with having a different opinion smile

This is why many of us keep away from the religious threads because no one will ever agree and everyone believes he/she is right and the other is wrong.
            I have seen it happen hundreds of times here on HP and people have actually ended warring and fighting to prove the other wrong and hurt each other and others around them.

I wish people would just accept each others differences and live and let live. smile

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Medieval and bronze age superstitions and myths handed down over generations and brainwashed into children drive those kind of irrational beliefs. And, since there various peoples and cultures all over the world back then that wallowed in their own cultural superstitions and myths, we have a variety of religions as a result.

1. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Odd though how only one religion got an upgrade!
        Most religions are based around pleasures of the flesh; fertility rites, rain for crops, explanations of vegetative seasonal changes: obviously these are imaginations to explain things around them. The burning of children in the fire to molech is just a primitive practice of todays abortions.

But the God of the hebrews was interested in none of this. Yahweh is purely moral, he disliked sin and its evil effects on society. He went to extremes and capital punishments to erradicate the social problems we have today and the rest of the world has fallen prey to.

So if you want to repeat some nut job atheist viewpoint without looking into the matter yourself then go ahead, but remember

THIS IS WHAT BRAINWASHED PEOPLE DO
        enjoy smile

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You mean, how God did a 180 degree flip flop on His Word? You call that an upgrade? lol

And, your religion isn't? lol

Oh yes, I can see the morality of His extreme punishments. lol

No need to remind me. smile

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Religion is a surrealistic caricature of a tiny aspect of the Divine that appeals to the adherents of any particular branch or following. Imo.

The concept of hell is religion on an ego trip. It couldn't exist except in the minds of those who imagine it.

1. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We need to recall that in 1611 when the king james bible was published that it was a literal word for word translation. Then the bishops got a hold of it and put words in places that were not intended to be. Hell being a catholic tweak word and satan.. how can we honestly believe Job was talking about satan, when satan was not even a word until circa 900 AD.
           My point briefly is: Today we all have access to the original wordings of the hebrew and greek language and we can look for ourselves to see what word means what. We have centuries of investigation into the word of God. We have centuries of growth, albeit slow and not for unreasonable reasons, but culture and popularity and just taking the bible at face value without access to the actual language. New doctrine is on the horizon, new revelations are just budding and beginning to take root. Christianity is changing. More people are becoming more devoted to God. Churches are closing as God ends those ones He is not pleased with and shuffles His people around.
          To say the concept of hell is religion on an ego trip is to give no credit where credit is due and to entitle yourself to way to much credit.

3. whoisbid profile image60
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Most of the religions that say that those things you mention are either fundamentalist christian from Europe or America or extreme islamists. I see every little difference between these two groups claiming to possess these religions. They are both fanatical.. It is not the religion itself that has problems but certain people who like to brainwash teenagers and threaten those who are not in their groups.

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

"Even-though my "god" is nature". Same here. If nature is God, you can't exploit it for personal profit. If you are going to exploit nature then
    there comes religion, as rules for the exploitation and an emanation from some other place in space and time.

5. RPirate profile image61
    RPirateposted 12 years ago

Nice conversation, thanks for your opinions all smile

6. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 12 years ago

since humans began to think , some questions occured naturally...quest of answering those questions lead to religion...there are multiple religions because humans settled all across the globe and formed their own religions...do i believe in any?...Answer is no...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)