Brazil is booming! Would you consider living there?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Escobana profile image75
    Escobanaposted 12 years ago

I'm considering to move to Brazil next year. The country is enormous so it's impossible to say where, but I'm thinking of Ubatuba near the coast of Sao Paolo.

Would you recommend any other location in Brazil and why?

1. Blond Logic profile image93
      Blond Logicposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi,
      I moved to Brazil 2 years ago. We bought a place in the state of Ceara. We are about 10 minutes from the beach and have 3 hectares. The price of land is still inexpensive up here.

It depends on what you are looking for. The weather where we are is always 30°C with a low of about 25°C at night.  If you want it cooler, you will need to head to the mountains or further south.

If you are going to work, further south will be your best bet. Where I am is still remote but everyone is starting to build more. If you are out of the city, the roads will be poorly laid cobbles or sand/dirt roads.The infrastructure I believe is one of the reasons Brazil has lagged behind in development.

If you are coming from the States or Europe, to achieve a similar standard of what you are accustom to, you will need to head south.
      Where I am, the people are very welcoming and  friendly with a definite relaxed way of thinking. There is a high level of illiteracy here which is slowly changing with the younger generations.

Although property is inexpensive, cars are expensive as are other luxury goods. The quality of Brazilian made goods is generally poor and imports are expensive. Take a look at Mercardo Livre. It is the Brazilian Ebay.

Wherever you end up, I wish you well.

Escobanaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for your response. Very detailed. I'm definitely taking a look at the Brazilian Ebay. In terms of prices and comparing it will be interesting.

Ubatuba will be like living a life I'm used to, considering the standard of living here in Spain, Europe.
        I'm curious to see what life will be like but if I'm lucky I won't be starting on my own. My boyfriend is Brazilian and has left already to start things up :-)

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought you just had a thread recently abut splitting up and starting out afresh on your own?

Is this the same boyfriend? Tell him to sling his hook.

2. profile image0
      Daniella Lopezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would not consider moving there because the women have nicer butts than I! yikes hehe

2. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

One thing I would suggest to avoid doing if moving to Brazil is getting pregnant.
    A set of dicephalic parapagus twins have just been born, the second such set in Brazil this year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … Jesus.html

I have no idea of the causes, but two unrelated sets in one country almost suggests it could be something environmental.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ha!! How many people are born in Brazil every year?? So 2 cases amongst them isn't a big thing. But ya; 2 from the same country within a year rather unusual

1. IzzyM profile image87

Did you know there has only been 14 reported cases of dicephalic twins born in the last 200 years?

What are the odds against having two sets born in the same year in the same country?

Just 14? Wow!!
          14/200 = 0.07 per year
          Take it as 250 countries there are more but just for this research by the scientist typing this big_smile
          0.07/250 = 0.00028 per country per year.
          So 2/0.00028% = 7142.85% higher than the usual smile
          Hmm good point you got there big_smile

That too 2 of them are from this years brazil births

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thank God all that college education is working!

PS I couldn't work that out, but knew the figures would be phenomenal, thanks!

Haha big_smile Am I supposed to say thanks or were you being sarcastic? lol
              But, surely that's a whopping increase in the %age!

1. IzzyM profile image87

Not being sarcastic. The thanks is genuine, and you just need to say "de nada" for working it out.
                Basically the chances of two babies being born in Brazil of this condition in the same year are almost off the charts.
                Something is wrong.

Yup I agree charts usually have 0 - 100% and not 7k%
                  De nada big_smile

Good night - I'm off now it's almost Christmas eve here 1 hour to go big_smile

2. Escobana profile image75
      Escobanaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lucky for me I don't want children:-) Guess that makes it all less complicated, seeing the thread below.

3. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

I nearly went there for work as the company I worked for was opening a plant there - but one of the other managers went there ahead of me and was staying in a hotel.... he walked out of the hotel to go to the plant one morning and someone walked up to him in the few yards from the hotel door to the car, put a gun to his head and shot him to take his watch and wallet!!!! Needless to say none of us went there after that!!!!!!!!
    I just hope things have improved in the last 15 years!!!

4. jcales profile image53
    jcalesposted 11 years ago

It is a place with stark contrasts. In some areas it is as safe and friendly as living in the 60s and 70s (and may feel like it from the neighborhood customs) and big cities like Sao Paulo and Rio so much brazen crime you think you are in a action movie if you make it out alive.
    If in RJ, do not watch RJ news, otherwise you will some of the most horrible crimes you will ever see occurring weekly, sometimes every few days and I grew up in L.A. so I know bad crimes. Rio is very dangerous. If you must go, do not look like a foreigner, dress like locals & your mannerisms. See the tourist sites Pao de acucar, Christo and get out !!
    I am not the only one to say this. A retired soldier from Iraq said the same thing. 
    I have been in and out the country the last 10 yrs. Cear, Fortaleza is nice and so is the southern part.  I do love some parts but feel my Portuguese will never be up to par to communicate the way I want with locals on an intelligent level.
    Boa Sorte amigos

Escobanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for all the info! I wasn't really considering a life in city like Sao Paolo. Ubautba to most of the people I talk to is very unknown.

It's a the coast of Sao Paolo and more or less a hidden gem. Popular amongst surfers, 62 hotels in a town of 80.000 people and one beautiful beach after the other.

