Suicide and Hell

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

For those who believe in the Christian idea of an afterlife, including the existence of hell, is it part of your belief that people who commit suicide will go to hell, because of commiting a mortal sin?  Or do you believe that God would not punish someone who has suffered enough and been driven to taking their own lives?

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I asked christian on this forum , and most of them said they would rather die, than to be force to another religion. Would that be suicide?

1. profile image0
        Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, that would be martyrdom.  Suicide would be physically taking your own life.  Many near death experiencers who came back after suicide attempts describe going to hell.

1. pedrog profile image61
          pedrogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That interpretation probably comes from someone with a religious background where people are made believe in things like hell.

Near death experiences are pretty much explained, no need for supernatural explanations anymore:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic … near-death

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

My question survey  to Christian was...

If you were captured by Muslim terrorist  and they were killing Christians that day and you must convert to Muslim or be killed, would you?

Most forum  Christian said they would not convert to Muslim  and be killed

To me that would be suicide sin , because once you got away you can convert back to Christian and I'm sure God would forgive you

1. profile image0
            Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My interest in the beliefs surrounding suicide began at a recent meeting at a Spiritualist friends's house, when the discussion got around to suicide.  Although the many accounts of near-death-experiences of those who attempted suicide and returned to tell the tale, the majority told of the eternal fires of hell and seeing souls in agony as they burnt without ending.  My Spiritualists friends did not accept the belief in hell at all, believing that a loving god would never allow such a situation.  Yet, the same friends believe in the heavenly tales of those who have returned from death's door.  I reasoned that either both are to be accepted or neither, and that selecting the nice bits is perhaps what modern religion is about.

Most Christian members would most likely join Christianity due to the fear of going to hell and the social club are easily accessable.

Even in the modern religion times, how do you ignore the 22 verses about hell in King James Bible?

Why not just cherry pick from the bible what you like and get rid of the whole faith and fear of God and Satan thing.

2. Seek-n-Find profile image70
      Seek-n-Findposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would say that suicide is not supported by the Bible.  One of the ten commandments is "Do not Murder" and suicide is self-murder. The belief that suicide is an unpardonable sin, however, I believe comes from the Catholic Religion, not from the Bible.  I would think that God has compassion and mercy and just because a person commits suicide, does not mean he condemns them to hell.  Suicide would be at the encouragement of Satan.  The enemy hates--it is his nature to hate.  He especially hates those who are  God's children.  I remember a time in my life when I was so depressed and miserable that I wanted nothing more than to "cease existing."  But something I heard back in Middle School kept repeating through my mind:  "Suicide is an eternal solution to a temporary problem."  I cried out to God to help and I did have a very unusual sense of peace and the presence of God was very tangible.  But there was still a battle to go through to get free from that way of thinking.  I didn't realize that not all my thoughts were inspired by me--some were inspired by God and others by the enemy.  I learned how to accept God's way of thinking and reject the enemy's way of thinking (which is based on lies) and I eventually came to see things very clearly and today, I'm not even the same person that I was in those days.  So much healing and freedom has occurred in my life. I guess I kind of went off topic a little, but I'm passionate about this topic because people who have been very close to me have made this decision so this question hits close to home.  Hope my answer helped somewhat.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Off topic but I used to work in the medical records department of a big city hospital and it amazed me how many records passed my desk of teens who had committed suicide.

Suicide deaths are greater than murder terror and war deaths combined worldwide.

If it doesn’t bleed it does not lead the news and our home land security

3. pedrog profile image61
      pedrogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, i'm no believer, but i was indoctrinated for many years so i have some knowledge on this issue, the only thing you will find in the bible about suicide is this:

Ecclesiastes 7:17
      New King James Version (NKJV)
      17 Do not be overly wicked,
      Nor be foolish:
      Why should you die before your time?

So killing yourself is a sin like any other, and can be forgiven as long as you repent for it, probably Adolph Hitler is in haven as he was a good catholic, if his last thought was about repent or forgiveness it is done, ticket for heaven.

The only things that cannot be forgiven, and you will go straight to hell for this, are  rejecting Christ and blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Mark 16:16
      New International Version (NIV)
      16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Mark 3:28-29
      New International Version (NIV)
      28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”

So killing yourself is no big sin and you will go to heaven as long as you repent and ask for forgiveness smile

1. couturepopcafe profile image59

But how does one repent after they're dead?

4. couturepopcafe profile image59

Haven't taken the time to read any of the comments, so this may be redundant.  I think only Catholics believe in mortal sin.  Christians in general don't classify sins and if the forgiveness of sins is contingent upon believing, then suicide would be forgiven if the person was a believer.

1. mischeviousme profile image59
        mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No offense but, I went to a baptist church and a methodist church and the list goes on. I saw that sin and the avoidance of sin, was a running theme in most christian venues.

2. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

If God is good and worth following then He would recognise that's one who has committed suicide has suffered enough. In fact the people who most need His love a those who committed suicide.

Besides which it is the Church that defined this as a mortal sin.

At the end of the day martyrdom isn't so different. Both result in someone killing themselves; it is only the reason behind the act which is different.

3. Donald Jayhan profile image61
    Donald Jayhanposted 12 years ago

If your asking for permission to kill yourself, I would say you'd go to hell. Other times I would honestly say that I lean towards the idea that God also says that he gave his ord, and he can take it back too. Which opens up the idea that he could take back saying that he would send you to hell too.

4. Donald Jayhan profile image61
    Donald Jayhanposted 12 years ago

ord,... I meant to spell word..

5. Kyle Payne profile image59
    Kyle Payneposted 12 years ago

The Bible speaks adamantly about the fact that once one is saved anything they do does not cause them to spend their afterlife eternally in Hell. So I must suicide does not mean that that on would go to Hell, unless of course they were not saved Biblically.

If Babies do not get saved,? do they go off in live in limbo land or get cut  into space?

1. Kyle Payne profile image59
        Kyle Payneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They would go straight to Heaven, because they have not yet reached to age of accountability.

Maybe I could do that too, like move to a country where Christianity  do not practice and I could be in heaven too.

1. Kyle Payne profile image59
            Kyle Payneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well sir you can now God many ways not just religion. God can reveal Himself personally to you. So a simple move would not do it, plus you have already heard what is needed for you to attain the age of accountability.

Dam!!! Can’t escaped the mob

Most people on earth are not even aware of the Bible, and they are the lucky ones.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
                Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a valid point that Christianity fails to address. If I'm never told about Christ how can I be sent to hell? So a Christian might say that in those cases people are judged upon what they have done in life. Therefore as the vast majority of people do not accept Christ after being told, (the point where the Christian says their work is done) then is it better that Chrst is not preached a all?

Agree

Keep thou Religion to thou self

? How will the fear of God and Satan gather record selling Christian memberships  and keep being the World champion of soul taking?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)