Good brain or a good heart?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (33 posts)
  1. richtwf profile image61
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

If you had to choose between having a good brain and a good heart - Which would you choose?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

good brain, then you can have good heart later because it is easier to have good heart. Good brain is partly genetic, so you don't have a choice, but you can improve of oourse

2. profile image52
      N. FRANCIS 2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

First I need have a good heart to be worthy of possessing a good brain.  By  having a good heart  you can afford to use a good brain.  Otherwise, it  won't serve any purpose in a productive way.  Am I right ?

3. will-be-expressed profile image61
      will-be-expressedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i don't exactly understand what you mean by good heart or good brain.
      We do say good heart, but off course everything happens in the brain, so when your thinking is good, i.e you have good moral standards and you follow them then we call that being good at heart. everything originates in the mind.

4. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

okay...well considering i need both to stay alive, i would choose both.  however, if i have to choose one, i just need to ask a few questions before answering.  when you say choosing a good brain or heart, then that would still mean i would still have both right? Even if either one wasn't working properly, and the other was, then i would still have them though right? after all, the body can't function without either one.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Depends on how bad is bad.

3. wilsonallen01 profile image60
    wilsonallen01posted 13 years ago

Always choose good brain. Not heart. As in your heart all type of emotions are there but in your mind you can take logical decisions.

Thank You

4. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

good brain

5. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 13 years ago

It depends.In case of choosing a friend or partner-I prefer someone with good heart.

6. basaltbezel profile image58
    basaltbezelposted 13 years ago

A good brain.

Why? Because a good heart will do their best to comfort a friend in pain and dying from cancer.

A good brain belonging to a cold person can still relieve that pain and even cure that person.

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I love good brain. Though good heart is tasty, too - so it's a tough call, most likely depends on how you cook them wink

8. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

unfortunately, i have a much better heart than brain.  My husband is the brainy one, so together we do well.....  I always wish i had a better grasp of learning, but it has always been difficult for me.

9. greatinfosite profile image59
    greatinfositeposted 13 years ago

I'll choose to have good heart as i always believe that having a good kind heart, you can change the people around you and perhaps making a positive change to their lives.

10. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

good heart, brain can be cultured and improved but heart can't be. you can ask for suggestion from other but there's no way out to borrow a heart.

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good heart, a good mind can be cultivated ,  I would prefer the heart of gold !!

11. dpinoy13 profile image59
    dpinoy13posted 13 years ago

good heart, its better to not learn anything and stay at home than die painfully and let your family down

12. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I'll take the good brain over the good heart anytime.

13. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Come to think of it; a really good brain would by definition see the value of a good heart, and would therefore induce its creation. That way you get both. smile

1. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. This is where most of our problems originate. We seem to think that supporting good brains (with on regard to whether they are good hearts) to reach their full potential is some kind of a noble cause. Who invented nuclear weapons and the like? Stupid good brains I think.

14. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

I like the good brain, but I would say good heart
    because you need to be good to be a good person and to go to heaven!

15. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

A good brain is more useful.

16. inspiredbydg profile image60
    inspiredbydgposted 13 years ago

Both are essential to keep both good.

17. CYBERSUPE profile image59
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

A good loving heart that is considerate and compassionate of others. Perhapes those in Wahington could use a good heart insead of the brain they have.

18. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

A good heart for sure - this is what dictates whether your life will be happy or miserable whether your inner light bulb is bright or dim.

19. libby101a profile image59
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

Well If I've got a good heart I can work on the brain through studies! So I will take the good heart!

20. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

I do not agree with Will-be-expressed that everything originates in the brain.  The brain is one more of our bodily organs.  I suspect that it orginates very little.  Rather, it can be likened to a extremely complex switchboard that allows our 'mind' (that nebulous, indefinable aspect so many of us think of as ourselves) to manifest registable thoughts through the physical body, e.g. talking, writing, drawing, etc..

But to get back to good brain or good heart?   The question in itself has generated a lot of answers if only because the word 'good' can be interpreted in different ways (a somantic problem) moral, or physically healthy?   I think the majority interpreted how the questioner probably meant it to be as: 'a kind, loving person - a person with a generous and forgiving disposition.'   And I have to concur with most of their opinions, a good heart is far more important than a good brain.  For a good heart, in this instance, IS the man or woman, i.e. the part of them they'll take with them when they leave 'Planet Earth' at their earth-life's end.

21. Jashan Bal profile image55
    Jashan Balposted 12 years ago

heart need to be balanced wid brain. both are important

22. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I have written quite a bit on the subject of intelligence.  I have an interesting history in that regard: when I entered schooling as a young child,  I was initially classified as retarded.  A few years later, I was reclassified as "genius".   Not just genius but omigod-off-the-charts genius. Quite a shift, let me tell you :-)

I suppose because of that I became interested in the testing and qualification of intelligence, with particular regard to the extremely bright - those who TEST that way, that is.  That "test" part is important, but that's a subject for another day.

Whatever it is that gives me and others like me our "abilities" at those tests isn't necessarily a gift.  It's often much more of a curse, separating you from other people because you can't understand them and they can't understand you.  The mind that can whip through a "don't worry, nobody finishes these" test in half an hour doesn't work like the rest of the world.  Not at ALL.

The differences interfere with normal human relationships.  That's why super-geeks congregate together in very small groups - they can't stand normal people and normal people can't stand them.  It's isolating and it's not healthy.  Many extremely bright people are also extremely unhappy.

Fortunately, I realized that fairly early and have worked hard to become "normal".  I haven't succeeded entirely, I'm still a very odd duck indeed, but I have gotten better.  Much better, and I am far happier for it.  Very happy, in fact.  Maybe not so "wicked smaht" today, but happy as a clam and that's a better place to be.

Being wicked smaht is no asset.  I'd take the "good heart" any day.

23. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

I'd take the "good heart" any day.
    I copied it from Pcunix, lol

But it is a bonus if I am  a little bit intelligent

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A little bit is great.  Smarter than the masses, but still able to interact with them.

I'm going to write a another hub about this, maybe tomorrow because I have to go earn some money today. 

Habee's note about the Newt could be very, very true.  I don't really intend to get into politics in that hub, but I think I can touch on that a bit too.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like that..

24. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

This reminds me of a description I just read about Newt: big brain, small heart. lol

25. dipless profile image69
    diplessposted 12 years ago

A good brain would be amazing, brilliance speaks for itself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)