Keeping Christ in Christmas

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (43 posts)
  1. ALL4JESUS profile image74
    ALL4JESUSposted 12 years ago

Any idea of who created that great graphic? I have seen in  bumper sticker but know nothing of its origin.
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5941462_f248.jpg

1. tlmcgaa70 profile image61
      tlmcgaa70posted 12 years agoin reply to this

i have no idea...but i DO know that the reason CHRIST is falling out of christmas is because HE never was in it. CHRIST and christmas have nothing to do with each other. it is a holiday that was celebrated long before CHRIST was born. by sun god worshipers. some early pope decided to bring pagans into the church by combining CHRISTS birth with the pagan celebration. same goes for easter. just because CHRIST was crucified during the pagans easter (named after the goddess ishtar) festivities, people decided it was a festival in CHRISTs honor. not so. in truth, CHRIST was not born in the winter nor did HE get crucified in the spring.

2. profile image60
      Dranposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I created this when I was in school at a young age for a contest for their logo design. I was deemed the winner out of all schools in the diocese. I have proof but that will be sealed until requested.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I can't imagine anything more divisive. At the one time of year we can pretty much all come together in peace and love here is someone insisting that everyone follow a particular belief and celebrate a myth instead of accepting each other as they are.

Just another strike against the far right Christian coalition that demands everyone believe as they do.

3. GodTalk profile image57
    GodTalkposted 12 years ago

The word Christmas is actually short for Christ's mass and was intended as an annual commemoration of the birth of Jesus the Christ into this world. When you use the title Christ it is the Greek translation of the word messiah which means "annointed one". In the Old Testament they annointed prophets, priests and kings and Jesus is all three, as well as the Son of God.  So when we celebrate Christmas, what we are actually doing is celebrating the birth of the messiah into this world, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Jesus our Saviour.

This day, intended to be a Christian celebration, has been taken by the world and commercialized and generalized into merely a time to come together in peace and love and robbed of its true meaning. Most people don't even think of peace and love anymore. They wonder what Santa Claus has put under their Christmas tree or in their stockings. And then they wonder how they will pay off their credit cards the rest of the year  because they have overspent their budgets.

It is interesting that the world has stolen a Christian holiday and made it into something it was never intended to be, then they call us divisive. If you want a holiday celebrating merely peace, harmony and love, why not choose a different day all together? Just don't choose Yom Kippur or the month of Ramadan. Then you'd have similar problems to what you now face.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL! Yet, another Christian who doesn't know that they stole another holiday to make it their own and then tells others to find another day. lol

2. DoubleScorpion profile image79
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Christmas was first called the Feast of the Nativity by the Church and was introduced in the 4th Century as was mentioned by someone in an earlier post. It wasn't changed to Christ's Mass until later on. So the time of year that Christmas is celebrated was indeed "pagan" in origin.

It hasn't been stolen from the Christian, but I agree it has become seriously commercialized. But since it's current form was mostly influenced by the USA and everyone likes to claim that the USA was build on Christian foundations, That would make todays version of Christmas something directly resulting from those who claim to be Christians. Not the Pagans, Jewish, Muslims, but the Christian.

And did you know that Christmas didn't become a recognized Holiday in the USA until July 1874.

1. GodTalk profile image57
        GodTalkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The celebration that we call Christmas would not even be around if it weren't for the Christ child that has come to be associated with it. The pagan religions that the season was borrowed from do not even exist today. This season is only remembered at all because of Christ.

The Feast of the Nativity of Jesus Christ, as we have it today was established in the mid-fourth century after the last great persecution around 330 A.D. It was originally celebrated on December 23rd. Early on, the Feast of the Nativity was celebrated along with the Feast of the Epiphany. According to St.Clement of Alexandria, who lived from A.D. 150 to 215, the Feast of Ephiphany broke off from the Feast of Nativity around A.D. 200.

The reason Christmas wasn't celebrated in early America was because much of the decadence associated with the pagan aspect of the holiday had came over from Europe. Indeed, for a short time in the 17th century, Oliver Cromwell and his Puritan forces vowed to rid Europe of its decadence and for a short period outlawed Christmas.