Easy life, long summers, soft winters and rainy at times because of being in the tropics. In 5 days I'm finally leaving for my first peek of 5 weeks.

TO IZZYM....I totally overlooked your comment 6 months ago...I did indeed have a thread about finding another path alone. Love thought otherwise and my plan to head on alone lasted for a few weeks:-)

After a total of 8 months I am finally going to be reunited with my sweetheart! Love didn't get less...YEAH! Brazil....here I come! I'm totally ready for a new experience!

5. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 11 years ago

China, India are booming too! Should you go?

My love lives there so....no China and no India to me I'd say....Would you go and follow your loved one if you'd had the chance?

6. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 11 years ago

No I would not had I been a woman. Because people change. You have to go there because of a job opportunity or because you always dreamt of Brazil but never for a man!

The beauty of change is that you can change and grow together as a couple. But I can tell you are not at all a believer of love and it's power to experience both good and bad times.

Read some of my hubs about the other reasons for me to move there and you might understand a little better why. Have a wonderful day:-)

7. Jaynie2000 profile image84
    Jaynie2000posted 11 years ago

We have a few acquaintances from Brazil. Though I've always wanted to visit, they make it seem as if it is quite unsafe if you aren't a local and do not know where to go. I realize that one should not generalize their responses, but this information is based on advice from Brazilian citizens. The beaches are beautiful but we've been advised that unless we're accompanied by locals we'd be better off visiting other countries in South America.

Brazil can be quite unsafe but Brazil is as big as a continent. It really matters where and how you want to live your life.

I am here now, in Brazil and I can only compare Sao Paolo and Ubatuba. Sao Paolo is a dirty and noisy place to live at. Too much people and too much traffic. Of course a lot of violence in the areas where I haven´t been.

Ubatuba is paradise on earth. It´s quiet, easy going life style, no pollution and the fresh air of the sea. I have no doubts in settling down here very soon.

Brazil is different than Europe. It´s a different world with different standards. I am an easy person in terms of adjusting to new places and I feel at home here. If you feel at home in a new world, you normally can build a life little by little.

In Sao Paolo I will never feel at home:-)

8. previewmediagroup profile image61
    previewmediagroupposted 11 years ago

I'm from Brazil and been living in the U.S. for nearly 20 years. Brazil is a lot different compared to what it was when I left. There was a strong resurgence of the middle class over the last couple of years which created a wave of consumption and quick – but somehow disorderly – economic growth. Escalating violence in the early 90's was the main reason why I left the country. According to friends and family, that hasn't changed much since my departure.
    At this point you're probably down in Brazil already and considering that you're moving to the northern coastal area of Sao Paulo state, chances are you'll find the laid back lifestyle you're looking for. Brazil welcomes foreigners like no other country and you'll fell like you're home in no time.
    For all interested in learning more about Brazil, I invite you to visit brazilpreview.net. There you'll find also a survival Portuguese course for travelers so you can enjoy your next trip to Brazil even better.

At this point I am in Brazil:-) I´m loving it! My answer above tells you about the differences I´ve seen so far.

I´m certainly interested in the website you posted. My Portuguese goes very well, due to my knowledge of Spanish and speaking Spanish fluently. To build a life here, the first thing I will do though is find myself a good private school for Portuguese classes.

Other than that, building a new life comes easier to me than others. I know how to adapt, I don´t feel lost easily in a foreign country and I try to respect the differences in culture as much as possible.

Thanks for stopping by here! Your information was very valuable:-)

9. aware profile image66
    awareposted 11 years ago

Brazil is booming  cus the Olympics is coming there.

Your absolutely right! Because of this Brazil is not just booming economy wise. Now that I´m here I notice life got more expensive here over the last 4 years.

It´s still cheap to live at the beach if you compare housing prices with Europe or the U.S.A. but Brazilian life is adapting to higher standards.

Yet I´m loving it so far! It really matters where you live and what you look for in your personal life. For now I can´t wait to settle down here:-)

10. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

I visited when Brazil was part of the BRIC nations, and growth was promising at that time.  Visiting is enough.  I am a native Californian, and I will die in California.  I will be taxed to death, but oh, well!  I would not be happy in Brazil.

Great point! Why live somewhere if you know you won´t be happy there. I should go and visit California one day. Sounds promising;-)

Growth still is going on here in Ubatuba and Brazilian government knows very well how to tax people to death here as well. Lucky for me I´ll bring my safe and steady income with me in Euro´s and they do pretty well these days when you exchange them for Brazilian reales.

Guess I´m lucky AND happy at the same time:-)

11. jacharless profile image73
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

Ah, Rio, my wife's dream destination, like forever.
    Mine has always been either Russia or Uruguay. Still undecided.
    If -rather when- my web project launches successfully, it is pretty much a guarantee, as I can work from anywhere on the planet, so long as there is an internet connection station {aptly called a hub} within 1,600 kilometers of my macbook. big_smile

James

Russia seems a little cold in comparison with tropical Brazil:-) and Uruguay I have no image of what so ever:-( Whenever you get the chance with your wife, I´d say: GO!

It´s worth taking a risk once in a while and see what´s behind the horizon....Good luck with your project! Escobana

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)