The Pilgrims, who came to America in 1620,  are responsible for Christmas not being celebrated  early in our country's history. That is because they were even more orthodox in their beliefs than Cromwell, and didn't like the pagan aspect which the world outside of the Christian church continued to celebrate. It was actually outlawed in Boston for a while. There were, however, groups that continued to celebrate it. Captain John Smith and his followers were among them.

After the American Revolution, English customs fell out of favor, including Christmas. In fact Congress was in session December 25th 1789. This was the first Christmas under America's new Constitution. Christmas was finally declared a federal holiday on June 26th 1870.

This holiday, no matter how you try to talk about the pagan festivals that it has replaced, is here because Christ was born into this world. He is the reason for the season. No serious student of history can doubt this.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image79

I understand the reason it is now called Christmas. And it was first called the Feast of the Nativity ( you are right brought in by the Pope around the middle of the 4th Century which I already stated).

Jesus wasn't born on the 25th of December so why would a a celebration of his birth be done on that day, instead of his actual date of birth. Either in the spring (birthing season) or in the fall (preparing for wintering the animal). Which is what the bible says. He was born while shepards were tending their flocks. Animals in winter shelters wouldn't require tending outdoors.

He was also born during a Census. The romans typically would do a census around the final harvest time. (September-October timeframe)

I would think that the Birth of Jesus would be more accurate being celebrated around say Halloween time of year.

But of course all of the Pagan traditions celebrated the Birth/Rebirth of the Sun around the Winter solstice timeframe. And if I wanted to convert pagans to a Christian belief system, I would also have placed the celebration of the birth of the "Son of God" around this time of year as well, regardless of when he was actually born.

And yes, there are still those who still hold to those Old Pagan beliefs from around the 3rd and 4th century. But just as it is in Christianity, it might not be exactly what it was when it was first started, but the base faith is still observed.

Yule, the Winter Solstice, Saturnia are still celebrated by many still to this day. The numbers might not match those of the Christian belief, but by those who believe in the Old Pagan Ways, these celebrations are held instead of Christmas.

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I have no problem with non-Christians celebrating Dec. 25th. Instead of all the confusion, maybe they should just refer to it as "Winter Holiday" or "Festivus" instead of "Christ's mass."

Non-Christian believers do call it something else. It is called Yule, Winter Solstice, Saturnia.

It is some right wing Christian types that complain that people are saying Happy Holidays instead of saying Merry Christmas, that you hear the Non-Christian believer types using the Merry Christmas terms.

(General Statement) It would be nice if everyone would actually study the history behind the Holidays that they observe to have a better understanding of what it is and why it is celebrated. Many have no clue about the when, why or how Christmas even came about and started becoming a celebrated holiday.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

LOL! That's like allowing your neighbor to borrow "your" lawnmower after you took it from him last summer. lol

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not sure I'm following your logic. Yes, I know all about the history of Christmas and the intertwining of religious and pagan traditions.

Then, you would be well aware of the fact people celebrated this holiday long before the mythical Christ had anything to do with it. It was actually celebrated for real reasons rather than religious fantasies.

Which is why I'm so happy you have no problem non-believers celebrate this holiday. smile

5. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I made myself a promise to stay the heck out of this part of the site, but I keep getting drawn back in..

I agree that it is extraordinarily ignorant for Christians to complain, however mildly, about others usurping "their" holiday.  It's one of the reasons that I wish religious history were taught in public schools - I think we'd have far less fundamentalism and far more tolerance.

However, one thing to note about solstice celebrations:  these almost certainly always had religious significance, so the Christian "theft" was really more a matter of substituting one religion for another.  From an atheists point of view, worshipping Mithra and worshipping Jesus are exactly the same thing, so that "theft" really didn't change much for those who willingly or unwillingly embraced Christianity.

Our secular usage (which involves far more than just atheists) is a more radical shift, so perhaps the Christian argument has a bit more validity than we might care to give it.

Just a thought..  now I suppose I'll have just about everyone disliking me :-)

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very insightful post.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I bet you are one of very few who would think so..

6. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

I think it's interesting that so many Christians want to keep Christ in Christmas....yet how much thinking do they do about Christ during Christmas? hmm I have yet to meet one that actually spent more time doing that than doing the "traditional" Christmas stuff...but that's just me...

7. GodTalk profile image57
    GodTalkposted 12 years ago

The point is simple. No Christ, No Christmas celebration. No reason to argue this in the first place, because there would not be a celebration to argue over. The Christmas celebration is alive and well today, not because of its pagan origins, but because Christ is associated with it.

lol lol <--- coveted double laughie award

Perhaps, the point is too simple.

Just ask yourself some questions. How many people even know about the pagan origins of this season? If you took the more than one billion people away who celebrate Christmas how much would it be talked about every year, or even known about worldwide? It would die out quickly as a holiday of any significance.

Apart from most Christians?

If we took the Christ out of Christmas, the entire world might celebrate once again.

The Christ part would certainly die out quickly, but the holiday would always remain.

smile

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course it would remain.  Taking out Christ won't affect Santa, the elves or Frosty one iota.  It won't stop anyone from shooting their eye out with a BB gun and it won't stop Rudolph's nose from glowing.  It wouldn't even shut down the tree farms that let nothing get larger than 8 feet or so.

I haven't questioned a billion people, but my opinion is that Christ is by now a very small part of Christmas.  To some it is of supreme importance, but to the majority Santa, Rudolph and Frosty are more in their minds at this time of year.

I see your point when it comes to what Christmas has become, but not its original intent when it was first celebrated in the 4th century. As I stated earlier, Christmas has become a commercial holiday that has been exploited for profit. Which is a shame since it neither celebrates what the atheists or the Christians are arguing over. It is merely a way to boost the troubled economy every 25th of December at the expense of those who really can't afford it. They spend most of the year paying back what they've put on their Visas and Mastercards to buy presents that will soon be forgotten shortly after the Christmas tree comes down.

Sadly, this is very true. But some of us still hold to the true purpose. Maybe if we keep true to our self and our "guns", more will come around.

1. Pcunix profile image90
                  Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So the plan is to keep annoying people who don't share your beliefs and they'll come around?

Great plan.

1. profile image0
                    Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that typical of both the religious and atheists? It seems that way here on the forums. smile

2. DoubleScorpion profile image79

No, the plan is...to do what we can for others who are less fortunate than ourselves. And I am not talking about praying for them. Actually getting out and lending a helping hand. 

As I have told you before, I am not Christian. But I do have my personal beliefs, which one would notice I don't push on others.

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image61
      tlmcgaa70posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Godtalk...dont you think, that if GOD wanted us to celebrate the birth of HIS Son, HE would have given us the exact date of HIS birth? GOD gave man the festivals HE wanted them to observe and keep...so it just makes sense that if HE wanted HIS Sons birthday observed and kept as well, HE would have told us to...however I notice that exact date is not in the bible...so maybe GOD kept it out knowing what man would do.  and as you can see today, by the many non christians who also keep and observe this festival, it really has nothing to do with CHRIST...just the fact that is titled CHRISTmas is the only reason christians celebrate it...if it had not been i can almost guarantee that no christian would be keeping this festival.

I agree that the celebration as it is today has moved far away from its original intent by the 4th century church. And we all should reevaluate why we still observe it. But I see nothing against doing something to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ into this world. It and the resurrection are the major events in world history that have changed it forever. That is indeed something to praise God for and to commemorate.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

LOL! Just like no Christians have ever kept and celebrated Halloween? lol

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Halloween was a Christian holiday, before the rest of us added on. All Hallows Eve.

So what? Today, many Christians reject it because they believe it celebrates the occult and paganism. Or, have you not heard that?

8. SaDDOS profile image59
    SaDDOSposted 12 years ago

By working together, we can has many more christ in christmas. We can has infinite Christ in Christmas.

9. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Christ gave no teachings to celebrate his birth day.

10. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Jesus' teachings and character should be followed; if one is a true Christians; no need for any celebrations.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)